Start by marking “The DevOps Handbook: How to Create World-Class Agility, Reliability, and Security in Technology Organizations” as Want to Read:

Increase profitability, elevate work culture, and exceed productivity goals through DevOps practices.

More than ever, the effective management of technology is critical for business competitiveness. For decades, technology leaders have struggled to balance agility, reliability, and security. The consequences of failure have never been greater—whether it’s the healthcare.g
Published October 4th 2016 by IT Revolution Press, LLC (first published December 7th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The DevOps Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The DevOps Handbook

Start your review of The DevOps Handbook: How to Create World-Class Agility, Reliability, and Security in Technology Organizations
Quentin Fennessy
tl;dr This is a must-read for anyone who wants to understand, explain and implement DevOps culture, process and tools for high performance development and operations.

The DevOps Handbook (437 pages, 2016, Kim, Humble, Debois, Willis, Allspaw) is a must-read for anyone who wants to understand, explain and implement DevOps culture, process and tools for high performance development and operations. The Phoenix Project (2013, Kim, Spafford, Behr) took us through the challenges of IT development and o
Paul
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If this had been published in the 90s it would've been groundbreaking (and wrong). Published in the early 2000s it would've been bold. Publishing it now is redundant. Terms like CI are so common you don't even need to explain the initialism.

I was severely disappointed with this book. It is NOT a handbook of any kind. This is pure evangelism aimed at managers. Also, very quickly, I realised how extremely narrow the authors' world is. Basically: web services. Almost every argument and anecdote is
Michael Koltsov
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book actually reminds me of the book “Release it ” but with much less emphasis on actual technical patterns but with a stronger accent on soft skills.

It’s also complimentary to the “Phoenix Project” written by the same authors.

If you’ve skipped the “Phoenix Project” or you don’t like to read the novels, like I do, I would recommend you to start with this book as it has much more momentum than the first book.

It has a bunch of great inspiring examples of successes from the companies that have
Bjoern Rochel
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, eng-mgmt
It's not as good as I hoped for, after the fabulous 'Phoenix Project'. The technical level is perfect for a high level overview for a technical manager, but don't expect detailed guidance from this book.

Also if you are a frequent blog reader, you might already heard or read most of the things. It's good to have it in condensed form.

All the case studies give the book a nice grounded touch, but as the recent events around Etsy and Yahoo have shown, sometimes it might still not work out in the en
Eduards Sizovs
As a seasoned DevOps and Continuous Delivery practitioner, I didn't find this book useful or inspiring.

It's an attempt to put both technical and organizational practices in a single book, which is too much. The result is a vast, dry list of practices described "do this, do that..." format. Format full of content, but pretty boring.

Instead:

* For technical practices, read Continous Delivery (older, but more in-depth book).
* For organizational and team practices, read Teams Topologies.
* For inspi
Peter
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Finally gave up on this around the halfway mark. I did the audiobook version of this and it was just a sleep-inducing experience for the vast majority of the time. What finally broke me was when I realized I had completely zoned out for a good 15 minutes, but I didn't feel like I actually missed much or care if I did. Having done The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win a few years ago and having enjoyed that, I thought I'd give this a go as a refresher of the ...more
Meg
In the beginning, a lot of this book felt like a lengthy advertisement for The Phoenix Project, but my opinion improved over time. The material overall is not particularly new or earth-shattering, but the book does a good job of collecting several practices and underscoring their importance in a larger context. While the book has an understandable focus on cloud development, with a bit of ingenuity, several of the practices could also be adapted to more legacy desktop software development areas. ...more
Ryan Maclean
This book could have been 100 pages, and most of the content is filler.
Kirill
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: product
All DevOps practices in a single place - organisational, cultural and technical. Lots of exceptional case studies.
Salome Khaindrava
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Innovation is impossible without risk taking, and if you haven’t managed to upset at least some people in management, you’re probably not trying hard enough.
Mohamed Elsherif
I believe this book captures the true spirit of the DevOps movement, it lays down the problems & challenges clearly, sets the stage for different roles in the organization, and offers a clear path from traditional model to an organization that efficiently delivers value continuously.
Highly and strongly recommended
Jeremy Morgan
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 2nd time reading this was much better. The first time I felt like it was too much information packed into it.

But after a few years working in devops and coming back to it I found it to be pretty amazing. It does contain a ton of information and repeats things but in a deliberate way.

As others have said it's a must read for devops professionals, developers, testers or managers. It's a philosophy, not tools and this book lays out the philosophy well.
Den Ponsky
I found it an easy read, common sense and with numerous useful examples. I won't offer up the cliche that more developers should read this book but will offer up the suggestion that more of them follow up by implementing it's suggestions.
Maurício Linhares
Paired with Google's SRE book these two are absolutely required reading for anyone trying to build modern, reliable and long living software. This book covers a lot of ground in terms of best practices on getting your code from the repo to running in production, starting at the basics, with automated testing, metrics and logging collection, outliers detection, desaster recovery, bottleneck removal, how to introduce security and hardening best practices, how to sell these improvements to top lead ...more
Nilesh Patil
The start of the book is very engaging but later its becomes little boring due to either too much details and book talks about only one company called Etsy. I like the case studies in the relevant chapter but few places it just doesn't make sense. Overall good read but unfortunately not very productive. There is plenty of information and reference material available at the end which occupies almost 20% of the book. I think I expected more.
Faisal Prngtl
Devops is not a designation. It's a culture of adopting some practices, principle and tools to improve your all means of engineering. Dev QA ops sec whatever you call. learning and experimenting is much important. I recommend this book to all folks doing software development, testing , security, operation etc..
Miguel Alho
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A MUST read for anyone getting into the DevOps mindset!

