Start by marking “Blue Ocean Shift: Beyond Competing - Proven Steps to Inspire Confidence and Seize New Growth” as Want to Read:

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER
#1 WALL STREET JOURNAL BESTSELLER
USA TODAY
BESTSELLER

BLUE OCEAN SHIFT
is the essential follow up to Blue Ocean Strategy, the classic and 3.6 million copy global bestseller by world-renowned professors W. Chan Kim and Renee Mauborgne. Drawing on more than a decade of new work, Kim and Mauborgne show you how to move beyond competing, inspire you
Published September 26th 2017 by Hachette Books

To ask other readers questions about Blue Ocean Shift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Ocean Shift

David
Dec 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I love the metaphor. But in the end, this book feels like one more “how to be awesome” business book. It’s better than many, but there are others that more adequately and effectively show what makes for health and success.
Andy
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Blue Ocean" is a nice metaphor, but is it a method? Supposedly it is "proven," so what is the proof?
After reading this book, I'm not sure. There are a few examples given of successful endeavors, but it's not clear to me what that means. Did the authors consult with 1,000 organizations and come up with 10 positive examples? Are there examples of Blue Ocean success from organizations that didn't use their procedures or even hear of their metaphor? Are there any rigorous evaluations of this approa
Mike
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it
As Blue Ocean is so closely tied to the INSEAD brand, it seems to be almost required reading for Alumni. If we assume that the really brilliant ideas would be considered mathematically "elegant" - ie obvious once you see them, perhaps this book is brilliant. However, like Blue Ocean, it takes a couple of hundred pages to get through some pretty simple ideas.

So takeaways:
1. Find out what people want and the industry is currently not providing, and deliver more of that.
2. Find out what people don
Eli Holbourne
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Blue Ocean Shift was a liberating experience for me, a mind-blowing read! To think like a blue ocean strategist is to free yourself from the shackles of your industry’s boundaries and best practices. The authors show you why don’t need to put up with unfavorable conditions and focus so much on the competition. The book is full of brand new concepts and fascinating examples, one of my favorites is how one company created a French fry maker that makes healthy fries without frying, and to this day ...more
Tõnu Vahtra
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Because swimming in the red oceans is too mainstream... Should have started from the original "Blue Ocean Strategy" first probably, this is the book of applying the blue ocean strategy. I was not particularly impressed from the first chapters of the book as the message was quite common sense but it did get better later. The key differentiation of this book is the focus on "non-customers" (both primary non-customers who are missing something from offering and also secondary who had different alte ...more
Anise Pertl
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A practical play by play.
Benjamin Marcher
Max Lapin
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Very disappointingly banal book. Utilizing the bright blue ocean strategy idea the authors wanted to write yet another bestseller a dozen years later. They failed.

It is a very sad story on “presentations must be under 5 minutes”, “appoint a strong leader”, “keep dissent up” with hardly any new content.

Even the “new” six path approach is a replica of Porter’s five
Christopher Lawson
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
In BLUE OCEAN SHIFT, Professors W. Chan Kim and Renee Mauborgne continue their analysis, following up on the well-received BLUE OCEAN STRATEGY. In this sequel, the professors dive into more detail, and provide a detailed “Blue Ocean” plan. Do not expect to just breeze right through this book; it will take time to grasp the details.

The theme of this book:

“Study those who had applied our theory and methodology to their organizations to create and capture blue oceans.”

The authors remind the reader
Michael
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book initiated some good ideas and a different way of thinking. It helped me and my colleagues think of our business venture at least a little differently. It provoked discussion. In the end though, its big-company mentality dwarfed my small corporation, and the tasks at the end got increasingly ridiculous. If one had enough bandwidth to do all the research and investigation the book suggested, then it would be unlikely that one could find himself in need of the book in the first place.
Adele
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
We’ve all heard the old trope, “If you build a better mousetrap, the world will beat a path to your door,” but how many of us have thought about how to actually do this in our own industries? Our third book in the Thought Readers book club presented by Lisa Larter takes the “what” from the 2005 best seller, Blue Ocean Strategy, and provides the “how” with the 2017 release of Blue Ocean Shift.

So, WHAT is a “blue ocean” anyway?
In 2005 W. Chan Kim and Renee Mauborgne wrote the international best-se
Edward
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a business book, I would recommend this title for organisations looking to shift their business out of a rut where they may not be performing as they would like to. It's more a workbook, so you'll need a physical/digital copy, plus the bonus materials it mentions, to get the full benefit of it.

