Start by marking “Kubernetes in Action” as Want to Read:
Kubernetes in Action

Kubernetes in Action

With Kubernetes, users don't have to worry about which specific machine in their data center their application is running on. Each layer in their application is decoupled from other layers so they can scale, update, and maintain them independently.

Kubernetes in Action teaches developers how to use Kubernetes to deploy self-healing scalable distributed applications. By the
Published December 31st 2017 by Manning Publications

To ask other readers questions about Kubernetes in Action, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kubernetes in Action

Start your review of Kubernetes in Action
Sebastian Gebski
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can't really believe I'm really writing these words right now ... but this is currently the best (by far) book on Kubernetes & its ecosystem. It's even better than famous Kelsey's "Kubernetes. Up & Running."

It starts with the basics, but progresses very quickly. Some of the advanced concepts were significantly beyond what I've expected (e.g. extending K8s). The chapter on internals was VERY interesting, so was the best description of ConfigMaps I've ever found. Quality stuff. Chapters on state
Yevgeniy Brikman
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you're going to use Kubernetes, you need to read this book.

* It covers absolutely everything you need to know, starting with a basic intro to Docker and going deeper and deeper until you're taking a detailed look at Kubernetes internals. I was particularly happy to see all the different ways you can interact with Kubernetes, including the kubectl CLI, the REST API, local proxying, SSH, ambassador containers, and so on.
* It's nicely organized so you can skip to exactly the content you want.
Alex Ott
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very solid introduction into Kubernetes.
Could be slightly outdated, but that's my problem - I could find time to read it long after I bought the book...
Damian Zydek
Jul 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Solid introduction into Kubernetes - it covers most of the resources you need to know. This technology is changing so rapidly that the 2nd edition would be a better choice.
Sergey Machulskis
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
A very well-written, in-depth book about Kubernetes. I expected it to be a little bit boring and complex. Turned out, it's super interesting. But still complex :)

It doesn't simply list Kubernetes concepts, providing usage examples + descriptions of them. It explains why they're created and _how_ they're created, so they fit nicely into a coherent picture of the Kubernetes ecosystem.

There are a lot of "a-ha!" moments. There are also a lot of "how did I live without it?!" moments. Totally recommen
Sangeeth Sudheer
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For anyone wanting to dive deep into the world of Kubernetes—even in 2019—this is a must-read. Sure, Kubernetes has changed a lot since the time this book was authored but the fundamentals remain almost the same. The author even describes upcoming changes (which are the status-quo) in detail in the book so that you really don't feel like you're reading outdated content. There are definitely more up-to-date books at present but I haven't found a single one so far, that covers concepts from contai ...more
Jakub
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Best book about Kubernetes on the market!

I’m not new to K8s, therefore I was sceptic about this book, another entry level info. I was tremendously wrong! This book filled holes and connected dots that I needed like nothing else. My understanding of how k8s works and how things are done is much deeper helping me become better at this technology.

It also a best-arranged book I've seen. It helps to understand each concept before it introduces a new one. I was even looking if specific words will be u
Luca
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely a must-read if you care about the topic.

The book is well written, the writing actually stands out quite a bit from the crow of technical books.

Each chapter assumes no previous knowledge and explain both the why and the how of things.

I’m sure the book will be on my desk for a while as it’s so detailed it makes a great reference as well.
Bodo Tasche
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technology
Nearly perfect book. A 4 1/2. a bit dry in the last chapters, but other than that it’s a great introduction to the topic.
Geoff Lanotte
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very good run through of Kubernetes from a developer's point of view. As someone just beginning to dip their toes into containerization in general I found this helpful. ...more
Mihai Fecioru
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent overview of a very complex technology like Kubernetes. A great introduction accessible for everyone.
Norbert Preining
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
The rise of Kubernetes as one of the most important tools for devops engineers and developers is out of discussion. But until I moved into my current company I never had any chance to actually use Docker, not to speak of Kubernetes. But it became necessary for me to learn it, so …

I choose the Kubernetes book Kubernetes in Action from Manning, mostly because I have very good experience with Manning books (and actually have collected quite an amount of them), and I wasn’t disappointed.

The book exp
Dickson Tan
May 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This might well be the best resource for learning K8s available right now. I've only finished half the book because I don't need to learn the more advanced material right now and I'm waiting for the second edition, which should be out in July. If you've heard of Docker, I recommend this book without reservation.

Most resources for learning K8s are reference material that don't adequately explain the underlying abstractions being used, which left me struggling to understand why K8s seems so needle
Francois D’Agostini
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book for people willing to understand Kubernetes. It is massive (600 pages) and goes into a lot of details. But the way it is explained makes the reading pleasant and interesting. The author always starts with some simple use cases and builds on it towards more complex scenarios.
This makes the reading quite understandable and it avoids the pitfall of listing out all features one by one.
This is why it is surprising for a book of this size to remain enjoyable and readable.
A piece which is ma
Marek M
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Pretty good introduction to Kubernetes, covers most of the resources you need to know about with clear, sensible explanations. I was slightly disappointed by the "setting up your own cluster" chapter - it covers only basics. Naively I expected more than a description of kubeadm, but guess not many people are interested in "the hard way" anymore as they don't have on-prem clusters. On the other hand, "Extending Kubernetes" chapter was really good.

