Start by marking “Breaking Up Is Hard To Do... But You Could've Done Better” as Want to Read:
Breaking Up Is Hard To Do... But You Could've Done Better

Breaking Up Is Hard To Do... But You Could've Done Better

Anonymous break up stories from men and women, old and young, serious and silly and the cartoons that inspired them. Author and artist Hilary Campbell turns the painful into the hilarious, validating emotions from forgotten middle school tragedies to relationships that ended only hours ago.

Hilary Fitzgerald Campbell is an award-winning documentary filmmaker and cartoonist.
Published January 10th 2017 by Animal Media Group LLC

Be the first to ask a question about Breaking Up Is Hard To Do... But You Could've Done Better

Start your review of Breaking Up Is Hard To Do... But You Could've Done Better
Nat
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I had just finished listening to the first episode of Crash On My Couch by Arden Rose & Will Darbyshire, where they talked about bad first dates among many other topics, when I stumbled upon this little collection circling the subject of bad breakups. And since I loved the breakup stories in Darbyshire's This Modern Love, I was beyond ecstatic to give this one a go.

[Shai] Bibliophage
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Unexpectedly, this graphic novel is a good read and anyone can finish reading this within 10 minutes or less. There are a lot of quite amusing stories that are included in this book. If you are looking for something that will make you laugh after a break up or just want to read something that will entertain you even for a while, maybe you should give this a chance because those are the main purpose of this book.
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5/3 Stars.

This book was sort of a letdown for me . Perhaps I was expecting too much but this was just alright in my opinion. It's a book that was made with really good intentions so I find it hard to say harsh things about it. The author says she was inspired to write this book after she drew a picture about her bad breakup and it made her laugh. She thought she could help others by making them laugh and so her intention was really lovely. However, I'm not judging this book on intentions...

I
San
May 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book had such a potential topic. Who didn't go through break up or didn't at least have friend with heartbreak after a bad ending of their relationship. Some of breaks up are bad and people end up with tears. Some are so ridiculous that people don't know how to react. Some of them are pretty normal but even these one can leave unpleasant feelings. No mater which one of these it is, it's always a memory. And each memory can be a story. So I was expecting something funny that will make me smi ...more
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Oct 11, 2019 rated it liked it
The book lived up to its title. And it's a collection of total deuchbags and dramaqueens in some parts and totally understandable, weird parts as well when it comes to break ups.
I would have enjoyed the book more if more adult break-ups were included. It was more of a teen drama, first love or first relationships kind of break ups.

Some were simply hilarious. Some stories were damn bitchy and mean. Some stories unbelievable!

Thanks #NetGalley for the book
Erin
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Thanks to NETGALLEY for an uncorrected proof in exchange for an honest review.

Although some of these snippets made me giggle, the vast majority barely cracked a smile. Illustrations were good though.
Carol (Bookaria)
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2018
This is a collection of real-life breakup stories.

"This book didn't start out as a book. This started out as me crying on a freeway overpass in Brooklyn, moping around for some time, and thinking I'd better draw about this"

It contains simple drawings and blocks of text from different people sharing their breakup experiences.

Some random items that show up in the graphics are Game Boys, answering machines, and floppy discs which made me wonder about when some of these stories were collected o
Aya
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, arc, humor
Not my cup of tea. Not my kind of humor.
Such a bummer.

This is a short and quick collection of situations/stories about break-ups.. some were funny (I guess?), some were sad & sometimes it was repetitive.

I didn't think that this one is funny at all. The stories/situations were super short, which made me not able to connect to any of them.
Some illustrations were really good, and some felt just a filler and didn't have a relation to the its situation at all.

However, I see why many people would enjo
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I gather that this book was supposed to be at least mildly entertaining, and I usually love zany breakup stories, but this was just cringe-y and awful. A few stories offered up some fat-shaming and slut-shaming, and I don't think a single story brought so much as a smile to my face. I also didn't love the formatting or her bits of artwork. All in all, I feel like these stories would be more suited for a text-post-only tumblr blog or something.