I listened to the audio book and would not recommend this as you can't pull over and make lists of things, or remember all the things you should be doing when you have your next Blue Ocean Shift team me
Mike
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Blue Ocean Strategy is a classic for a reason. However, this sequel is full of fluff.
Peter
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Daniel
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a follow up to the best selling Blue Ocean Strategy. This time, the professors from INSEAD are back and they are going to coach you for the price of this book. They broke down the process to achieve Blue Ocean nirvana into steps:

1. Choose an area that has stopped growing

2. Choose a team including at least the heads of all the departments (including backend ones like HR)

3. Go to the ground and experience the product or service in question as a user, to find out the ‘pain points’

4. Put thi
Erik Surewaard
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As an alumni student of the INSEAD MBA programme, I also had a class on blue ocean strategy given by both authors of this book. Comparing to other strategy frameworks, I was already impressed by the fundamentals and way of thinking behind the Blue Ocean strategy, as also described in their first book.

I honestly have to say that upon buying this book, I was afraid it would be a repeat of the concepts in their first book.. The truth couldn’t have been further from my original assumption.

Whereby ma
Stephanie Thoma
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it
The main idea is that a blue ocean is uncharted territory- it’s not about competing or being the best version of something that already exists- that’s a red ocean. My rating is a 3 because I often found myself bored while reading this book. If you have a specific business in mind and can plan as you go it may be a more engaging read.

Notes:
- 6 stages of the buyer experience cycle: in retail it’d be purchase-chill-open/share-drink-dispose
- identifying non customers of your industry and brainstorm
Jack Greenrose
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a why-not business book. Why not read it? The original blue ocean was great. Why not? Well, why not. I did. And this book is definitely okay. I even had a few moments of clarity while reading it that may help me turn my business and industry around. So most certainly reading this wasn't a waste of time. But this can be a very repetitive piece of writing. The same examples are told and retold again and again and yet again until the dead horse's meat is kicked so tender that you could eat ...more
Pang Khong yun
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The methods and steps to execute blue ocean strategy in this book is pretty straight forward but in terms of applicable is generally still in doubt and uncertainty (The book did give a couple of examples, while these are all based on an already succeeded companies which did not really use the same methods to execute their creative and innovative advances, except for Malaysia's CRP program which marked as their most successful case for implementing the method). Overall, the book is accompanied wi ...more
Jimmy Tu
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was pleasantly surprise to learn how actionable this book was. I've read a ton of strategy books and they all express researching your customers, but this book goes one step further and provides a series of templates to help you ideate a plan prior to extract every minute of value from your target customer groups.

The 5 phases listed below had forms that helped you break down your information visually to helped my stakeholders and I to plan our next steps. I found the Buyer Utility Map to be mo
Manan Younas
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Precise, comprehensive & practical

This book is a great business read. Written in simple words. It delves into practicality more often than not.

The basic premise of the book is simple. Organisations tend to turn inwards or towards the competition when they're trying to expand. However, they should turn outward and think broader than sheer competition.

Organisations should cross the strategic boundaries set by existing practices and set out to build their own reality.

Authors have provided to
Jay Ehret
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a "how-to book" that really tells you how to do it, and gives you all the tools to do it. Explained in detail with forms, worksheets and graphs, Chan & Mauborgne make the process seem doable.

One improvement I would suggest to the authors is to make the process more practicable for smaller businesses. There is lip service given to small business in the book, but it is really written for large corporations and governments, which is logical because they pay the bills. Maybe that will b
Abhi Yerra
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Blue Ocean Shift is a continuation of the Blue Ocean Strategy. While the first book covered the what and why of the strategy namely creating a blue ocean where competition doesn’t exist and creating a product or service that serves the blue ocean instead of competing to the bottom with a red ocean. Blue Can Shift applied the how of creating, analyzing and making a blue ocean. What need to be done and how you go about making it.

Thought I like the ideas presented the book reads a bit dry and could
Yoric
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Through three examples from the start, we can see inspiring alternative approaches to the wild competitive marketplace.
An orchestra that would not compete on technical skills, but favor its country hopes and heritage.
SEB, instead of staying in the narrow and competitive field of french fries cooker, revolutionized it with requiring one spoon of oil only.
Prison alternatives in Malaysia using idle land between military area, teaching prisoners new skills and a second chance to become productive me
Julian Walker
Feb 17, 2018 rated it liked it
An interesting follow up to the original concept with useful 'how to' exercises and charts.

