Start by marking “The Kingdom of Back” as Want to Read:
The Kingdom of Back

The Kingdom of Back

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  8,033 ratings  ·  2,081 reviews
From #1 New York Times bestselling author Marie Lu comes a historical YA fantasy about a musical prodigy and the dangerous lengths she'll go to make history remember her—perfect for fans of Susanna Clarke and The Hazel Wood.

Two siblings. Two brilliant talents. But only one Mozart.

Born with a gift for music, Nannerl Mozart has just one wish—to be remembered forever. But ev
Published March 3rd 2020 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Kingdom of Back, please sign up.
ella areleah It will be out as a hardcover and Ebook on March 3, 2020. It is not specified when it will come out on paperback.

·  8,033 ratings  ·  2,081 reviews

Start your review of The Kingdom of Back
Emily May
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, 2020

Without a doubt, this is Marie Lu's most fascinating book to date.

In school, we studied Virginia Woolf's concept of the fictional "Shakespeare's sister". In A Room of One's Own, Woolf imagines that Shakespeare had a sister who was as talented, as imaginative, as capable as her brother, but because she was a woman, she had to stay home. She never had the opportunities Sh
Miranda Reads
description

A new BookTube Video is Up all about whether you should buy, borrow or burn 2020 YA books! Let me know what you think!
The Written Review
description

There's two Mozarts, but the world remembered only one of them.

Nannerl, had one wish - to be remembered.

She and her brother toured all throughout Europe but despite all her ambitions, she's still a product of her time.
NReads
Oct 13, 2018 marked it as to-read
Who spread the rumor that Marie Lu has replicated herself and the army of hers is going to attack us with a million books during the upcoming years?
jessica
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i love it when stories have the power to inspire action. i love that feeling when you turn the last page and you arent ready to let go of the story just yet, so you do something to make its presence linger, to keep the story in your heart just a little longer.

this made me pick up my violin, which i havent touched in about a year, and play one of mozarts violin concertos that i learned when i was a teenager. it was a struggle, but i loved that this story motivated me to do that.

i think fans of
Cardan Greenbriar
“But be wary of what you wish for,” he went on. “Wishes have a habit of surprising their makers.”

I SHIT YOU NOT THIS BOOK REMINDS ME OF MY KINGDOM
and me

What great injustice that after 4 days of release this book only has less than 400 ratings
Who set the date similar to another *ahem* overly hyped book's release date?
anyway
talk about a motherfucking book hangover

I am such a mess that i don't even know how to properly review

I have never cried this much during a happy ending

So our very belove
Hamad
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it
I just started this and I have forgotten how magical Marie's writing style is!!

megs_bookrack
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**4.5-stars rounded up**

In the Author's Note for The Kingdom of Back, Marie Lu tells of her real-life inspiration for this story.

A book over a decade in the making, as a Reader, you can tell she poured her heart and soul into this project.

Lu, known for her complex and forward-thinking YA Science-Fiction, takes a sharp turn with The Kingdom of Back, a subtly Dark Fantasy with lyrical prose.

Even though this is not her typical story, I think it shines an extremely bright light on her level of ski
Claudia Ramírez
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

This came in my March Owlcrate. Pretty silver, shimery edges. And candle, socks, notecard, Art, lip balm, etc.

Omg! I had no idea Mozart had a sister that was just as talented, but held back for being a girl. Girls weren’t allowed to compose!!

Marie talks about this in her acknowledgments so read that as well. She’s added some fantasy to the world with a bit of truth. I’m thoroughly impressed and enjoyed the book!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Vibur (hiatus)
Jun 29, 2020 rated it liked it
(The sad violinist in me realising she has no talent after reading this novel.)

First off, the writing, wow. All I want to say is, if I was to choose a colour to characterise the writing, it'd most assuredly be blue. All the impossibly beautiful shades of blue, all its vibrancy and subtlety imbued, to paint the deepest of seas and palest of winter snow.
In all honesty, I should've loved this novel. And I'd have loved if it was a historical fiction rather than a fantasy. At times, the magical reali
Miranda Reads
Dec 13, 2019 marked it as to-read
I've been burned so many times... and yet here I am, crawling back for more.

Can you smell the desperation?