Thank you to NetGalley and Animal Media Group LLC for
Sara Dahabović
I received a copy from NetGalley for an exchange of an honest review. For all bookworms out there I really recommend that if you don't have a NetGalley account that you do one right now :D

This is basically one hundred and fifty pages of funny break up stories which is exactly what I need at the moment!

After every story there's a funny illustration of it, some stories are reallyyy funny, some are okay, some are kinda weird that need more context.

But all in all, it's perfect for people going th
Hristina
I really enjoyed this collection of break-up stories and comics inspired by them. It's an easy-read, it's enjoyable, and there are a lot of laugh-out-loud moments. (view spoiler)
The artwork featured is simple but oh-so cute, and I really loved the handwritten style font used throughout, it made it feel really realistic.
This was
Fiderly
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-own
This made me laugh, quite a bit. Just a genuinely funny novel that made me reminisce on previous relationships even dating back to 6th grade when I went to hide in the bathroom while I had my best friends go tell my week old boyfriend that it was over between us. Yep that break up would have been a great addition to this book.
Sad Sunday (If I say it's bad, it's bad)
Got 'dis from NetGalley.

Well, ummm, it's like hearing your friend go over of a super nasty break-up. It's your friend, but it's a bit awkward. Nice illustrations, but some stories seem too short to make impact without more context, even if they are here to make you feel better. If you had a crazy breakup, don't worry, some people had Game Boy thrown at their head.

description
♥ Sandi ❣
3 stars

Cute, newly published, graphic book on breaking up. Each small one page story is followed by a primitive picture depicting the breakup. Typically stories range from a first grade romance up through and including a number of college debacles. A few giggles in the bunch, a few frowns and a lot of memories.

Primitive drawings that hit the essence of its accompanying story. Easily read in one sitting. A debut book for a graphic artist with her own cartoon and column. Funny and good enough to
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: challenge-2018
You ever read those articles on Facebook that are like "10 People Describe BLANK SITUATION"
This is like that, but with some pretty cool art work.
It's always interesting to read things like silly reasons one person broke up with another over.
Lin
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for something refreshing, and need a break from whatever you might be doing I highly recommend you to pick up this book. It took me 1 hour  and a half  to finish it, and it lightened up my whole day and made me laugh out-loud.

The stories that Hilary included and the art she made highlighted the comical side of the break up and I love them for how awesome they are.

Best break up lines so far

"I swear I'm really busy. I can show you my calendar if you want"

"...Jesus came to him i
catherine ♡
May 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
This was a light-hearted funny read, easy to read in one go! I did enjoy the cartoons and doodles as well. There were some stories that I was kind of meh about, and there is some fat/slut-shaming, but I do understand that these are public submissions and it was interesting to see these different stories from different perspectives. Overall it was still quite a nice read and it's perfect for when you're in the mood for an easy humorous book. ...more
Vivian
Mar 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, ng, fr, graphic-or-comic
Cute and funny.

So, I've been in a relentless spiral of depressing books, and I thought this would cheer me up--make of that what you will. But, since I haven't had a breakup recently (decades) this was amusing. All the "OUCH!" and facepalms were humorous. The artwork is definitely rough sketch quality and the stories ranged from kindergarten to adulthood. Some were egregiously bad and others were just funny, though each one left me with the "You dodged a bullet feeling". There are several confes
Mimi
Hilarious read. Very recognizable situations, a few happened to me... Yes, i have dated a few shite men...
Definately a recomended read if you just broke up, the stories in this book prove, it could have been worse. (or, at best, others had similar bad break-ups...).
Also recomended to read, if you are single. Be glad you aren't involved with any of these characters...
And last, a recommended read, if you are in a happy relationship, just to remind you, how lucky you are, finding a nice partner :)
Zöe Yu
Mar 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: american
The idea of the book is nice, but the style of writing is quite juvenile. People are expecting to read breaking up stories sometimes, but a book holding those stories should be able to sublime it to the next level, not simply telling the love - dead story in the junior high. The illustration is much more brilliant than the language.
Andrea
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Breaking up is the worst thing ever. For those who have gone through, or have seen someone else go through it, then you know this. There is a lot of screaming and crying, hurling of insults and objects which can cause damage. This is the case for most unless you are in that group of people who manage to have a calm-let- us- be- friends kind of breakup.

