Start by marking “The Mephisto Club (Rizzoli & Isles, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Mephisto Club (Rizzoli & Isles, #6)

The Mephisto Club

(Rizzoli & Isles #6)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  31,360 ratings  ·  1,567 reviews
In Gerritsens latest New York Times bestseller, medical examiner Maura Isles and detective Jane Rizzoli take on a society of scholars that studies the history of evil--and the grisly killer it has spawned.
Published September 12th 2006 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about The Mephisto Club, please sign up.
Sarah Hi
Hi
You will find them more enjoyable if you can follow them in order. The books themselves can stand alone and each story is a different case. However, (without giving anything away), the characters are unraveled as their personalities and pasts are revealed and each book develops the characters relationships. Reading them in order will make much more sense and give you more depth and understanding to certain behaviours. Hold on if you can, it will be worth it!(less)
Helene Robinet They are connectiing. i think that if you read it now, you won't get the idea that you miss something. However, i you begin with the surgeon and then…moreThey are connectiing. i think that if you read it now, you won't get the idea that you miss something. However, i you begin with the surgeon and then go on, you will enjoy the Mefisto Club better. Then you will have some more informations about Maura Isles en Jane Rizzoli, about Father Brophy (otherwise you won't see exactly what Maura and Daniel are about), Vince Korsack and so on. It is not really necessary to know about it to have a good time, but my advies to you would be to read all the books from the beginning, for the characters evolve, as well as their relations.
Enjoy.(less)

Sheila
Mar 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably my least favorite of Rizzoli and Isles series. I suppose it is all the demon possession parts of the story. I prefer regular old fashioned sociopaths.
Jonetta
Homicide detective Jane Rizzoli and medical examiner Maura Isles are called to the scene of the brutal murder of a young woman. Strange symbols and a cryptic message are clues that lead them to an even stranger group of people who are members of the Mephisto Foundation, a group of scholars who believe in and study the history of evil. Even more disturbing is the discovery that Dr. Joyce O’Donnell is a member and evidence suggests the killer is somehow connected to her.

This was a creepy story th
Paige  Bookdragon
Ever since Maura Isles got the spotlight in this series, I've been complaining how pathetic she is when it comes to her love life. Seriously, she keeps on trying to fall in love to every attractive guy who looks at her. How come a logical and level-headed medical examiner can make such stupid moves is beyond me.

description

Anyway, The Memphisto Club is the sixth book in the Rizzoli and Isles series. We got some stabbings here, some bullets flying between the good and the evil, a weird club and a ton of medi
Jean
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peccavi. “I have sinned.” This Latin word, along with three upside down crosses, is found on the wall of a lurid murder scene on Christmas Eve. The Mephisto Club, Tess Gerritsen’s sixth book in her much-liked Rizzoli & Isles series, features more graphic murder scenes than several of her previous novels. Mephisto takes its name from the legend of Dr. Faustus. Mephistopheles was the evil spirit that appeared to Faustus after he drew secret symbols. The result: Faustus sold his soul to the d ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
It amazes me that Tess Gerritsen is able to write such awesome thrillers, time after time. And yet she does, proving that she is, quite simply, at the top of her game--and at the top of the psychological thriller/mystery genre!

Many others have outlined the plot of THE MEPHISTO CLUB, so let me just say a few things: this is a great storyline, original, and handled deftly. The action-adventure is non-stop throughout the book, and although you know, basically from the beginning of the story, who t
Fred
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, re-read
Tess Gerritsen Fans Group Link

A nice read with Rizzoli & Isles, Christmas Eve is spoiled in Boston. A Latin word "Peccavi" & crosses (written upside down) are left in blood on bodies. The Latin word means "I Have Sinned". Upside down crosses are against "Chtistanity".
Severed body parts from one murder are swap with another part at the next murder. A symbol is left on Maura's door causing her fear.

A Mephisto Club member, Dr. Joyce O'Donnell (psychiatrist), appears but not much "help"
Michelle♥
I really didn't like this one all that much. I was actually able to put it down and walk away from it.

I was not thrilled with the character development in this one, there was really only two surprising things...(view spoiler)

The overall plot wasn't that good. I was not truly scared reading about the boy's perspective, it was interesting only
Siobhan
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Mephisto Club is the sixth Rizzoli and Isles book, and if I’m being honest it is probably my least favourite thus far. It was still an enjoyable read, but I didn’t love it in the way I loved the five prior books. I’m unsure if this is because it has been so long since I read Vanish or whether it was the story itself but I’m hoping I’ll enjoy The Keepsake a lot more.

The one thing I can clearly attribute to my lowered enjoyment is the attention paid to the private life of Isles. Ever since we
Sarah ~
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
كوني من متابعي مسلسل Rizzoli & Isles ..
هو ما أوقعني في هذه الورطة منذ البداية .
سعدت حينَ رأيت اسم الكاتبة وقررت قراءة روايتها فوراً ، والرواية أيضاً بطريقة ما ، مرتبطة بالمسلسل .
لكن ، أنا نادمة الآن .
رواية رديئة ، ومع هذا تحتمَ على إنهائها فـ لازلنا في بداية العام والوقت مبكر لترك أحد الكتب بدون إكماله ..
ليست مشوقة أو مثيرة ، فقط مجرد حديث طويل ، طويل ، وغير منطقي .
ولا تتحسن الأمور ولا تتطور ، فـ الرواية تحافظ على مستواها السيء طوال عدد صفحاتها الـ 400 :/
لن أقرأ مرة أخرى لـ تيس جريتسين وسأكت
Claudia / BeautyButterflies
Wieder ein toller Teil der Rizzoli&Isles Reihe - Die privaten Geschehnisse zu den beiden Haupt-Protagonistinnen kamen mir dieses mal ein wenig zu kurz; ich mag die beiden einfach so gerne. Der Fall war aber spannend und abwechslungsreich, wenn auch ein wenig vorhersehbar. Trotzdem freue ich mich auf die folgenden Bände - Ich bin ja gerade mal bei der Hälfte :)
Tess Gerritsen schreibt einfach toll und als Hörbuch ist die Reihe auch sehr gut umgesetzt!
Elizabeth
Nov 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Peccavi

The Latin word is scrawled in blood at the scene of a young woman's brutal murder: "I HAVE SINNED". It's a chilling Christmas greeting for Boston medical examiner Maura Isles and Detective Jane Rizzoli, who swiftly link the victim to controversial celebrity psychiatrist Joyce O'Donnell - Maura's professional nemesis and member of a secret society called "The Mephisto Club."

On tony Beacon Hill, the club's acolytes devote themselves to the analysis of evil: Can it be explained by science? D
Célia | Estante de Livros
Uma vez que a edição portuguesa de O Clube Mefisto se encontra esgotada, foi precisamente este o livro que escolhi para inaugurar a minha subscrição do Audible. De experiências anteriores, concluí que os audiobooks funcionam particularmente bem se se tratar de uma série que já acompanho, de preferência no género policial/thriller, e esta leitura veio confirmar essa impressão.

O Clube Mefisto é o sexto livro da série “Rizzoli & Isles” e posso dizer que continuo a gostar de acompanhar as aventu
Kellie
This is a series that has almost become a diamond in the rough. I remember, the first book did not really strike me as great, but it was good enough for me to want to read the second one. Ever since, this series has really caught my attention. The setting has been mostly Boston, but this book travels to upstate New York. The Binghamton area, Lourdes Hospital, Norwich and even Syracuse are mentioned. Jane and Maura are tracking an evil force. With the unwanted assistance of the Mephisto Club, the ...more
Sydney Gibson
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I still am loving these books! However, this one was a little on the eh side for me. I enjoyed the story, but was a bit lost when the talk about mythology and religion came into play. I felt at times that took over the story when there needed to be more focus on the killer and the investigation.

I know my reviews are vague, but I don't like throwing out too many details that will ruin a reader's decision to read any book. So I apologize for that!!

I'm excited to start the next rizzoli and isles
CD {Boulder Blvd}
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
This one didn't work for me. The guilty party was identified early and then we go through a history lesson on the myth of demons. The Mephisto Club itself was a group of creepy people. Although I did like a certain character getting in too deep (I won't spoil). I didn't like Maura having the affair with the Priest and wished their relationship hadn't progressed that far. The ending set up at a remote location seemed too much like a plot device versus something that would happen.

