Start by marking “Shatterpoint” as Want to Read:
Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint

(Star Wars: Clone Wars #1)

“The Jedi are keepers of the peace. We are not soldiers.”
—MACE WINDU
Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones

Mace Windu is a living legend: Jedi Master, senior member of the Jedi Council, skilled diplomat, devastating fighter. Some say he is the deadliest man alive. But he is a man of peace—and for the first time in a thousand years, the galaxy is at war.

Now,
Published April 27th 2004 by Del Rey (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Shatterpoint, please sign up.
Michael Not really, although familiarity with "Attack of the Clones" (and, to a lesser extent, "The Phantom Menace") will help. Likewise, if you've read…moreNot really, although familiarity with "Attack of the Clones" (and, to a lesser extent, "The Phantom Menace") will help. Likewise, if you've read Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness", you'll catch on to what's happening a lot sooner. Otherwise, Stover made sure this one stands more or less alone as long as you know some basic stuff from the prequel trilogy. :)(less)

Start your review of Shatterpoint
Jim
Nov 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I haven't been keeping up with the Star Wars novels lately, but I had been curious about this one. It wasn't what I expected. A page-turner to be sure, with lots of fighting and action and light-sabery goodness, but there's something much deeper going on here.

Shatterpoint is set after Attack of the Clones. Mace Windu receives a troubling message from his former Padawan Depa Billaba. Now Mace must travel to the jungle world of Haruun Kal to find Depa and either save her or destroy her.

The thing
Katrin von Martin
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars
I have to admit that I put this book off for a while. So far, I've been largely unimpressed by the Clone Wars era and have never given Mace Windu much thought beyond his brief, seemingly unimportant role in the movies. Now, however, I have a newfound respect for Master Windu and am inclined to believe that Shatterpoint is one of the best Star Wars books out there. Spoilers follow.

In the grand scheme of the Clone Wars, the events on Haruun Kal are probably largely unimportant. To the characters
Justyna
Sep 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
I read quite a lot of Star Wars book over the last couple of years and this book was definitely different and darker than what I usually read.

First of all, the main character is Mace Windu. I don't think I ever saw another book with him playing such a big part in the story. He travels to his home planet to search for his missing former Padawan, Depa Billaba, who was send there on the mission. (the book takes place shortly after The Attack of the Clones). He doesn't know what really happened to
Charlie
Mar 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is way better than an original novel starring Mace Windu has any right to be.
Crystal Starr Light
"He was looking forward to doing straightforward, uncomplicated butt-whooping"
Depa Bilaba, Mace's only student of Vapaad, has been sent to Haruun Kal, Mace Windu's homeworld. But a disturbing message indicating she is unstable causes Mace to return to his root. There, he must battle more than just the jungles, more than the predators around every corner, more than the Korunnai and the Balawai...he must face himself and what it means to be a Jedi.
NOTE: Based on audiobook and novel.
If you are
Greg
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
THE FURTHER YOU get into this scintillating, compelling, fascinating, totally unique and absolutely enthralling member of the beloved Expanded Universe, the better it gets. There’s no doubt, however, that it starts off with a bang. We learn many things in SHATTERPOINT about the wonder that is Jedi Master Mace Windu, not the least of which what a ’shatter point’ actually is. But we also learn the number of combat techniques (there are six) that are available to a Jedi and their Padawan. We also ...more
Sean
Sep 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is as good as space opera gets. My buddy John, who absolutely _hates_ the prequel trilogy and Mace Windu in them, loved it.

This is Mace Windu as he should have been. This is the best action writing I've read. This is a tale of a holy warrior pitted against a world of darkness.

Warning: For the squeamish out there, this novel gets pretty graphic in its violence and its portrayal of the horrors of war.
Malum
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-wars
"We are well and truly forked".
Yup, that's a line from this book. I'll just leave that here for you to ponder...

So anyway, I have been reading a lot of really good Star Wars novels lately but Shatterpoint just didnt do it for me. Maybe it's because I'm not a huge fan of Mace Windu, maybe it's because, in the back of my mind, I am comparing it to things like the Trawn trilogy and the Bane trilogy. For whatever reason, this was just ok in my opinion.

More specifically, I didnt feel like any of
Ethan
May 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
As a general rule, I pretty much hate the idea of media tie-in novels, and the whole franchise thing turns me off. My brother has been trying to get me to read a few of these Star Wars authors (Stackpole, Zahn) for quite a while, and I resisted since I could only imagine books populated by hack riffs on the old themes, catch phrases and rehashes of the good old days when Leia told Han she'd rather kiss a wookie...that kind of thing.

Of course, Stover wouldn't do that. This is the 4th book of his
Sara
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
A page turner for sure. This book follows Mace Windu as he searches for his former padawan, Depa Billaba, to find out what happened to her.
This was a good read, full of action and believable characters. Well written and the story was executed superbly.
Throughout the story I found myself really connecting with Mace. As the story progressed, I could feel his dispair in me. At one point I felt overwhelmed with hopelessness. A book rarely does that to me, and I was surprised. But in the end, I was
Farrell
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an almost spoiler free review! What is spoiled, is mostly revealed on the back of the book, or inside the hardcover's wrapper!

