Jump to ratings and reviews

Caleb and Kit

Twelve-year-old Caleb is shorter, frailer, and more protected than most kids his age. That's because he has cystic fibrosis, a diagnosis meaning lungs that fill with mucus and a shortened lifespan. Caleb tries not to let his disorder define him, but it can be hard with an overprotective, prying mom and a big brother who is perfect in every way.

Then Caleb meets Kit-a vibrant, independent, and free girl who lives in a house in the woods-and his world changes instantly. Kit reads Caleb's palm and tells him they are destined to become friends. She calls birds down from the sky, turns every day into an adventure, and never sees him as his disorder. Her magic is contagious, making Caleb question the rules and order in his life. But being Kit's friend means embracing deception and, more and more, danger. Soon Caleb will have to decide if his friendship with Kit is really what's best for him-or Kit.

256 pages, Hardcover

First published September 12, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Beth Vrabel

16 books137 followers
Beth Vrabel is the author of Cyblis-nominated Caleb and Kit, ILA award-winning A Blind Guide to Stinkville, JLG-selection A Blind Guide to Normal, and The Reckless Club and Pack of Dorks series. She can't clap to the beat nor be trusted near Nutella. Beth loves traveling around the country to meet with young readers and writers, sharing a message of grit, resiliency and heart.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
4 (<1%)
1 star
4 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 131 reviews
Profile Image for Hirdesh.
399 reviews87 followers
June 9, 2017
3.5 stars ! !
Thanks for Netgalley and respective publishers.

Thats was a teenager boy story deprived about his underestimating life because of his sever disease.

"Few moments in life are enough to live you whole life"

Such instances comes in everyone's life, likewise happened in this story.
When Kit met Caleb, he forgot about his unhappy life and everything about it.
He was just flowing in the air where Kit named Flower was blossoming.

I like way of writing skills.
Quite easy and simple to read.
Recommendation for Teenagers.

Profile Image for Kimberly.
773 reviews89 followers
January 5, 2018
Thank you @kidlitexchange for providing me with a copy of this book to read and review. All opinions are my own.

Caleb and Kit is full of so many wonderful things. Fantastic storytelling, wonderful characters, great information and a delicate way of talking about some pretty heavy topics. The story and plot caught my attention right from the start. It was easy to get invested in these characters and definitely left me intrigued while trying to piece together some of the things they were dealing with.

Caleb is twelve, fed up with his brother always appearing to be absolutely perfect, dealing with his dad starting a new family and his mom beginning to date. He also has cystic fibrosis. I knew very little about this disease prior to this book. Vrabel did an amazing job of weaving his everyday needs and struggles throughout the entire story while at the same time really providing the reader with some great info. I felt everyone’s frustrations and empathized with Caleb just wanting a bit more freedom from all of the constant monitoring.

Caleb meets Kit in the woods one day. Everything about her is magical. She believes in fairytales and leads a peculiar lifestyle. I pieced together her problems early on, but stumbled across a few scenarios that had me second guessing myself along the way. My heart truly ached for her.

This was a wonderful middle grade book and a perfect example of realistic fiction. The characters deal with real problems and all are far from perfect. Caleb makes some really poor choices, but he’s also struggling to finally find his own identity. Vrabel did another great job of capturing this age group. Their dialogue and thoughts was entertaining, innocent and just plain authentic.

A story full of friendships, secrets, challenges and self discovery. It includes some eye opening facts about cystic fibrosis as well as lessons on honesty and changing relationships . A must read!!!
Profile Image for Kate Olson.
2,087 reviews727 followers
September 13, 2017
A perfect middle grade read that tweens will be instantly able to relate to.

Thank you to Running Press Books for a finished copy of this book for review purposes!

Vrabel takes a topic that most people are unfamiliar with - cystic fibrosis - and weaves it into a tale of friendship and family that will instantly find a place in the hearts of adult and middle grade readers alike. Caleb, as a boy with cystic fibrosis, is still written as a middle school boy, rather than "a kid with an illness." He does middle school boy stuff and deals with his condition with typical 12 year old maturity. The info given about CF is shared in an age-appropriate way, and includes details that might read as “gross” but are real parts of the condition and will be so relatable to this age group. There are poignant themes of friendship, family, divorce, and growing up that will make you wish you could know Caleb in real life……..and swoop Kit up to give her a hug.

Highly recommended purchase for middle grade classrooms and libraries.
Profile Image for Joie.
18 reviews9 followers
June 13, 2017
“I wanted to be like Kit, to see stories everywhere. I wanted to make up a new world, one where I wasn’t sick and she was magic. I wanted that more than anything.”

There are so many wonderful things about Caleb and Kit by Beth Vrabel. Beth’s storytelling just keeps getting better and better – I can’t wait until September when I can pass this along to my middle school students!

Summary:
Caleb and Kit is the story of two unexpected friends who meet in the woods behind Caleb’s house one summer afternoon. Caleb is a practical & stubborn twelve-year-old, while Kit is nothing short of magical. She and Caleb see the world differently, but that’s what makes their friendship so unique and wonderful. They both stumble upon each other (almost literally) at the exact right moment of their lives – they need each other in ways they don’t expect.

Caleb has cystic fibrosis – a genetic disease that I honestly did not know much about before reading Caleb’s story. Vrabel does an incredible job showing others what daily life is like for Caleb and his disease and also what life is like for his family members, who played a huge part in this story. I felt like I knew his Mom and Dad, both with polar-opposite personalities, and his older brother, Patrick, who is just trying to figure out where he fits in Caleb’s life.

What I Loved:
The characters! You could see them – they are real, dynamic people who overcome obstacles and grow as the story moves along. It is not just about Caleb and Kit – it’s about all the people in their lives and how these people fit together. I think I liked Caleb’s parents the best – one who drops everything to help her son and adjust to their “new normal,” and one who runs away from his responsibilities, too scared to confront his unexpected challenges.

The writing! Vrabel is so good at capturing this age group. She just gets it – almost as if Caleb was dictating his story to her while she wrote. I found myself laughing out loud at some of the things Caleb thought, and if you have children (or are around children all day), you can relate so much to his attitude and Kit’s faerie-like personality.

The plot! You think you can figure it out as the book moves along, but I found myself dying to know more about Kit’s story – I had so many questions throughout the novel that I could not wait to have answered. There are many layers to this story – but no fluff and nothing is mentioned without some sort of resolution or tie-in to the various pieces of the plot. It’s intricate and beautiful and I think you just need to preorder it already!

Overall Review: 5/5 stars for character development, imagery, and plot
Target age group: 8-12 yrs (but I encourage everyone from all walks of life to read it!)
Release date: September 12, 2017 (my birthday!)
Profile Image for Melissa Hart.
Author 52 books74 followers
April 5, 2017
This is a splendid book, powerful and engaging. I'd never come across a young character with cystic fibrosis, and I appreciate the author's deft portrayal that never resorts to victimization or maudlin sentimentality. The small authentic details-Caleb's daily treatments and the more unsavory repercussions of CF--taught me so much, and I look forward to sharing this book with my 10-year old and discussing Caleb's resilience and resourcefulness.

In the midst of his new friend Kit's self-constructed fantasy world, Caleb's heroism is the real deal. He's determined, courageous, and witty despite his unusual physical challenges. The author doesn't shy away from the tough stuff that can complicate the lives of tweens. Her adult characters are nuanced, as well, never perfect but always struggling toward deeper understanding like her younger characters.

This is an important new novel that illuminates a little-discussed disorder and shows how affected children can work with it and fully integrate into their communities. Readers young and old will find this a unique novel well-deserving of a permanent place on the family bookshelf. As well, I hope that middle-school teachers will adopt it into their classroom curriculum as a much needed perspective on friendship with, and compassion for, those with disabilities.
Profile Image for MaryBeth's Bookshelf.
365 reviews80 followers
April 6, 2018
Caleb is 12 years old and he is tired of everyone being stronger, faster, healthier than him. Caleb has cystic fibrosis. When summer comes and Caleb meets Kit everything changes. He finds an escape from summer camp, his overbearing mother, his absent and angry father, and his brother who can do wrong. But Kit has secrets of her own. Two friends, fighting different battles, find hope and friendship from each other. This book was heart warming and emotional. There were times when I was frustrated with the characters, but I can't imagine how hard it must be to have a child with a fatal disease. Highly recommend. Great book.
Profile Image for Kathie.
Author 2 books61 followers
September 10, 2017
Thank you to NetGalley for an advance digital copy of this book (all opinions are my own).

12-year-old Caleb has the challenges of many teenagers. He's growing apart from his best friend, Brad. He has a hot shot big brother. His dad is unreliable and has a girlfriend that isn't interested in the kids from his previous family. He has an overprotective mother who won't let him do anything fun. But he's also living with cystic fibrosis, a disease that makes it difficult for him to act and do the things that normal teenagers do. When Caleb meets Kit, he finally finds the adventure he's been looking for, and with someone who doesn't know he's sick. As the two spend time together and their friendship grows, they learn that being a good friend means making hard choices about which secrets to keep, and which to share.

I thought this was an really great book of realistic fiction with a character that faces challenges many younger readers would not be familiar with. It explores the reality of living with cystic fibrosis at a time in life when many young teenagers are trying to push limits and rebel, and shows that Caleb is no different in what he wants. The friendship between Caleb and Kit made me sad as it felt superficial, and although I think it's very much in keep many early middle grade friendships, I wanted there to be more depth between these two (that isn't a fault of the writing, though, just my own feeling that made it 4 stars instead of 5).

I think this is an important book not only because it looks at cystic fibrosis, which needs more visible characters in middle grade fiction, but because of the issues of testing limits, keeping secrets, independence, and addressing big issues that many middle schoolers are facing for the first time.
Profile Image for Renee.
492 reviews7 followers
February 4, 2018
I read Caleb and Kit today for February’s Diverse Books Club chronic illness theme. This book beautifully examines family relationships, growing up, and living with a chronic disease- Cystic Fibrosis. I highly recommend it - I really appreciated the nuance of the characters’ reactions- sometimes I feel like MG books don’t have that complexity (which I totally understand).
This book was really important to me particularly for a couple of reasons: a former student of mine and Jill, my husband’s cousin, both of whom have passed away after lives cut much too short because of CF.
Profile Image for Natalie.
68 reviews
April 3, 2019
Wow. Six words- you need to read this book. I loved this book because the author takes an everyday issue- in this case, cystic fibrosis- and turns it into a story. (Actually, the author does this with her other books too, so I recommend that if you read Caleb and Kit and like it, read some of her other books as well.)
This story has a wonderful deeper meaning, starts with just a walk in the woods and turns into an exciting adventure, that in the story, Kit says "was destiny." If you love a heartfelt, adventurous story, Caleb and Kit is that book!!!!
Profile Image for ImLisaAnn.
99 reviews5 followers
March 22, 2018
Synopsis
Caleb is twelve years old and he’s just about had it with being treated like a baby or like a walking, talking illness. His father’s gone, distanced himself from the day-to-day trouble of addressing and treating Caleb’s cystic fibrosis while his mother has taken the opposite tack and hovers constantly, sunscreen in one hand and a snack in the other. As if that weren’t bad enough, Caleb’s older brother’s perfection hovers like a storm cloud—not only is Patrick healthy but he gets straight As, plays the violin like a virtuoso, and is so good he choses to spend his summer fundraising for cystic fibrosis charities. Having cystic fibrosis has limited Caleb’s universe of friends somewhat, leaving him feeling left out until, one day, he meets Kit in the woods. Kit doesn’t treat him like he’s about to break, she takes his limits in stride—pushing him at times to move past them without ever commenting on them or treating them like they are limiting her or their fun. As Caleb escapes into Kit’s fairy world, forgoing the summer camp he should be at, Caleb starts to see things about Kit’s life that don’t make sense. That maybe aren’t safe.

People First
In Caleb and Kit, while Caleb’s CF is a big part of the story, it ultimately isn’t the main point. This isn’t a story about a boy with CF whose family learns to stop babying him or who learns his own limitations. The heart of the story, the unknown that drives the book forward, is Kit. As an adult reader I could quickly put two and two together and see that Kit is being alternately neglected and physically abused by her mother. This is why she’s frantic to escape in fairytale, nearly always hungry, and seems to be living for days at a time in the woods with no food or real shelter. The book is about Caleb recognizing what’s happening and what he does about it once he knows.

I loved Vrabel’s choice to structure her book this way. I work with people with disabilities (mostly intellectual disabilities and/or mental illness) and there has been a movement for many years to use people first language—a person with mental illness, a person who uses a wheelchair, and person with autism. The idea is that the disability doesn’t define you and you’re a person first. Vrabel’s structuring her book around a non-disability plot and having a character who has a disability as a main character felt like people-first writing. I loved the unassuming message this sends to the child readers the book is aimed at about kids with disabilities being kids first, kids who have their own lives and things going on, kids who are to be included albeit with some minor modifications to activities.

Recommended
Caleb and Kit is a book I whole-heartedly recommend for middle-grade readers (or adults who enjoy middle-grade themselves). I can sometimes struggle with middle grade, to care what is happening next—in contrast Caleb and Kit was engaging and well written. I had no problem picking it up and wanting to keep reading. The characters are well developed and you really feel Caleb’s frustration at the ways his life has limited him. He makes some bad choices and is disobedient; however, those choices largely catch up to him with natural consequences that make the point that his choices were bad without it getting as intense as a book like Bridge to Terebithia, a book the forest scenes in Caleb and Kit called to mind. The themes and action are appropriate for younger middle-grade readers, so long as the adult is prepared to discuss the existence of child abuse (nothing graphic).

Notes
Published: September 12, 2017
Author: Beth Vrabel (@authorbethvrabel)
Date read: February 6, 2018
Rating: 4 stars

Enjoyed this review? Check out more at http://lisaanreads.com
98 reviews
August 4, 2018
Caleb, a 12-year-old boy with cystic fibrosis tells the story of meeting Kit, a mysterious girl in the woods. He keeps her a secret from his family and friends for most of a summer. He tells his story well and is honest about his resentment of Perfect Patrick-his big, healthy brother. His parents are divorced, his dad is starting a new family with a new wife, his mom is dating. Life is complicated.
Profile Image for Matthew.
2,757 reviews43 followers
March 20, 2017
Review copy provided by NetGalley

Caleb has cystic fibrosis and his mother and brother are all over the idea of making life comfortable for him. However, their constant involvement, from his mother harping over him to his brother's seeming perfection and unfaltering watchfulness, is driving Caleb crazy. When he meets Kit in the woods behind his house, he wonders if he has met a member of the fey rather than a little girl with too little adult supervision. Kit lives in a house in the woods, and she prefers to keep her family concealed from Caleb's prying. Together, the two of them make an unlikely pair, but with Caleb reaching a particularly rebellious phase, Kit seems like just the friend he wants. Her mantra seems to be, "I do what I want." That's very appealing to a child whose life revolves around a regular schedule of assistance and supervision. Of course, Caleb has a lot to learn and Kit's life of complete freedom isn't actually the dream that it seemed to be at first. As Kit's antics cause Caleb more and more trouble, and his newfound rebellious habits put his fragile health at risk, an inevitable collision with reality becomes more and more inevitable. Caleb is going to have to come to some difficult self-realizations and mature decisions, and he is only just coming to realize the true measure of what he's stumbled into.

I loved this book because it was unblinkingly honest. Caleb was no hero. He was just a kid learning about himself and what he could and should do. Not everything ends up being neatly resolved and the characters all take a beating along the way. Caleb makes some decisions that aren't so great and sometimes he does the right thing, but either way he finds that he has to come to terms with the consequences. It's a powerful story, one to which readers will certainly react strongly. Very impressive.
Profile Image for Sarah.
129 reviews
June 27, 2018
Where do I even begin with this book?

Lemme start off by saying that it was amazing.

I really liked how this book brought to light Cystic Fibrosis because it is a very serious and underrepresented illness. I also liked some of the other topics that the author brought to light such as mental illness and child abuse.

Something that I really liked was how even though you rooted for Caleb, there were still points where you didn’t like him all that much. You know why? Because he’s a 3-dimensional boy. He doesn’t always have the best of intentions, he lies sometimes, he’ll mouth off to his parents sometimes, but you don’t hate the kid. You don’t sit there rolling your eyes at everything he does.

The friendship between Caleb and Kit was really cute too. It reminded me a lot of Jess and Leslie from BRIDGE TO TERABITHIA.

So, yeah, sorry for the crap review, but here are my thoughts on the book...so...

Also, Caleb’s dad can go set himself on fire
Profile Image for Sarah Sammis.
7,131 reviews214 followers
July 31, 2018
Caleb and Kit by Beth Vrabel is about a secret friendship between children who live across the river from each other. Caleb is experiencing his first summer of relative freedom, unusual because he has cystic fibrosis. Kit is newly moved into the old house across the stream and she is full of stories of fairies and magic. But not everything she says adds up.

The book isn't just about Caleb. There's also Kit. She's clearly not being well cared for — any adult reading this book will see that. She pulls Caleb into a bunch of things he otherwise wouldn't be doing — some that could get him into trouble or hurt or worse.

Profile Image for Morgan.
3 reviews5 followers
June 16, 2018
“Two long, thick trunks soared straight to the sky and then curved away from each other. I had heard once about trees that do that – live side by side but bend away to share the sun. They are buddies. They could stick close, but if they do, eventually one will struggle to tower over the other, keeping the weaker, unluckier one in the shade. Instead, if they are really friends, they’ll bend apart. I wondered if it hurt, twisting away from your friend like that.” – Caleb and Kit by Beth Vrabel

It has taken me twenty-five years to realize that friendships are ever changing. You would think that friendship should always be something in your life that stays constant; sometimes that’s just not the case. Society makes it so easy to make new friends everywhere you go, rather it’s at work, school, out at the bar, workout class, wherever it is, you will eventually meet somebody that you can share the same interests in potentially leading to a friendship. The hardest thing about friendships is that they are ever changing. Sometimes though, life throws things at your friendship and the best thing to do is bend apart. I can tell Caleb right now, twisting away from those friendships can really hurt.

Caleb and Kit, by Beth Vrabel, portrays such classic friendships through the telling of twelve year olds’ eyes. Caleb at the age of two was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis, which has caused him to be look more like a nine year old rather than a twelve year old; he wish people wouldn’t point that out all the time. Cystic Fibrosis (CF) is a disease that affects the body on a cellular level, causing the mucus in the lungs to be produced thicker than what somebody without CF has. Caleb is at that age in his life where independency is the cool thing to do, battling his mother, father and brother day in and day out to prove that he is fully capable of handling his daily routine. He doesn’t have a typical daily routine, not like most kids his age. His daily routine involves a lot of medications and time spent using his nebulizer. Caleb is determined to prove to everybody that he is able to manage this particular part of his life. One day he found himself walking out in the woods, when stumbling upon a girl named Kit. Kit had an imagination that was out of this world and Caleb was intrigued. That summer Caleb and Kit became inseparable. They find themselves letting their imagination taking over reality, which has found them getting into a little bit of trouble along the way. Eventually, Caleb gets to the point where it’s time to do the mature thing and stop the imagination play and be there for his friend Kit. Join Caleb in his adventure through a summer of friendships, family dilemmas and dealing with a medical condition.

I would have to rate this book a 4 out of 5 stars. I thought Beth did a great job at allowing the reader to put himself or herself in the perspective of a young person who may suffer, not only from CF, but any life-threatening illness.
Profile Image for michelle.
852 reviews23 followers
May 25, 2017
*Note - I received a digital review copy from NetGalley in return for my honest review.

Caleb and Kit tells the story of 12 year old Caleb, who suffers from cystic fibrosis, a diagnosis meaning lungs that fill with mucus and a shortened lifespan. He feels completely overprotected by his mother and his "perfect" big brother. Even his closest friend, Derek, makes sure that he is included when the other kids play sports, but also makes sure that he doesn't over-do it. Caleb is aware of his condition and knows how to take care of himself, but no one ever seems to let him. When summer break comes and he has to spend each day in a camp with mostly 8 and 9 year olds, he just can't take it. To add insult to injury, his father has started a new life with a woman who seems oblivious to his condition.

Caleb's life changes when he gets lost in the woods behind his house one day and meets Kit. Kit is like no one he has ever met. She is home schooled and seems to be free as a bird. Kit believes that she can talk to animals and fairies and doesn't worry about what anyone thinks. Her mantra is "I do what I want," a concept that especially appeals to Caleb who feels so trapped by those looking out for him. Kit's fantasy world and the freedom Caleb feels when he is with her lure him to make some very unwise decisions, including some that risk his health. Early on the reader knows that there is more to Kit than meets the eye. She isn't just a girl with a lot of freedom, she is a girl who isn't being cared for and who is struggling simply to survive. It just takes Caleb a lot longer to figure this out.

I couldn't put this book down. It was wonderfully written, honest, and had true to life middle grade voices. Caleb had moments of exceptionally bad behavior, but a) he's 12 and b) he is fighting for his own voice and his life. Caleb had never really been given the ability to make his own decisions and figure out who he was. He also had quite a chip on his shoulder and found it difficult to comprehend what others might be thinking or feeling. Common enough for any tween, let alone one with CF. Caleb and Kit is a must read and one that I couldn't stop thinking about.

Profile Image for Sandy.
2,488 reviews58 followers
June 1, 2020
I felt more compassion for the secondary character in this book than the main character. At first, I thought perhaps Kit was imaginary but then as the story progressed, I wanted to know more about Kit’s situation as it seemed she had no one, except the rock.

Caleb’s best friend is now into sports, leaving all the things they used to do together behind. Caleb feels like he lives in the shadow of his perfect, older brother Patrick. To escape his brother, Caleb heads off into the woods by their house. Spying some crawfish, Caleb stops to try to catch them. He thought she was an angel the way the sun surrounded her face, but it was only Kit, the new girl who was now telling Caleb how to fish.

This was where she hung out at. This area inside the woods. She invited him to return the next day and he definitely would! Finally, he had someone to hang out with and a special place that no one knew about.

I liked reading about the friendship these two started and how things progressed. They both had issues that they were trying to hide/avoid. Kit was doing a great job of hiding hers and then, there was Caleb, who couldn’t get away from his. Caleb had a father who was unpredictable, a mother who was over-protective, and a brother who thought he could do no wrong.

Caleb starts to question Kit about her carefree life and her responses were short and matter-of-fact. I felt there was some kind of jealousy at times, as Caleb watched Kit. I wanted and needed to know about Kit, as there’s something going on there. Yet, Kit remains silent, not questioning Caleb about his life. Caleb wonders if she notices that he’s different than other kids.

It’s a great book that covers a lot of different topics. Caleb has cystic fibrosis and Kit is being abused and neglected but these issues don’t take center stage. It’s quite an adventure. 4.5 stars
Profile Image for William Marler.
27 reviews1 follower
June 3, 2018
I will always be proud to say I was involved in the making of this book, allowing Beth Vrabel to learn about Cystic Fibrosis from a personal perspective instead of settling with information from the web. However, I adore the fact that this isn’t a book about CF, it’s a book about friendship, with CF playing its part.

Beth has this wonderful ability of creating deep characters, both main and secondary, who I can immediately see others in. I am Caleb, his family is my family, his struggles are my struggles, but I can see everything in a whole new light. This is especially poignant as the first-person writing style was nearly abandoned.

Thank you Beth for writing this book, thank you for allowing me to be involved. Thank you for the dedication you put towards ensuring CF was presented accurately, with all the small things most people miss felt all the way through.

A wonderful book, but more meaningful, an important book.
Author 5 books3 followers
February 1, 2018
The author did her homework on CF. Twelve-year-old Caleb's story rings true in so many ways. The symptoms. The effects. The meds. The rules and routines that have to be followed. The uncomfortable truths. The gamut of emotions that Caleb, his best friend, his family, and classmates deal with. Yet, when he meets Kit, the new girl who seems to live without any rules or supervision, he gradually casts caution to the wind. While his mother thinks he's at summer camp, he's spending most of his time with Kit, seeking adventures. All along, he and Kit hide sad truths to themselves until they no longer can. So riveting the story, I couldn't put it down. Kudos to Vrabel's storytelling.
3,217 reviews25 followers
May 30, 2018
This is great read for middle grade students. Beth Vrabel does a fine job of creating characters in that age group and their issues. Caleb and Kit are well thought out and portrayed characters. Very realistic. I haven't encountered any stories that deal with cystic fibrosis as well as this one did. It covers the disease without shoving it in your face like some stories with diseases or handicaps do; well handled and just part of the story. There's more than enough intrigue in the story to entice even reluctant readers I'm betting and think it would make a fine summer vacation read.
I received a Kindle ARC in exchange for a fair review from Netgalley.
Profile Image for Naomi Campbell.
768 reviews7 followers
June 5, 2018
We have had this book sitting around since my daughter saw Beth Vrabel at a Children's Lit Fest and we began hoarding her books. We finally made it to this one and I'm so glad. I read it to myself but I am definitely recommending my daughter read it. She likes to read books that are real, but have a bit of fairy tale in them, and this uniquely qualifies. She also likes to read about kids or people in general who have some kind of challenge they live with daily, in this case, the main character would be the one. He has cystic fibrosis. I've never read anything about CF so I learned a lot, and he's amazing, and although it has obvious CONS, it also has pros too, when he starts kind of embracing a bit of new self-think or a new "life's motto" when he meets a new friend. I don't want to ruin anything, so that's all I'll say. I'm recommending this to some teacher friends who haven't read it yet. It helps tell all sides of the story.
Profile Image for Ndlucio.
21 reviews3 followers
February 17, 2018
Along with learning some of the complications and challenges of living with Cystic Fibrosis, this book provides the perspectives of friends and family who love the person living with the illness and the impact and toll it takes on them as well. The book was written in a way that kept my alliances shifting throughout the story and allowed me to empathize with each character....well almost all of them.
Profile Image for Heather Burns-Schmidtke.
197 reviews1 follower
December 29, 2017
I loved this!!! The children are written with such depth and character that it makes you wish you could pull them out of the pages of the book and shelter them. Kit is myself written at that age, life isn't what you want or need but with the power of imagination you can make life better (for awhile).
Having them meet at a time when Caleb was trying to assert his place in life was wonderfully done! A powerful story for Juv/Ya readers about self, love and the power of friendship!
This was read as an ARC through netgalley.com.
Profile Image for Kristen Blackton.
555 reviews21 followers
June 17, 2018
Loved the character development in this story along with all of the symbolism. It helped me see what it is like to live with cystic fibrosis, and it also helped me see how it affects more than just one's body. I was pleasantly surprised at how invested I became in the story and in Caleb and Kit. I would recommend to anyone!
Profile Image for RuthAnn.
1,297 reviews178 followers
January 24, 2018
Recommended!

This story is very touching and feels like the books I read when I was a child. In particular, this one felt a lot like Bridge to Terabithia to me, and I kept bracing myself for disaster. Because the main character, Caleb, has cystic fibrosis, I found myself very conscious of how I was breathing as I read. During the many descriptions of his shortened breath, I would breathe in and out very deeply, as if I could help him along. That's the kind of book this is. I felt strongly for Caleb and Kit and their various secrets and heartaches. I'm really glad I read this!
Profile Image for January Gray.
727 reviews14 followers
May 8, 2018
Beyond magical. I completely enjoyed this book! I hope the author writes more!
Profile Image for Betsy Rehm.
47 reviews1 follower
July 25, 2018
A fictional account of growing up, but here, growing up with Cystic Fibrosis is presented in a vibrant, thoughtful narrative.
December 31, 2017
The book is amazing! The characters have great bond and its a great book for kids. In my opinion, it's a must read book!
141 reviews1 follower
May 28, 2018
I liked this book and learned about cystic fibrosis. Tough disease for a 12 year old. Family life. Friends. Lying. Perfect brother. Divorced parents.
Profile Image for E..
42 reviews
December 30, 2017
I picked up this book because the main character has cystic fibrosis. My first impression was Kit seemed a bit like the girl in Bridge to Teribithia. I wasn't sure what to think of Caleb after awhile. Nor Kit. Neither were being honest. During this time I didn't care for the book. But then at the end, I cried.

I received an ARC.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 131 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.