Start by marking “xUnit Test Patterns: Refactoring Test Code” as Want to Read:
xUnit Test Patterns: Refactoring Test Code

xUnit Test Patterns: Refactoring Test Code

(Martin Fowler Signature Book)

Automated testing is a cornerstone of agile development. An effective testing strategy will deliver new functionality more aggressively, accelerate user feedback, and improve quality. However, for many developers, creating effective automated tests is a unique and unfamiliar challenge. xUnit Test Patterns is the definitive guide to writing automated tests using xUnit, th ...more
Published May 1st 2007 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published May 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about xUnit Test Patterns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about xUnit Test Patterns

Gleb Sevruk
Jun 27, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-dev
I started with some interesting reading - but this was only Preface by Martin Fowler. I stopped reading at 200-th page because it gets too repetitive and makes no sense (just a catalogue with generic programming practices)

If you want to learn testing - I would recommend (in order):
Michael Feathers "Working Effectively with Legacy Code" (explains WHY to write test and how to achieve it)
Roy Osherove "The Art of Unit Testing"
Mark Seemann "Dependency Injection in .NET"

These guys knows what they are
Tom Panning
Aug 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: quality
This is a really good 300 page book in 800+ pages. Trying to teach myself unit testing, without a more experienced mentor helping me, I ran into a lot of cases where the suggestions in normal unit testing books and guides didn't seem to work. This book had good solutions for many of those problems.

Unfortunately, this book is incredibly repetitive with an unbelievable amount of duplicated content. It was to the point where I could read a new chapter, and for several pages I would swear that I mus
Lazysmokier
Oct 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Эта книга была написана автором в тесном сотрудничестве с Капитаном Очевидность. Вдвоем они руководствовались принципом "лишь повторенное трижды есть истина". Как результат книга полна воды, среди которой очень сложно отыскать крупицы полезной информации. Практически каждое словосочетание в книге (даже если оно самоочевидно) выделено курсивом и предполагает за собой Паттерн. В итоге некоторые Предложения В Книге представляют собой Типографическое Месиво от которого бы известный Отечественный диз ...more
Stephen
Feb 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, software
Big. It will take you a while. But if you want to go from novice to expert in unit test writing -- and learn more about practical application of design patterns along the way -- then read nearly every page, from cover to cover.

Periodically he seems to repeat himself, but it does serve a useful reinforcement purpose. Also seems to serve the purpose of further justifying the price. Along with no effort to prevent pages with three lines of text, these two function to add perhaps another 10% to the
Jo
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-learning
The most exhaustive work on test automation practices & patterns I've encountered to date.

The book starts with some general outlines: "why", "how", "when",... but is mostly a smell & pattern catalog -including all the redundancy and back-referencing a pattern language implies-.

Topics covered: designing for testability, organising tests, state vs. behavior verification, setup/teardown patterns, getting untestable code under test, tests and databases, dealing with asynchronicity, ... http
Robson Castilho
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: software
Very solid guide about coding high-quality tests.
Being a pattern catalog and a very extensive book, it's better using it as a reference guide or reading it in steps (maybe interleaving it with other books). One issue about being a big pattern catalog is the repetition of samples (and even text) from one pattern to another.
But the major disappointment is not mentioning anything about using Builders for creating Test Data and even Test SUTs (I strongly advice reading about that).
Stijn
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: software
Amazing book! A deep dive into the world of Unit Tests and the Refactoring of Test Code. So many valuable principles and patterns that you can use in your daily practice.
Every individual who calls themselves a 'Professional Developer' MUST read this book.
Marshall
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book makes me feel like this practice of cataloguing software patterns is getting out of hand. It started with Design Patterns, a brilliant book that catalogued 9 common software design patterns. It wasn't intended to be exhaustive, just a handful of some of the most useful patterns. Then other books started cataloguing other patterns, in various realms of software. This book catalogues patterns in unit testing, but not just a handful. I counted 68 patterns, including things such as using l ...more
Rod Hilton
Mar 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I know a lot about unit testing. I'm a big TDD advocate, and I've learned an awful lot of lessons about effective unit testing over the years. I could easily give a series of talks on the topic of unit testing.

And yet, I don't think there's a single thing I know about unit testing that isn't covered in xUnit Test Patterns. This book is the bible of unit testing, unbelievably thorough. Nearly every aspect of unit testing is covered (at least that I know about), categorized into patterns and organ
Gishu Pillai
Aug 22, 2016 rated it liked it
My primary complaint with this book - it's too big. That's a shame - since there is some good stuff in here that needs to be read.

I've seen first hand that 'bad xUnit tests can be worse than having no xUnit tests' - teams sink hours trying to keep their tests green, while the tests are like christmas lights flickering red n green on their own accord.

Tests are code - the same rigor n quality procedures need to be applied for tests. If not the tests can cripple and impede development (instead of b
Vasili Puchko
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technical
It's the Unit Testing Bible. It's highly informative, it covers almost everything a developer should know about Unit Testing. It's big, but it's a very good time investment if you want to become a great programmer.
Umang Bhatt
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Natural successive read after Kent beck's book.
Matt McCormick
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: software
Very tough to read through as it's laid out as more of a reference book with many references back and forth to other sections.
Álvaro Hernández
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Must read! for anyone who is writing software, therefore should be writing tests
Edward
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: software
A huge tome on everything xUnit. Part 1, the Narratives, explains all the basics and I would recommend reading completely. It gives a great overview of both the test "smells" and the patterns in later sections. Part 2, the Test Smells I think of as Martin Fowler's Refactoring book, except dealing strictly with testing. It's organized very similarly to that classic book. Part 3, the Patterns, is like Fowler's Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture, except again, only dealing with common ...more
Damon
Aug 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I thought this was a good book, particularly if you're new or somewhat new to automated testing. I was a bit disappointed personally though as I found that what other reviewers have said to be true: the book is about 3x longer than it needs to be.

