Start by marking “Хотел Босфор (Kati Hirschel, #1)” as Want to Read:
Хотел Босфор (Kati Hirschel, #1)

Хотел Босфор

(Kati Hirschel #1)

Хотел БОСФОР е първият роман от детективската поредица за Кати Хиршел берлинчанка, собственичка на книжарница за криминална литература в Истанбул, завладяна от мистерията на детективските сюжети.

Убийството на немски режисьор, пристигнал с екипа си за заснемането на копродукция в Истанбул, и подозренията върху актрисата Петра Фогел приятелка на Кати Хиршел от
Published December 9th 2016 by Колибри (first published November 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Хотел Босфор, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Хотел Босфор

Start your review of Хотел Босфор (Kati Hirschel, #1)
Jibran
Jul 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jibran by: women-in-translation month '16
Shelves: fiction, turkish
This novel has been such a surprise. Its a pleasantly strange blend of legitimate murder mystery that reads like a parody of the detective novel without trying to be goofy; and its delightful use of the self-preoccupied chick-lit tone works well to excuse any silliness on the part of our amateur detective, Kati Hirschel, a Turkish born girl of German origins, whose taste for tragedy puts her into the middle of action.

Here we have a reversal of the conventional east-to-west migration with the
Nancy Oakes
First in a series of mystery novels to feature Kati Hirschel, Hotel Bosphorus is set in the city of Istanbul and features an unlikely main character -- a 40ish owner of a crime fiction bookstore. Kati was born in Istanbul, but her parents took her to Germany when she was only a small child. Around the age of 30, Kati returned to Istanbul, where she's lived ever since. Istanbul, a city of some ten million people, "the size of a nation," is a city Kati loves and knows well.

Some time after Kati
Ingrid Moisil
Feb 22, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, too-bad-to-read
This book is so badly written that I abandoned reading it.
Barbara Heckendorn
Kati Hirschel, a German-Turkish thriller bookseller, loves to solve a real criminal case rather than standing in her bookstore all day long. Since she just right that an old school friend from Germany, whom has become an actress, comes to Istabul to make a film. The fact that the German director was murdered in the hotel the first night is a stroke of luck for Kati, so she is involved in the investigation from the beginning, thanks to her friend, and she learns everything first-hand from the ...more
Tony
As if in response to Jakob Arjouni's old Kemal Kayankaya series featuring a German-born Turkish private detective in Germany, this first in a projected trilogy features a Turkish-born German amateur detective in Turkey. Unfortunately, unlike that series, this Istanbul-set debut (which was originally published in 2001) relies far too heavily on its setting at the expense of telling an good story. The protagonist, Kati Hirschel is a 30-something German Jew who spent her early childhood in the city ...more
Bev
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I chose this murder mystery because of its setting -- Istanbul -- to help build my anticipation of our visit there in a few months. While the plot was okay, I don't feel that I learned much about Turkey or life in its major city. This book has been translated in eight languages, but I didn't think the English version was memorable. Definitely two stars from me.
Peter
Sep 07, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Life is too short for bad books... Haven't finished it.
Hotel Bosphorus was a very differently paced murder mysteries than others I've read - more relaxed and laid back with the focus more on the protagonist and her surroundings than developments in the mystery. New information and "leads" came slowly, sometimes as a result of investigating and sometimes unexpectedly as part of some other conversation or event. Reading it in English, one can definitely tell that it is translated, but it's fairly easy to pick up the linguistic rhythm and certainly ...more
Matt
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite ways to experience another time or place is through murder mysteries, because a good mystery novel depends so much on the rhythms of life. Its hard to establish what clues and behaviors stand out as unusual without showing what the usual is like.

The mystery itself is not complicated in a mystery novel sort of way, but instead provides a motive and central thread to drive the narrative in all kinds of interesting ways.

I loved witnessing life in Istanbul through Kati Herschels
George
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I started reading the book and couldnt get past the first three chapters. I kept comparing it to the Barbara Nadell novels with Inspector Inman.
I would recommend her novels as she posts a list of characters in the front of the book, some books have the Turkish words defined in the back but the most important is that her books are say to read.
This book had a hard to read style and thats why I gave up.
Lis
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
When I started this book it didn't grab me -- seemed too fluffy. But the protagonist, Kati Hirschel (a German living in Istanbul for 13 years, owns a bookstore specializing in crime fiction) grew on me. And the mystery turns out to be a serious one, though told in a light manner. (Kati sets out to solve it, but she's not Miss Marple). The set of characters is amusing and sympathetic.
Originally written in Turkish and translated.
Marie
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spritely first person narration helped this one get three stars. Held my interest sporadically. Cute, perky, witty. Our bookstore owner/crimefighter was more enthusiastic about the case than was I.
Jack Laschenski
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting murder mystery from the point of view of a woman who "undresses men in her mind all the time".

And it is all about Istanbul and Turkey and their customs,

Good read!
Hessa
Predictable , unorganized and jumbled.....
Carol
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amusing book of a German living in Turkey and becoming involved in a mystery. Lots of cultural commentary and engaging characters made this a fun read! (Translation)
Nurettin Ayvali
Not a really crime novel,
But cultural traits depicted beautifully.
Carol
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Expat German woman owns mystery bookstore in Istanbul
Book Worm
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first full audio book experience and i really liked it very much.
Mya R
Read as part of a challenge to read a mystery set in every country in the world. It was a good peek at Istanbul, Turkey. But the translation is rough, and the mystery is plotted almost as a distraction from the shallow and inconsistent thoughts of the protagonist.
Rogue Reader
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-turkey
I picked up this title almost by accident up at Powell's this year. I was all finished walking the stacks, shelf by shelf, book by book - and couldn't carry any more books. Powell's marks its mystery and crime fiction shelves with flags to note international settings, and on my final walkthrough, I just looked at the flags. I love the practice, and I've found a couple of new authors this way. Esmahan Aykol's Hotel Bosphorus, published by Bitter Lemon Press, is one of them.