This novel centres around one of the most popular secondary characters in the Star Was Universe, Mace Windu. Part of that is how the character was written, but I am sure it has more to do the fact that it was portrayed on screen by the very talented actor, Samuel L. Jackson. As such, you can't look at the character on screen, or read about him in a book without
Joshua
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the reasons why kids aren’t reading these days is because the works they’re presenting aren’t interesting to them. Most people think a work has to be dark and brooding and labyrinthine before it can be taught in schools. But I disagree. Shatterpoint, I firmly believe, is the kind of novel that should be taught in schools. It is a story about what happens when all the protections of civilization are removed. It is a story about the horrors of war and how it makes monsters of men. And it’s ...more
Angela
Mace Windu's old padawan has got involved in a war and may have fallen to the dark side. Mace goes after her alone, to his home planet. This is 'Heart of Darkness' with a jedi twist. The journey through the jungle, looking for his elusive pupil, to the horrors of war, just pay homage to 'Heart'. This is a dark, depressing kind of book, with lots of horrible things happening. It does not glamorise war in any sense of the word. Mace's character is strongly enough written to drive the plot forward. ...more
Ron
Jan 31, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Ron by: Wendell Andrea
A good story, but poorly told. Sophomoric humor and lapses of simple grammatical standards detract from what could have been much better. It's as if Stover's target audience was thirteen-year-olds.

Having said that, Stover attempted an unblinking appraisal of the ugliness of war. While the writing soon after September 11, 2001 may have contributed to the stark lessons he conveyed, those lessons are universal.
Andrew Eckbold
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this book about ten years ago. Cant get it out of my mind though. Guess I'll go read it again.
Jared
Star Wars Legends Project #117

Background: Shatterpoint was written by Matthew Woodring Stover and published in June 2003. Stover has written three other Star Wars novels, including the adaptation of Revenge of the Sith, as well as other fantasy and science fiction works. Outside of Star Wars, he is probably best-known for his "Acts of Caine" series.

Shatterpoint takes place about 6 months after the Battle of Geonosis, 22 years before the battle of Yavin. The main character is Mace Windu, with a
Pearce
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is badly written in the same way as a lot of media tie-in novels, which makes me suspect that there is a style guide advising writers to overuse cliché phrases and to avoid pronouns etc. The writer may have set himself a challenge to use the made-up word from the title as often as possible. The story doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense (why does Depa Billaba go to so much trouble to call Mace Windu to Haruun Kal when she clearly doesn't want him there?) and the characterisations are ...more
Stanislav
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great Star Wars story. I wish I've read it in 2004 when it was published, when my passion for starwars was peaking and when the story was still canon. Still a good read though.
Shadab Siddiqi
Jul 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone wanting to know more about mace windu
Shelves: clonewars
The title of this book comes from mace windu's belief that the world is like a diamond and you must be a master craftsman to know where and when to strike at the shatter points in order to cut properly. He blames himself for not taking the head of Count Dooku when he had the chance before the massacre of jedi in the ring at Geinosis at the end of Episode II. Mace felt as if this was one shatterfpoint he missed. I like the sufi wisdom in it.

But for those of you who didn't know: Mace Windu is a
Anders
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars, sci-fi
Easily one of the best Star Wars novels I've read so far.
While Mace Windu is little more than a block of wood in the movies, this book turns him into a flawed and complicated but still insanely badass Jedi master with an interesting philosophy.
The basic plot is fairly similar to Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" (someone has gotten lost and is losing their mind in a jungle and our protagonist witnesses the madness first hand) but it actually works remarkably well in the Star Wars universe with
Christian Smith
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Story: 9/10

The Jedi's true enemy is the jungle. Our enemy is the darkness itself: the strangling cloud of fear and despair and anguish that this war brings with it. That is poisoning our galaxy. This is why my dreams of Geonosis are different now. In my dreams, I still do everything right. But I do in my dreams exactly what I did in that arena. If the prophecies are true—if Anakin Skywalker is truly the Chosen One, who will bring balance to the Force—then he is the most impor- tant being alive
Patrick
Feb 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars
Heart of Darkness Star Wars style. This book is fabulous in my opinion. Mace Windu kicks butt, and it really explores the bigger philosophical questions of justification for war, hatred through misunderstanding, and whether it was possible for the Jedi to survive the Clone War even if they had caught Palpatine and won militarily. This book makes the gap between Episode II and Episode III human and real rather than some abstract wars between droids that shoot bright lights at each other in space. ...more
Ashleen
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: adult Star Wars fans

"You should never have sent me here. And I should never have come. But what's done can never be undone. I know you think I've gone mad. I haven't. What's happened to me is worse. I've gone sane. And nothing is more dangerous than a Jedi who is finally sane."