If that is the case then good for you. Personally I like to be a l
Ish Jones
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
This was quite humorous, reading about peoples break-up experiences almost makes me feel better about my breakups. Some stories were really funny, some just made me feel bad for the people involved. I read this in Ebook format and enjoyed the illustrations that accompanied some of the stories but the chapters weren't very clear as there is no chapter separation, or titles to easily distinguish between the different stories. Overall it was a quick enjoyable read. ...more
Rachel
*thank you to Netgalley and Animal Media Group for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

1 star.

This was so bad I don't even know why it managed to get 1 star. But it's the lowest I can rate this on here, but I reality it's 0 stars. Not even a half star really.

This clearly wasn't for me. It isn't my style of 'humor' which I'm guessing was what this was ment to be. It was not entertaining but just awful and some were hard to read and left me wondering what kind of a person would fi
Lör K.
Free copy provided by Netgalley in return for an honest review

Rating:
4 / 5

Publication Date: 10th January 2017
Review Date: 01st April 2017

This was absolutely hilarious. I’ve been going through a rough break up recently that has left me so broken I can barely carry on due to all the stress and drama he caused, but reading this has definitely helped me lift my spirits. I feel much better and much more relaxed about the break up I’ve been going through and this is definitely going to be helping me
Anna
Dec 14, 2017 added it
Shelves: comics, memoir
This is a collection of true break-up stories sent by strangers to the author. The confessionals range from a few lines to a few paragraphs, all first-person, and each illustrated by Ms. Campbell, who also illustrated FEMINIST FIGHT CLUB, by Jessica Bennett. Even the dedication cracked me up: “To that one dude, for being such an inspirational dick.”

Sample story: “I broke up with my eighth-grade girlfriend because I wanted to spend more time with my dog. The kids ridiculed me at school, but it w
Rubayet  Nusrat
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This his book was hilarious and surprisingly, made me feel better. To me, this is a weird kind of self-help book. It was a light read, the stores were funny but overall I was surprised to see how relationships can go wrong, with so many people.
I don't know why but I feel good and relieved after reading this. The book comes with bite-sized real-life breakup stories accompanied by cartoons. The cartoons are the fun part. Thanks to the writer for writing this book. Really lucky to receive the arc
shannon✨
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a free copy via Netgalley in exchange for my honest review

I did enjoy this book and the illustrations were really simple, yet entertaining and beautiful. This book is a collection of break up stories. However, those stories were so short that it felt more like break up confessions. Some were funny and made me laugh out loud, some really made me cringe, and some made me feel so awkward. All in all, the stories are really short but I enjoyed them and the illustrations are beautiful.
Joana Essex mua
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, humor, comics
Everybody at some point in life had a bad break up. This book is a compilation of bad break ups. It is so good... it is amazing how a bad situation becomes so comic.
I didn’t like the cover much.
However, loved the title. This title is the reason i asked for the book. Also the drawings are really good.
And of course... to whom this book is dedicated..... to ‘the guy’.

The book worm
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
This was really short and some stories were funny.
The pictures were okay, but I kind of expected more of it.
Kelly Long
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, nonfiction
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for providing this book in exchange for an honest review.
Overall, this book was not as funny as I had expected. There were a few stories that made me chuckle but not many.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Lies We Tell Our Kids
  • A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities
  • The Escape Manual for Introverts
  • The Avant-Guards, Vol. 1
  • Shine your Icy Crown (You Are Your Own Fairy Tale, #2)
  • Bitter Sweet Love
  • The Black Mage
  • Les Filles de Salem : Comment nous avons condamné nos enfants
  • Book Love
  • Love Looks Pretty on You
  • Commute: An Illustrated Memoir of Female Shame
  • The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #3)
  • I'll Be OK, It's Just a Hole In My Head