Please note that this book was published in Decemb
Dina Bogdan
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've read Kubernetes in Action at the same time with deploying a Kubernetes Cluster. I can say that for understanding Kubernetes is a very good book, but for using Kubernetes in production with integration with tools such as Helm or an external Load Balancer like BigIP it won't help you very much. I will like to see also some Kubernetes deployment patterns, more details about how to setup a Kubernetes cluster for geographic redundancy and more things like these that are mandatory in an enterpris ...more
Saran Sivashanmugam
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: it
Loved reading Marko's casual style. Marko starts from the basics of containers, Kubernetes. its usage and then dive in-depth about the inner workings of Kubernetes. Both new users and advanced users can learn many things from Marko's experience working in the Kubernetes community. Especially I liked the chapters about CRD, Open Service BRoker APIs where no other books have covered in detail. Till date, this is one of the best Kubernetes books out there both for new learners and advanced users. ...more
Marek Suscak
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Finally. This book is a solid illustrated guide to Docker and Kubernetes. It starts by explaining the fundamental concepts and then proceeds on to the explanation of various Kubernetes building blocks and resources. And it doesn't stop there. In later chapters, it expands on Kubernetes' extensibility, best practices and covers some advanced scenarios such as cluster federation. No need to read it cover-to-cover. ...more
Siddharth Pandey
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In the age of internet with online learning and video courses, reading a book on technology doesn't look like the top choice, but not with this book! Exceptionally well written with easy to understand explanation of all concepts of K8, along with demos that you can practice. This book, at least for me, proved far more effective than many other interactive online resources that I was following.
Good job Marko!
Vinicius Souza
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The best book on kubernetes available so far. At the time I read it, kubernetes was many versions ahead of the book and, yet, it was extremely useful and complete. Working with kubernetes in my day to day, I returned to the book several times to get some advice or to check how something works. I can state that great part of my knowledge on kubernetes was taken from this book.
Mr. Musale
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When you find yourself in a position that you need to work with Kubernetes, you need need to read this book. It had very clear explanations and the chapters really progressed well from easy to the more complicated stuff. I recommend this to anyone who's getting into or is in the Kubernetes ecosystem. ...more
Eric
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was (and is) an invaluable resource. Reading it has been crucial for me, as I help drive adoption at my day job. My copy is riddled with highlights and dog-eared pages, most of which I’ve already revisited for a quick refresher. I highly recommend this book to any aspiring kubernaut.
Ivan
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book begins with high-level introduction to Docker and Kubernetes and then expains core concepts e.g. pods, replicaton controllers, services etc. Each concept in the books goes along with examples.
A great book to those who want to start working with Kubernetes.
Senthil Kumaran
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book explained the concepts behind Kubernetes well. It just did keep itself at the level of a book for an operator of Kubernetes and went into explaining what is happening underneath quite well.
Qaiser Bangash
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sre
One of the best book on k8s and its ecosystem. I would highly recommend it for all developers and it covers almost everything you need to learn about k8s. Everything is well explained with good examples.
Pavel
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technical, top
Excellent book! As I started reading it, I though I'll skip quickly through the basics and get to the advanced topics. But I found myself learning so many things and understand k8s much better even in the "concepts" part of the book. ...more
Jose Cruz
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The book gives you all the knowledge you need to start to work with kubernetes. Every lesson has a step-by-step guide that you can follow and gives you enough confidence to implemented other examples by yourself. I was very happy with this book. I gave 5 stars because 4 stars was not enough.
Łukasz Słonina
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great explanation of Kubernetes, from basics to advanced topics.
Costi
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The writer(s) have put a lot of work into this book and it shows.
Discovered a whole new wonderful world :-) and learned how a 21st century microservice architecture looks like (that is Kubernetes)
Tony Poerio
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent and exhaustive resource on Kubernetes. It provides details on basic/advanced usage as an end-user, as well as a deep dive into the system's internals. Strong 5. ...more

• Designing Data-Intensive Applications
  • The Go Programming Language
  • Kubernetes: Up & Running
  • Terraform: Up & Running: Writing Infrastructure as Code
  • Kafka: The Definitive Guide: Real-Time Data and Stream Processing at Scale
  • Fluent Python: Clear, Concise, and Effective Programming
  • Docker Deep Dive
  • Kubernetes Patterns: Reusable Elements for Designing Cloud-Native Applications
  • Head First Design Patterns
  • Effective Java
  • Site Reliability Engineering: How Google Runs Production Systems
  • The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win
  • Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
  • The C Programming Language
  • Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems
  • Docker in Action
  • The DevOps Handbook: How to Create World-Class Agility, Reliability, and Security in Technology Organizations
  • Effective Modern C++: 42 Specific Ways to Improve Your Use of C++11 and C++14

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »