Start by marking “100 Tricks to Appear Smart in Meetings: How to Get By Without Even Trying” as Want to Read:
100 Tricks to Appear Smart in Meetings: How to Get By Without Even Trying

Read Book* *Different edition

100 Tricks to Appear Smart in Meetings: How to Get By Without Even Trying

Funny because it's true.  From the creator of the viral sensation "10 Tricks to Appear Smart in Meetings" (5+ million views and hundreds of thousands of shares) comes the must-have book you never knew you needed, 100 Tricks to Appear Smart in Meetings.  In it, you will learn how to appear smart in less than half the time it takes to actually learn anything.

You know those s
Published October 4th 2016 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about 100 Tricks to Appear Smart in Meetings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Tricks to Appear Smart in Meetings

Start your review of 100 Tricks to Appear Smart in Meetings: How to Get By Without Even Trying
Anusha Narasimhan
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-giveaways
This book is a sarcastic take on how people act during meetings to appear smart. There are a few people in every company who take things at face value and there are people who exploit this trait. I have seen a couple of these tips in action and while the person who is putting up the show is proud of themselves, everyone else (or at least most of us) knows that they are faking it. I think most people in a corporate environment will be able to relate to this book to an extent.

I liked this book fro
Efflorescence
Thanks to Netgalley and Andrews McMeel Publishing for providing the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This book was hilarious. Really, really funny.
I have to admit I was a bit confused with all these numbers. The title says 100 tricks to appear smart in meetings, but there were definitely more numbers in this book than 100, because many chapters were also subdivided. But in the end I just decided to trust the author and the publisher and I am sure that there are at least 100 tricks in this bo
Scarlet Cameo
OMG! This book is a freaking serious joke. If you ever worked in a place where you must have meetings, not just informal reunions, i mean the ones where you go to "listen" and porpouse serious things and you "must" pay attention. Well, if this is you case maybe this book can give you some tricks to look a little more important in front of your co-works or send you to the spotlight. Even more, some of the things that Cooper mentioned in fact happen at reunions, and are doing for the bosses, so yo ...more
Sebastian Gebski
Disclaimer: this is NOT a serious self-help book, but a hilarious satire created by the professional comedian.

I took it for a spin while running, following the recommendation of a friend. And it was a spot on. The book is very amusing in a non-forceful, natural & smart way. But. At some point it gets ... scary. It happens when you realize that however funny it sounds, there are literally people doing this exact stuff & getting away with it (while appearing smart, professional, knowledgeable). I'
Michael Sellars
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
I picked this up after seeing Sarah Cooper's wonderful Trumptriloquism videos on Twitter. Unsurprisingly, this is a very funny book. But, surprisingly, it's actually quite useful too, particularly if you work in the kind of corporate environment it's dealing with. You'll almost certainly recognise some of your colleagues' behaviours, and you'll definitely come away with at least one or two things you're going to try at the next meeting. Once this Covid situation is over (if it ever is) and I att ...more
Taryn
No one pays attention in meetings. So, to get ahead, you need to not pay attention better than everyone else.

If you've ever worked in a corporate environment, you'll be able to relate to this book. Cooper's observations are hilarious and spot-on! If you haven't noticed your coworker's meeting habits before, you'll definitely see their behavior in a different light by the end of the book!

Sarah Cooper is the writer behind the satirical blog The Cooper Review. I love her sense of humor! This bo
Garen Glazier
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.

Sarah Cooper will take you from bored corporate cog
 photo giphy2_zpsjm33o03c.gif
to the bossest boss,
 photo giphy1_zpsckw3oafl.gif
and all it takes is putting her wickedly insightful 100 Tricks into practice.

Not sure how to make the best conference room entrance so people won't even question your commitment to the agenda? Wondering how to ace the big presentation even if all you did last week was binge watch cats on YouTube? Or curious what faces you should make during important d
Bill
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny, depressing, and infuriating at the same time. I found myself realizing how many of these techniques are used by people who drive me crazy (or, have driven me crazy throughout my career.) Then I realized that I've *done* some of these things. Then I realized that an evil part of my brain is taking notes and remembering some of these techniques. A very solid and entertaining book, but there's some filler in here and an occasionally inconsistent level of humor and bitterness.
Iniya
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, humor
Funny but true. I was laughing out loud from the start to end of the book. I wish I could give a copy this book to each one on my team.
Charlie
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me an embarrassingly long time to realise that this book was being more humorous than serious! It's awesome and hits a little close to home as I've done at least half the things in this book.
Jeffrey
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sarah Cooper’s blog is the friend that gets the fact that your average workday is full of ridiculous events that are almost impossible to describe. Her new book is the friend that stops by with snacks, and sits on the couch while the two of you make fun of a DVD recording of your average workday.

I have a free pre-publication PDF copy of the book, but am buying the hardcopy just for the ability to flip through at random. Like a favorite television show in syndication, you can jump into the book a
chantel nouseforaname
The absolute dumbest thing I've ever read! LOL! Read this on the way to work this morning and was like who the fuck could get away with any of this!?!? I know! Picture: entitled, white male venture capitalists or silicon valley tech bros. I think that's who Sarah Cooper wrote this for. It's definitely not my style of humour, but you can tell that this is obviously a book just intended to make you laugh! File under: mindless, ridiculous, entitled humour.
Adna
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Adna by: HooplaDigital.com
Shelves: business-world
I enjoyed all of the silliness and sarcasm infused pages.
Jill Broderick
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious

Definitely a welcome read for anyone looking for a quick laugh about corporate America! Highly recommended, great gift for friends!
Sasha Boersma
So funny because have seen/experienced most of these. And am intentionally guilty of a few myself 😳

Fun satirical read for those stuck in the corporate or startup world of meetings.

