Start by marking “Solo” as Want to Read:
Solo

Solo

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  8,600 ratings  ·  1,740 reviews
When the heart gets lost, let the music find you.

Blade never asked for a life of the rich and famous. In fact, he’d give anything not to be the son of Rutherford Morrison, a washed-up rock star and drug addict with delusions of a comeback. Or to no longer be part of a family known most for lost potential, failure, and tragedy. The one true light is his girlfriend, Chapel,
Published July 25th 2017 by Blink

To ask other readers questions about Solo, please sign up.
Emily Wallace I am not quite done with the book, but I am thinking it would be a good fit for 8th grade through high school. The main character has just graduated…moreI am not quite done with the book, but I am thinking it would be a good fit for 8th grade through high school. The main character has just graduated high school when the book begins. (less)
Dre McDermott I didnt think so. The author discribes her as amber-sun skinned and blue eyed.…moreI didnt think so. The author discribes her as amber-sun skinned and blue eyed. (less)

·  8,600 ratings  ·  1,740 reviews

Start your review of Solo
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I kind of have mixed feelings on this one. I loved the writing style and the tone of the story, but I wasn't a fan of the plot or the characters. Both elements fell flat for me. I did enjoy seeing how this story wrapped up, though it did end on a rather devastating note.
Sesana
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Nicely written, but. Blade is every bit as self-absorbed as his parents, and never quite seems to realize that, even though it sucks that his mother is dead and his father is an addict, he's also privileged in that he has enough money to have virtually unlimited options in life and, more importantly, a family who is as loving and supportive as they are damaged. There's also a bit of a believability problem when it comes to his family secret: his family is so damn rich and famous that it strains ...more
Kate ☀️ Olson
Thank you to the #kidlitexchange network for the review copy of this book - all opinions are my own.

SOLO is a rip-through-the-pages, can't-put-it-down poetic YA masterpiece. Told in text messages, song lyrics and conversations in verse, it tells the story of an alcoholic and addict rock star's son. Blade has been burned by his father time after time and is still actively mourning the death of his mother years before, when he receives life-changing news that sends him on a quest across the
My_Strange_Reading
#mystrangereading has made it's annual switch for the summer season. I will be posting reviews here but also back on my Bookstagram

#strangesummerreading No. 1 is Solo by Kwame Alexander This book--as all of Alexander's--is written completely in verse. I have come to really enjoy his writing style and very much enjoyed this book.

Blade is the son of a rockstar/drug addict who just wants to play his own music and find his own path. When a shocking family secret is revealed, Blade sets off on a
Jodi Meadows
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. It was so beautiful and moving, and I'm really happy I listened to the audio. Not only is Kwame an excellent writer, he's an amazing reader as well.

I really fell into this story. There was so much passion and emotion behind the words: the way music heals, the force of family, and the magic of finding oneself. I can't wait to recommend this book to everyone.
Kim Clifton
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I think what gets me in Kwame Alexander's books is how relatable the characters are, even if their lives and interests are completely different from mine. This book, however, had characters who were so outlandish I found it hard to even want to care about them. I understand that the book is about Blade's self-discovery, but does he really need to travel halfway across the world to realize he's got a good thing at home? His sister calls him out on "first world problems" almost immediately, and ...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I read this book for part of a YA reading challenge for the month of September. I had heard good things about Kwame Alexander and how he makes poetry accessible to younger readers, and writes appealing male characters. For me, the book was a bit too convenient between the privilege of the main character to the over the top badness of his father and the strange events that unfold, that really can unfold because of the considerable wealth. The songs at the end, well... I didn't think they were ...more
WhatIReallyRead
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to WhatIReallyRead by: John Green's video
Solo by Kwame Alexander

This was my first contemporary novel in verse. And YA, no less. So, how did it go?

For me, Solo was this big on poetry:

and this big on drama:

WHAT I LIKED:

- The novel-in-verse format was unusual and intriguing in its own way. It had an interesting influence on the narrative.