As a read I found it a bit episodic as, just as it gets going, the book goes into another practical session - which are good and useful - but there are some genuinely inspirational thoughts and ideas for anyone looking to redefine their business.

Proof, if it were needed, that there can always be life in an old dog - if you know where and how to look. And this book will help you find that out.
Joonas Kiminki
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Quality content and knowledgeable authors, but could’ve used even more real life case studies. The ones presented were varied and good, but you’d think there’d be more and better ones considering the popularity of the whole blue ocean movement.

Also maybe not the best book to do as an audiobook, although there was absolutely nothing wrong with the production. Would’ve needed the graphs and canvases in visual form.

Tickles the brain, so a thumbs up from that! 👍🏻
Akshat Kharbanda
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This book has a lot of ideas and theory but nothing that gave me many great insights or change in mindset. I think this might be great for medium/large companies & business consultants.
I would recommend, just going through the worksheet/online tools and maybe watch few talks/case study on youtube for it.
Warning: I haven't read the blue ocean strategy, so maybe that is why I was not able to connect with it or the Audiobook narration was not captivating.
Ridzwan
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
The original 'Blue Ocean Strategy', which was first published in 2004, stands today as one of my favourite business books. As such, its sequel titled 'Blue Ocean Shift' became one of the most anticipated business titles of 2017. In this follow-up, the authors gave real examples of companies (and a country) that have adopted their own 'Blue Ocean' initiatives. also provided are tools and templates that can be adopted by organisations looking to make the leap.
Bryan
Nov 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slightly repetitive if you've read the first book. There are places in the book where I felt the tools being peddled were a little forced. In any case, treat this book as a way to challenge your current perception of forward looking strategy. Use the tools as you see fit for your situation. I don't see the tools being an easy fit in every situation.
Tara
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really wasn't enjoying this one for a while but then it started to offer me concepts and examples that I found useful and so it earned itself another couple stars.

To put into practice the technique described in Blue Ocean Shift, you'll have to really take some notes and think things though.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Making Strategy Work: Leading Effective Execution and Change
  • Scale: Seven Proven Principles to Grow Your Business and Get Your Life Back
  • Leading Digital: Turning Technology into Business Transformation
  • Seizing the White Space: Growth and Renewal Through Business Model Innovation
  • The Entrepreneurial Mindset: Strategies for Continuously Creating Opportunity in an Age of Uncertainty
  • Don't Just Roll the Dice - a usefully short guide to software pricing
  • The Service Startup: Design Thinking Gets Lean
  • Digital Bank: Strategies to launch or become a digital bank
  • Infonomics: How to Monetize, Manage, and Measure Information as an Asset for Competitive Advantage
  • Think First: My No-Nonsense Approach to Creating Successful Products, Memorable User Experiences + Very Happy Customers
  • IT Governance: How Top Performers Manage IT Decision Rights for Superior Results
  • Mapping Innovation: A Playbook for Navigating a Disruptive Age
  • Open Business Models: How To Thrive In The New Innovation Landscape
  • Strategy for Sustainability: A Business Manifesto
  • What Rich People Know & Desperately Want to Keep Secret
  • Data and Reality
  • Visual Teams: Graphic Tools for Commitment, Innovation, & High Performance
  • Pervasive Information Architecture: Designing Cross-Channel User Experiences
W. Chan Kim is the Co-Director of the INSEAD Blue Ocean Strategy Institute and a Chair Professor of Strategy and International Management at INSEAD. His book Blue Ocean Strategy, co-authored with Renée Mauborgne, has sold 3.6 million copies and is recognized as one of the most iconic and impactful strategy books ever written. It is being published in a record-breaking 44 languages and is a bestsel ...more
“We call this atomization after Einstein’s reflection that if you deconstruct any challenge into its basic components, or atoms, and focus on solving them one at a time, even the largest challenge shifts from being overwhelming to being intellectually and psychologically solvable.” 1 likes
“Blue ocean shift is a systematic process to move your organization from cutthroat markets with bloody competition—what we think of as red oceans full of sharks—to wide-open blue oceans, or new markets devoid of competition, in a way that brings your people along.” 1 likes