Start by marking “Dune: Red Plague: A Tale of the Schools of Dune” as Want to Read:
Dune: Red Plague: A Tale of the Schools of Dune

Dune: Red Plague: A Tale of the Schools of Dune (Schools of Dune #4)

3.26  ·  Rating details ·  152 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
An all-new Tale of the Great Schools of Dune -- written to accompany Navigators of Dune by the same authors (Tor, September 2016).

At the Publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management Software (DRM) applied.
Published November 2nd 2016 by Tor Books (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Dune, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dune

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
2.5 stars. Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature:

“Dune: Red Plague” is a brief episode in an ongoing conflict in the DUNE series universe between an anti-technology group, led by Manford Torondo, and pro-technology people, personified by Josef Venport, the selfish CEO Directeur of Venport Holdings, a huge interstellar commercial empire with a large fleet of spaceships. Manford lost his legs in a bombing that killed his inspiration and mentor, Rayna Butler, and he views himself as resp
Lyn
Nov 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Disclaimer!!! This review is written by an unapologetic and wholly illogical Dune fan who hopes one day to be considered a Dune aficionado.

Brian and Kevin’s latest excellent adventure expanding Frank’s genius vision is a short story published in November 2016 by Tor.com.

Disclaimer!!! This review is written by a rabid Tor.com fan who thinks this site is the coolest thing since the Falcon made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs.

Written some time after the Butlerian Jihad, this concerns an atte
Mark
Mar 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, dune, scifi
This is a brief story in which the conflict between the Butlerian school of anti technology and the pro-technology camp come into conflict when one planet surfers the consequences of the Red Plague, from the title.
One camp has the technology and the cure for the disease and the other camp is blindly fanatic in following the anti-technology course. This of course in the aftermath of centuries of oppression by technology driven dictatorship.
This is not a story with a moral but a window on the dept
Joe Pranaitis
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Red Plague is a followup short story to the Schools of Dune trilogy which ended with Navigators of Dune. As the story opens we find that Josf Venport is being asked to help out a colony planet that had turned its back on technology, we also learn that the leader of the opposing force that has blockaded that planet has gone to join his fleet. I won't give away the ending but this story makes me want more Dune and I'm still looking forward to the two Leto II books that are supposed to bridge C ...more
Michael
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
A minor story in the Dune universe which adds very little to the canon.
Roger D. Robertson
Backpage

As usual, the writing was awesome. I am so glad that Herbert's son is in charge of revealing the back story to the Dune books. No one else would be right as far as I am concerned. Love everything that has come out of the Herbert and Anderson writings.
Will
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short but sweet

Effectively just another chapter of the Navigators of Dune full length novel.
I have seen it said it is a prequel to that book, but I think it sits better as a chapter inside that novel, as I believe Venport would act slightly differently to the Butlerians earlier on in Navigators based on these events.
Good read.
Patricia Lustig
This feels like a very formulaic book. I didn't like it much. In particular the continued escalation of aggression between the two sides. It felt childish and lacked any subtlety. Not that it couldn't be realistic with what we see in our world, but it is therefore much less interesting. I would not recommend it.
Alexander Kränzle
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked it. It was a nice in between read before diving into "Navigators". Nothing more, nothing less. Please tell me that the blond man (?) represented on the ebook's cover carrying Manford Torondo isn't Anari Idaho :-).
Rafael Sousa
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
As a short story, it's nothing special. It highlights the ongoing technology feud that's present in the Schools of Dune trilogy.

Something to briefly keep you up to date on the story before starting Navigators of Dune.
Joe
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I can see this short story will be unpopular among many, owing to its affiliation with the Dune concept, but I for one really enjoyed it - it reminded me, for the five minutes it took to read, how rewarding good sci-fi can be.
Hanna
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
meh
Ted Powell
a WASTE. I have to wonder why this was released. Come on guys you should be better than this. Very dissapointed.I.I forgot it and read it again.
I'm going to forget it again.
Denise
Jan 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I'm not sure this added a lot to the overall Dune story, but it was ok
Matthew Willis
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
A good introduction to the book
Odo
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, own
2.5/5.0
Scott Sweeny
Nov 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Not mind-blowing but it does make me want to read more of the series. I loved the original Dune but never got around to the rest.
Shannon Austin
Jan 21, 2018
mike
Nov 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Brian Patrick Herbert is an American author who lives in Washington state. He is the elder son of science fiction author Frank Herbert.
More about Brian Herbert

Schools of Dune (4 books)
  • Sisterhood of Dune (Schools of Dune #1)
  • Mentats of Dune (Schools of Dune #2)
  • Navigators of Dune (Schools of Dune #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Royal Ranger (Ranger's Apprentice, #12)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Birthday of the World and Other Stories
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Obsidian Son (The Temple Chronicles, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49