Although this one
Wendy Darling
May 08, 2011 rated it liked it
I hate it when this series focuses on Maura's boring love life. How a smart woman can make nothing but stupid choices where her romantic relationships are concerned is beyond me.
Aleksandra
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Jedan od boljih trilera koji sam pročitala u poslednje vreme.

E sad, imam jedno pitanje koje upućujem svim ovim prevodiocima koji nam dozvole da se, čitajući neku baš dobru knjigu, u nekom trenutku "smorimo", jer, gle čuda, prevode nedajbože: ljudi, da li vi imate neki rok, pre nego što nabacate prevod samo, kada, na primer, istražite pokoju "činjenicu" iz date knjige? Eto, to me zanima jer baš kad mi beše zanimljivo i kad se udubih u čitanje, ja naiđem na OTKRIVENJE (misli se na deo Biblije). N
Umut Çalışan
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Malumunuz tema Amerikanvari polisiye olunca vahşice ve ustaca işlenmiş bir cinayet kaçınılmaz. Yine öyle; önümüzde kolu bir yerde, bacağı bir yerde, parçalanmış, işkence görmüş önce bir, sonra birkaç ceset var. Lakin bu kez katili bulma içinde Jane ve Maura yalnız değil. Şeytan ve şeytani diğer varlıkların ruhani birer varlık olmak dışında, kanlı, canlı, gerçek yaratıklar olduğuna ve insanlar arasında elini kolunu sallaya sallaya dolaştığına inanan, elit, entelektüel ve bir o kadar zengin kimsel ...more
Abdullah Bakhashwain
رواية نادي مفيستو تندرج تحت نوع روايات الغموض والاثارة. فكرة الرواية الاساسية قائمة على الانتقام. النابع من ايمان ومعتقدات ومفاهيم وتصورات اسطورية زائفة تدفع بمعتنقيها كي يقوموا ببعض الاعمال والطقوس خوفاً من سيطرة قوى خفية غامضة خارجية ماورائية .يخشون منها لانهم يعتقدون ان لها تآثير عليهم وعلى سير حياتهم.
تنطلق الرواية من ماتم دفت وتأبين احد افراد اسرة طبيب في احد المقابر، ويبدأ تسلسل الاحداث وعمليات القتل الغامضة و الانتقام وتشوية الجثث المتعمد لارسال رسائل مشفرة للضحية التالية.
المؤلفة طبيبة م
Gary
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superbly crafted

this book reads like a horror novel but is a mystery nonetheless. The author does a nice job developing the characters and it is clear that this tendency began earlier in the series. I started with this book and it worked as a stand alone, but there are references to previous books in the series that loyal readers no doubt recognize.
The story begins with a murder on Christmas Eve that appears to be a satanic ritual. A group of amateur sleuths with a lot of money and less experien
Karen Mcgillivray
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Hair raisin. I was scared and spooked reading this.... Great.
Tamara
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
Net als voorgaande delen weer heerlijk spannend!
Kelly  R
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Similar to the Da Vinci Code in terms of symbol/demon hunters, disappointing ending.
Jane
I don't know what happened but this is my least favourite Rizzoli & Isles so far. Maura seemed stuck in her own head for having fallen in love with a priest and worrying whether anything's going to happen or what is going to happen. Ugh, get a grip woman! For a 41-year-old woman she seems a bit too much like a teenager at times.

The crime part of the story reminded me quite a bit of one of the Robert Langdon stories because there was a lot of talk about God, christianity and its symbols. Gerr
Lynsey A
Another Rizzoli and Isles book draws to a close for me. A great story with quite a bit of excitement.

I still feel sorry for Maura. She's heading down a road that is going to leave her with nothing but heartbreak. She deserves happiness.

As for the friendship between Maura and Jane I still want in the books what I see in the tv series. They are friends but it just doesn't feel like a deep friendship. I don't see a great deal of closeness, just judgement and anger at times. I don't know if they ju
Gabrielė Sabaliauskienė
Tess man yra detektyvų karalienė 🤩😍 Tad visad labai malonu sugrįžti prie jos knygų ir žinau, jog laukia tikrai įtampos bei jaudulio kupini puslapiai.

