Start by marking “Time for Yesterday (Star Trek: The Yesterday Saga, #2)” as Want to Read:
Time for Yesterday (Star Trek: The Yesterday Saga, #2)

Time for Yesterday

(Star Trek: The Original Series #39)

Time in the galaxy has stopped running in its normal course. That can mean only one thing – the Guardian of Forever is malfunctioning. To save the universe, Starfleet Command reunites three of its most legendary figures – Admiral James T. Kirk, Spock of Vulcan, and Dr. Leonard McCoy – and sends them on a desperate mission to contact the Guardian, a journey that ultimately ...more
Published August 1st 1999 by Pocket Books (first published May 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Time for Yesterday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time for Yesterday

Start your review of Time for Yesterday (Star Trek: The Yesterday Saga, #2)
Jamie
Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Spock focused story that ties into the TOS episode All Our Yesterdays and the author's previously published story Yesterday's Son. ...more
Sheryl Tribble
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked this one better than "Yesterday's Son." Crispin fleshes out her original character, Zar, as well as the culture he is working within, which I liked.
Lois
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was okay. First, I barely have listened to a handful of the old Trek novels, let alone made it to like halfway or something, and this one is yet another with the Guardian of Forever. It's kind of annoying already. This one also had a prequel story to it, when Spock meets his son that he ended up having with Zarabeth from that TOS series episode, albeit taking place after the episode. This book doesn't need to have that one read first, but I think I would have liked it better if I did. So th ...more
Dean
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I was very surprised that I had not recorded this earlier.
Excellent book. The All my yesterday's series is definitely one of the all time me best StarTrek TOS mini series ever. Great characters that stay true to the original story line.
Oleta Blaylock
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think that this is one of my very favorite books in the Star Trek: TOS. This is a wonderful ending to the Yesterday Saga. I wish that there had been some way to have other adventures with Zar and Wynn. I always wished that he and Spock could have stayed together in the same time. I also wish that Zar had been able to meet Amanda and Sarek, As a warning there are some very sad parts to this story so tissues may be needed.

It has been 14.5 years since the crew of the Enterprise has seen Zar. Kirk
Andrew
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
Apparently set just after Star Trek (the motion picture) which is little surprise as this book Kind d of has a cinematic scope to it in its overall feel whereas some of these books feel more in line with the original series.
Anyhow not a bad book involving a modicum of time travel and a alternate world which would maybe have suited one of the Conan universe.
It's a story where the gatekeeper of time is losing its rationale and a telepath is needed...enter(or re-enter) Spock's illegitimate son....i
Kieran McAndrew
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The rate of entropy in the galaxy is increasing uncontrollably and Admiral Kirk soon discovers that something has gone drastically wrong at the planet codenamed Gateway. Only one person has made successful telepathic contact with the Guardian of Forever, Spock's son Zar.

Crispin's novel is a well paced adventure, which still manages to explore themes of family and duty.
Michelle
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic addition to the Star Trek universe. The character voices were spot on and the adventure felt as compelling as one of the TV episodes. I was excited to see Zar again and I enjoyed how his story played out.
Rob
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
The second book with Spock's Son and this is a great episode with a lot of father son bonding, and a little sword play, Armies, and conquest, oh and saving the entire universe, just in a days work. This was a Good Read.
Nick Serjeantson
i really enjoyed this book, wonderful. great to see what is going on with Spocks son and learn more about his world, and whenever time travel occurs, hey things are going well. Have been re-reading star trek books recently and this has been my fav do far.
Craig
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
Pretty good sequel. The first one put Zar in Spock's world and this one did the reverse. It was great to see their dynamic and how much their characters had grown since they last saw each other.
Benjamin Barnes
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I greatly enjoyed the Audiobook with Leonard Nimoy The Story was Exceptional
Stephen Morley
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ann Crispin rules

Every time I read work I enjoy it. What a tremendous talent she was! Live long and prosper Ann Crispin.
Zenei
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The best Star Trek book EVER! This book is even better than the first book (Yesterday's Son), which you really need to read in order to get the full effect of this sequel.
Ronald Wilcox
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fits in very nicely to the ST: TOS storyline. Mostly true to the original characters except for Spock (his portrayal dropped it from 5 to 4 stars for me). Good storyline though and engrossing.
Michael Bradley
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I would probably give a 4.5. It was good, definitely recommend reading to finally see what became of Spock's son.
Jena Fi
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved it !!!
Kosar7480
Apr 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Enjoyable follow up to Yesterday's Son. Starts and finishes strong. Parts of the middle read like a mix between a romance novel and a Conan the Barbarian fantasy.
Mike Crate
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek, scifi
I love this book, easily a five star novel and improves on every aspect of Anns first tale about Zar.
Throughout the galaxy stars are dying long before their time, the cause is traced back to Gateway the world where the Guardian of Forever exists. Thanks to their success with dealing with this time portal the crew of the Enterprise are sent to find out why time waves emanating from this world are tearing the fabric of space apart. On the long dead world they discover the portal is unresponsive bu
Matt
On it's own Time for Yesterday by A.C. Crispin is a decent, fun Star Trek novel whether one has read it's precursor novel Yesterday's Son. With that said, one's enjoyment of the novel and understanding of the interactions between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy (as well as the majority of the TOS Enterprise crew) with Zar can only come after having read Yesterday's Son. The book contains two plots that cross with one another thanks to time travel, but it's the initial one of the malfunctioning Guardian o ...more
Sean Randall
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found myself enjoying this book, as much for the viewpoint of the characters, clearly forwarded from their five year mission, as anything else. Solidly written with the predictable, comforting Trek patina of the ocket books of the era, this was a solidly readable and memorable work.
Mikael Kuoppala
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Six years after her literary debut with “Yesterday’s Son” A.C. Crispin returned to the Star Trek universe with an ambitious sequel to her firstborn as well as the classic Trek episodes “City on the Edge of Forever” and “All Our Yesterdays.”

