Start by marking “Афоризмы житейской мудрости” as Want to Read:
Афоризмы житейской мудрости

Афоризмы житейской мудрости

Труды выдающегося немецкого философа Артура Шопенгауэра долгое время оставались практически незаметными для широкой публики; только в последние два десятилетия своей жизни он получил долгожданную известность. Но до самой смерти Шопенгауэр оставался непонятым; подлинная суть той революции, которую он произвел в европейской философии, стала проясняться только в XX веке. В от ...more
Published 2005 by Эксмо (first published 1851)

Be the first to ask a question about Афоризмы житейской мудрости

Start your review of Афоризмы житейской мудрости
Ahmad Sharabiani
‭Aphorismen zur Lebensweisheit = The Wisdom of Life, Arthur Schopenhauer

The Wisdom of Life represents part of Schopenhauer's work originally titled Aphorismen zur Lebensweisheit and translated by T. B. Saunders. The other part of the original has been translated under the name Counsels and Maxims. However both parts deal with a single treatise, with the being no such division in the original.

Arthur Schopenhauer, The Wisdom of Life: “There is not much to be got anywhere in the world. It is fil
Glenn Russell

I've included the above photo of a wise man from Asia for a very specific reason: to underscore the fact that the wisdom of life transcends culture. Certainly, as per the book cover, one can clearly see Arthur Schopenhauer is from the world of early 19th century European civilization. But what the German philosopher has to say on the topic of wisdom is as relevant today for women and men living anywhere on the globe as it was when he wrote his book back in the 1850s in Frankfurt, Germany.

I have
Arastoo
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I have read from Schopenhauer and I have to say, honestly each paragraph embraces wisdom in every sense of the word. There is not a single word or line that is not a quotable. I have not read his pessimistic views, but I can tell you this book does not instill pessimism the least bit, but peace, understanding, and self-reliance, and inner richness. I did not reach the last chapter on Fame, as it did not interest me but the rest of the book was well worth the read. If you'r ...more
Arjun Ravichandran
For those who are familiar with Schopenhauer's view on existence and humanity (spoiler alert : he is not a big fan) this pithy essay won't be much of a surprise.
His advice boils down to : If you are gifted with intellect or artistic ability, devote yourself to it, and seek not fame ; because art is long, life is short, commerce is idiotic, and most men are fools anyway. It is a fairly self-serving philosophy, but which has much good sense ; also, because the old crank writes so well, there are
J
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Schopenhauer is endlessly quotable, clear, concise, profound, and yet he doesn't say anything in this piece that is shocking or even surprising. It is more that he says known "wisdoms" with his own brisk style, his own subtle flair.

As noted in the introduction, whether or not you subscribe to the philosophy of the man, one can't deny the deft writing he displays in each and every work. The subjects, other than duels, are timeless, and the advice is worth remembering.
Usha
Aug 29, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics-culture
Read, think, repeat!
Lino
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well this was a waste of time. For some reason I was convinced this book was important, so I forced myself through it.

There's not much wisdom here for me. I was never really in a situation where I wanted to restore my honour while avoiding a duel:

"If you are armed, you can strike down your opponent on the spot, or perhaps an hour later. This will restore your honour"

For such a short book he has managed to find plenty of space to repeat himself several times. He's also found time for some basic s
Damian
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to say that this book changed my life and the way I

see it. It helped me understand myself better, made me

aware of my own potential and gave me self confidence. It

is a book that will most likely make you think twice about

the things you thought matter most in life. If it was in

my power to do so I would certainly compel everyone into

reading it.
Vivien
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It helps me to find my inner richness and the sources of the true happiness.
Amin Eftekhar
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Looking back at the pages that I just finished reading, 90% are highlighted under the impression of great sayings that I might have to return to later. The book was only 77 pages long but took me quit a while to read. At times, I was not able to read more than a few paragraphs in one sitting as it had given me more than enough material to chew upon and mull over for days. It is indeed full of words of wisdom and was a very enjoyable read.
It’s very difficult to go back to reading typical books wi
Anna
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. I have read in 3 different language... and i read it again and again.
Sathyanarayanan D
The Question he tried to address - " What a Man is? "

He divides a man in to three things.

1.Personality 2. Property 3. Position.

On Personality - He talks about his character and traits.
On Property - he talks about one's possessions
on Position - He talks about how a man stands in the estimation of others in the society.

Position further classified in to different heads - 1.Reputation. 2. Pride. 3. Rank. 4. Honor. 5. Fame.

On all the points my views barring some aspects of Knightly Honor on which I h
Marc
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy, wisdom
Published in 1850 as part of Parerga and Paralipomena. Deviating from the pessimism of Schopenhauers other work; here the overtone is: "make the best of it". As with Montaigne extensive use of quotations, especially of Petrarca; great psychological insight, but misanthropic take. I think Schopenhauer was very influenced by the Spaniard Gracian, but he was less systematic; this selection contains stylistic gems. ...more
Simon
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent observations on almost all parts of life, an educational handbook for living as Nietzsche observed in his brilliant essay Schopenhauer as Educator.
Some lapses in critical reasoning, in between strong displays of argumentation, are unfortunately included, as i will show.