Pooja
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic
I want to be invited to 100 meetings to try each of these tricks! I had fun reading this book and sharing the tricks with my friends.
Wayne McCoy
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'100 Tricks to Appear Smart in Meetings: How to Get By Without Even Trying' by Sarah Cooper is a humorous how to guide that will probably not make you look that smart.

Corporate meetings are often the bane of corporate life. Some meetings are productive, most feel like a waste of time. Fear not, because this book will attempt to help you climb the corporate ladder through meetings with co-workers. With chapter titles like Whiteboard Tactics: 21 Meaningless Diagrams You Can Draw, and How To Make Y
Yousif Al Zeera
Sarah Cooper has impressed again. Following her humorous (and serious) blog, she showcases 100 (easy) tricks to appear smart. You may stand out as irritating in some of these tricks but your leadership skills will never be in doubt.

Her wit in spotting influential tricks in a humorous way is really admirable. It makes her writings have the unique characteristic of naturally uniting two opposites (seriousness and humorousness) at the same time to result in a book that is humorously serious or seri
Georgette
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I'm not sure if another other book made me simultaneously cry with laughter and despair. Or if any other book can be hilarious and depressing at the same time. If you've been to enough meetings, you'll recognise These People. If you don't, you're probably it.

A great use for this book is to bring it to every meeting with your and write down the name of the colleague or manager who exhibits the behavior. Or check it off when you pull that line on everyone else. Just try not to get fired.

There's e
Preeti
Oct 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, humor
I came across Sarah Cooper at some point on Twitter from someone sharing one of her blog posts which was essentially an excerpt of some of the illustrations in this book. The book is basically a sarcastic guide to navigating meetings, which are unfortunately, as most people who've worked in office jobs know, useless.

I found it an amusing book, with a couple of good laughs, but some parts were better than others; a decent amount of material fell flat for me. I also think it would make much more s
Yale Reardon
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious satire.

If you’ve worked in a start up a job with frequent meetings, you’ll laugh out loud at nearly every tip. Most of these hit very close to home.

Yale Reardon
Christopher Kokoski
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wickedly Delightful

Let me begin by saying this is a humor book. Probably the best (and most ironic) way to enjoy it is to start an office book club. Each page is hilarious, filled with satirical advice that triggered more than one embarrassing public guffaw.

It covers everything from facial expressions, meetings, in between meetings, networking, business dinners and "advanced" meeting tactics to get promoted (or fired).

While it's a bit short and pricey for the length of content, the book deliv
Carolyn
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are like me, work meetings make you cringe. If you need an outlet for a good laugh about work meetings, this is the book for you!

Quick, sarcastic tips on each page. You find yourself realizing who pull some of these shenanigans (knowingly or unknowingly) in meetings you attend.

My boss, Matt Bilitz, is a felon of many of these!

#4 - Nod continuously while pretending to take notes
#33 - Sit next to the person leading the meeting
#39 - When someone asks a question, look at the person who you t
Sleepless Dreamer
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like past me would have been upset by how relatable this book was to me.

Honestly, this is a helpful book. Like comedy aside, some of the tips here are legitimately good. Can't believe I've never thought about seat swaps. Or just being active in the workplace.

All in all, my office time is close to ending and I can't wait. I'll probably be back but still.

what I'm taking with me
• I'm such an "email me" person.
• God, I hate when people pretend to be busy.
• Why do people put themselves
Dan
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun tongue in cheek look at meetings and some of the things we all wish we could get away with doing. Worth a quick read if you can borrow a copy like I did. Otherwise, I’d just head to the author’s website, where it seems most of the content originated.
Annika
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Echoes what most of us think about most meetings

This book highlights what is wrong with most meetings with an intelligent and satirical perspective. It is for anyone who has had to sit through a meeting and wondered what they were doing there. A most entertaining work.
TDCbookreviews
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is hilarious, but definitely not anything you would want to do in meetings. I couldn't help looking at my co-workers and really noticing who was paying attention and who was not.
Alexis
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In a nutshell: Your ultimate meeting playbook... kinda.

Notes: I'm a big fan of Sarah Cooper... and if you are, you'll love this book.
Lasse Olsen
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Essential reading for any consultant
Diana
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HILARIOUS! Such a delightful take on the sometimes cut-throat business world. Very well done, smart, and witty to boot!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Our Time Is Now: Power, Purpose, and the Fight for a Fair America
  • Software Engineering at Google: Lessons Learned from Programming Over Time
  • Ambiguity Machines and Other Stories
  • The Power of Self-Compassion
  • The Future Is Faster Than You Think: How Converging Technologies Are Transforming Business, Industries, and Our Lives
  • The Physicians of Vilnoc (Penric and Desdemona, #8)
  • Queen's Peril (Star Wars)
  • I Will Judge You by Your Bookshelf
  • But Like Maybe Don't?: What Not to Do When Dating: An Illustrated Guide
  • Bubbles A Broad (Bubbles Yablonsky, #4)
  • Bubbles Ablaze (Bubbles Yablonsky, #3)
  • Bubbles Unbound (Bubbles Yablonsky, #1)
  • Bubbles In Trouble (Bubbles Yablonsky, #2)
  • This is Your Brain on Anxiety; What Happens and What Helps
  • Geo-Graphic Europe
  • Under the Rainbow
  • Crisis Economics: A Crash Course in the Future of Finance
  • Surviving Mold: Life in the Era of Dangerous Buildings
Sarah Cooper is a writer, comedian, speaker and author of the bestselling book, 100 Tricks to Appear Smart in Meetings. She built her comedy career in between working as a user experience designer for companies like Yahoo! and Google, where she was fed free lunches and lots of material. She is the creator of satirical blog TheCooperReview.com, which has been viewed by millions around the world and ...more

News & Interviews