Start by marking “Shatterpoint” as Want to Read:
Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint (Star Wars: Clone Wars #1)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  6,017 Ratings  ·  181 Reviews
“The Jedi are keepers of the peace. We are not soldiers.”
—MACE WINDU
Star Wars:   Episode II: Attack of the Clones

Mace Windu is a living legend: Jedi Master, senior member of the Jedi Council, skilled diplomat, devastating fighter. Some say he is the deadliest man alive. But he is a man of peace—and for the first time in a thousand years, the galaxy is at war.

Now, follow
Published April 27th 2004 by Del Rey (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Shatterpoint, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shatterpoint

Jim
Nov 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I haven't been keeping up with the Star Wars novels lately, but I had been curious about this one. It wasn't what I expected. A page-turner to be sure, with lots of fighting and action and light-sabery goodness, but there's something much deeper going on here.

Shatterpoint is set after Attack of the Clones. Mace Windu receives a troubling message from his former Padawan Depa Billaba. Now Mace must travel to the jungle world of Haruun Kal to find Depa and either save her or destroy her.

The thing
Justyna
Sep 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
I read quite a lot of Star Wars book over the last couple of years and this book was definitely different and darker than what I usually read.

First of all, the main character is Mace Windu. I don't think I ever saw another book with him playing such a big part in the story. He travels to his home planet to search for his missing former Padawan, Depa Billaba, who was send there on the mission. (the book takes place shortly after The Attack of the Clones). He doesn't know what really happened to
Charlie
Mar 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is way better than an original novel starring Mace Windu has any right to be.
Katrin von Martin
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit that I put this book off for a while. So far, I've been largely unimpressed by the Clone Wars era and have never given Mace Windu much thought beyond his brief, seemingly unimportant role in the movies. Now, however, I have a newfound respect for Master Windu and am inclined to believe that Shatterpoint is one of the best Star Wars books out there. Spoilers follow.

In the grand scheme of the Clone Wars, the events on Haruun Kal are probably largely unimportant. To the characters
Crystal Starr Light
"He was looking forward to doing straightforward, uncomplicated butt-whooping"
Depa Bilaba, Mace's only student of Vapaad, has been sent to Haruun Kal, Mace Windu's homeworld. But a disturbing message indicating she is unstable causes Mace to return to his root. There, he must battle more than just the jungles, more than the predators around every corner, more than the Korunnai and the Balawai...he must face himself and what it means to be a Jedi.
NOTE: Based on audiobook and novel.
If you are goin
Sean
Sep 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is as good as space opera gets. My buddy John, who absolutely _hates_ the prequel trilogy and Mace Windu in them, loved it.

This is Mace Windu as he should have been. This is the best action writing I've read. This is a tale of a holy warrior pitted against a world of darkness.

Warning: For the squeamish out there, this novel gets pretty graphic in its violence and its portrayal of the horrors of war.
Angela
Mace Windu's old padawan has got involved in a war and may have fallen to the dark side. Mace goes after her alone, to his home planet. This is 'Heart of Darkness' with a jedi twist. The journey through the jungle, looking for his elusive pupil, to the horrors of war, just pay homage to 'Heart'. This is a dark, depressing kind of book, with lots of horrible things happening. It does not glamorise war in any sense of the word. Mace's character is strongly enough written to drive the plot forward. ...more
Ron
Jan 31, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Ron by: Wendell Andrea
A good story, but poorly told. Sophomoric humor and lapses of simple grammatical standards detract from what could have been much better. It's as if Stover's target audience was thirteen-year-olds.

Having said that, Stover attempted an unblinking appraisal of the ugliness of war. While the writing soon after September 11, 2001 may have contributed to the stark lessons he conveyed, those lessons are universal.
Stanislav Malchev
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great Star Wars story. I wish I've read it in 2004 when it was published, when my passion for starwars was peaking and when the story was still canon. Still a good read though.
Greg
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
THE FURTHER YOU get into this scintillating, compelling, fascinating, totally unique and absolutely enthralling member of the beloved Expanded Universe, the better it gets. There’s no doubt, however, that it starts off with a bang. We learn many things in SHATTERPOINT about the wonder that is Jedi Master Mace Windu, not the least of which what a ’shatter point’ actually is. But we also learn the number of combat techniques (there are six) that are available to a Jedi and their Padawan. We also l ...more
Ethan
May 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
As a general rule, I pretty much hate the idea of media tie-in novels, and the whole franchise thing turns me off. My brother has been trying to get me to read a few of these Star Wars authors (Stackpole, Zahn) for quite a while, and I resisted since I could only imagine books populated by hack riffs on the old themes, catch phrases and rehashes of the good old days when Leia told Han she'd rather kiss a wookie...that kind of thing.