-----
Star Wars is, without a doubt, one of the things I love most in this world. I first became enthralled by it the summer before 4th grade, after reading the movie novelization and then watching the first film. And the rest, as they say,

Corey
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Once again I'll say that I wasn't a fan of the prequel Star Wars, but Mace Windu had to be my favorite character from the prequels, aside from Darth Maul. And I'm also a die-hard Samuel L. Jackson fan, he's just AWESOME! If I remember correctly, in this book, Mace Windu is on a distant planet in search of a missing Jedi that he had trained. The storyline was interesting l, and just a fun read.

I was so sad when Darth Sidious/Palpatine kills Mace in Revenge of the Sith, I just hated him so much,
Amber
Mar 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Possibly my favorite Star Wars novel to date. Shatterpoint is far darker than the vast majority of Star Wars books I've read, showing a more realistic side of war than we generally see in this franchise.

It certainly doesn't hurt that Mace Windu is one of my favorite secondary Star Wars characters.

Basic summary:
Months into the Clone Wars, Mace Windu's fellow Council member, and former apprentice, Depa Billaba was sent to Windu's homeworld to help guerrilla forces fight off the Separatists. Her
Billy Maise
Jun 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Mace Windu is such a baller.
I was so pumped that he finally got his own book.
The fact that Windu is a cold clean killing machine whose lightsaber style (Vaapad) is like, centimeters away from the Dark Side, is just epic. He is probably my favorite Jedi of all time.
This book did an excellent job of letting you enter Mace Windu's awesome psyche. There was a lot of action, a lot of intrigue. Basically, a great Star Wars novel.
By the way, he's the only one who could pull off that purple
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book. This book deals with the hard realities of war and what it can do to the people and the planets involved.

Maybe one of the best Star Wars books I've read in my short time catching up with the EU. They usually run from cheesy to melodramatic, to fun and interesting to dull and plodding. I love the Star Wars universe and look forward to continuing to find gems like this in the haystack.
Brad
Oct 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A solid addition to the Clone Wars novels. This novel alone made me seek out more writing by Stover. His story was ever unfolding and it was hard to predict what the outcome would be at any given time. The characters were real and even the ones you'd think you wouldn't care about became emotionally bonding. Stover did a work of art in this piece.
Nicholas
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I usually don't write reviews, but this book was amazing. I have read well over a hundred star wars novels, varying in characters, time period, plot, and quality, but this was one of the best. It was a masterpiece, very thought provoking, very good imagery, incredibly developed characters, and an almost perfect plot. I definitely recommend this book, and am so glad I decided to read this book.
Bradford Combs
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was my absolute favorite Star Wars novel from the prequel era through Return of the Jedi. I love Mace Windu, and this story does his character justice. If I had to recommend a Star Wars book, it'd be this one.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Labyrinth of Evil (Star Wars: The Dark Lord Trilogy, #1)
  • Battle Surgeons (Medstar, #1)
  • Shadow Hunter
  • Star Wars: The Approaching Storm
  • Jedi Healer (Medstar, #2)
  • The Rise of Darth Vader (Star Wars: The Dark Lord Trilogy, #3)
  • Wild Space (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, #2)
  • Hard Contact (Star Wars: Republic Commando, #1)
  • Star Wars: Rogue Planet
  • Outbound Flight (Star Wars)
  • Cloak of Deception (Star Wars)
  • No Prisoners (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, #3)
  • The Clone Wars (Star Wars: Novelizations, #2.1)
  • Triple Zero  (Star Wars: Republic Commando, #2)
  • Stealth (Star Wars: Clone Wars Gambit, #1)
  • True Colors (Star Wars: Republic Commando, #3)
  • Order 66: (Star Wars: Republic Commando, #4)
  • Attack of the Clones (Star Wars: Novelizations, #2)
Matthew Woodring Stover is an American fantasy and science fiction author. He is perhaps best known for his Star Wars novels -- Traitor, Shatterpoint, Revenge of the Sith and Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor. He has also published several pieces of original work, such as Heroes Die, which Stover described as 'a piece of violent entertainment that is a meditation on violent entertainment'. ...more

Star Wars: Clone Wars (8 books)
  • Legacy of the Jedi
  • The Cestus Deception
  • The Hive (Star Wars: Clone Wars, Short Story)
  • Battle Surgeons (Medstar, #1)
  • Jedi Healer (Medstar, #2)
  • Jedi Trial
  • Yoda: Dark Rendezvous
“Jedi do not fight for peace. That's only a slogan, and is as misleading as slogans always are. Jedi fight for civilization, because only civilization creates peace. We fight for justice because justice is the fundamental bedrock of civilization: an unjust civilization is built upon sand. It does not long survive a storm.” 27 likes
“Mace flipped up a thumb. “You think being armed and ruthless means you can do whatever you want.” He folded his thumb and flipped up his forefinger. “You think nobody will stand up to you when they’re naked.” He folded that one again and flipped up the next. “And you think you’re going to look inside my bag.” 1 likes