YouTube | Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Snapchat @miranda.reads
Mara YA Mood Reader
3/29/2020: Well that was depressing. A sad story, beautifully told. And so unlike most YA Historical Fiction/Fantasy, it was most refreshing.

The Kingdom of Back was not at all what I expected it to be. And I suppose that was the saving grace in my experience. Although, still, I was not especially enthralled.

The YA genre needs books like this though. Wether it not be much in my tastes, it is true that the genre is often filled with unrealistically ridiculous romance plots that we both eat up an
Simona B
Feb 10, 2017 marked it as wishlist
I think new series should be kept secret until, say, six moths before the release, especially if it's an author like Marie Lu we're talking about, because jeez, my heart plummets when I look at that hideous "Expected publication: 2019". Just sayin'.
Samantha
If you enjoy sibling stories and classical music, this may be one you’ll want to pick up. It reminded me a lot of Wintersong by S Jae Jones, but with no romance. It has that same kind of darker fairy tale element to it, with the theme of music and family bonds.
Ashley
Star Rating: —> 4 Stars

What a wonderful fairytale filled with all the ingredients to make a story an absolutely joyous adventure to read!

This made me feel like I was a little girl again, in one corner of the house or another, reading in the sunlight.

Truly a beautifully and elegantly woven tale, about Nannerl Mozart, the brilliant sister that time almost left forgotten, & her brother Wolfgang, their secret kingdom, music, faeries, magic, & most of all, love.

💙
Sylvie {on semi-hiatus}
3.75

This was one of the most magical books I've read!

Review will be posted very soon.
Mary S. R.
Jun 29, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mary by: Mozart, who'd you think?
To be remembered in this world, she created another.

Thou who hath pranced amidst this land,
Thou who hath walked upon thy hand,
And thou who hath danced on the river's strand...

Behold my quietus, my quiet stand!
Behold these tears and please withstand,
My wailing and waning and weening, and,
Behold my death—of thee, I demand!

Oh lo and behold my life so damned,
And watch my dawning demise, so grand;
Then seize my murderer, oh that I command—
Bury and bind the book in this sand,
Within my grave, this durin
Candace Robinson
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I wasn’t sure what to expect when I started this. I also knew nothing about Wolfgang Mozart besides him being a famous pianist. As for Nannerl, I had never heard of her! As the pages turned, I wanted to know more about them! Not just in the story, but in real life as well! I was pleasantly surprised about how much I loved this!

Nannerl was a girl I truly felt for, especially during this time where women weren’t truly equals. But her brother, Wolfgang, AKA Wolferl, was so freaking adorable, cute,
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
Jan 12, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
Shelves: fantasy
"Perfect for fans of The Hazel Wood"

***********
Kingdom of Back? Like is everyone a spine?

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Tani
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
RATINGS: 2.5 STARS

"Look hard enough, Fräulein, and the kingdom will show you every truth that your world doesn't."

Kingdom of Back is a historical retelling of the Mozart siblings, Nannerl and Woferl, with faeries. It's magical realism. Although the concept of the book had much potential, it misses it's mark. It's predictable and dismal.

The story is based upon the childhood of Marianne 'Nannerl' Mozart and Wolfgang 'Wolferl' Mozart. Like her brother, Nannerl has talent of music and composure.
Amy Imogene Reads
Two siblings. Two brilliant talents. But only one Mozart.

Concept: ★★★★★
Magical elements: ★★★
Pacing: ★★ 1/2
Emotional resonance: ★★★★

Everyone knows of Mozart. The brother, that is. How many of us know the history of Mozart's talented older sister, Nannerl?

The Kingdom of Back is a soft, fantastical portrait of the historical lives of Nannerl and Amadeus during their childhood in Austria. Following Nannerl, it imagines the childhood of a girl—one given amazing musical talents, and yet born during a
Natalie Monroe

“I am the sister, the other Mozart. And her story is mine.”

The Kingdom of Back is different from anything Lu has written in the past, which is likely why I enjoyed it so much. It's a breath of fresh air. This standalone novel's much quieter, devoid of the typical action scenes found in the Legend series, The Young Elites trilogy, and the Warcross duology. It is nonetheless powerful, a tragically accurate portrayal of a gifted musician barred from fame because of her gender.

