Start by marking “The First to Know” as Want to Read:
The First to Know

The First to Know

Dana Fields's father never knew his parents. When Dana secretly does a DNA test for her dad, hoping to find him some distant relatives for his birthday, her entire world implodes. Instead of a few third cousins, Dana discovers a half brother her age whose very existence means her parents' happy marriage is a lie.

Dana's desire to know her half brother, Brandon, and the ext
Published November 7th 2017 by Harlequin Teen

To ask other readers questions about The First to Know, please sign up.
Kaitlyn There's definitely no sex and only a few minor swear words. It's a clean romance. ^^

Start your review of The First to Know
nick (the infinite limits of love)
Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to nick (the infinite limits of love) by: Rashika (is tired)

Now this book had the good kind of drama I enjoy in my stories! Rashika recommended this book to me and because I was feeling like a good YA contemporary, I decided to give it a shot. I have to say, it was a solid recommendation from her because I wound up liking this story!

What I liked the best about The First to Know was how it handled a very delicate and serious topic but the story as a whole managed to be hopeful in tone. I don't think I would have liked the story as much if I had not liked
Madison
Once again I am left utterly speechless by an Abigail Johnson novel. How does she do it!?!! Because The First To Know is the most incredible, agonising, rip-your-heart-out-and-then-sew-it-back-together, amazing book. Asdffdhngikaldnvj....I hope the publisher wasn't expecting a put-together, coherent review, because all they are going to get is swooning, sighs, exclamation marks and fan-girling. Because it really is just. that. good.

When Dana decides to surprise her father with a birthday present
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
4.5 STARS

When Dana wants to surprise her father, who grew up in foster care, by finding his biological relatives through DNA testing, she never expected to find Brandon, her same age half-brother. Brandon wants nothing to do with Dana or her sister or their father. And Dana’s mother has no idea. She doesn’t want to break up their family by revealing the truth.

Abigail Johnson’s sophomore effort is filled with drama and heart. Dana’s a beautifully flawed character. Crushed under her softball coach
Lili  Marcus
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a new author for me so I didn't really know what to expect. I just thought upon reading the synopsis that the plot is interesting.

I wasn't disappointed.

A story of a young girl who's trying to prove herself to her father, that pushes her to plan this ridiculous gift for his birthday. And that gift results to whole new problems Dana and her family have to face. Expectedly, there's so much drama in this story that I really welcomed with open heart.
The feeels...
Usually there are parts in dr
Ari
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mixed
The romance could have used a couple more moments before the big reveal, but I still enjoyed the bittersweet story and the family dynamics (considering the situation). When the reader keeps rooting for the characters after turning the last page, it means the story did its magic :)

Such a lovely book, I’ll keep an eye on this author as so far I’ve been enjoying her stories.
Rashika (is tired)
Abigail Johnson is a new-to-me author so I had no idea what to expect but The First to Know blew me away. It’s a heartfelt family drama and totally worth it.

Dana Fields just wants to do something nice for her dad for his birthday. What starts off as a heartwarming gesture soon turns into Dana’s worst nightmare. In her search for her father’s family, Dana discovers that she has a half-brother her age that no one knew about.

When she confronts her half-brother, he wants nothing to do with her
Samantha (WLABB)
Rating: 4.5 Stars

This was one of my Can't-Wait Wednesday picks, so I had pretty high hopes for this book. I am happy to report it did not disappoint me. What would you do if you were the first to know something that could destroy your family? This is the question Dana struggled with in this book, and I couldn't stop flipping the pages as I watched Dana build her house of cards.

•Pro: Many different types of families are explored. Single mom, single dad, foster kid, large family, extended families
Ashley Owens
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received an electronic copy of this title from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

To be honest I was on the fence about this one going into it. On the one hand, I absolutely devoured and loved Abigail Johnson's first book, If I Fix You. However I also was skeptical about the plot of this one based on the summary. It just seemed like it was going to be a bunch of forced and eye-roll worthy drama. And I will admit that it took a bit to get into this one. But right around 20% in I ended u
Christy
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I would like Abigail to write all the things. Talk about feels. She knows how to write families!
 Amelia
Nov 17, 2020 rated it liked it
After reading Even If I Fall I immediately looked for other books by this author because I fell in love with the characters and the way the author portrays emotions. Unfortunately, this book didn't do much for me. Although, this is an earlier work so I'm guessing she got better? Anyways, my expectations were far different than what I got.

I thought this book would be more about Dana and Brandon, or at least Brandon and their dad. Unfortunately, the most we get form Brandon is one scene at the beg
Claire
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a fairly good/ interesting book. It wasn't my favorite, just because of how cliche it was, but I really enjoyed the story and how it unfolded. The main character, Dana, spends the whole book hiding a secret from her family, which makes the book very suspenseful because you never know who's going to find out/ when. I like how the author kept the reader guessing up until the last page. Overall, it was a pretty good book.
The Clever Reader
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great YA Contemporary to add to my "Read" list. Abigail Johnson is becoming one of my favorite contemporary authors! I can't wait to read more from her!
Kayla (Kayla's Book Nook)
Human biology really interests me. I love learning about DNA, genetics and how people are the way they are. I also adore reading about family ties in contemporary novels. So, imagine my excitement when I found out that they were all meshed together in this book!

The First to Know definitely met my expectations for a good read. In spite of a few problems I had with it such as its whiny protagonist, I really enjoyed all of its other elements and I can see myself recommending it to other readers.

