Start by marking “So Much I Want to Tell You: Letters to My Little Sister” as Want to Read:
So Much I Want to Tell You: Letters to My Little Sister

So Much I Want to Tell You: Letters to My Little Sister

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  1,662 Ratings  ·  218 Reviews
From Internet sensation Anna Akana comes a candid and poignant collection of essays about love, loss, and chasing adulthood.

In 2007, Anna Akana lost her teen sister, Kristina, to suicide. In the months that followed, she realized that the one thing helping her process her grief and begin to heal was comedy. So she began making YouTube videos as a form of creative expressio
Published June 13th 2017 by Ballantine Books

TL
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I received this via Goodreads Giveaways in an exchange for an honest review. All my opinions are my own:).
----

Confession: I didn't know anything about Anna before winning and reading this. YouTube I don't really use that much (movie trailers, occasional interviews with my favorite actors, and watching Lizzie Bennet Diaries mostly ) and I've never hears of most of the major YouTubers.. aside from when I see reviews of said persons' books on my feed occasionally.

The description of the book caught
Joy
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had not heard of Anna Akana, nor had I watched any of her YouTube videos. I happened to see her memoir at the library and I was interested because she had lost her sister to suicide and I'm interested in mental health issues.

This is a very personal, no holds bared memoir and I found it interesting. Anna offers some good advice and life lessons. It's probably meant for a younger audience (I'm probably old enough to be Anna's mother!) but it's a worthwhile book. She doesn't spend a lot of the b
Rissa
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautifully written I love how Anna goes through her career in YouTube and an acting and how she dealt with her sisters death. It was refreshing to hear that everything that she went through and how she got herself where she is now.
Sadia
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I've read books by other YouTubers, - and regretted buying their books. But I love Anna, her content is different to most Youtubers, so naturally, I had to give her book a shot! Plus the whole premise with her younger sister being the inspiration behind it made me feel like it would be different. So I preordered the book and received it a week before it was due to actually come out.
So... was it different?
-Well, it wasn't... and it was...?

Anna's book follows the Youtuber suit of: I'll write out m
Book.Berries
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
This wasn't at all what I was expecting from the title. This is Anna's memoir and she talks about her career, friendships, boyfriends and how she learned to deal with money.
It's interesting and there's some good advice here for people who are starting on the film industry and things alike. But because the title is So Much "I Want to Tell You (letters to my little sister)" I went in thinking it would be things Anna would say to her sister if she had a chance to see her again.
And I doubt it would
Daniella
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 i just which she talked less about YouTube itself. Even as someone who's done YT it's kind of dry

(Listened to the audiobook read by the author)
Lily ☁️ {semi hiatus}
3 1/2 stars

“Don’t wait. Make your own opportunities. There’s no better time to start than today. (…) All the time you spend wondering how to do something could be spent actually doing it—and getting better at it.“

So Much I Want to Tell You: Letters to My Little Sister is a book that is chock-full of deliciously worded anecdotes, biographical content, and advice, dipped in unmistakenly Anna Akana-ish humor, and I enjoyed reading it immensely.
“Why do people say ‘grow some balls’? Balls are weak
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, memoir
I've been watching Anna on youtube for a while now so I was excited to read this! This book discusses sexism, binge eating, abusive relationships, suicide and more.

One part I found hilarious was when Anna mentions a pep talk she sometimes gives herself in the mirror- “I’m a straight white male"

One of my favourite sections was "Take Your Birth Control."You can listen to a shortened version that Anna made a video about here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVmEL...
Manon
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
First of all I want to say that Anna is my favorite youtuber out there. Every week, I look forward to her upcoming video. She is so genuine, and she always tries to tackle important matters while still being funny. So of course, I had to give her book a try.

That being said, I found the book itself kind of okayish. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. It is a quick and easy read, but I didn't really click on her writing. I always appreciate it when I watch her videos, but I think it isn't w
Sofi
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m really happy that I started off the new year reading this book. I’ve only seen a couple of Anna’s videos, but that’s definitely going to change after reading this. She talks about more serious topics, such as her sister’s suicide, relationships and racism in media. And she definitely gives really wonderful advice that I think people could find useful. If you’re looking for a book that is inspiring and honest, or simply want to know more about her life, then I definitely think you’ll enjoy th ...more
Elsa
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
The first time I encountered Anna Akana, I didn’t know she was a Youtuber, and I’m quite certain I didn’t even know what a Youtuber was at that time of my life. It was many years ago when I stumbled across a video called Please Don’t Kill Yourself on my Tumblr dashboard.
Nonetheless, I didn’t discover her Youtube channel until much later, when I was reminded of her and I instantly looked her up, remembering how touched I had been by her video. I devoured her videos in two or three days, feeling
Karen
like......a pretty weak 3 stars. I liked this I guess, but it was so much less than I was hoping for
Emma Regan
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
*3.5 stars*

