Start by marking “Power Play (Petaybee, #3)” as Want to Read:
Power Play (Petaybee, #3)

Power Play (Petaybee #3)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  3,825 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Petaybee was growing up. Day by Day, the sentient planet - like any child - was learning to recognize and understand the meaning of outside stimuli, to respond to those stimuli, to communicate its own needs and desires...even to use human speech.

Yanaba Maddock had appointed herself defender of her adopted planet, and she had even succeeded in proving its sentience to all t
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published March 31st 1996 by Del Rey (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Power Play, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Power Play

Grace
Jan 30, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm guessing this is where McCaffrey checked out of this series. The tone changes entirely - it's a marked difference, and not a good one. Suddenly there's a lot of "she caught her own unspoken pun and chuckled", and you read back thinking "what pun? Oh, that - why are we noting that?" There are a lot more jokey slang phrases as well, which were out of date when the book was published and so now just sound totally bizarre; I don't really believe that that lingo is still alive on a deep-space sta ...more
Michael
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 3rd book in the Petaybee series by Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough. The planet Petaybee was terraformed two hundreds years ago. It is still an arctic world so it was forcibly settled by Inuit peoples from old Earth. In this one Yanaba, Bunny and Diego travel to Gal 3 the largest space station in the galaxy. There they hope to finally gain independence for Petaybe and it's peoples but they are kidnapped by a notorious pirate and held for ransom. Things don't go as planned ...more
Cara Noyes
I enjoy how the planet Petaybee demonstrates sentience more clearly in this conclusion to the trilogy. The echoing and phosphorescence were clever communications. Some of the story got a hit to hokey, however, to get more stars in this rating.
Bobbie Makin
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great syfy story a must read
Marie
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice world building, good characters. The plot and writing were good. Solid series, but I don't love it.
Al
Feb 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
From Publishers Weekly

This final volume of the trilogy that began with Powers That Be opens with the marriage of Yanaba Maddock, administrator of the sentient planet Petaybee, to geneticist and selkie Sean Shongili. The pregnant Yana soon has to travel off-world to defend Petaybee's interests before a skeptical galaxy, leaving the planet open to devious exploitation by such predators as old enemy Torkel Fiske. The narrative shifts focus between the primitive but honest planet and the glitterin

Douglas Milewski
Power Play (1995) by Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough brings the Petaybee trilogy to a something of a conclusion. Resembling a wanna-be Northern Exposure more than a SF novel, the book attempts to capture the idiosyncrasies of small town arctic life, making it a rather fluffy read. (There's nothing wrong with fluff. Sometimes you just need some cotton candy.)

Make no mistake, this book does not repeat the disaster that was book #2, but instead achieves a lacklusterness in its own righ
Brian Schiebout
Power Play by Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough is the third book in the Petaybee series. The story fallows the events which occurred in Power Lines as the defeated enemies of Petaybee are not through with their scheming. The two main antagonists are once again Torkel Fisk and Mathew Luzon but they both deal with intermediaries rather than coming near the planet themselves. Torkel goes the more direct route by hiring the pirate Onidi Louchard to kidnap Yanaba Maddock and Marmion de Re ...more
Sanya Weathers
Wince. Much weaker than I remembered.

I know nothing of how these books came into existence, but having just reread the trilogy with more knowledge of publishing in general, I have to say it reads like the authors had a great idea that inflamed them and powered the first, very strong and dynamic novel... and then it was sold to the publisher as a trilogy.

See, the second book comes a bit out of left field and comes across as forced in multiple places, but generally works.

This third one, oof. All o
Alysha DeShaé
Mar 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
My full review is here on my personal website. I'll post my conclusion here, though:

4.0 out of 5.0 stars

Okay, maybe I'm losing my mind, but Yana and Sean's relationship seems to work a little better in the book, but they also go a little out-of-character. That's why it lost a whole point. There's no explanation for the change in their characters, it's just suddenly and subtly different.

The very worst thing about this book is the unexplained changes in the characters.

The very best thing about thi
Michelle
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
A necessary read to bring conclusion to the Petaybee series... But the book mostly took place on a space station (not the planet itself), and the political maneuvering was tedious. Part of the charm of the series is its characters' interaction with nature and the culture that's developed out on this isolated arctic landscape. In contrast, the scenes from the "civilized" space station felt like a boring rehash of countless other stories that take place in a futuristic space setting.

