Start by marking “Florette” as Want to Read:
Florette

Florette

When Mae’s family moves to a new home, she wishes she could bring her garden with her. She’ll miss the apple trees, the daffodils, and chasing butterflies in the wavy grass. But there’s no room for a garden in the city. Or is there?
Published February 20th 2018 by Clarion Books

Start your review of Florette
Calista
I love this kind of story. This poor girl is a gardener. Her parents moved her to the city where there is no green. It’s a concrete jungle and this little girl is so sad. She longs for plants and draws them on everything. Why would you bring a little girl like that to the city —yeah yeah, I know, work.

Anyway, She finds this beautiful greenhouse and it’s closed. It gives her hope and as they settle into the city she finds her way. I have read a book similar to this before and I just love this ty
Hilary
This is nicely illustrated picture book about a young girl who moves to the city and misses her garden. She tries to find ways of bringing what she misses into her new home. I like the dog in this story, well observed. The story is nice enough but I found it simplistic with it's message and I couldn't help wondering if someone who was used to their own garden with trees would find comfort in some pot plants, I certainly don't think a dog would be impressed with this swap.
Laura Harrison
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
The cover art is so detailed and beautiful. An amazing picture book.
Jackie Ostrowicki
"When Mae's family moved to the city, Mae wanted to bring her garden with her." The book opens with every family member carrying what's most important to them: the dad lugging two boxes (probably with computers and whisky inside); the mom toting the baby sister, and Mae with a backpack containing stuffed animals and holding an already-wilting flower. This is a sweet little book about a child who moves to the city, longs for green spaces, finds one, and ends up creating her own green space in her ...more
Kathryn
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Little Mae is adorable and her way of bringing her garden into the city is adorable.
Jess
Florette: meaning a small flower, and the Latin name for a Roman goddess of flowers.

Anna Walker never ceases to amaze me. Not only has she written the sweetest little picture book, but she has also illustrated some of the most stunning images that I've ever seen; Floretteis a true piece of art. What's more the combination of Walker's simply but elegant text and her beautiful illustrations ensure that the story's heart and gentle nature is capture perfectly on every single page.

Floretteis a book
Christine
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, nature
Adorable and inspiring! This picture book for children drew me in with its sweet cover, and lovely interior illustrations. I'm in the mood for nature/garden/tree/flower books, of all kinds, with many April occasions soon to occur. Earth Day and Arbor Day are favorites, leading up to the best: May Day. May 1st is no longer much celebrated, but I have fond childhood memories, and a fun festival to still attend every year!

Returning to the book: Florette entices with its lush, overgrown, indoor gard
Tatiana
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
With a setting that is distinctly Parisian, Florette tells the tale of Mae, who longs for the garden she left behind when moving to the urban area. I adore the message of creating a green space out of city gray; the muted illustrations helped drive this point home. It would be a wonderful book to read for Arbor Day.
cindy
Mar 03, 2018 added it
Shelves: picture-books
Anna Walker writes the sweetest picture books, and this one had such a creative message of hope and transition. Super cute read with my student, who could not stop obsessing over the pretty watercolour illustrations. 🙃
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Fabulous illustrations, love the deep greens and the whimsical, detailed drawings of lit win the city!
This picture book promotes the idea that we can all find a little bit of green (and I'm not talking about a smoothie!) no matter where we live.
Amy
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Very sweet, gentle story about a child who moves from the country to the city and is struggling to find and create her "quiet" places in her new environment. It is a sweet story about the power and importance of nature and how it feeds our souls. I loved the beautiful illustrations as well!
Jesse
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A touching story sweetly illustrated. Mae's experience of moving to a new place and trying to find hints of her old life in her new city is universal. I loved how she ended up making her own place that made her happy, but I realllllllly wanted to see inside Florette!
Cheriee Weichel
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I can not imagine not having a garden to muck about in, so I have much empathy for Mae. Not only does she have to move and leave her friends behind, she also has to leave her garden.
This picture book shows how she creates her own garden and makes new friends at her new home in the city.
Marianne
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
this was a delight.
Tasha
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
When Mae’s family moves to the city, they can’t bring their garden with them. All Mae has around her now are moving boxes and a brick courtyard. She fills the courtyard with chalk drawings of butterflies, grass, and more but it’s all washed away when it rains. She draws daisies, grass and apple trees on the boxes too, but they tip over and are moved away. Mae spots an open space out of her window and leads her mother there, but it’s all pebbles rather than green. On their way back, Mae discovers ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Walker, Anna Florette. PICTURE BOOK. Clarion Books (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt), 2018. $17. 9780544876835

After Mae's family moves from the country to the city, she desperately misses the plants she had been used to. In contrast, the city feels gray and lifeless. But then she discovers a small weed growing outside a jungle-like store named, simply, Florette. She takes the tiny plant home. Can Mae really make a garden of her own in the middle of this gigantic city?

