Start by marking “Almost Adulting: All You Need to Know to Get It Together (Sort Of)” as Want to Read:
Almost Adulting: All You Need to Know to Get It Together (Sort Of)

Almost Adulting: All You Need to Know to Get It Together (Sort Of)

For fans of Grace Helbig and Alexa Chung comes a fresh, hilarious guide to growing up your way from social media influencer and lifestyle vlogger Arden Rose.

In Almost Adulting — perfect for budding adults, failing adults, and eaters of microwave mug brownies — Arden tells you how to survive your future adulthood. Topics include:

-Making internet friends who are cool and not
Published March 28th 2017 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Almost Adulting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Almost Adulting

Start your review of Almost Adulting: All You Need to Know to Get It Together (Sort Of)
Whitney Atkinson
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
This reads less like “Here’s how to adult” than “Here’s how I adult!” That doesn’t surprise me, because most books i’ve read that come from YouTubers always have this air of self-importance (a harsh word, but I don’t know an alternative). I really wish this book would have been sold as a memoir or something other than a how-to guide, because although I love Arden’s message about sex and body positivity, as well as other things mentioned in this book, it was all very standard and not impressi ...more
Nat
Mar 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, essays
“We’re tough as shit and we’re going to make it.”

In Almost Adulting — perfect for budding adults, failing adults, and eaters of microwave mug brownies — Arden Rose tells you how to survive your future adulthood. Topics include:

• The importance of being your own best friend in life. And treating yourself with kindness.
• Dealing with trichotillomania and discussing mental health issues.
• Modern romance and her two-year relationship with Will Darbyshire, who's book, This Modern Love, I coincidenta
Kim Jungshe
Mar 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
Received it this morning as a gift and finished during a long train ride. Staring out the window would have been more entertaining. Is it a good read? No. Did I learn anything substantial? Absolutely not. I'm not sure if this book was supposed to be informative or entertaining, maybe an attempt at both.. Either way, I don't know what I was expecting out of a book written by a Youtuber in her early twenties sans real job. There are plenty of real self-help type books out there written by professi ...more
Alice (Married To Books)
I actually finished listening to the audiobook of this a few days ago, but needed a way before I could sit down and type my full thoughts on it. I recently took out a subscription to the Scribd app and this was my first audiobook I chose off of the app! Needless to say, I have zero regrets about picking this one. Arden is the narrator for her own book and that for me was the right choice. Almost Adulting talks about Arden's life experiences and lots of relatable topics such as school, relationsh ...more
alice (arctic books)
2.5 stars.

As I'm turning 18 in a less than a month, I thought this book would be perfect for my transition into an Official Adult. To be honest, I didn't know who Arden Rose was before I picked up this book but I liked the cover and the synopsis. Upon reading it, I can sum up my feelings towards this book with "ehhhhh."

What I liked:
- The little pictures! I liked the cute graphics, and I felt like it really added a bit of character to the book, you know? They're actually really adorable.
- The s
Steve Buka
Feb 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
A poorly written ghost-written book from yet another YouTuber. This review is not because she is a rude person either.
kaysmagiclibrary 💫
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
3.5/4.0 STARS
I'm too tired to write a review but this book was adorable. I know a lot of people had problems with it because the "advice" was generic and there were a lot of personal stories but...isn't that the point? I listened to it on audiobook which I think helped. Made the whole thing more relatable and funny.
Jess
Sep 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
I honestly don't understand what the point of this book actually is.
None of the 'advice' was constructive and it just seemed really messy and repetitive to me. It might have been more interesting for those who watch the author's videos as it was more of a very short and light autobiography rather than advice on becoming an adult.
I didn't buy this with the hope of learning anything from it really, but I can't say I found it at all entertaining either. Sorry, this one wasn't for me.
nushu mauroof
Dec 13, 2016 marked it as to-read
BEYOND EXCITED and no seriously I need this
Tan Markovic
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reviews can be found on my blog!: www.booknerdtan.wordpress.com

Listened to via Scribd!

Finally, a YouTuber I haven't previously watched or even heard of.
This was a quick and really funny read. I can see why people compare her to Grace Helbig; she has that similar goofy, ball of anxiety type of humour.

Coming into this autobiography without knowing anything about Arden Rose, I definitely left the book loving her and wanting to know more about her so I quickly went to watch some of her videos.

THIS G
Alison
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 STARS
Nothing mind blowingly new as someone who is also almost adulting, but very relatable and kind of funny. Great quick read.
˗ˏˋ n o v i  ˎˊ˗
First of all where can I get myself a relationship like Arden and Will's ?
This was a quick and fun read, the way Arden has written this was very witty and enjoyable to read.
But this book did disappoint me a bit, the stories were fun and some very relatable but it's not that much of an advice book at all and I did hope for that !
Kristina
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Easy, fun and enjoyable :)

I was surprised that I liked so much a book written by a YouTuber, who I haven't even watched. So you can freely read and enjoy it despite not following Arden on any social medias.
Michelle
Apr 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The book reads somewhat like a memoir but with some very valid insight and guidance to adulthood. I like the writer's quirky personality that really shined through in the writing style.

I really liked how she addressed society and body image and the concept of what is "beautiful".

