Start by marking “Cockatoos” as Want to Read:
Cockatoos

Cockatoos

(Borboletras)

The reader may find Professor Dupont's hiding cockatoos in the illustrations of his house, but the professor needs to correct the problem that caused his ten pets to hide in the first place.
Published October 1st 1992 by Little Brown and Company (first published January 1st 1992)

Anna
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Five-year-old Becca had very good taste :) Such a delightful book with lovely drawings! Loved how it ended. I hope the cockatoos eventually succeed in helping the old professor try new things.
Gabriella
Nov 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: eyfs, year-1
Great book, I enjoyed this. This book has a simple plot and is easy to follow with kids. Great illustrations. The illustrations regarding the character's facial expressions really help to tell the story. I would recommend this book to children.
Matthieu L
Nov 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jeunesse
Excellent avec alice, 2ans. "le professeur entra dans le salon : pas de cacatoes"
"mais si, papa, regarde, il y a un cacatoes ! Il est cache ici le cacatoes !"
Morag
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love love LOVE this book, which is (I think!) my favourite of QB's. Fun for all ages as you have to find the missing cockatoos - counting them on each page - and giggle at Mr DuPont's (French accent mandatory) apparent inability to spot them! "Good morning my fine, feathered friends!" is a well-worn catchphrase in our house. Wonder how long til my kids break a window to escape it...?
orannia
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, children
I got sucked into counting cockatoos just like the author wanted :)
Isobel
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The book has a simple plot but it may make the reader laugh. The book would be appropriate for reception children as it is repetitive.
Patrick Djan
Sep 03, 2014 is currently reading it
Cockatoos by Quentin Blake

Out of Quentin Blake many book this is one of his classics which combines humour and learning in one perfect package.

Cockatoos portrays the story of Professor Dupont's who goes in search for his missing cockatoos. However they the cockatoos are not missing but playing hide and seek due to their annoyance of the professor repetitive greeting every morning. Through out the book the reader is invited to join in the search and engage in counting out loud the mischievous co
Erin
May 16, 2010 added it
Shelves: picture-book
The story is simple enough. Professor DuPont is stuffy and boring, so his ten cockatoos decide they’ve had enough and hide from him for a whole day. Professor DuPont looks everywhere, but the cockatoos are always just out of sight – but not for the reader, which makes for an enjoyable seek and find experience.

Quentin Blake has quite a distinctive illustration style; in Cockatoos, his sketchy lines and watercolors create a wild, slightly disheveled appearance that seems at odds with Professor DuP
Emma
Llewellyn loves to find the birds in each picture. Lovely :) at 17 months it's still a bit texty though.
At 18 months it's great, he can get through all the text and actually gets that the birds are hiding. I wish the birds were called parrots though, its a bit confusing as they don't look like what we've taught him cockatoos are, as we see them every day. Really though I don't care :) great book.
**edit** At 22 months, Ll now gets that silly Professor Dupont is missing the cockatoos. He enjoys sh
Claudia
Erg leuk boek, vooral omdat de kinderen de kaketoes moeten zoeken. Helaas is de vertaling van Willem Wilmink soms wat ouderwets. Ik vraag me ook af of de kinderen het plot van het verhaal snappen. Woorden als Gevederde vrienden en hardleers zijn wat lastig voor een 4 jarige. De illustraties van QB zijn prachtig.
Heidi-Marie
Very enjoyable with simple yet fun pictures. It only took me a few pages to catch on that the number of cockatoos increased by one with every place Professor DuPont looked. A counting book! Or works well as one, any how. Funny ending.
Amy
May 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
A fun children's counting book - Professor Dupont's cockatoos get tired of his normal morning greeting, so they escape from the conservatory. As he searches the area for them, he cannot find them, but the reader will delight in seeing the bird's hiding places.
Ursula
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
really funny and great for children to settle them before bed time
Gayle Dadswell
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! Love reading this to my daughter!! The cockatoos hiding in the loft are so funny. My 2 year old even joins in looking for them now. A firm favourite!
Eva
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Magnificent growing up picture book story. Typically fabulous illustrations by QB and the story is short but very sweet.
Recommended age range 4-6 years
Kate
Mar 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
Another book bought for my course (although it is not required reading), I adored Quentin Blake's illustrations and ironic narrative. I can just imagine what fun this would be to read with a child.
Mips
Jun 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Nederlandse titel "De kakatoes van professor Plantijn"
Sarah Adamson
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My favourite QB book - this is great! We loved hunting for the escaped cockatoos in all their wonderful hiding places!
Nux
Love Quentin Blake's drawings... and the story in this one's quite funny and fun too. It can even be used as a mini activity book (find the parrots) for the very young...
Mckinley
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture, bird
Wasn't sure about the last line.
Nuala

• The Boy in the Garden
  • Winnie in Winter
  • My No No No Day
  • Never Too Little to Love
  • My Big Dog (Family Storytime)
  • It's Duffy Time!
  • Maude: The Not-So-Noticeable Shrimpton
  • I Want My Potty!
  • Whatever
  • Pants
  • Augustus and His Smile
  • A Hat for Minerva Louise
  • Let's Play in the Forest While the Wolf Is Not Around!
  • Cows in the Kitchen
  • A Storm Called Katrina
  • The Baby Beebee Bird
  • Dog in Charge
Quentin Saxby Blake, CBE, FCSD, RDI, is an English cartoonist, illustrator and children's author, well known for his collaborations with writer Roald Dahl.

Education
Blake was educated at Chislehurst and Sidcup Grammar School. His English teacher, JH Walsh, influenced his ambition to become involved in literature. His first published drawing was for the satirical magazine Punch, at the age of 16. He

Borboletras (10 books)