I've gone through my second read of it, and I still get so much info out of it (and a good notion of how far I am from alot of what is in there, unfourtunately). I really, really, really need to externalize some notes from it.
Marta
This is an excellent overview of devops, including a summary of lean manufacturing, agile software development practices, security and compliance issues, etc. The authors stayed at a relatively high level - we will not find detailed solutions with exact steps here. Rather, the book points you to areas you might want to research further.

I am familiar with automated testing and continuous delivery practices, so most of the book sounded pretty familiar. The authors focused on IT practices of large
Vlad Ardelean
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
Nice book! Widened my horizons about what kinds of things are necessary/possible to get code really fast into production.

Apparently version control for operational things (apache configs, firewalls, deployment scripts...non-code things) is quite important!

Worth mentioning: Puppetlabs' "state of devops report" and the DORA report are places to check out, surveying the entire industry.

The part about how to transform an organisation, by using one devops seed team also made some sense!

Worth reading.
Evgeniia
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read for everyone involved in software development: devs, ops, QAs, project managers, etc., as DevOps is a culture, mind-changing culture, so everyone in software development process should understand what it is about and embrace it. Having dedicated DevOps team in the company doesn't necessary mean that you have taken most of DevOps practices, as DevOps is more than just a dedicated team, it is transformation of the entire software development process, from which every participant can gain ...more
Josh Laird
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The nonfiction follow up to the Phoenix Project. This has become my new Bible. A high level overview of what devops is and its best practices.
Luca
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written, good content. Lack of fifth star is more about me than the book itself. It wasn't too engaging and it's probably due to my familiarity with the ideas discussed.
Justas Butkus
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is guaranteed to be at least one story familiar to anyone with experience in technology, despite the size, age, or secrecy of the organization. And good learnings to come from that and other stories.
Dusan Katona
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the book, it provides a lot of practical examples how different companies moved to the DevOps model. Some chapters didn't bring anything new to me (like adopt continuous integration), because the practices described there has become a de-facto standard in the industry, but I can understand it can still help some companies which are at the start of the journey.
Definitely worth reading for anyone who wants to make a technology organization better!
Dmitri Colebatch
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Comprehensive, but pretty heavy going. Anyone who has read about Agile and Teams will find a lot of repeated information and knowledge. Having said that - a valuable set of information and advice; I’d challenge anyone to read the book at not gain value.
Ulas Tuerkmen
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a certain counter-intuitiveness, even a conflict to the basic tenets of the DevOps concept. Beyond the basic practices of storing infrastructure as code and automating / scripting as much as possible, DevOps requires organizations to bring code to the users as frequently as possible, making the changes in small increments. Only by making the delivery process as quick, easy and safe as possible is it possible to create a platform that is reliable, secure and and of maximum value to custo ...more
Marian
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good concepts, exceedingly verbose writing...
Sebastian Gebski
Is there really a need for another book about DevOps? This trend? movement? paradigm? approach? is present for at least few years & we have tremendous numbers of various types of materials & tools - is there a niche for this book then?

I dare to say - it is.

Need for DevOps has been well described in Lean Enterprise, common practices have their description in Continuous Integration & Continuous Delivery books, there are plenty of specialized books for particular tools / platforms, BUT WHAT WE WERE
Alex French
Good: Covers a lot of ideas

Bad: Different audiences often have very different ideas what "DevOps" means. This book just chooses to lump together everything that might possibly be "DevOps" AND any other modern idea about project management and process improvement. This really does a disservice to lots of distinct ideas that may or may not apply to different situations.

I was a little skeptical of many of the mini-case-studies, and a tiny note at the end admits that many of them record a brief high
An
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
A good book in terms of giving you a managerial bird's eye view of DevOps in modern companies. Unfortunately not as technical as I would have liked and does little to delve into the technological details and choices. It prefers to stay on the managerial side but it still communicates important principles. The problem is that if you mostly already know those principles, known information mixes with new information in an unpleasant rhythm and proportion. It also has quite a bit of content that kin ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Accelerate: Building and Scaling High-Performing Technology Organizations
  • Team Topologies: Organizing Business and Technology Teams for Fast Flow
  • Making Work Visible: Exposing Time Theft to Optimize Work & flow
  • Site Reliability Engineering: How Google Runs Production Systems
  • A Seat at the Table
  • Project to Product: How to Survive and Thrive in the Age of Digital Disruption with the Flow Framework
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation
  • The Art Of Business Value
  • Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems
  • Monolith to Microservices: Sustaining Productivity While Detangling the System
  • Clean Architecture
  • Kubernetes: Up & Running
  • Effective Devops: Building a Culture of Collaboration, Affinity, and Tooling at Scale
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
  • Leading the Transformation: Applying Agile and DevOps Principles at Scale
  • The Manager's Path: A Guide for Tech Leaders Navigating Growth and Change

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Gene Kim is a multiple award-winning CTO, Tripwire founder, Visible Ops co-author, IT Ops/Security Researcher, Theory of Constraints Jonah, a certified IS auditor and a rabid UX fan.

He is passionate about IT operations, security and compliance, and how IT organizations successfully transform from "good to great."

News & Interviews

“In high-performing organizations, everyone within the team shares a common goal—quality, availability, and security aren’t the responsibility of individual departments, but are a part of everyone’s job, every day.” 4 likes
“Ask a programmer to review ten lines of code, he’ll find ten issues. Ask him to do five hundred lines, and he’ll say it looks good.” 3 likes