- Music plays a big role in the book. I'm a music lover and a rock lover. Also, discovered some great songs that were mentioned in the book.

- It was light and easy to read. An enjoyable book, really.

- It made me curious about
Bridget
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Kwame Alexander has a thing, poem (or in this case lyric) packed books with particular appeal to teenage boys. That is such a wonderful thing! The boys at my school lap up his books, he writes sport so beautifully and he has such great things to say to his audience, thing like, you can be great even if you are not the greatest at this one thing, it is ok to show weakness, you don't have to be That Guy all the time - you can be you and it will be fine.

This particular book is the story of a young
Amanda
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-hoopla
4.5 stars. This was fantastic. I highly recommend the audio (available on hoopla) read/sung by the author.
Amy Nicole
This book was all over the place, just like my feelings towards it.

I loved The Crossover, but this book seemed to be overly dramatic with the plot. I didn't connect with these characters much at all because they felt much more like caricatures instead of genuine people.

Positives & Negatives -
+ I love the way real songs are scattered throughout the book. I pulled them up and listened to them while reading and it made for a really interesting experience.
+ The idea that this is a music
Gerardo Delgadillo
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Phew. What a ride. I listened to the audiobook and, man, it's SO good. Highly recommended.
Lata
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this story of a young man dealing with his father’s addictions and other pressures, as well as lingering grief over his mother’s death years earlier. Blade’s family is famous and wealthy, thanks to his father’s music career, so Blade has a level of comfort and privilege in his life, giving him time and the means to travel to Ghana when a long held family secret comes to light. Blade is grieving and confused and angry when he arrives in a small town in Ghana, looking for answers. There, ...more
Patrick
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Prose. Poetic. Beautiful. A son. A father. Rock and Roll. Addiction. Africa. Finding home and family...
diannarhys
3.75/5 stars

Solo tells the story of seventeen-year-old Blade Morrison, the son of rock superstar Rutherford Morrison. He's kind of have a lot going on his hands, like trying to juggle sneaking with his girlfriend (her parents hate him) and keeping up life with his father and his many addictions. Paparazzi bombard his life one embarrassing news of his father after another, making their family a tabloid laughingstock. Blade can barely keep up, what with the turmoils of young love and family
Lorrea - WhatChaReadin'?
Blade Morrison has reached a pivotal point in his life. He's graduating from high school, about to turn eighteen and has his whole life in front of him But with a famous father who is always in the media and a girlfriend whose parents can't stand you, it's hard to find your place. When Blade discovers something about his past, it will change his future forever. Set on two continents, inspired by rock and roll, and written in poetic verse Solo is one of the best books I have read this year.

Thank
LeeTravelGoddess
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book! I’m going to send this to my nephew for sure!!! I thoroughly enjoyed the story and how love once lost can be found. I also loved that the young lad took a trip and it was one that he will always remember; travel is essential if you were to ask my opinion for all to experience, if even only once. This book is a great addition to any library and a ray of hope to all those who are lost in the world.

Best Quote: “why go on a journey when there is no destination.” My soul felt
Amanda - Cover2CoverMom
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, audiobooks
Feelings in a few thoughts: YA book in poetic verse the writing in parts of this book were absolutely stunning, but not as much in others - made the flow of the book feel messy I feel like this book would be appealing to teenage boys - which isn't always easy to do I enjoyed the second half of the book much more than the first - especially when Blade arrives in Ghana really enjoyed how rock music is such a big part of the book audiobook well done - made it feel more authentic ...more
Miss Nuding C8B
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you're looking to learn how to effectively narrate through verse, Kwame Alexander is your man. His writing style is like no other and you can hear his voice through the words on the page.

This wasn't my favorite story line, and I found myself getting frustrated with Blade's dramatic character quite often throughout the book. Kwame's writing is what pushed the story along, though.
Krista Regester
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kwame Alexander sure does have a way with words. This book was much different then what I thought it would be, and I am SO glad that I read it.