It was extremely interesting reading about Anna's life after the death of her sister and the toxic relationships she's been in. Sad to read about Brad when they've broken up now 😢
Zannah
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Incredibly honest and vulnerable, in a confident and reassuring tone. Equal parts empowering and heartbreaking.
Victoria Alexandra
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've always liked watching Anna's videos. She's honest, funny, vulnerable and speaks up, to voice her opinions on different topics. I felt like her essays were more in-depth versions of her videos, and I enjoyed it. She's inspiring.
Lara
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: wishlist
I love Anna Akana and the content she creates on YouTube. Not sure how to feel about her book... some parts I feel like she was describing me and there were bits that I thoroughly enjoyed, but there were some parts I could just not relate to!
Angela
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nicky
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
My favourite youtuber book I have read so far.
Eefa
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.75 stars. I loved every second of this book and read it in one sitting. This hit home in a way I couldn't have prepared for. It was inspiring in all the ways I needed. And it was upsetting in ways that everyone needs to hear at some point in their lives. I'm not currently a subscriber, but I think I need to change that. I can't wait to see what Anna does next.
Lizzy Seitz
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 out of 5 stars

So well written and full of emotions. Heartbreakingly beautiful is the best way I can describe this book
Kristen Corradeno
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is everything Anna Akana is in videos, powerful, vulnerable, funny, but most important, real. Please read this book, you won't regret it.
DramaQueen
Sep 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
'I find it strange when people ask where ideas come from. As if Stephen King is going to point to a well in the ground and say, 'There. All my ideas come from there.'"

I love Anna's videos; they can make me smile even when I'm not in a happy mood and yet sometimes tackle deep and intense topics. I loved how she only briefly mentioned in her videos that she wrote a book (in stead of promoting the heck out of it) - and just this made me more interested. And I really liked it! It's more of a memoir
Denise
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, ebooks
I don't watch youtubers, so I'd never heard of Anna Akana before this book. After finishing this book, I watched a few of her videos, and found that she is exactly what I imagined from reading her book. That's what I liked about her book, the way she told her experiences and what she'd learned over the years in a very candid, open and genuine manner. She even tackled issues like suicide, depression and her past emotionally abusive relationships in a matter-of-fact way, designed not to evoke symp ...more
Yanne Albert
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I have been following Anna for some time for her humourous choice of words and her courage to speak about topics that otherwise are shunned. While the book is a collection of essays, it more feels like a self-help book. Some easy and not-so-easy do's and don'ts for improving your life. It is empowering and motivational - a book I will definitely read again and again.

I like that she chose a quote by Leonardo da Vinci as the preface of her book: "Our life is made by the death of others." Througho
Danielle
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've seen some of Akana's work on Youtube, but I didn't subscribe to her channel until now.

I really enjoyed this memoir - lots of short anecdotes/essays, all relating to Akana's career and personal life. The book begins and ends talking about her sister, who committed suicide, and why she believes in what she does and what she wants to do for other people. The book is advertised in parts as what she would tell her sister, but also what advice she would tell her audience in general.

Akana's voice
Sarah ♡
I personally haven't watched Anna Akana on youtube. I've heard of her name in passing and I think I remember watching my sister watch a video or two by her. But the premise of this book intrigued me so I picked it up and decided to give it a go. I definitely think this is catered towards a younger audience. Being twenty-five a lot of the advice she gives is a no-brainer to me. It's not a bad book but it really wasn't particularly insightful for someone at my age. There were a few things that I d ...more
I have read a lot of these social media icon memoirs. This one was okay, but I think maybe a bit short. It could have been me since I was in a very tired emotional mood from the day, but some of the chapters were one front and back page - the book itself is only 176 pages. I would have liked more to some of her thoughts, though for someone who makes two minute videos I can see how she's used to short and fast.
Not too bad, but not the best I've read. I'll definitely be keeping it because I do lo
mackenzie
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoirs
this took me out of my loooong reading slump.

also this book was very relatable. it was funny, sad, bitter, and every other emotion in between. it made me want to burst out the door and start living my best life.

you should read it.

***also for everyone giving it low ratings b/c it wasn't personal enough or the book wasn't in a letter format to her little sister, it says on the blurb that it is "poignant collection of essays". gosh darn it guys***
Theresa
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
I listened to this on audiobook as I got it for free from an Audible trial.
I liked that it was narrated by Anna herself but other than that it wasn't anything special. It definitely reflects her personality well, which I liked, and I guess it could be quite interesting to younger readers/listeners that could use some advice on life matters. To me, none of this was groundbreaking or particularly original. Still a fun little thing to listen to on the way to uni.
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-on-e-reader
I've been watching Anna's Youtube channel for a long time and I've had this book on my radar since it came out. I finally just started reading and I couldn't put it down. I loved the way it was written, the humor, the lessons. I feel like I learned a lot about her and even about myself. Glad I finally picked this up!
Anna Akana is an actress, comedian, and filmmaker most known for her online weekly show with 1.6 million subscribers. She’s been in the feature films Ant-Man and Hello, My Name Is Doris, and can be seen on Comedy Central’s Corporate. She lives in Los Angeles.
More about Anna Akana
“Remember that the world we can see is the one that really matters, and never lose sight of that.” 4 likes
“If you want to be the star, create the show. Don't wait. Make your own opportunities. There's no better time that to start today.” 0 likes