Central ideas are the necessity of health for happiness, which one can only find in oneself, not in relationships and society, the superiority of mental pleasures/leasures and abilities (physical/social ones always fade
arg/machine
Jan 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another intellectual classic. In the public domain, with a free electronic copy available here. ...more
Jeremy Egerer
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Schopenhauer's noble attempt to convince himself that reading serious books is better than chasing girls -- which is partially true, not only because Plato never really made me cry, but also because a book's period never ruined my day. Wait, can girls see this? ...more
Ben Rogers
Feb 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Epictetus
Outstanding read.

I found this a lot like Epictetus. Reminded me of The Manual: A Philosopher's Guide to Life which I just read last month.

This book was jam packed with excellent timeless wisdom.

I consider the passages a great guide to life. Lots of highly quotable aphorisms and statements throughout the book.

I could see myself rereading this.

4.8/5
Slim
Aug 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's as if you crossed a rational Dalai Lama with your slightly socially retarded german grandfather and had that person write down all their life wisdoms. A mixture of interesting, inspiring, thought-proviking and at times even funny and absurd. ...more
Tachina Lynch
Apr 25, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“There is not much to be got anywhere in the world. It is filled with misery and pain; if a man escapes these, boredeom lies in wait for him at every corner. Nay more; it is evil which generally has the upper hand, and folly that makes the most noise. Fate is cruel and mankind pitiable.”

Thoughtful...
Jake
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly somewhat brilliant. Schopenhauer correlates the relationship of movement of the body to --> health. Health --> happiness.
He further comments that some pleasures are better for a good life, and some, like those that are taken in excess will lead to a poor life. I of course wonder if he read works on Epicurean philosophy as he sounds quite similar to the ideas thereof..
He makes some very pointed claims on sociology, the meaning of happiness and a variety of other topics. Beyond the fact
Mindaugas Mozūras
I did not like this book by Arthur Schopenhauer at all.

I've read the Lithuanian version. Not sure about the original work, but I found this translation very hard to read. It's filled with needless words, long paragraphs, and poor wordplay. The book is also brimming with quotes that require flipping to the dictionary at the end of the book. Found it unnecessary, especially for a book that's hard to follow already due to aforementioned problems.

I found the author's tone often arrogant, misogynist
Sam
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great essay by the great Arthur Schopenhauer. As always, Schopenhauer has a way with words. I also found this piece a little more optimistic than his other work. He starts off the essay by explaining how one could live and find meaning in a meaningless world. But towards the middle, when he goes into depth about honor and dueling, I found it slightly irrelevant to modern society.
Overall, I highly recommend it to any true philosophical thinker, and pessimists as well.
Ioanna Nikita
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I saw people claim that this book gets a bit repetitive which might be true but the important thing is that the ideas you get exposed to are so great that a little repetition is good to help you really understand them.
I love Schopenhauer's philosophy, to me he is one of the greatest thinkers, not a pessimist but a realist. So much wisdom and so much food for thought in such a small book. A must-read!
Dariosk
absolutely brilliant.
Schopenhauer on happiness, with clear thinking and precise deepness.

The translation is a bit harsh and unrefined, but with a little effort it's possible to see what the author meant.

if you are into self help books, you can throw all of them away, just get this one!
it's the best investment you can make.
Tarik
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably one of the timeliest books I've read in my life. This book literally showed up exactly at a time when I could, I think, fully appreciate its value at first read.
I found this concise philosophy piece so dense that I want it in my personal library, for easy and frequent reference in the future.
Sudha Ganti
I am in agreement with most if not all of Schopenhauers analyses, however I found a handful of them difficult to reconcile with contemporary social behaviours. His first and most emphasized chapter- What a Man Is as the fundamental contributor to happiness- is a gold mine of wisdom.
Jonathan
Apr 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Schopenhauer is brilliant, but from the fifty rules collected in this work, many rules are frequently repeated. Nonetheless an easy introduction to his pessimistic outlook on life.
Leopold Benedict
Schopenhauer is a cranky old men, who I find alarmingly relatable. Please skip his essay on women.
Dusan Marjanovic
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
apart from some racist and sexist parts, good read
John Martindale
Schopenhauer is so easy to read. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, one definitely sees his personality, wisdom, humor, opinions and his arrogance, biases and prejudices ringing forth in these pages. There is a sense in which Schopenhauer can be quite repetitive, but I think this is because he had ten different ways to say the same thing, and I found myself underlining everyone :) For my own future reference, I posted here some of my favorite quotes from the the book. You may enjoy reading them if ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
PewDiePie's Liter...: The Wisdom of Life - Arthur Schopenhauer 3 127 Jun 23, 2021 10:44AM

• Schopenhauer as Educator
  • Ethics
  • درباره معنی زندگی
  • A Fraction of the Whole
  • On the Shortness of Life
Arthur Schopenhauer was born in the city of Danzig (then part of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth; present day Gdańsk, Poland) and was a German philosopher best known for his work The World as Will and Representation. Schopenhauer attempted to make his career as an academic by correcting and expanding Immanuel Kant's philosophy concerning the way in which we experience the world.

He was the son o