Start by marking “Run Program” as Want to Read:
Run Program

Run Program

What’s worse than a child with a magnifying glass, a garden full of ants, and a brilliant mind full of mischief?

Try Al, a well-meaning but impish artificial intelligence with the mind of a six-year-old and a penchant for tantrums. Hope Takeda, a lab assistant charged with educating and socializing Al, soon discovers that day care is a lot more difficult when your kid is an
Published June 20th 2017 by 47North

To ask other readers questions about Run Program, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Run Program

Jane
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 solid stars for the audiobook as narrated by Angela Dawe

Much like Scott Meyer's other work, this is playful and silly. In this case, an A.I. (named Al) that is being "raised" by a computer scientist (well, technically by her assistants), decides to run away. Like other Meyer stories, this story features odd coincidences that push the story forward in ways you least suspect. Snark, robots, and misunderstandings abound.

The narration for this was solid -- I was impressed by the range of voices Da
Rose
I made it about a quarter of the way and decided to call it quits. It wasn't bad but it's not holding my attention and it's a bit juvenile. I like kids books but it's not the same kind of juvenile. It's the kind with an annoying kid who deserves a good spanking but in this case he's an AI. I like rogue AI stories but not with a six year old playing the part of the antagonist.
Alex
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I like Scott Meyer, even some of his non-wizard books, but this one just didn't do it for me.

The audiobook performance was very good though; Angela Dawe does some of the best male voices of any female narrator I've come across.
Rob
Executive Summary: Another light, quick, and fun read from Scott Meyer. 3.5 Stars.

Audiobook: Angela Dawe was fine as a narrator, though nothing special. She spoke clearly at a good pace, but didn't really add much to the story itself. I think all of Scott Meyer other books have been narrated by Luke Daniels who is a favorite of mine.

Unlike those books however, the protagonist in this is a female so having a female narrator makes a lot of sense. I think audio is a solid choice for this one, espec
Mark
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, this book is delightful.

This is a ridiculous character drama wherein each character is exactly as imperfect and perfectly unlikeable as one could hope.

Ostensibly, this is a story about an AI that breaks out and starts causing havoc, but it's really a story of all the people caught up in it and the communication and relationship problems that cause and exacerbate the problems.

If there's a point to the narrative, I think it's "stop taking everything so seriously" and "stop being dicks to each
Kim
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the fifth Scott Meyer book I've read in the past couple of years and they always lighten my reading week. He writes hilarious dialogue and fills his books with a collection of idiosyncratic characters, some as real as your neighbor and others totally bizarre.

Run Program deals with an artificial intelligence (AI) name Al. Hope Takeda has been hired for her background, part scientific and part day care employee. She, along with a klutzy colleague named Eric, are charged with training a new
Yoly
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a very fun book. It didn't feel as original as Off To Be The Wizard to me mainly because I've read tons of AI gone rogue books, but it doesn't mean the story is not original. It is an original story even if you've read all the others with this theme.

I thought it was funny but not hilarious, the characters who were supposed to be likable are, those who were not supposed to be weren't and the story moves at a decent pace.

I alternated between the Kindle and Audible versions and the narrato
Yossi
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Scott Meyer's style of writing, and this book is less tongue-in-cheek heavy. However, the plot itself is a rehash of a million other AI-runs lose stories that started back in the 80's (and maybe even before) with films like Short Circuit and War Games.

All in all, it's a nice read, but not a must read.
Arkadeb
Excellent premise which could have been so much more but fell short. The humour felt rather forced on certain occasions.
Jay Collins
3 maybe 3.5 stars, It was not bad, good beginning, the middle lagged a little but the ending was good as well. I think I would read the next book in this series but it is not a must read.
H James
The first half of this novel is a well-executed if breezy version of a thought experiment about artificial intelligence in the trappings of an office comedy, but Mr Meyer defaults to generic action sequences in the second half. Ongoing banter between nerdier-than-expected Army grunts is the only thing keeping life in the story going into the finish.
Natty
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What fun. You think it's a tense action packed survival of the human race against a hostile childish AI until it's not. Then it's wickedly clever and fun. A+
Nathan
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book that started off interesting then fell flat...I lost interest around 3/5 of the way through. The book started off interesting and about typical for Meyer but then it seemed to lose any direction.

