Start by marking “100 Tricks to Appear Smart in Meetings: How to Get By Without Even Trying” as Want to Read:
100 Tricks to Appear Smart in Meetings: How to Get By Without Even Trying

Read Book* *Different edition

100 Tricks to Appear Smart in Meetings: How to Get By Without Even Trying

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  682 ratings  ·  156 reviews
Funny because it's true.  From the creator of the viral sensation "10 Tricks to Appear Smart in Meetings" (5+ million views and hundreds of thousands of shares) comes the must-have book you never knew you needed, 100 Tricks to Appear Smart in Meetings.  In it, you will learn how to appear smart in less than half the time it takes to actually learn anything.

You know those s
Published October 4th 2016 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about 100 Tricks to Appear Smart in Meetings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Tricks to Appear Smart in Meetings

really liked it 4.00  ·

Anusha Narasimhan
This book is a sarcastic take on how people act during meetings to appear smart. It is funny because it is true. There are a few people in every company who take things at face value and there are people who exploit this trait. I have seen a couple of these tips in action and while the person who is putting up the show is proud of themselves, everyone else (or at least most of us) knows that they are faking it. Hence, I was able to relate to this book to an extent.

I liked this book from the very
Efflorescence
Thanks to Netgalley and Andrews McMeel Publishing for providing the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This book was hilarious. Really, really funny.
I have to admit I was a bit confused with all these numbers. The title says 100 tricks to appear smart in meetings, but there were definitely more numbers in this book than 100, because many chapters were also subdivided. But in the end I just decided to trust the author and the publisher and I am sure that there are at least 100 tricks in this bo
Garen Glazier
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.

Sarah Cooper will take you from bored corporate cog
 photo giphy2_zpsjm33o03c.gif
to the bossest boss,
 photo giphy1_zpsckw3oafl.gif
and all it takes is putting her wickedly insightful 100 Tricks into practice.

Not sure how to make the best conference room entrance so people won't even question your commitment to the agenda? Wondering how to ace the big presentation even if all you did last week was binge watch cats on YouTube? Or curious what faces you should make during important discuss
Charlie
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me an embarrassingly long time to realise that this book was being more humorous than serious! It's awesome and hits a little close to home as I've done at least half the things in this book.
Iniya
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, humor
Funny but true. I was laughing out loud from the start to end of the book. I wish I could give a copy this book to each one on my team.
Bill
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny, depressing, and infuriating at the same time. I found myself realizing how many of these techniques are used by people who drive me crazy (or, have driven me crazy throughout my career.) Then I realized that I've *done* some of these things. Then I realized that an evil part of my brain is taking notes and remembering some of these techniques. A very solid and entertaining book, but there's some filler in here and an occasionally inconsistent level of humor and bitterness.
Taryn
No one pays attention in meetings. So, to get ahead, you need to not pay attention better than everyone else.

If you've ever worked in a corporate environment, you'll be able to relate to this book. Cooper's observations are hilarious and spot-on! If you haven't noticed your coworker's meeting habits before, you'll definitely see their behavior in a different light by the end of the book!

Sarah Cooper is the writer behind the satirical blog The Cooper Review. I love her sense of humor! This book
Jeffrey
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sarah Cooper’s blog is the friend that gets the fact that your average workday is full of ridiculous events that are almost impossible to describe. Her new book is the friend that stops by with snacks, and sits on the couch while the two of you make fun of a DVD recording of your average workday.

I have a free pre-publication PDF copy of the book, but am buying the hardcopy just for the ability to flip through at random. Like a favorite television show in syndication, you can jump into the book a
Wayne McCoy
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'100 Tricks to Appear Smart in Meetings: How to Get By Without Even Trying' by Sarah Cooper is a humorous how to guide that will probably not make you look that smart.

Corporate meetings are often the bane of corporate life. Some meetings are productive, most feel like a waste of time. Fear not, because this book will attempt to help you climb the corporate ladder through meetings with co-workers. With chapter titles like Whiteboard Tactics: 21 Meaningless Diagrams You Can Draw, and How To Make Y
chantel nouseforaname
The absolute dumbest thing I've ever read! LOL! Read this on the way to work this morning and was like who the fuck could get away with any of this!?!? I know! Picture: entitled, white male venture capitalists or silicon valley tech bros. I think that's who Sarah Cooper wrote this for. It's definitely not my style of humour, but you can tell that this is obviously a book just intended to make you laugh! File under: mindless, ridiculous, entitled humour.
verbava
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
це, мабуть, сатира. щось середнє між «шкідливими порадами» для офісних працівників і чек-лістом «100 ознак того, що ваш колега – не дуже, так би мовити, хороша людина».

і воно, мабуть, добре працювало як стаття, бо на статтю тут гумору достатньо.
Adna
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Adna by: HooplaDigital.com
Shelves: business-world
I enjoyed all of the silliness and sarcasm infused pages.
Georgette
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I'm not sure if another other book made me simultaneously cry with laughter and despair. Or if any other book can be hilarious and depressing at the same time. If you've been to enough meetings, you'll recognise These People. If you don't, you're probably it.

A great use for this book is to bring it to every meeting with your and write down the name of the colleague or manager who exhibits the behavior. Or check it off when you pull that line on everyone else. Just try not to get fired.

