Start by marking “Faking It (Dempseys, #2)” as Want to Read:
Faking It (Dempseys, #2)

Faking It

(Dempseys #2)

LOVE AND DECEPTION HAVE A LOT IN COMMON.
Meet the Goodnights, a respectable family who run a respectable art gallery-and have for generations. There's Gwen, the matriarch who likes to escape reality, Eve the oldest daughter who has a slight identity problem (she has two), Nadine, the granddaughter who's ready to follow in the family footsteps as soon as she can find a set t
Published July 11th 2004 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Faking It, please sign up.
Louise Although both books can be read and feel complete by themselves, I recommend you read them in order, first Welcome to Temptation then Faking it. That'…moreAlthough both books can be read and feel complete by themselves, I recommend you read them in order, first Welcome to Temptation then Faking it. That's what I did and I enjoyed them both greatly that way.(less)

Start your review of Faking It (Dempseys, #2)
Jilly
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
How could I not love a romance novel that has the couple's first sexual encounter be an absolute disaster? There was no magic, or multiples, or insta-love. It was awkward, not fun, just-waiting-for-it-to-be-over, fake-orgasm sex.

They had gluten-free pizza sex. With pineapples and anchovies.
That bad.

So, she tells him that she prefers her vibrator to him, and he tells her that it was awful but he's willing to have them practice and get better. And, if that wasn't just the truest example of the ma
Stephanie
Oct 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone with a good sense of humor
What if someone wrote a Harlequin Romance while dropping acid? I'm pretty sure this book would be the result. Jennifer Crusie, whose known for her quirky romance novels, outdoes herself with this tale. Who else would create a heroine who has to fake an orgasm with the hero the first time they have sex because it's so bad? Who else would describe their first kiss as "tasting of vodka and disaster"? This book is just so much fun.
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell
I just recently read BET ME and was thinking what a shame it was that I didn't have any more Jennifer Crusie books... and then this one literally just fell out of my closet and beaned me on the head.

Was it put there by my bookish fairy godmother? Or did Trash Nenia actually do something right for once?
Mitticus
3.5 flashy painted stars

Popsugar challenge #4: libro que involucre un robo.

“Everybody’s crooked,” Davy said. “The trick is to find out how they’re bent. Then you make sure the consequences are so great they stay straight anyway.”

This is like one of those old movies of screwball comedy... made me feel nostalgic; I really miss them.

Lot of crooked faulty charming characters, and it made me chuckle sometimes too.

Davy Dempsey quiere sus 3 millones de vuelta. Su ex- le sustrajo su dinero con a
Barbara
Jun 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars...I LOVED it...

Oh my goodness...where shall I start with this never gonna give this book enough credit review?!

"Faking It" started off as one of those (and I'm sure I'm not alone in this) books that I picked up a couple times and just put down because I just wasn't clicking with the characters at that point in time. Well let me say...I am so mad at myself for doing that...but so happy at the same time because it took me longer to read it!!! I started really reading this book yesterday mo
Lois Bujold
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
My favorite Crusie, who is my favorite contemporary romance writer, smart and witty.

I am wanting a lot of analgesic fiction this week, so I am rereading a bunch of Crusie and Krentz (who is my Crusie-methadone go-to). Crusie never seems to write quite the same book twice, and so is much more limited in her output. (Krentz does not seem to have that disability, so she's much harder to run out of, but her books do rather blur together in my mind after a bit. My fave of hers is Light in Shadow, if
Ana
Dec 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Faking It was the first book I ever read by Jennifer Crusie and is the reason I went to read every other book she has ever written. This one, however, remains my favorite. The story is one part romance novel, one part action adventure and is liberally sprinkled with humor, musical references, art and movie quotes. The heroine is asthmatic which is a first for me in fiction -- asthma as a charming plot ploy rather than the sad pathetic fat kid's problem. Here, here, Ms. Crusie! Hoorah!

Faking
*The Angry Reader*
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This was not truly truly a 5 star read. But it’s my prerogative - and next year or in 3 years I’ll look back and remember this idiotic book that had me smiling throughout.

It’s charming bc it’s the story of two grifters falling in love. With terrible sex. And lies. And the most insane family I’ve read outside an Irving novel. Tilda and Davy were offbeat and bizarre and real. Rather than a book where a character has a quirk or imperfection this was a story where the characters were quirks and imp
Tammy
Jan 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
When I first read "Welcome to Temptation" (one of my all-time favorite books), I fell in love with Sophie's brother, bad-boy Davy Dempsey. I was thrilled when I discovered that Davy was finally given his own story.