"By setting a physical standard based on one particular form, you disqualify entire gene pools, races, and cultures from feeling celebrated. It's not fair that for centuries the 1 percent got to determine what defin
Nikita Mittu
I REFUSE TO RATE THIS BOOK. Will review it soon.

Originally posted on The Common Shelf

"No one in the history of mankind has ever been exactly identical to me. That is an incredible and humble idea. I am the only me that will ever exist, and regardless of how insecure I can feel at times, I'm going to do a damn good job at me-ing."

Almost Adulting is a book for all those 20 something year olds who are still figuring out their way in the adult life. It is no guide to entering adulthood, nor i
Nelson Jarvis
Mar 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
Every month I am given advanced readers copies or unproofed copies of books and this happened to be one of them along with a Charleston Heston biography. I had never heard of Arden until I got my hands on this book from my boss.

The book reminded me of like an adult version of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. I can't say I could relate to it as a lot of the advice seemed unrealistically movie themed or rather fantasy, but overall it was okay.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for practical advi
Iveth Martínez
What a big dissapointment. I mean, I found this book in a reading app: I was curiuos about the plot, the title, the cover. I was aware that a famous YouTuber wrote it, but the book seem to be be a guide (describe by her own author, a how-to book). So I gave it a chance. And I deeply sorry.
The main reason I am mad with this book is because its treacherous advertising: I was expecting to see some glimpse to her own life or channel, but this is mainly a memoir. The tips she gave mainly are too basi
Daniella
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Idk why this book is getting so much shit, Arden gives specific, insightful advice while other YouTube "self help" books are too fluffy and flighty. ...more
Judith
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: on-my-shelf, 2017
This was just funny & cute & quirky (& relatable) // 3,5 stars
maité
Sep 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
⭐️⭐️⭐️ 3 / 5

i mean, if i don’t get a boyfriend like will, then i don’t want a boyfriend, period.
Katie
I am not the target demographic for this book, so maybe it's unfair for me to rate it so poorly. As a person just venturing into my 30s, 10 years into my career, with a house, a spouse & pets, I feel like I'm just starting to adult & still find adulting rather intimidating at times. So I thought this would be a fun & humorous book.

But I should've researched more before I started. This book was written by a 21-year-old YouTube star and was written for people just out of high school, in college, o
Fiona M
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have never watched Arden's videos and I knew nothing about her going into this book.

I would not describe this book as self help, but more semi biographical with general life advice thrown in. I really enjoyed hearing someone else talk about Trich and long distance relationships and I felt like I could connect with her. It felt like having a conversation with a friend as it was quite informal. The fact that I listened to this on audio and it was Arden who narrates the audiobook meant it made me
Mar 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
This was okay, I think I was expecting a little more? I love Arden and Will's relationship so I was excited to learn a little more about them and how they started dating. I think this should have been marketed more as a memoir though, like more about things Arden learned on her way to becoming an adult not a "know it all guide for adulting." ...more
Alysa Craigie
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"We're tough as shit and we're going to make it."

This book honestly made me feel like one heck of an adult. It also made me feel like a 15-year-old. But most importantly, it made me feel great about being both of those things. 💜
hanne amelia
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
For me, this was a three stars-read (meaning I liked it) until the Dad-chapter. After that I was just waiting for it to end, really.
Regina Hunter
May 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
Started out good, almost inspirational, then went downhill. Had high hopes for this one.
moon
Jun 01, 2017 rated it liked it
“we're tough as shit and we're going to make it” ...more
Kaitlyn
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Enjoyed my time reading this but it was nothing groundbreaking.
theresa
Feb 12, 2020 rated it liked it
easy and fun read ☺️
cutesyreader ツ
Aug 09, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mostly everything in this book you can find online. Just Google it. And I think some of her opinions might not suit some people especially that part where she said you can just leave the house as what it was when someone comes to visit. Meaning, if your house is a mess then just leave it like that when you have a guest. I think that is not a proper way to greet a guest, even though he/she is someone you are very close to. We need to make them feel welcome and comfortable.

Actual Rating:
1 star for
Goodreads Librari...: Cover Almost Adulting 2 15 Mar 01, 2018 05:25AM

• This Modern Love
  • Bloom: navigating life and style
  • The Happy Medium: Swap the Weight of Having It All for Having More with Less
  • Binge
  • A Work in Progress
  • The Little Book of Life Hacks: How to Make Your Life Happier, Healthier, and More Beautiful
  • Hoe overleeft Rosa in New York?
  • Note to Self
  • Unfiltered: No Shame, No Regrets, Just Me
  • Doing It!: Let's Talk About Sex
  • Girl Code: Gaming, Going Viral, and Getting It Done
  • Everything All at Once
  • My Life as Eva: The Struggle is Real
  • Midnight Monologues
  • Just One Day Collection (Just One Day, #1-2.5)
  • Portraits
  • The Secret Art of Being a Grown-Up: Tips, Tricks, and Perks No One Thought to Tell You
  • Kian and Jc: Don't Try This at Home!

News & Interviews

“The release and joy that come from luxury are only felt when you earned it.” 6 likes
“Realize that you can’t let the feelings of others make you live less.” 5 likes