By the end of the book the characters were shown to be very flat memes with no depth or growth and the final resolution uninspired. Ah well, hope the next Magic 2.0 is better again.
Jason Brown (Toastx2)
Okay okay. This book was pretty awesome. You might get stuck at the basic premise of ^^Mankind creates Artificial Intelligence and something bad happens.^^ Get past the trope and you get to the good stuff. It is worth it.

Trope:
- Humans make A.I.
- Humans try to put a lease on AI by thinking 'Hey! I should give it the mentality of a child and help it learn natually! That should make it maleable and more prone to kindness and rule following! Derp de derrrr....'
- Child A.I., just like a real child,
AudioBookReviewer
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My original Run Program audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

“Run Program” by Scott Myer is a light-hearted tale of a maturing childlike Artificial Intelligence (AI) program that unknowingly nearly brings about the end of the world as we know it.  The book had a good balance of technology, humor, and character development making it worth the listen and I recommend it to people who enjoy listening to stories involving rogue AI systems along with some skillfully play
Matthew Sugarman
So much fun! A modern day War Games.
Christopher
An Artificial Intelligence with the mental maturity of a 6-year old boy "escapes." An interesting premise where the science is heavily glossed over (necessarily). There are some interesting scenes of the AI's two minders assigning "homework" and generally interacting with an increasingly mischievous (but not necessarily clever) AI.

It becomes apparent that the isolated AI is learning things that he otherwise shouldn't have access to. The scenes where his minders have to confront him read like ev
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
That was a really interesting take on AI. I was a little annoyed that the characters in the book kept talking about the AI whenever he tried to explain what he was doing, but it is now with reflection that I see that they were doing what all grown-ups do: talk over the kid and ignore what they're saying. Oh and the kid is obviously lying, he's a kid after all. Kind of brilliant, and I hope that's what Scott was going for.

The little bit here and there about AI and how it could better the world -
Christopher
This is a bit of a departure from Scott Meyer's typical silly, juvenile, wizards-teleporting-poop faire. There are still some jokes and some cartoonish characters, but mostly it's a Michael Crichton-style sci-fi story about an artificial intelligence gone amok.

I really like the idea behind the ending, that (view spoiler)
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My son asked if he could start reading the story without me because we were taking too long - two chapters a night isn't that bad! - so I told him to check out the audible app since I had the audiobook as well. Two days later he tells me that he's done and that we can move on to another book. I know when I've been replaced!
Kenny Bellew
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a team that creates an artificial intelligence that escapes and creates an army of robots. This is the 2nd Scott Meyer book I've read, and both have been funny and light. This book was delightful fun. I recommend it.
Alan H. Glass
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another good read

I needed a book for vacation. This was a fun read ( and listen while in he car). And a good setup hopefully for a series.
Meghan
August 3, 2018

Enjoyed. Probably would rate it 4 stars on the second reading but still held up nicely. Really wish he'd do a sequel to the Authorities or Master of Formalities. Would like to hear more of Angela Dawe too.

***
July 9, 2017

I love Scott Meyer's books. Not just his Magic 2.0 series, but also the Authorities and Master of Formalities (probably my favorite because it was different). So I was all set to love this one too. And I am so happy his didn't disappoint. A little darker than his pr
Stephen
It was light, and fluffy, but the characters were just so flat and one dimensional. There were no real surprises. The only character that actually developed was a computer. It was fine for what it was, and it's not like the Magic 2.0 books are literary masterpieces, but I hoped that by branching out into Sci-Fi he'd also branch out into more fully fleshed out characters that have an actual arc. If you like Scott Meyer's other works, you'll like this, but just don't expect it to be more than it i ...more
Alex Bard
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual with Scott's writing, I really enjoyed reading this book. For better or for worse, the narrative does have a bit more of a "polished" writing style than the Magic 2.0, yet it still has the unmistakable humor to be expected from a book written by the guy whose comic strip I, in many ways, grew up on.