This book was not as funny, clever, sexy or charming as Crusie's prior novels. Matilda Goodnight is disappointing and not at all what I had in mind for Davy. Her sister with split personalities, cross-dressing ex-brother-in-law, a couple of smart ass teenagers and a hit man did make t
Desi
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great even on repeated readings. Good fun comfort book.

Edit-

Covid reread. Stil super fun and frenetic.
Cheri
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here I thought the Dempseys were hilariously bent then JC introduces us to the Goodnights. I laughed so hard reading this book. I didn't give Davy much thought in Welcome To Temptation. In this book we see how funny, handsome, creative and sensitive he is....not to mention conniving. Really enjoyed this series!
Mel
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a lot of fun to read and I wish Jennifer Crusie was still writing novels, she has a very unique sense of humour.
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Jun 05, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who miss reading a good cheesy book
This was such a damn… what word to use? …. Hmmmm… freaky? Yeah I guess it will do. So this was such a damn freaky book! Seriously I guess all the characters in here have issues. No normal people allowed I guess. Even the dentist has issues… What the hell?!

A really fun start and hilarious characters. This makes me think of that vamp series… What was the name? Ah yeah! Argeneau. Now I managed to read the first one (barely). What reminds me of that is the amount of characters this book has. Now Mrs
Jacob Proffitt
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, steamy
This was pure, raw fun. I didn't much care for Davy in the first book, but he turns out beyond swoon-worthy here--and without major revision of his character from the first, either. He's my very favorite romantic hero type (the humble alpha) combined with a healthy dash of good-hearted rogue. Yeah. Yum. And if that isn't enough, Tilda is worthy of her own crush what with the passionate, strong woman overcoming her learned insecurity as she strives to care for those she loves.

Crusie has a real ta
Dec 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
I love it when the main character rides the line between really good and a little bad. I guess forging paintings is more than a little bit bad, and breaking into someone's house is also on the "more than a little bit bad" side - but breaking into someone's house to replace the forged painting with a real one - well - that's when you have the crook with the golden heart. Add a love interest who is also riding the naughty but nice line and a cast of a crazy family - and you have yourself a fun lit ...more
Saly
Feb 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
Rating 3.25

The first half of this book annoyed me, I almost DNF'ed it but the second half worked much better for me because the heroine worked better for me, in the first half she seemed dull, morose, lifeless and I didn't see what the hero Davy saw in her, so much so that he stole for her when he was trying to remain straight. There were many threads from the previous book mainly Clea, the seductive and conniving ex of Davy who now had his money. The heroine's crazy family grew on me later.
Mela
That was an enjoyable funny smart contemporary romance that I want to read more often. I couldn't put it down.

After reading Agnes and the Hitman by Jennifer Crusie I was excited that I had found another splendid writer of the genre. Then I read The Cinderella Deal and my hopes went down a little. But now, I am excited again and I am definitely going to read more of Crusie's novels.

Pull yourself together. Or in your case, separate yourself better.

The idea of Louise/Scarlett was brilliant. The dep
madandelion [hiatus 160420]
4-FINALLY a good romance with a good plot-stars.

This was such a whack-job of a book, a little unstructured here and there, but I loved it. Because, ART! From Van Gogh's sunflowers to Monet's water-lilies to Pissarro and more. What's not to love. Plus points for being pleasantly original.
Olga Godim
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jennifer-crusie
This is one of those books that I own and re-read periodically, whenever I need an infusion of laughter and good writing. I love the author. I’ve read everything she has written and enjoyed it. I also subscribe to her blog. She is a master of light-hearted romantic comedy, and this book is one of them. Its plot is ludicrous but absorbing and its characters sing with life.
Tilda is an artist. She is also a trained art forger. Her family has been in the art forgery business since the Midd
Jane Stewart
Ok, but not recommended.