“Time for Yesterday” shows a more mature and talented Crispin, one whose prose has gained depth and nuance. Her language is richer than before, her plot more complex. There are some obvious weak points here as well, especially concerning the structure of the p
Michael T Bradley
Jan 06, 2016 rated it did not like it
Yikes, this one got CRAZY abridged for the audio book. They trimmed it down to a measly 90 minutes, which is just not enough length to gain any sort of traction with the story. It's like, 'OMG here's all the setup if you haven't read the book this is a sequel to (I hadn't); OMG time waves are going to destroy all of reality; now we're back on the world from City on the Edge of Forever; now we're defeating omnipotent aliens (like you do); now we're in the past changing history, but it's OK?' THE ...more
Michael Hanscom
A strong sequel to Yesterday's Son, continuing the story of Zar in the distant past of Sarpeidion. Crispin creates an entertaining blend of Trek continuity and medieval adventure, and further fleshes out her exploration of the Guardian of Forever. The explanation and resolution of the Guardian's malfunctioning was the sole downside of the book, falling into yet another Kirk-talks-all-powerful-beings-into-behaving trap, but as this is a relatively minor portion of the story, it's not an unforgiva ...more
Jose
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
It was a nice followup to the previous 'son of Spock' book.
In the beginning i had some difficulties adjusting to the characters, they didn't seem believable but after a few chapters I (or the author) became more comfortable.
Its a big TOS-like story with god-like entities and end of the universe scenarios, but also a story of war and love and time travel.
All in all, action and characterization packed into a nice story!
The ebook was badly edited, many errors and formatting that managed to affect
Rebecca
God this book is TERRIBLY written. At first it was fun and reminiscent of a star trek episode, with bad dialogue and cheesy sound effects, but Zar's hijacking fantasy tropes medieval marriage-cum-battle? Not so forgivable. Still... read by James Doohan and Leonard Nimoy! I may need more Star-Trek-abridged-single-cassettes scavenged from the clearance section.
Grace
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's been years since I've read this book. I loved the whole Spock having emotions, has sex with a non-Vulcan (shock!), and has an illegitimate child of which he was not aware. This is more of the story of his son Zar, than of the original Star Trek trio. However, I enjoyed the follow-up of Zar's story from Yesterday's Son. I love emotional Spock!
Gina
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sequel to "Yesterday's Son" and a good follow-up to what happened to Zar and the life he went back to. The Guardian of Forever is sending out waves of time displacement, causing havoc in the galaxy, and some of the best telepaths can’t reach or communicate with it. Time to reach back in history and find Zar and see what he can do. Good plot and characters.
Ulrich Krieghund
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
I did not enjoy this as much as the first novel. A few spoilers follow...

It seems that the crew did a great deal of just standing around in this one. I did not find the long mind meld with the Guardian all that compelling. Also, the ancient beings of immense power were so flighty that they made Trelane, the Squire of Gothos seem full of gravitas in comparison.
Anne
Aug 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Once I read Yesterday's Son, there was no way I couldn't read the sequel! This one was a wee bit more meaty than the first one and in general you could see the toll the passage of time had taken on all the main characters. So while it wasn't really as mindlessly fun, it certainly was a pleasant visit back with more mature and developed characters.

• Enterprise: The First Adventure
  • Spock's World
  • Final Frontier
  • Strangers from the Sky
  • The Lost Years (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #1)
  • Federation
  • Probe
  • Best Destiny (Star Trek)
  • Prime Directive (Star Trek: Worlds in Collision, #2)
  • Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Star Trek: The Original Series #33; Movie Novelization #4)
  • Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #6)
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #5)
  • Republic (Star Trek: My Brother's Keeper, #1)
  • The Ashes of Eden (Star Trek: Odyssey, #1)
  • The Way To The Stars
  • The Last Roundup
  • Objective: Bajor (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #15)
Ann Carol Crispin (1950-2013) was an American science fiction writer, the author of over twenty published novels. She wrote professionally since 1983. She wrote several Star Trek and Star Wars novels, and created her own original science fiction series called Starbridge.

Crispin also served as Eastern Regional Director, and then Vice President, of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America.

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 113 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek: The Original Series #1; Movie Novelization #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit (Star Trek: The Original Series #3)
  • The Covenant of the Crown (Star Trek: The Original Series #4)
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire
  • Triangle (Star Trek: The Original Series #9)
  • Web of the Romulans (Star Trek: The Original Series #10)

News & Interviews

“Remember that on any world the wind eventually wears away the stone, because the stone can only crumble; the wind can change.” 33 likes