Start by marking “Hero of Lesser Causes” as Want to Read:
Hero of Lesser Causes

Hero of Lesser Causes

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  182 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
World War II has just been won, and everything seems possible to young Keely Connor. She sees herself as a hero on a white charger, able to conquer the world, even though in reality her charger is Lola, the placid horse that lives in the field behind her house.

One fateful summer day her brother Patrick is stricken with polio. Here is an enemy Keely cannot conquer. With al
Published September 9th 2003 by Tundra Books (first published 1992)

Anidos
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a sucker for anything witty and this book is none of an exception. Full of sentences to quote, indeed. Not those pretty words but those honest, effortless reflexes came out from a middle-schooler.

I adore how the author developed her characters and the way the characters brought the story--so damn believable. I could say that I fell for her writing instead of her story. It's like, "I keep reading no matter what you write because I love the way you write and that's all that counts." Inspite o
Dana
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is set in the late 1940s. Keely Connor dreams of riding the horse who lives in the field behind her house. Patrick, her brother, is stricken with polio, is paralyzed and loses the will to live.

Keely tries her best to transfer her energy, health and zeal for life to her brother. A great young adult book about the hero in all of us.
Ameen
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
وقتی هشت سالم بود این کتابو داداشم بهم هدیه داد و صفحهی اولش یه حکایت از گلستان در مورد اینکه هنرمند اگر از دولت بیفتد غم ندارد که هنر در نفس خود دولت است، هرجا که رود قدر ببیند و در صدر نشیند. ...more
Jen
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Avery, thanks for this recommendation! I don't usually pick Historical Fiction, but this is A GREAT STORY!
Mina Dahmardeh
Oct 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
دوباره دارم میخونمش!دوباره دارم لذت میبرم همدم خوبیه برام سر کلاس باکتری و اندیشه. خط به خطش منو یاد اون روزا میندازه .اینم میبرم واسشون!
میخوام بشن قهرمان آرمان هاشون
Mei
Jun 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: novel
Buku ini menceritakan kedekatan dua saudara yang menyukai tantangan yang terkadang sangat sulit. Namun karena kesamaan tersebut keduanya sangat dekat walaupun terkadang mereka berbeda pendapat.

Masalah muncul ketika Patrick, sang kakak, mengalami sakit polio, menjadikan dia sosok anak laki-laki yang lumpuh. Patrick menghabiskan waktunya di kamarnya dan menjadi pendiam serta selalu berpemikiran dia itu tidak berguna dan ingin mati saja.

Namun, Patrick beruntung dikelilingi orang-orang yang menyayan
Tantri 0314
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, family
Keely, bagi saya buku ini menginspirasi. Memberikan teladan dan pelajaran bahwa kita harus selalu berusaha dan bertahan. Keely adalah buku tentang hubungan kakak adik (Patrick dan Keely), keluarga, persahabatan, dan dukungan dari seorang perawat.
Patrick terkena polio dan Keely selalu ingin menjadikan Patrick seperti dirinya yang dulu sebelum penyakit itu menyerangnya. Kehadiran Alex dan Peggy (perawat Patrick) membuat Keely mencapai keinginannya.
Buku ini juga menggambarkan bahwa dukungan keluarg
Ifa Inziati
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suka sekali dan sangat menikmati penggambaran keadaan di novel ini. Nyata banget. Kayak nonton film.

Di saat saya dikelilingi teman yang mempunyai teenlit percintaan, saya beli ini. Dan saya tidak menyesal. Hubungan kakak-adik itu lebih kuat dari sekadar sama gebetan. Terutama kepada saya, yang punya adik cowok berasa kembaran.

Deskripsinya menyentuh, alurnya rapi, SETTINGNYA JUARA. Nggak nyangka banget saya juga, bisa nikmati latar jadul kayak gitu. Ini novel dengan waktu lampau yang saya suka se
Stephanie A.
Jul 21, 2012 rated it liked it
I keep forgetting this book is only set in the 40's, not written then, because that's how completely the author submerges you. Noteworthy children's story, especially considering it features polio, which is not the easiest thing to work into a kid's book. Bonus: horses. It was mostly the horse on the cover that drew me in, to be honest, although I cannot seem to find a picture of the exact edition I read, which I believe was pure illustration rather than including any photographs.
Jeff
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
wow really good reminded me of a more modern reality based version of the secret garden..i wish there the ending was a bit more revealing of Patrick's fate but i guess thats teh realism of it all - he didnt become completely healed like collin in secret garden..anywho good book!
  • Sweetgrass
  • Strange Heaven
  • Who Is Frances Rain?
  • Shadow in Hawthorn Bay
  • Lisa's War (Lisa's War, #1)
  • Looking At The Moon (The Guests of War Trilogy, #2)
  • The Third Magic
  • The Landing
  • That Scatterbrain Booky (Booky, #1)
  • The Curse of the Viking Grave
  • Charlie Wilcox
  • Some of the Kinder Planets: Stories
  • To Stand On My Own: The Polio Epidemic Diary of Noreen Robertson, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, 1937 (Dear Canada)
  • Looking for X
  • There Will Be Wolves
  • Losing Joe's Place
  • Another Kind of Cowboy
Julie Johnston grew up in a small town in eastern Ontario, then went to the University of Toronto to study physio and occupational therapy. After university she and her husband, whom she met while in Toronto, worked for over a year at the Ontario Hospital School for physically and mentally handicapped children in Smith Falls, then travelled for four months in Europe, moved to Kingston, then Toront ...more
More about Julie Johnston...