Start by marking “Programming in Objective-C 2.0” as Want to Read:
Programming in Objective-C 2.0

Programming in Objective-C 2.0

Objective-C is an object-oriented computer programming language that is a superset of NASI C and provides classes and message passing similar to Smalltalk. It is the native programming language for Mac OS X Leopard as well as the iPhone and iPod Touch.
Paperback, Second Edition, 600 pages
Published November 1st 2008 by Addison-Wesley Professional

To ask other readers questions about Programming in Objective-C 2.0, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Programming in Objective-C 2.0

Start your review of Programming in Objective-C 2.0
Alex
Jan 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
I've recently dived head-first into the Mac/Objective-C/Cocoa world. I have scads of related titles sitting around my home and office. I've been waiting awhile for this book to come out as I was looking for a good up-to-date reference on the Objective-C language.

As an overview of important concepts and a desktop reference this book didn't disappoint. I basically skimmed the book in about three days and filled a good amount of gaps in my Obj-C knowledge.

One downside to a perspective reader is th
Igor
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is excellent book for every beginner in Objective-C. I had previous experience with object oriented programming but I had no experience with C or Objective-C, I started to develop applications before reading any books. After I read this book I started to develop more quickly and more optimized code, it helped me to eliminate memory leaks in my applications. I learned the basics and most common practices in Objective-C. All in all great and essential book for every starter in Objective-C.
Heather
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
I expected the book to be out of date (it was), but I also expected to get a good grounding in the basics of Objective-C (plus, it's the only one I could get from my library).

I think this book suffers from trying to be a little bit of everything to everyone.

It's written in a manner that could almost be called 'intro to programming', but yet fails to adequately describe many critical features of object oriented programming and the foundation of C (don't get me started on the section for polymorph
Tom
Aug 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a really nice overview of Objective-C programming, and I also appreciated the format. Having learned C, C++, C# and also Java in my time, I find far too many texts begin with procedural programming, and then tackle object-oriented programming (especially books on languages like C++, which draw from C).

I bought this book because I am a beginner to Objective-C, and want to learn iPhone programming. The book could have done a bit more to explain the graphics frameworks available--there were
Linda
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
This was somewhat disappointing. It was too basic to be of much use to me and where it could have been of use, it tried to stay so general that it never quite managed.

I think beginners might be better suited to a book that doesn't try to pretend that Objective C is used anywhere but OS X or iOS like this one tries. And intermediate and advanced users can look elsewhere.

The edition I read was also somewhat out of date and appears to predate Snow Leopard and iOS 5 with the relatively major change
Baptzmoffire
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very thorough, although I think the language could be a bit daunting to some. If you're intelligent and you're not afraid of getting used to a few "big" terms, this is the book for you. I love that he assumes you're an educated, thinking individual if you've picked up this book, and doesn't treat you like a moron. This is not a "For Dummies" type of book, but it is very, very concise and can teach you the basics of Objective-C in one fell swoop.
Nathan
Dec 31, 2010 rated it liked it
The section on the language core is well described through object oriented principles, although the rest of the book is lacking in relevance. And why still, when absolutely no one needs to write math classes and functions anymore, must all the examples be of this nature. It may be consistent but it's not at all useful.

Read it for Part 1, get other book to learn how to use the frameworks and iOS.
Leonard
Jan 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
A very well written book for all audiences. I would highly recommend this book for anyone who isn't already familiar with the C programming language. In fact a very large portion of the book is spent going over the basics, but like most OO developers I haven't written a C program in a decade so going back over the basics was beneficial. The chapter on memory management could have been explained better, fortunately the iphone developer's website does a great job covering this topic.
Chinarut Ruangchotvit
Jul 25, 2011 marked it as to-read
if your goal is to create an iPhone app and you're already familiar with C, skimming this book should be sufficient to familiarize yourself with Objective C syntax. the chapter on iPhone development just gives you a taste, I recommend you get a dedicated text assuming you're still on the bandwagon!
Ray Pace
Mar 02, 2013 rated it liked it
I found the book a good read and learned about objective c.
I find it hard to go back too as a reference when I have a question.
The index appears to be very poor or incomplete so I spend time searching for things I remember reading about sometime earlier.
Mikhail Kumachev
Jul 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
Really nice book for beginners in the Objective-C language. I've made my first steps in the development for Mac OS X and iOS with this book. My mark is 4, because I alredy have had some experience with other programming languages and some chapters for me was really boring :)
Andries Burger
May 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Currently busy working through this book. Not sequentially following it, since I've been in IT for over twenty years, but finding how things are done in the MAC OS environment with Object C and Cocoa.
Nicolas Miyasato
Mar 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: it
May be it's a little too basic, nothing advanced here.
P Kolevaa
Apr 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Basic Objective-C syntax and foundation framework knowledge. Some of the information is given as granted without more detailed explanation.
Alexis Teh WenHui
May 10, 2015

• Manual Of Engineering Drawing
  • Less and More: The Design Ethos of Dieter Rams
  • Sketching: Drawing Techniques for Product Designers
  • Mechanical Engineer's Pocket Book (Newnes Pocket Books)
  • Making It: Manufacturing Techniques for Product Design
  • Cosmos
  • Show Your Work!: 10 Ways to Share Your Creativity and Get Discovered
  • User Stories Applied: For Agile Software Development
  • Fifty Quick Ideas to Improve Your User Stories
  • Debugging the Development Process: Practical Strategies for Staying Focused, Hitting Ship Dates, and Building Solid Teams
  • Objective-C Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide
  • Writing Solid Code
  • The Lord of the Rings (The Lord of the Rings, #1-3)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »