Joie's Reviews > Caleb and Kit

Caleb and Kit by Beth Vrabel

“I wanted to be like Kit, to see stories everywhere. I wanted to make up a new world, one where I wasn’t sick and she was magic. I wanted that more than anything.”

There are so many wonderful things about Caleb and Kit by Beth Vrabel. Beth’s storytelling just keeps getting better and better – I can’t wait until September when I can pass this along to my middle school students!

Summary:
Caleb and Kit is the story of two unexpected friends who meet in the woods behind Caleb’s house one summer afternoon. Caleb is a practical & stubborn twelve-year-old, while Kit is nothing short of magical. She and Caleb see the world differently, but that’s what makes their friendship so unique and wonderful. They both stumble upon each other (almost literally) at the exact right moment of their lives – they need each other in ways they don’t expect.

Caleb has cystic fibrosis – a genetic disease that I honestly did not know much about before reading Caleb’s story. Vrabel does an incredible job showing others what daily life is like for Caleb and his disease and also what life is like for his family members, who played a huge part in this story. I felt like I knew his Mom and Dad, both with polar-opposite personalities, and his older brother, Patrick, who is just trying to figure out where he fits in Caleb’s life.

What I Loved:
The characters! You could see them – they are real, dynamic people who overcome obstacles and grow as the story moves along. It is not just about Caleb and Kit – it’s about all the people in their lives and how these people fit together. I think I liked Caleb’s parents the best – one who drops everything to help her son and adjust to their “new normal,” and one who runs away from his responsibilities, too scared to confront his unexpected challenges.

The writing! Vrabel is so good at capturing this age group. She just gets it – almost as if Caleb was dictating his story to her while she wrote. I found myself laughing out loud at some of the things Caleb thought, and if you have children (or are around children all day), you can relate so much to his attitude and Kit’s faerie-like personality.

The plot! You think you can figure it out as the book moves along, but I found myself dying to know more about Kit’s story – I had so many questions throughout the novel that I could not wait to have answered. There are many layers to this story – but no fluff and nothing is mentioned without some sort of resolution or tie-in to the various pieces of the plot. It’s intricate and beautiful and I think you just need to preorder it already!

Overall Review: 5/5 stars for character development, imagery, and plot
Target age group: 8-12 yrs (but I encourage everyone from all walks of life to read it!)
Release date: September 12, 2017 (my birthday!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caleb and Kit.

March 12, 2017 – Shelved
March 12, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
May 28, 2017 – Started Reading
June 12, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Ned (new)