There's e
Preeti
Oct 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, humor
I came across Sarah Cooper at some point on Twitter from someone sharing one of her blog posts which was essentially an excerpt of some of the illustrations in this book. The book is basically a sarcastic guide to navigating meetings, which are unfortunately, as most people who've worked in office jobs know, useless.

I found it an amusing book, with a couple of good laughs, but some parts were better than others; a decent amount of material fell flat for me. I also think it would make much more s
Christopher Kokoski
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wickedly Delightful

Let me begin by saying this is a humor book. Probably the best (and most ironic) way to enjoy it is to start an office book club. Each page is hilarious, filled with satirical advice that triggered more than one embarrassing public guffaw.

It covers everything from facial expressions, meetings, in between meetings, networking, business dinners and "advanced" meeting tactics to get promoted (or fired).

While it's a bit short and pricey for the length of content, the book deliv
Matt Sevely
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you work in a corporate environment you will definitely love that book. It is a really light read, , about 2 hours but what a blast. Couldn't handle the laughter while commuting. You will probably do many of those unconsciously at work. Sarah Cooper is deliciously hilarious. 5 stars well deserved, recommended 100%.
TDCbookreviews
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is hilarious, but definitely not anything you would want to do in meetings. I couldn't help looking at my co-workers and really noticing who was paying attention and who was not.
Alexis
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In a nutshell: Your ultimate meeting playbook... kinda.

Notes: I'm a big fan of Sarah Cooper... and if you are, you'll love this book.
Sleepless
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like past me would have been upset by how relatable this book was to me.

Honestly, this is a helpful book. Like comedy aside, some of the tips here are legitimately good. Can't believe I've never thought about seat swaps. Or just being active in the workplace.

All in all, my office time is close to ending and I can't wait. I'll probably be back but still.

what I'm taking with me
• I'm such an "email me" person.
• God, I hate when people pretend to be busy.
• Why do people put themselves
Lastoadri
Funny at the beginning, boring as you go along.
Kristy
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a quick and hilarious read
Saurabh Kumar
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a light and fun read, and makes you think of people who actually used some of the tactics during meetings!
Henrik Warne
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely hilarious! For example, say "Guys, guys, guys, can we take a step back here? What problem are we really trying to solve?". What makes it so funny is that the tips are clearly just gimmicky and lacking any real meaning, but at the same time you can easily imagine that they would be used in real meetings. Really clever!
It's a short little book, with one tip and an illustration per page, almost like a cartoon. I read through it in an hour and a half, laughing out aloud many times. Would
Barbora
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant and spot-on! This book cracked me up but also nicely captured some very typical behaviour and patterns that people who work in larger companies will definitely recognise. Great entertainment value and some good points to take away as well!
Kristen McBee
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-prose
Spit-out-my-coffee hilarious. I’m even using her examples in a meeting to talk about how we need to have fewer and more productive meetings. 🙌🏻

I found this in the Georgia Tech Alumni magazine and immediately bought it. Way to go, Sarah, and Go Jackets!
Lasse Olsen
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Essential reading for any consultant
Woncheol Kwak
[Week 11 of the year; th book in 2017]
Of course these tricks are all satirical jokes - reading this book and the pics, you will be able to remind yourself of someone(s) at your workplace. Those wanna-smart-looking idiots who adds no value to your or anyone's work. No she doesn't mean it. They won't be promoted, if at least you're working in a decent company. If they do, think seriously about getting out of that studpid company which will only drag your career.
If you're a non-native English spea
Elizabeth Coates
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, non-fiction
This book was HILARIOUS! I almost died laughing. It's so true. Everyone has been in meetings where people acted like this. Would recommend to anyone who works in an office.
Jim
Sarah Cooper is a business genius. I can only guess that it's out of the kindness of her heart that she's sharing this information with people at the minimal cost of this book instead of charging $500 a head at a seminar. This stuff is invaluable!

And it works! I've sat through many, many meetings with directors, presidents, and generals, and looking back on them, it was these intelligent folk who actually used these methods!

Pacing the room is a sign a leader is thinking really hard.

Asking peo
Pim
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is crazy hilarious.
  • Breaking Through Bias: Communication Techniques for Women to Succeed at Work
  • The Ladybird Book of the Meeting (Ladybirds for Grown-Ups)
  • Tomorrow: Adventures in an Uncertain World
  • His Pirate Seductress (Love on the High Seas, #3)
  • Cat Knit
  • The Kindaichi Case Files, Vol. 5: The Treasure Isle
  • Godzilla on My Mind: Fifty Years of the King of Monsters
  • Thermae Romae, Tome 1
  • Pirate Heiress
  • Pregnesia (Recovery Men, #3)
  • The Names Upon The Harp: Irish Myth And Legend
  • The Father Christmas Letters
  • The Most Unlikely Lady (Brethren Of The Coast, #3)
  • A Game of Scandal (Friends Trilogy, #2)
  • Gambled Away: A Historical Anthology
  • Lord of the Sea (Heroes of the Sea, #6)
  • The Water Nymph (Arboretti Family, #2)
  • The Captain's Rebel (Irish Heroines #1)
Sarah Cooper is a writer, comedian, speaker and author of the bestselling book, 100 Tricks to Appear Smart in Meetings. She built her comedy career in between working as a user experience designer for companies like Yahoo! and Google, where she was fed free lunches and lots of material. She is the creator of satirical blog TheCooperReview.com, which has been viewed by millions around the world and ...more