Yes, Kati Hirschel is a
Cathy Cole
First Line: I keep driving around, but there's nowhere to park near the shop.

Parking in Istanbul can be a problem, and since Kati Hirschel is usually running a bit late to open her business-- the only mystery bookshop in town-- she's just going to have to park and run. Having recently lost her part-time employee, Kati does need to hire someone else, but she's also anticipating meeting Petra, an old school friend she hasn't seen for years. Kati is a German ex-pat who's fallen in love with
Lucinda
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esmahan Aykol
Hotel Bosphorus (Bitter Lemon 2011) introduces Kati Hirschel, the 30-something German owner of the only crime bookshop in Istanbul, Turkey. Kati spent the first seven and last 13 years of her life in Istanbul, is almost accepted as a native, and cant imagine living anywhere else. She has her groceries delivered to her apartment via a basket lowered from the window, and isnt ready to face the day before three or four cups of Turkish coffee leisurely consumed on the balcony. When her
Brian Williams
This is a murder mystery story set in modern day Istanbul. The German director of a movie to be filmed there is killed - a live electric hair dryer is dropped into his bathtub. An expat friend of the movie's star decides to look into the death on behalf of her friend. She becomes the narrator for the story -- it's written as a narrative. She thinks she's qualified to investigate because she owns Istanbul's only crime fiction bookstore. There's lots of potential here for a good story. ...more
Timeline
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am not sure if it is the translation, but the writing is not at all wonderful; perhaps better suited as a young adult fiction for 10-16 year olds. The first chapter - supposedly being the most pivotal - was poorly written and seemed incredibly unrealistic [Mick Jagger?]. There are also moments within the book that seemed wrong; for instance, when Kati finds out that a murder took place and waits all day at the hotel and nearby cafe for Petra, only to return back to the book store with two ...more
Erin
Jul 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is the first in a series of novels featuring Kati, a German living in Istanbul. She owns the city's only mystery bookshop and when her acquaintance/friend/movie star comes to town to film a movie and the movie's director is murdered, Kati can't resist the chance to try to find out who did it. Now she can finally put into practice all the theoretical knowledge she's gained from reading mystery novels! This is a translation into British English and seemed a little awkward and stilted at ...more
Elizabeth
Nov 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, turkey
I enjoyed this mystery for a variety of reasons, mostly the breezy style, the setting and the cultural exposition. The depiction of both the Turkish and the German police as either incompetent, corrupt or uncaring bothered me because it was unrealistic as was the way the main protagonist Kati has of making a living. She has the only crime book bookstore in Istambul that is run in such a haphazard fashion it is amazing it stays open, but it seems her life is haphazard as well. Somehow the book ...more
Linda
A debut mystery novel from a young Turkish woman set in Istanbul. A German film director is found murdered at the Hotel Bosphorus. Katie Hirschel is a foreigner who was born in Istanbul of German parentage and has lived both in Germany and Turkey. She is the owner of the only crime mystery bookstore, who decides to start her own investigation. The city, culture, traditions of Istanbul play a prominent part in this mystery. I am looking forward to more books from this author.
Diane S ☔
Would give this 3.5 stars. I did enjoy learning about the culture and scenery of Istanbul, also liked the main character. She rubs a bookstore that sells thrillers and mysteries, although there is not all that much about the bookstore. I don't know if it was the translation or what, but there is some repetition and in parts the dialogue sounds stilted. Will read the next one published here because it did hold my interest.
Hadi
Dec 21, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay for a first novel, although Kati is not particularly endearing being rather negative and self absorbed. Also although she's 43 she seems stupidly immature. The plot rambled about and the solving of the murder came a bit out of the blue in what was essentially a post script. Liked the turkish setting and for that reason might read another one.

Sage Streck
This is the first Turkish mystery that I've read, and I did find the style of writing, as well as the cultural commentary--particularly the descriptions of German indiosyncrasies, to be very intriguing. However, I didn't think the actual mystery was that interesting. It was difficult to emotionally connect with the story or the characters.
La Stamberga dei ...: Hotel Bosforo di Esmahan Aykol 1 5 Mar 06, 2013 06:26AM

• Short Treatise on the Joys of Morphinism
  • الوباء
  • دواء يقتل
  • غرفة 304: كيف اختبأت من أبي العزيز 35 عاماً
  • The Kiss Murder (Hop-Çiki-Yaya #1)
  • Mio fratello rincorre i dinosauri
  • تسع عشرة امرأة - سوريّات يروين
  • Vous n'aurez pas ma haine
  • هيلين كيلر - شعاع من النور وسط الظلام
  • قرين الظلام  ( كليد تيرة )
  • Ah l'amore l'amore
  • Dodici rose a Settembre
  • L'amore ai tempi del Covid-19
  • Julia n. 253: L'ombra della vendetta
Esmahan Aykol began her writing career as a journalist. Today she is a fiction writer, best known for her "Kati Hirschel" mystery novels.
Aykol's fiction touches upon stereotypes of Turks and Europeans (eg. the character of Kati Hirschel is a reverse of the norm: a German immigrant in Turkey).
Aykol divides her time between Istanbul and Berlin.

Kati Hirschel (4 books)
  • Appartamento a Istanbul
  • Divorce Turkish Style
  • Tango İstanbul

News & Interviews

“Dipendesse da me, le espadrilles – tutte, non solo quelle bordeaux – sarebbero vietate per legge.” 1 likes
“الندم لا يفيد، والقلوب المنفطرة لا تتعافى ببعض الكلمات العذبة” 0 likes