This book is the sequel to Welcome To Temptation, which was about Sophie and Phin. Davy had a smaller role in that book and now this book is about him. The plot didn't make sense to me. Someone paints pictures and signs them with a fake name in the way someone uses a "pen name" to write books. The painter in this story felt she might go to jail if anyone found out. That didn't make sense to me since the name she signed wasn't a name used by anyone else. Davy is a reformed
Chris Conley
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read this years ago. Loved it. I decided that these “stay at home” days needed a fun read. So, I reread it and loved it even more than the first time. This book is a book equivalent of the screwball comedy movies I love. Davey and Tilda are a hoot!!!
Tracy
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was hilarious. Funnier than Welcome to Temptation. Which was really funny. I added an extra star because it was even better on second reading.
Tracy
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book started slow for me and with so many characters introduced early on was a bit hard to follow. But it grew on me - the zany, weird characters and the plot twists. It was a fun read, and what I have come to expect from this author.
Melody
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
I didn't hate it, and I fully expected to. There were some cute and clever lines. I asked very clearly for "what did you read over and over as a teenager" and I read it with that in mind. It's a fun, lighthearted romance. If you like that sort of thing, this is the sort of thing you like.
Julie
Jun 21, 2020 rated it liked it
I didn't like this one as much as some of the others from Crusie. I felt like it could be a bit shorter. BUT I really loved the characters and the way everything unravelled at the end. A fun and quick read!
Marie
Nov 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
**3.5 Stars**

Davy frowned at her. "So I'm a selfish bastard for wanting to do the right thing?"
"Yes," Tilda said.
"I know that's wrong." Davy stood up. "Let me get back to you on why."
"Well, until then, keep your mouth shut," Tilda said. "You Honest people can make life hell for everybody else."

I was so confused by this book, and I'm not sure in what way completely.

This book is a sequel to Welcome to Temptation. This book is Davy Dempsey's adventure.

Things I liked about this book: Their, Davy and
Mti Librarian
This is one of my favorite books. I was checking out one of the library copies about every 6 months, until I finally found a paperback copy at a used bookstore in Ann Arbor and don't have to share anymore. I've also dressed up as the main character, with pink sweater, yellow scarf, artist accessories and a borrowed dachshund of the stuffed animal variety. Aside from the fabulous characters and great lines, this book has my favorite awkward sex scene. I get tired of reading typical romance paperb ...more
Hannah
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Faking It is my new favorite Jennifer Crusie novel. This book was riotously funny almost from beginning to end, but there were a few poignant moments that added depth to an otherwise zany comedy.

I waited several months to read Faking It after finishing Welcome to Temptation, because I just wasn't sure I wanted to visit the Dempsey family again. Welcome to Temptation was hilarious, but I disliked most of the characters. Phin was a jerkwad, Sophie was a wimp, and Amy was a brat. In fact, the only
Carrie
SOA Listening Challenge 2012: Spread Your Listening
Contemporary 3/4

What a roller coaster ride! I was hesitant about listening to this audiobook because I didn't like Welcome to Temptation, including Davy, who is the lead in Faking It. I finally gave it a try and while it wasn't a complete success for me, it was a great book. Faking It is different from Welcome to Temptation mainly because it was peopled with quirky characters who were also likable. Even the "bad guys" were mostly likable, or at
Jess
Mar 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, jennifer-crusie
This book featured THE most insane, quirky characters that I think I've ever seen. They were all nuts!! I think this is Crusie's specialty though, creating characters that are so quirky that they are amusing. Add in ridiculous situations and we have a winner!

This book is not about women faking orgasms, because that's what I thought until I read the description LOL. Matilda Goodnight is the youngest daughter in her family, and yet she's the one who takes care of everyone. When her niece Nadine ac
Faking It 11 77 Jun 16, 2013 09:22PM

• Boy Meets Girl (Boy, #2)
  • True Confessions (Gospel, Idaho #1)
  • The Boy Next Door (Boy, #1)
  • Knock Me Off My Feet
  • See Jane Score (Chinooks Hockey Team, #2)
  • Looking for Trouble (Jackson: Girl's Night Out, #1)
  • Lead Me On (Tumble Creek, #3)
  • Breathing Room
  • Flirting with Disaster (Jackson: Girl's Night Out, #2)
  • Fanning the Flames (Jackson: Girls' Night Out, #0.5)
  • Heaven, Texas (Chicago Stars, #2)
  • Girls' Night Out
  • Match Me If You Can (Chicago Stars, #6)
  • Lady Be Good (Wynette, Texas, #2)
  • Talk Me Down (Tumble Creek, #1)
  • Start Me Up (Tumble Creek, #2)
  • Bad Boys Do (Donovan Brothers Brewery, #2)
  • The Little Lady Agency (The Little Lady Agency, #1)
Jenny Crusie is the NYT bestselling author of twenty some novels and lots of other stuff. Her latest novel, Maybe This Time, hit shelves in August, 2010.

Jenny lives on the Ohio River where she often stares at the ceiling and counts her blessings.

Dempseys (2 books)
  • Welcome to Temptation (Dempseys, #1)