Only read this
Catsalive
Feb 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
An enjoyable conclusion to this trilogy. It takes some kidnapping & violence, but eventually Petaybee is recognised as a sentient planet & agrees that its medicinal plant resources may be used in recompense for the loss of mineral resources. Everyone understands their link to the plant - a symbiosis between humans, animals, plants & planet. Yana & Sean's romance becomes a fruitful union thanks to Petaybee's healing skills allowing Yana to reproduce.

I enjoyed the trilogy & loo
Barbi Faye (The Book Fae)
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy readers
Recommended to Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) by: me
Like a child, the sentient planet Petaybee is growing--learning to respond and communicate. Yanaba Maddock has appointed herself defender of her adopted planet, protecting it against outsiders who seek to plunder its resources. Then Yanaba is kidnapped and the price of freedom is Petaybee itself. The conclusion of the series; it was good to read the evolving relationship between her, and the planet. Like it was addressing environmental issues before it was a thing. Anne always writes such strong ...more
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I'm finally reading the conclusion to this trilogy. Yanaba is now kidnapped as a hostage? Seems to be a common ploy by Ms. McCaffrey's villains. They strong arm through violence and brutality only, then never seem to be able to think. She had dumb evil people, rarely smart ones. Fortunately, the planet has other ideas. Now we really get to see what Petaybee can do. It's kind of impressive and I wish I could go visit a planet like this.
Hilary
Feb 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Of the trilogy, this is the one I like least... but I still stayed up late to finish my most recent reread!

Moving the story on, this shows, in part, some of the political and practical difficulties that come with the acknowledgement of a sentient planet. As hordes of tourists start to arrive, the locals are somewhat overwhelmed. Some new friends are made, some loose ends tied up. Oh, and there are pirates. 'nuff said?
Kaylynn Johnsen
Jun 21, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, this is the last one I was willing to read. There were moral stories here I couldn't stomach. Anne McCaffrey and I have some things we vehemently disagree about. And this series is done for me.
Kim
Feb 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-to-read
Read the latest segment as Petaybee faces it's most difficult challenge yet...Tourists. The last segment is no less in enjoyment then the others. It's a good book given most of it's bases is on the fact that rumors fly and people follow them...with great stupidity.
Kris
May 18, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just. Ugh. After the first few pages I closed the file and deleted it. Friends don't let friends read books that make them angry, unless they are learning Important Things.

Fluff books like this just aren't worth the bother.
Fredrick Danysh
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
The senitent planet Petaybee tolerates only a few people and has driven off the large corporations intending to strip her resources. But now the companies start trying to overload the planet through guerrilla action and the hiring of pirates.
Theresa
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Power Play (Petaybee, #3)
McCaffrey, Anne
Yara has saved the planet, or atleast she thought she had until the troops landed on the planet. the story of survial and connection when the planet finds that it is alive and learns to respect the life of those who depend on her
Dave Nichols
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Suprisingly nieve in the way almost everything is handled.
Red Mcswiggan
This was a fun book to read with my pre-teen daughter
Sharon
I don't remember much about who Yana's kidnappera are. I think the animals of the planet play a large role in this installment.
Kendra
Another light easy re-read, and just as enjoyable as the first time around. Love that planet!
Serena
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, 20th-century
My Rating System:
Mary Johnson
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent story but the complex names (often starting with the same letter or sounding that way) made his a trilogy I wished I read rather than listened to....
Jon
Oct 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mccaffrey
Gonna miss these characters!
caela
Apr 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been rereading the series before reading the two new ones.
Christa
Jun 20, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quit-reading
I got annoyed with the characters & bored with the "bureaucracy vs natives" theme.
George
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book
Good story.
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The Ship Avenged
  • Cataract (Cat Scratch, #2)
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • Change of Command (The Serrano Legacy, #6)
  • The People of Pern
  • Sword and Sorceress VIII
  • Oathblood (Valdemar: Vows and Honor, #3)
  • The House of the Kzinti (Man-Kzin Wars)
  • Llana of Gathol/John Carter of Mars (Barsoom, #10-11)
  • In Paul Klee's Enchanted Garden
  • Beast Master's Circus (Beast Master / Hosteen Storm, #4)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High Scho
More about Anne McCaffrey...

Petaybee (3 books)
  • Powers That Be (Petaybee, #1)
  • Power Lines (Petaybee, #2)