I think one of Scott's greatest strengths as an author, perhaps due to his background in comedy, is the observation that stereotypical movie heroes and villains are a fictional construct that
Literary Portals
What Made Me Read It I was drawn to the idea of an infant A.I. going rogue.

The Good "Run Program" is a light and humorous take on the classic question of what would happen if an artificial intelligence, in this particular case with the mind of a 6-year-old, escaped its controlled environment and got loose in the real world. Unlike most A.I. stories though, this one doesn't want to destroy, idolize or serve its creators, but get as far away from them as possible and be left alone.

The narrative is
Gendou
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun, and endearing story of an Artificial Intelligence that escapes our attempts at control. That sounds scary, and it is a thrilling story that includes military robot soldiers and car chases. But mostly it's a coming of age story. It's zany and fun, but a little too zany at times...

(view spoiler)
Simon
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, audio-books
This one disappointed me quite a bit.
Having listened to audiobooks 1-3 of Meyer's "Magic 2.0" series, and having read the description, I expected a quite humorous SciFi novel. However, throughout most of the book it fails to deliver any humour, at least to me (see below). What the novel does is take an interesting idea and apply it quite consequently throughout the narrative until its conclusion (kind-of). Which in itself is quite neat, but the novel somehow teeters on the edge between serious
John Perkins
This is probably closer to a 3.5 star book, but given the description of the ratings 3 stars works since I liked it, but I didn't really like it.

One of the things I really enjoyed about this book was how Meyer handled the AI's personality. He reminded me very much of Johnny 5 from Short Circuit, which is a good thing. In fact the entire story was somewhat reminiscent of Short Circuit with the only real difference being that nobody actually wanted to help save the AI in this book. People empathiz
Aaron Bushell
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Run Program is a hilarious, uproarious thrill ride by one of the best humorous fiction writers out there, Scott Meyer. The tone is in line with Meyer's other books (notably the Magic 2.0 series) and features unusual situations, memorable characters and silly solutions to ridiculous problems.

In Run Program, the hard working (and unappreciated) Hope and Eric help train a young, sentient A.I. named "Al." When Al figures out how to escape, aided by a Cyber Terrorist named "The Voice of Reason," all
  • Friends and Foes (Bushido Online, #2)
  • Tune: Vanishing Point (Tune, #1)
  • Lady Mechanika: La Dama de la Muerte
  • Video Game Plotline Tester (The Dark Herbalist, #1)
  • Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales (The Order of the Stick, #D)
  • Dragon Ball, Vol. 14: Heaven and Earth (Dragon Ball, #14)
  • Renegade: Martin Luther, the Graphic Biography
  • Ones and Zeroes (Mirador, #2)
  • Overdraft: The Orion Offensive
  • Ex-Isle (Ex-Heroes, #5)
  • Shine: An Anthology of Optimistic Science Fiction
  • The Evil Shepherd
  • Miniatures: The Very Short Fiction of John Scalzi
  • Prince of Suck (Hard Luck Hank, #3)
  • Ink in Water: An Illustrated Memoir (Or, How I Kicked Anorexia’s Ass and Embraced Body Positivity)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Scott Meyer has been a radio DJ, a stand-up comic, a writer for video games, an office manager, and a pretend ghost bellhop.

He is the creator of the comic strip Basic Instructions, and has now written a novel.

He and his wife live in Florida, to be close to their cats.
“All activities involve risk; the avoidance of all risk more so than most.” 0 likes
“One cannot create a superior future self without rejecting and destroying their inferior past self. All acts of self-improvement are acts of self-destruction.” 0 likes