Start by marking “The Inevitable Collision of Birdie & Bash” as Want to Read:
The Inevitable Collision of Birdie & Bash

The Inevitable Collision of Birdie & Bash

Birdie never meant to be at the party. Bash should have been long gone. But when they meet, a collision course is set off they may never recover from.

Sebastian Alvaréz is just trying to hold the pieces together: to not flunk out, to keep his sort-of-best friend Wild Kyle from doing something really bad, and to see his beloved Ma through chemo. But when he meets Birdie Paxt
Published July 25th 2017 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about The Inevitable Collision of Birdie & Bash, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Inevitable Collision of Birdie & Bash

TL
Sep 18, 2017 marked it as dnf
I received this via Goodreads Giveaways in exchange for an honest review. All my opinions are my own:).
----

I really hate DNFing books I've won but in this case, I couldn't stand the two main characters... the only ones I felt anything for was Bash's mom and Birdie's little brother but even they couldn't save this for me.

The writing wasn't bad, it kept my attention but, well... *points above and shrugs*

Lots of people loved this so give it a shot if it interests you still... I wish you happy read
YA Wednesdays
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Full review on YAWednesdays.

Oh man, oh man, oh man...is this book on everyone's TBR?!?

TLDR: Obviously, this is a book that Candace poured her heart and soul into. You can feel the raw emotion of every nuance of this book bleeding onto every page. One part The Sky Is Everywhere with shades of I'll Meet You There and The Sun Is Also a Star, this is a near-perfect contemporary that will be the perfect summer beach read.

The full, gushing review is up on YAWednesdays.
Olivia (The Candid Cover)
I am not usually one for super tragic books, but The Inevitable Collision of Birdie & Bash drew me in. It tells the story of two people linked by tragedy, though one of them doesn’t know it. One of the main characters, Birdie, is so intelligent, and the author’s writing is whip-smart. However, it is a good idea to have some tissues nearby because this book is an emotional rollercoaster.

This book’s concept really intrigued me. Basically Bash, and his friend are in the car that runs over Birdi
Patty Blount
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm proud to tell you I read and provided a quote for this novel. Tight writing, vividly portrayed characters, and a plot so poignant, it'll stick with you long after you close the book, BIRDIE & BASH is a smart debut that needs to be on top of your reading pile. I think fans of John Greene's ABUNDANCE OF KATHERINES will enjoy this story. I know I did.
"There are moments in life, vivid ones splashed onto blank canvas, that hang in front of you, swing like a pendulum you can't grasp. But you reach, eyes wide open, because if you close them, everything changes. So fast."

"Some of those collisions, like love, or whatever that means, are inevitable, no matter what you do to stop it. I can only hope it won't hurt too bad."

"There are so many variables in everyday life, things I don't always notice at first that can change the outcome dramatically. Th
Meg - A Bookish Affair
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, fiction, young-adult
In "The Inevitable Collision of Birdie and Bash," Birdie and Bash meet at a party. Birdie isn't supposed to be at the party. Bash is trying to escape from everything else in his life by going to the party. Bash is trying to do the same. At the time, neither of them can imagine the inextricable ways that their lives will be tied forever more.

On its surface, this book seems like fun romp but it is so much more than that. This book is filled with a lot of drama and questions about whether its bett
Ms. Yingling
Wow. NOT a middle grade book! I think the descriptions of this should include the fact that it's got REALLY raunchy language. While I appreciate that this occurred on the very first page, the cartoon cover lead me to think it was more of a MG than YA book. Will NOT purchase anything with the f-word in it for my grade 6-8 readers. I was looking forward to this one, darn it.
K.M. Walton
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read and blurb this debut novel, emphasis on the lucky. The characters of Birdie and Bash stuck with me long after I finished reading - the sign of an excellent read. Candace Granger is one talented writer. Add it to your TBR pile now.
Kim
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thrilled to have had the opportunity to read this book already. I devoured it in one sitting because I couldn't pull myself away from these richly crafted characters. The plot and writing reeled me in then refused to let me go. This debut is a stunner. Add it to your must read list now!
Luanne Ollivier
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I always have one YA book tapped to be my companion at the beach for a day in the summer. Candace Ganger's debut novel, The Inevitable Collison of Birdie and Bash was that book.

Birdie and Sebastian (Bash) meet at a party. There's interest on both sides, but nothing happens that night. Well, nothing between the two of them. But something does happen that will change both their lives.... The reader knows what has transpired and can only be a silent witness as events unfold. The pair meet again and
Jeimy
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved reading this heartbreaking book. Both Birdie and Bash are grieving. They meet at a party and were attracted to one another, but that encounter was cut short. Bash is a junkie and an alcoholic who uses these drugs to dull the ache caused by his mother's impending death due to cancer. One night after binging, Bash lets his friend drive and they run over Birdie's brother. Not knowing what they hit and afraid of the legal consequences, they flee the scene.