Of course, Stover wouldn't do that. This is the 4th book of his
Shadab Siddiqi
Jul 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone wanting to know more about mace windu
Shelves: clonewars
The title of this book comes from mace windu's belief that the world is like a diamond and you must be a master craftsman to know where and when to strike at the shatter points in order to cut properly. He blames himself for not taking the head of Count Dooku when he had the chance before the massacre of jedi in the ring at Geinosis at the end of Episode II. Mace felt as if this was one shatterfpoint he missed. I like the sufi wisdom in it.

But for those of you who didn't know: Mace Windu is a li
Patrick
Feb 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars
Heart of Darkness Star Wars style. This book is fabulous in my opinion. Mace Windu kicks butt, and it really explores the bigger philosophical questions of justification for war, hatred through misunderstanding, and whether it was possible for the Jedi to survive the Clone War even if they had caught Palpatine and won militarily. This book makes the gap between Episode II and Episode III human and real rather than some abstract wars between droids that shoot bright lights at each other in space. ...more
Amber
Mar 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Possibly my favorite Star Wars novel to date. Shatterpoint is far darker than the vast majority of Star Wars books I've read, showing a more realistic side of war than we generally see in this franchise.

It certainly doesn't hurt that Mace Windu is one of my favorite secondary Star Wars characters.

Basic summary:
Months into the Clone Wars, Mace Windu's fellow Council member, and former apprentice, Depa Billaba was sent to Windu's homeworld to help guerrilla forces fight off the Separatists. Her mi
Corey
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Once again I'll say that I wasn't a fan of the prequel Star Wars, but Mace Windu had to be my favorite character from the prequels, aside from Darth Maul. And I'm also a die-hard Samuel L. Jackson fan, he's just AWESOME! If I remember correctly, in this book, Mace Windu is on a distant planet in search of a missing Jedi that he had trained. The storyline was interesting l, and just a fun read.

I was so sad when Darth Sidious/Palpatine kills Mace in Revenge of the Sith, I just hated him so much, b
Sara
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
A page turner for sure. This book follows Mace Windu as he searches for his former padawan, Depa Billaba, to find out what happened to her.
This was a good read, full of action and believable characters. Well written and the story was executed superbly.
Throughout the story I found myself really connecting with Mace. As the story progressed, I could feel his dispair in me. At one point I felt overwhelmed with hopelessness. A book rarely does that to me, and I was surprised. But in the end, I was
Billy Maise
Jun 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Mace Windu is such a baller.
I was so pumped that he finally got his own book.
The fact that Windu is a cold clean killing machine whose lightsaber style (Vaapad) is like, centimeters away from the Dark Side, is just epic. He is probably my favorite Jedi of all time.
This book did an excellent job of letting you enter Mace Windu's awesome psyche. There was a lot of action, a lot of intrigue. Basically, a great Star Wars novel.
By the way, he's the only one who could pull off that purple lightsaber
Brad
Oct 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A solid addition to the Clone Wars novels. This novel alone made me seek out more writing by Stover. His story was ever unfolding and it was hard to predict what the outcome would be at any given time. The characters were real and even the ones you'd think you wouldn't care about became emotionally bonding. Stover did a work of art in this piece.
Anime Mage
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars-books
Making great use of some of the most interesting era in Star Wars along with the excellent talents of Mathew Stover, this book does a fantastic job of adding to Mace Windu's character with a story worth of the Star Wars name.

4/5 - a great book that any Star Wars fan should be required to read!
Michael Barker
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's literally apocalypse now but In the Star Wars universe. Very captivating
A Bald Mage** Steve
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Star Wars meets the Vietnam war.... really enjoyed this one very grim in tone one of the best Clone wars novels out there.... 7.5/10
Farrell
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an almost spoiler free review! What is spoiled, is mostly revealed on the back of the book, or inside the hardcover's wrapper!