Kalėdų išvakarėse detektyvė Džeinė Ricoli yra iškviečiama į siaubingo nusikaltimo vietą, kur žiauriai buvo nužudyta jauna moteris.
Į nusikaltimo vietą taip pat atvyksta ir medicinos ekspertė Mora Ailz. Sename name ant sienų jas pasitinka lotyniškas užrašas : AŠ NUSIDĖJAU. Tuomet dar nieko nenutuokdamos moterys, net neįtaria su kokiu blogiu dar joms t
Kales
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Okay so the mystery on this one was weird and I wasn't as impressed with it. I do like how it paned out with the family drama and eventually tied together with the Italy story. But the best part of this book was the character development of Rizzoli and Isles.

Isles and the priest...I was literally driving down the road listening to the audiobook shouting down the road like someone had just cut me off. I was losing my mind at the drama and intensity of it all, I almost had to pull over.

Then when
Zézinha Rosado
Mais um fabuloso livro com a dupla Rizzolil & Isles, sendo que esta autora nunca desilude quem gosta do estilo de literatura policial, com thriller e muito suspense misturados.
Desta vez a autora aborda o tema do mal e da existência de Satanás... se há luz também há trevas, se há bem também há mal, se existe Deus também existe o Diabo???
Questões que nos fazem pensar e que fazem as detectives Rizzoli e Isles partirem em busca de respostas para questões antigas... mas que no entanto parecem tão
Sandra Bašić
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super je vratiti se dobroj "staroj" Tess!
Paul Finch
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
WARNING FOR SLIGHT SPOILERS

As usual, on/off partners in crime-fighting, Detective Jane Rizzoli and medical examiner, Doctor Maura Isles, are having difficulties in their personal lives.

At the start of The Mephisto Club, Isles’s yearning for handsome Catholic priest, Father Daniel Brophy, remains unrequited, but as he is equally attracted to her, how long that status will last is anyone’s guess. Meanwhile Jane Rizzoli, an experienced homicide investigator with the Boston PD, has a happily-marrie
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question M 5 4 Nov 01, 2018 07:32AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question E 4 5 Oct 31, 2018 11:50PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question G 4 4 Oct 31, 2018 11:38PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question H 4 5 Oct 31, 2018 11:34PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question K 4 2 Oct 31, 2018 11:24PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question L 3 3 Oct 26, 2018 03:27PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question J 3 4 Oct 26, 2018 03:24PM
  • Deadly Decisions (Temperance Brennan, #3)
  • The Next Accident (Quincy & Rainie, #3)
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend #2)
  • A Faint Cold Fear (Grant County, #3)
  • Death Dance (Alexandra Cooper, #8)
  • Damaged (Maggie O'Dell, #8)
  • Eine unbeliebte Frau (Bodenstein & Kirchhoff, #1)
  • Flesh and Bone (Body Farm #2)
Internationally bestselling author Tess Gerritsen took an unusual route to a writing career. A graduate of Stanford University, Tess went on to medical school at the University of California, San Francisco, where she was awarded her M.D.

While on maternity leave from her work as a physician, she began to write fiction. In 1987, her first novel was published. Call After Midnight, a romantic thriller

Rizzoli & Isles (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles, #1)
  • The Apprentice (Rizzoli & Isles, #2)
  • The Sinner (Rizzoli & Isles, #3)
  • Body Double (Rizzoli & Isles, #4)
  • Vanish (Rizzoli & Isles, #5)
  • The Keepsake (Rizzoli & Isles, #7)
  • Ice Cold (Rizzoli & Isles, #8)
  • The Silent Girl (Rizzoli & Isles, #9)
  • Last to Die (Rizzoli & Isles, #10)
  • Die Again (Rizzoli & Isles, #11)
“I know there’s evil in the world, and there always has been. But you don’t need to believe in Satan or demons to explain it. Human beings are perfectly capable of evil all by themselves.” 294 likes
“You can study a face all you want, but you never really know what lies beneath the mask.” 5 likes