Blade is not exactly the average teenager but his experiences definitely have a familiar tone. As he matures in age and mind he discovers that not everything revolves around him and his small world.
Kristy K
4.5 Stars

Kwame Alexander can write a novel in verse better than anyone. He has those gut-punching moments interspersed with comedy and his characters are incredibly relatable.
Shorouk Abd Elhamed
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I couldn't give this book less than 4 stars . It was beautiful. Although it isn't my type of books but the writing style was so good. I had to keep reading.

I liked Blade and storm. I liked the feeling of family here. All the problems here was real for many people.I liked how the author represented each of them smoothly.
Robert was a wonderful character. I liked him a lot . All the wisdom in this book was so good.Joy's character was unique.I think I need to read about persons like her.

Blade
Maimona masarwi
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Honestly, in the end, I got really confused!
The book is unquestionably is written nicely.
"Blade" the main character, his emotions and his thoughts were portrayed too real, that anyone will get from where he is coming, yet the book doesn't really have a lot of stressful points. There were some turning points here and there, except I was curious if the last pages will have a more stressful event, but that was not the case!
In the end, there were tears and sad emotions, however, that's not what I
Trevor
Cassandra {semi-hiatus}
"Life is a mountain, Youngblood. Nobody said the climb was gonna be easy.

You gotta choose your route.

Get your gear.

Breathe.

Clear your mind.

And enjoy the journey."

This was inspiring and feel good. Like all good books about music, add in a dash of finding yourself, and in this case, exploring the world around us. This was a snappy read (especially when you listen to the four hour long audiobook) so my review will probably reflect that.

I have never read anything by Kwame Alexander before. This
Joyce Yattoni
If you like rock and roll this book is for you. A book in verse by one of my favorite authors, Kwame Alexander. Blade's story is one about heartache, disappointment, love. The author uses a rock and roll soundtrack to compare what Blade is going through in his life. An 18 year old who has a drunk for a father, lost his Mom then finds out he is really adopted and gets played by the "love" of his life. I enjoyed Blade's character. He is a very talented musician and song writer, tops in his class, ...more
Susie
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017-reads
I wanted to love this, like I loved The Crossover by this same author. Unfortunately, it just didn't meet my expectations.
temi ★
Apr 12, 2019 marked it as dnf
lmao nvm. it’s all poetry, which isn’t for me. good day.
Ashley Holstrom
Yes, yes, yes. I nearly missed my exit while I listened to this gorgeous book, read by the author.

Blade Morrison is sick of living in the shadow of his rockstar dad, who has a tendency to ruin the good things in Blade's life lately. At just the right (or wrong?) time, a family secret comes out, and Blade travels across the world on a mission to find his roots.

Solo is my first novel in verse, and oh me oh my, am I sold on this form.

From the Best Books We Read in August 2017 at Book Riot.
Rita Shaffer
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Listened to the audiobook and all I can say is WOW! Beautiful story, characters I connected to and meaningful message! Kwame reading is a definitely plus and at some points I couldn't tell where a new poem started.

Definitely heard some "lines that make me linger" - anxious to open the print version and look at them more closely!

This one is a little more mature that some of the other works by this author ...
Book Review on Figurative Language in Solo 1 2 Feb 22, 2019 03:00PM

• On the Come Up
  • On Two Feet and Wings
  • The Great War: Stories Inspired by Items from the First World War
  • Lu (Track, #4)
Kwame Alexander is a poet, educator, and New York Times Bestselling author of 21 books, including THE CROSSOVER, which received the 2015 John Newbery Medal for the Most Distinguished Contribution to American literature for Children, the Coretta Scott King Author Award Honor, The NCTE Charlotte Huck Honor, the Lee Bennett Hopkins Poetry Award, and the Passaic Poetry Prize. Kwame writes for children ...more
“There's a lot of love around you, but if you don't see it, it's not there.” 6 likes
“Look at the mirrors in your friends eyes. That's all anyone ever needs. Too see beauty and reflection in others. Those are real mirrors.” 3 likes