This novel centres around one of the most popular secondary characters in the Star Was Universe, Mace Windu. Part of that is how the character was written, but I am sure it has more to do the fact that it was portrayed on screen by the very talented actor, Samuel L. Jackson. As such, you can't look at the character on screen, or read about him in a book without ec
Eric Farr
Dec 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shatterpoint is not a bad Star Wars novel, but neither is it an especially good one. In a way, it suffers from some of the problems of the Prequel Trilogy movies that it ties into. These problems are especially obvious when contrasted with the derivative but highly entertaining The Force Awakens: George Lucas's last attempts at the franchise were more than willing to experiment with storytelling and form, more than willing to continue to push at genre, but they were ultimately harmed by these ef ...more
Rick
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
I read the Kindle edition of Shatterpoint. I chose it, because it regularly sits on people's "Star Wars books to read" lists. It wouldn't be in my top 10 or even 20 Star Wars books to read, but it is a good read, and delves into darkness in a way most Star Wars books ignore.

Set between the Battle of Geonosis in Episode II and the battle between Master Windu and Darth Sidious in Episode III (yes, prequel era), Shatterpoint tells a story of Master Mace Windu journeying back to his home planet of H
Jared
Star Wars Legends Project #117

Background: Shatterpoint was written by Matthew Woodring Stover and published in June 2003. Stover has written three other Star Wars novels, including the adaptation of Revenge of the Sith, as well as other fantasy and science fiction works. Outside of Star Wars, he is probably best-known for his "Acts of Caine" series.

Shatterpoint takes place about 6 months after the Battle of Geonosis, 22 years before the battle of Yavin. The main character is Mace Windu, with a
Vendea
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
I once heard the world of the prequels described as "bright and shining" - which is true, but it is also incredibly dark and horrifying. This novel really gets into what can make a Jedi fall to the dark side, which is something that I've been wondering about a lot lately, after watching The Clone Wars and seeing Anakin's behavior in them which made me wonder just how he could fall from there to slaughtering younglings. Anyway, good fight scenes, good story, good characters, excellent exploration ...more
Austin P
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is taking place right after the battle of geonosis (Attack of The Clones)Mace windu, padawan, depa balaba gets in to some trouble on his home planet during a mission . So he sets out on a mission to save her. He is a master at vapad a light saber form that is forbidden. It is forbidden because. You use the dark side of the force to aid in the light side. so it is forbidden because some Jedi fell to the dark side.
Brian Harrison
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars, scifi
I was less than impressed with this one. The book kept jumping around way too much to the point where I was even a little confused as to what was going. I really hope that this is not indicative of this author's writing style.

In addition, it was never really clear of why the darkness that overtook Depa and Mace to some degree really occurred. In other books it has always been clear, how the dark side acted.
JP
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Fun, Fast and Forgettable.

They are - the prequel novels- very fun to read. They read quick, and bygone they are absolutely forgettable.

Trying to complete this review, I remember this book being fun, and I don't remember why.

I had to look up the synopsis, and after I looked it up, I still can't remember many of the details.

Great fun, and sorely I do not remember much of this.
Joseph Rogers
Not bad

A bit difficult to get into and the writing makes it hard to maintain interest. It was good to have Mace Windu as the focal character but the general story didn't quite match his character.
  • Yoda: Dark Rendezvous
  • Battle Surgeons (Medstar, #1)
  • The Cestus Deception
  • True Colors (Star Wars: Republic Commando, #3)
  • Jedi Trial
  • Labyrinth of Evil (Star Wars: The Dark Lord Trilogy, #1)
  • Wild Space (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, #2)
  • The Approaching Storm
  • Rebel Dream (Enemy Lines, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #11)
  • The Final Prophecy (Star Wars: New Jedi Order, #18)
  • Allegiance (Star Wars)
Matthew Woodring Stover is an American fantasy and science fiction author. He is perhaps best known for his Star Wars novels -- Traitor, Shatterpoint, Revenge of the Sith and Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor. He has also published several pieces of original work, such as Heroes Die, which Stover described as 'a piece of violent entertainment that is a meditation on violent entertainment'. ...more
More about Matthew Woodring Stover...

Star Wars: Clone Wars (8 books)
  • Legacy of the Jedi
  • The Cestus Deception
  • The Hive (Star Wars: Clone Wars, Short Story)
  • Battle Surgeons (Medstar, #1)
  • Jedi Healer (Medstar, #2)
  • Jedi Trial
  • Yoda: Dark Rendezvous
“Jedi do not fight for peace. That's only a slogan, and is as misleading as slogans always are. Jedi fight for civilization, because only civilization creates peace. We fight for justice because justice is the fundamental bedrock of civilization: an unjust civilization is built upon sand. It does not long survive a storm.” 26 likes