“Help
Helena of Eretz ✰
I received this complimentary ARC from the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.

"I wrote this book for the Nannerls of today and tomorrow, in the hopes that when they are ready to share their brilliance of the world, the world will be ready to give them the attention and honour that they deserve."

I love the message behind this book, but I didn't love the book itself. I enjoyed the side quests that took place in the Kingdom of Back most of all, but I do think that the inclusion of the fant
Jananie (thisstoryaintover)
THIS WAS ENCHANTING. Hands down one of my favourite books EVER. Haunting, lyrical, and beautifully written. This might even be my favourite Marie Lu book ever. It's definitely more literary than her other books and also one that could appeal to any age, young or old. Highly recommend!!
Zoë ☆
THIS WAS FREAKING AMAZING, I’m crying right now it was so beautiful 😩😢💗
Go read this!!
----
The Kingdom of Back is SUCH a beautiful and enchanting read! I LOVED the magical world so much, and the combination with historical fiction made it an amazing and PERFECT read for me! The best thing about this book though was easily the writing. It was so enchanting and wonderful to read. Whenever I picked up the book, I was completely sucked into the world!

Thinking back on it (I finished it almost a week
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
Thank you Penguin International for the gifted copy of The Kingdom of Back!

The Kingdom of Back is the first book by Marie Lu that I've read. Historical fiction isn't a genre I usually read. My first one was The Gilded Wolves by Roshani Chokshi and it's one of my favorite books of all time! So I went into this one with an open mind and I was pretty excited to try it out. The best way to describe this book is historical fiction with a hint of wild magic.

Marie Lu has wonderful writing. Her writing
Elle
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An elegantly beautiful story about a sister and brother told through the lenses of history and fantasy, I was unexpectedly touched by this offering from Marie Lu. This is a departure for the YA Sci-fi/Fantasy writer, and despite her Legend series being published first, I was surprised to learn she’d written The Kingdom of Back prior to it.

The tone of this reminds me of Pan's Labyrinth, but centered around the childhoods of Maria Anna and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, known to one another as Nannerl a
hannah ✧/ᐠ-ꞈ-ᐟ\ (on hiatus)
update: look!!! every time I get new information about this book my heart swells with excitement

_____

I ADDED THIS BOOK AS SOON AS I SAW MARIE LU'S NAME and when I read the description it got even better

I've always thought it sad that Nannerl couldn't pursue music like her brother because 18th century gender roles are the worst. plus, it's MARIE LU, so this is basically guaranteed to be amazing

but 2019....that's so far away.................. *weeps silently into bowl of cheerios*
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Jan 29, 2019 marked it as to-read
As someone who played the piano for over 10 years, consider me INTRIGUED!!!??

Like what is this synopsis???!!! Whatever, I'm here for it:)
Twitter | Bookstagram | Youtube |
may ➹
Mar 22, 2020 marked it as to-read
yes, I say Mozart is my favorite composer and in actuality only know a few of his songs, we exist

• All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • Witchy
  • Incendiary (Hollow Crown, #1)
  • A Queen in Hiding (The Nine Realms, #1)
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • Goddess in the Machine (Goddess in the Machine, #1)
  • The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • The Tyrant’s Tomb (The Trials of Apollo, #4)
  • The Beast of Beswick (Everleigh Sisters, #1)
  • Fence, Vol. 3
  • The Map from Here to There (The Start of Me and You, #2)
  • The Unspoken Name
  • Today Tonight Tomorrow
  • Trace of Evil (Natalie Lockhart #1)
[Note: Many apologies, but I'm woefully bad at checking my Goodreads emails! If you'd like to send a note/msg, please catch me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Marie_Lu . Thanks!]

I write young adult novels, and have a special love for dystopian books. Ironically, I was born in 1984. Before becoming a full-time writer, I was an Art Director at a video game company. Now I shuffle around at home and ta

Articles featuring this book

Are you searching for a great young adult novel to dive into? In that case, you've come to the right place. Goodreads members are pros at...
“I am going to tell you a story you already know. But listen carefully, because within it is one you have never heard before.” 26 likes
“Speak for those less fortunate than yourself, who will need your help. Speak for the ones who will come after you, looking to you for guidance. Stay true, daughter. One day, you will see it all go up in flames.” 19 likes