For
Kara Linaburg
May 14th 2020
Rereading because I need sunshine and love and forgiveness and beauty themes rn.
YA fiction in the contemporary genre?
Hard to please me.
And then I found Abigail Johnson.....
I adore her books and have read every one I can get my hands on. It's broken people with messy lives who find hope and love and I adore them. Dana is a jerk in the beginning and I disliked her terribly. She used Chase to get to her half brother, was a brat to her family and friends, and in general wasn't someon
Jenny Jo Weir
Wow. If there was any doubt whether I'm an Abigail Johnson fan, this book puts that doubt to rest. To be honest, this was the only book of hers I hadn't read, and that because I didn't think it sounded like something I would be interested in. But then I remembered how much I've enjoyed all her other books and decided to give this one a shot and I'm so glad I did!

I really felt her struggle and internal debate on whom to tell or not tell. I didn't like that she wasn't forthcoming with but understo
Amy
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A book with so much heart! THE FIRST TO KNOW is about family and secrets and betrayal and mostly about love. Beautifully told with an ending that gives you all the feels.
Laurie
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book and I loved it so much I'm having a hard time assembling my thoughts - because this was a pretty intense emotional roller-coaster ride of the very best kind - one that has deep things to say about giving the people you love second chances (I have never read a contemporary YA novel that managed to keep the emotional tension building like this until only a few pages before the incredibly satisfying ending). This author is also at the top of her game when it comes to heart ...more
Tori (Book Chick)
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it
This was one of those YA books where I read it all in one sitting and then when I finished I wasn't sure if I liked it or if it was just an easy read...
Jessica
Dec 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Nope.

This was depressing and predictable. Dana was a selfish, annoying little brat and the rest of her family wasn’t much better...neither was her best friend or that weird, mute guy Nick. Chase was ok, I guess, but I really didn’t care about any of those characters.
Julia Ostash
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was blessed to receive an arc of this book from Abigail, and let's just say it was amazing.

The story centers around a girl named Dana and how she wants to please her dad. She does a DNA test for him, so that he can find his family. When the results come back, Dana, finds out her dad might have a father or son. She immediately thinks it's her grandfather so she contacts him. Finding out the person is actually 18, Dana's life starts to crumble before her. Her dad had an affair.

Dana meets a guy
viktoria
tl;dr review: This concept excited me so much and it was executed so well. The romance totally won me over in this, which doesn't always happen, but you guys, those beautifully complicated family dynamics slayed me. I love Abigail Johnson so much for her awesome sister bff-ery portrayal, especially (view spoiler) ...more
Tabitha Kelly
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!! Part of me liked how the book ended, but at the same time I would've been okay with it going the way I thought it was heading. This book will rip your heart out and put it back together, but in that way where you can tell it's been broken.

Seriously, just read this book! It's freaking great!!!
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, read-2017
This was so touching *my heart*
Lisa
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, young-adult
I heard about this book from the chapter a day book mail, months ago.
Be careful what you wish for.

Dana thought getting a DNA test done for her dad, who grew up in foster homes, was a nice thing.
Little did she know that a huge can of worms would be opened big time. From finding out who the 50 percent match was, talking to them..............keeping it from her family, what a ride this book was.

We all want the fairy tale, find a missing family member, meet and hug and presto instant loving connec
Vega_girl
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"...That kind of love is more than a feeling or a word. That kind of love is an action, a promise, and it's not dependent on perfection or ideals. It's real and lasting and worth everything. It's worth fighting for. And we're fighters, yes?"

This was not at all what I was expecting it was so much better. The plot was heavy but it was delivered in such a sweet and fun way while still ripping my heart out along the way. I hope there is a follow up book on these guys lives becuase I am so in fo
Latoya Gordon
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I saw this book on my daughter dresser and decided that I would give it a try because she loves to write and she has great taste in books as well. Man let me tell you that this book held my attention the whole time I was reading it. I related so much with it. After reading it I found out that it was a teen book but I didn't care because it was so good that I would have never known.
Courtney
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: teens, netgalley
3.5 stars. This one tackles a tough situation. Dana wants more than anything to give her father family for his birthday. He never knew his birth parents, so he has nothing to fill in on his family tree. She wants him to have what he is missing, so she decides to submit a DNA test to a family history sight to find lost relatives. What she finds is a smack in the face. Instead of distant relatives, she finds a brother who just happens to be her age. That means her blissfully in love parents may be ...more
Holly ✨
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Full review to come on my blog!
McKenzi
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was such a good read! The plot had twists and turns that I didn’t even see coming but I really loved it. I loved getting to know Dana and Chase and the rest of the characters.
Cheyanne Young
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Abigail Johnson has secured her place on my list of top favorite contemporary authors with this book. It's everything you want in a good story. Heartfelt characters you can sink into and live their life as it unfolds on the page, handsome well-rounded guys that make your heart pound harder, realistic family drama that propels the story forward. I loved this book so much.

« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Moment of Truth (Love, Life, and the List, #3)
  • Four Days of You and Me
  • Break the Fall
  • Kissing Lessons
  • Rules We're Meant to Break
  • Breath Like Water
  • Defying Gravity (Finding Perfect, #2)
  • Echoes Between Us
  • The Library of Lost Things
  • What I Like About You
  • Better Than the Best Plan
Abigail Johnson was born in Pennsylvania. When she was twelve, her family traded in snowstorms for year-round summers and moved to Arizona. Abigail chronicled the entire cross-country road trip in a purple spiral-bound notebook that she still has, and has been writing ever since. She became a tetraplegic after breaking her neck in a car accident when she was seventeen, but hasn’t let that stop her ...more