This is a sweet story about apprec
Susan
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
A fantastic read-aloud for discussion about change and adjusting to change, Florette also lends itself to a basic study of plants, how to get ideas for stories, and time compression in writing.

Younger students will enjoy the watercolor illustrations and the attempts Mae made to bring her beloved plants and trees with her to the city. Older students can have a great discussion after a read-aloud. Can plants actually grow as fast as they seem to at Mae's apartment? How can plants take root in wat
Jana
Moving to a new home in a new city can hard, especially for youngsters. Mae’s family moves to a new home in the city, and she misses her friends, and the trees, and all of the green places to play. Young readers who have moved will definitely be able to relate to Mae and her feelings of loneliness. Kids might also be inspired to make the best of their own yards and neighborhoods when they see what becomes of a small sprout Mae finds and plants in a jar. The watercolor illustrations are awesome a ...more
Diane
Nov 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
What a lovely children's book about starting a garden!

The story follows sweet little Mae, who misses her garden when she and her family move into the city. Mae is lonely and misses the greenery, until one day she takes home a sprout and starts her own plant garden. The pictures are charming and inspiring. Recommended for little gardeners.

This book came to my attention thanks to The New York Times' annual list of the best illustrated children's books. I seek out that list every year and always d
Kalynda
This story reminded me a lot of The Gardener (a favorite of mine) where a country girl moves to a city home, greatly missing all the plants and flowers. Mae tries to think of some way to keep her love of plants alive in this new concrete environment, but with little luck...until, with the aide of some binoculars, she spies some space. Swinging in this green space, she spies and follows an "apple-tree bird" that takes her to the sprouting of her in this new city space.
Diane
When Mae and her family move to the big city, she wants to bring her garden with her, but her mother tells her that she can make a new garden. It doesn’t seem like it would be possible. “Instead of winding paths and leafy hiding spots, all Mae found was a cranky cat.” But once she gets out and has a chance to explore, she finds a beautiful forest within the city and brings a sprout back to start her garden.
Amanda
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2019
Moving is difficult for Mae. She left behind her garden and apple trees and gained pavement and skyscrapers. Her failed attempts to recreate a garden with sidewalk chalk and moving only deepen her sadness until she finds an apple-tree bird who guides her to Florette, a botanical heaven that inspires a successful idea for how to reimagine her garden. Vibrant yet soft water colors pull readers into Mae’s stark sadness as well as her joy for plants.
June
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young gardeners
Mae moves to the city and misses her garden. She tries drawing one but it washes away, she tries building one, but the tree keeps getting knocked over. Out the window she sees some swings and then follows a bird to Florette's, but it is closed. However, she sees a small green sprout out front.

Container garden story for the young.
Julie
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks, kidlit
A girl wants to take her garden with her when she moves to the city, where everything is crowded and gray. After trying sidewalk chalk and picnics to brighten things up, she and her mother take a walk that leads to a wonderfully green discovery that changes Mae and her new neighborhood.

It’s fun to watch for the birds and butterflies in the book.
The Library Lady
Dec 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
If I were reviewing this solely for the art it would get a 5, because it is gorgeous.
But something in the story didn't work for me, or for my assistant, who is herself a very talented artist, and I'll quote her on this. "I liked it, but I don't know why."

And I am not sure of the child appeal quotient on this. We will see.
Amy
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A beautifully illustrated picture book that tackles the issues of belonging when a family moves to a new home. I love the emphasis on gardens and open spaces. These are places that inspire creativity, learning and imagination. Such important things in children’s lives.
Ruth Ann
Mae's family relocates to the city. Mae is heartbroken to leave her garden behind. She searches for a garden in the city. When she finds one - that is not accessible to her - it gives her an idea. :)
Gorgeous watercolor illustrations.
Stephanie
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautiful story of a creative little girl who loves her garden and the nature that surrounds her! She has to move with her family and is forced to give up her garden! Now in a new city is her garden lost forever or is there still room for one?
Susie
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such wonderful use of watercolors! I love seeing the technique behind the boxes and buildings, yet it is the spreads with hundreds of leaves in various green hues that really amazed me! I cannot imagine the patience it takes to paint that so wonderfully. The story is somewhat predictable.
Mary
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A found sprig May discovers helps her and the people in her neighborhood create a beautiful green space for themselves. We never discover just what Florette is.
The theme of create growth in the midst of the concrete city reminds me of Sarah Stewart's The Gardener.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• They Say Blue
  • The Honeybee
  • Alma and How She Got Her Name
  • I Just Ate My Friend
Anna Walker writes and illustrates children’s books, including six with author Jane Godwin as well as her own Florette. The illustrator’s imagery is inspired by tiny details in the world around her. She lives in Melbourne, Australia.

News & Interviews