The book is fairly repetitious. You'll find a chapter discussing a subject. Then there will be a section describing that subject as a pattern. Then each of the variations of that pattern (which were already discussed) are discussed again as separate pat
Väinö Leppänen
This book is not meant to be read in its entirety, so I did not. The first 181 pages that I did read gave a nice coverage of unit testing with (surprise surprise) a particular focus on xUnit tools. The book moves along in a logical fashion, each chapter building on the previous ones which I consider to be very important. The contained illustrations I didn't care for too much; mostly I thought they were unnecessary for me personally but I can see that others might benefit more from them.
After the
Helge Stenström
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good, but it repeats itself a bit too much.
Stefan Teixeira
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is definitely the "Unit Testing Bible". It's a great reference book and it covers everything you could imagine about unit tests, which is very valuable. Despite its focus on unit testing, much of the smells, patterns and techniques covered by the book are definitely applicable to automated tests in other levels, such as integration or UI.

However, the book is VERY repetitive. If you want to read it in its entirety, be prepared to read the same things all over again for multiple times. I
Johnny Graber
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great reference book on patterns around testing, not so interesting to read from cover-to-cover. However, when you have a problem with your automated tests, then there is most likely a solution in this book.

Many problems you run into with starting test automation are covered. I wish I had read this book years before and would not have needed to make the errors for myself. If you are testing your software with automated tests, then this book is a must-read. Don’t shy away because it has so man
Neville Ridley-smith
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, technical
Yes, I read the whole damn thing. There's quite a bit of repetition and a lot of very straightforward stuff, so it was quite quick to read for the most part. I make it a habit to spend 15 minutes at work every day reading a technical book and I could generally get through about 20 pages of this each time.

There's a lot of good stuff in there and I've taken on board some of the advice. I'm also going to keep it handy as a reference.
John Curtis
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very good, exHAUSTive overview of the xUnit test space. Meszaros names things that I don't think others name or would agree with his name of, but the distinction between the nuances of testware componentry is unique if nothing else. And .. he knows his stuff and makes you think, which is exactly what development-focused engineers need when thinking about the foreign land of testing. Well, I guess it's foreign no more :-D
Jean Tessier
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: software
An amazing text on testing. I read the first 200 pages, the narrative, and skimmed the rest of the catalog of patterns. It does a great job of defining a vocabulary for unit testing and really nails down the terminology. The narrative format really brings the language to life, shows how all the terminology fit together very nicely. A must read for anyone doing unit testing with any of the xUnit frameworks.
Brett
Mar 21, 2008 rated it liked it
I got half-way through this on the first go.

For me, this really serves as a reference piece instead of a book that you get something out by reading the prose.

With as many times as this book is referenced in other pieces that I read though, I think it may become more important for me over time.
Leah
May 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Meg, Debbie, Henry
Shelves: nonfiction
Highly informative and reasonably readable. The organization was excellent; several introductory chapters and then a listing of patterns, with a glossary and appendices in the back. Plenty of motivating examples throughout.
If you want to make sure your unit tests are as effective as you think they are, read this book!
Scott
Jul 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: software engineers
I reviewed this for IEEE Software. This is a great book for software developers/engineers in the often neglected unit test practice. This book starts with philosophy, principles, and then gets into foundations of unit tests and finally with the catalog of patterns. It also discusses smells and refactoring.
Ronald Rajagukguk
Nov 23, 2011 rated it really liked it

After almost a year, finally i've finished reading this "bible of unit test". i called it bible since this books contains a tons of information on unit test, starting from the basic of it. I recommend this book for every one who want to learn how to write a unit test and also for anyone who want to start practice TDD.
Matt
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Definitely the best resource I've found to understanding the xUnit framework and how to apply it effectively. This book also has *tons* of information. It took me the better part of the year to get through it all (although I was reading it in 15 minute intervals).
Günter Zöchbauer
An exhaustive essay about unit testing.
I really love this book because I learned so much,
event if it's sometimes somewhat tiring to read due to many
repetions because the book is desiged as a reference book.
Jeroen
Aug 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work
Great book learns you a lot about how to tackle writing tests in a lot of different cases.
  • Refactoring to Patterns
  • Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests
  • Test Driven Development: By Example
  • Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture
  • Enterprise Integration Patterns: Designing, Building, and Deploying Messaging Solutions
  • Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software
  • Agile Software Development, Principles, Patterns, and Practices
  • Working Effectively with Legacy Code
  • Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams
  • Applying Domain-Driven Design and Patterns : With Examples in C# and .NET
  • The Art of Agile Development
  • Software Craftsmanship: The New Imperative
  • Continuous Integration: Improving Software Quality and Reducing Risk
  • 97 Things Every Software Architect Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • The Art of Unit Testing: With Examples in .NET
  • Implementing Lean Software Development: From Concept to Cash
  • User Stories Applied: For Agile Software Development

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

Martin Fowler Signature Book (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Refactoring to Patterns
  • Refactoring HTML: Improving the Design of Existing Web Applications
  • Beyond Software Architecture: Creating and Sustaining Winning Solutions
  • Refactoring Databases: Evolutionary Database Design
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation
  • Domain-Specific Languages
  • Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture
  • Continuous Integration: Improving Software Quality and Reducing Risk
  • Service Design Patterns: Fundamental Design Solutions for SOAP/WSDL and RESTful Web Services
“Testing the business logic inside the system under test (SUT) via the user interface is a bad idea. Even” 0 likes