This was a tough book to read—it is
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
Aug 25, 2017 marked it as abandoned
Shelves: arc
I read 75 pages and so much about The Inevitable Collision of Birdie and Bash rubbed me the wrong way. The way Bash describes Birdie when he meets her, him staring at her for literally an entire 3-4 minute song like a creep and yet she isn't creeped out, the way Birdie calls a girl named Stacey "Fat Stac(k)" in her head just because Stacey's shitty friends came up with the nickname, the dialogue Birdie and Bash exchange,...

This book isn't for me and that's okay.

Cool diversity note: Bash and his
Stephanie Elliot
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with Bash. He is a broken boy who has had a hard life and his mom is dying of cancer. When he meets Birdie after a terrible tragedy, he tries to keep away from her but, just like chemistry, their components keep bringing them together. This book is heartbreaking and sad, it's definitely a hard read, but so very worth it. You may cry, you will laugh, and you will root for a happy ending! Some books I read and can't remember the characters the next day. Birdie and Bash will be in my ...more
Kelly
This was slow going until about page 100. I didn't particularly find myself interested in either character. Not bad, but definitely not for me. It's a romance built upon tragedy, with two families who are struggling with death and destruction, along with financial woes (which was refreshing, though it made Kyle, the rich kid, much more of a stereotype than a fully-fleshed character, and he needed much more depth to make the impact of his part of this greater). Birdie's chapters with the attempt ...more
Katherine
I received an advanced copy of this book from a Goodreads giveaway in exchange for an honest review. Many thanks!!!

I'm going to have to agree with another reviewer when they said that they had never read about two more reprehensible characters before. And while I wouldn't go that fare, Birdie and Bash certainly rank up there in terms of unlikability.

If I could compare what this book was trying to be, I would say that this book was trying to be John Green mashed up with Eleanor & Park with a
Lucy
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great characters

Loved this book and couldn’t put it down. I felt for all of the characters in this book, the main two were exceptional but the rest of the cast was heart-warming and full of life as well. A very easy, well-written and enjoyable read.
Sophia
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was my most anticipated read of July 2017. Thank you to St. Martin's Griffin for sending me an ARC! I am so thankful for the opportunity to read this book earlier, and therefore review it for you (my fabulous readers). This is a Young-Adult Fiction novel, centering around our two main characters, Birdie and Bash. Birdie is the nerd, interested in entering the medical field (if she wasn't a fictional character, I hope she would read www.futuremedicalleaders.com ) ;). Bash is just trying ...more
Rachel
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
From its title, THE INEVITABLE COLLISION OF BIRDIE & BASH may lead one to believe it’s a lighthearted story about two young people who are destined to meet. Perhaps in some chaotic or bizarrely funny way. But while destiny and chaos may play a part in this story, the events that bring Birdie and Bash together are anything but light or fun.

Theirs is a story that is devastatingly heartbreaking, incredibly moving, achingly hopeful. Their lives are consumed by pain, tragedy, and loss. But their
 wade
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
A young adult novel about a pair of teens, one boy and one girl both dealing with family members with severe health issues. Bash's, (the boy) mother has advanced cancer and Birdie's (the girl) younger sister is in a coma at a local hospital. The two meet at a party and over the course of the book have an up and down relationship until the finale. They are not perfect kids. In fact they would not have been my friends. Bash is kind of a jerk and his best friend Kyle is even worse. Most teenagers ...more
Anita O'brien
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m an emotional wreck right now, having just finished this book. The beginning was painful to read with such seriously bad things happening to both main characters but wow, the second half was amazing and ended with such a powerful, feel-good, punch in the gut. I loved everyone in this book, all the characters except for Wild Kyle and would love to read another book by this author again. Once I clear the tears from my eyes.
Kerry Bush
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful book! It reminded me very much of John Green's works, which are among my favorite YA literature. Highly recommended!
Jeanmarie
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh man oh man oh man. This is an epic love story at its finest. One of my favorites of all time, for sure.
Haley Isabella  BellaTheBibliophile
I absolutely loved this book, it was an emotional roller-coaster read for me but it was exactly what I needed at the time.

See my full review here ; http://bellathebibliophile.blogspot.c...
Charlotte
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I don't want to be TOO hard on this book since it did hold my attention and stir some emotions in me. But I also have some issues with it. It tried really hard to use science as an analogy for love. But all the talk of chemical reactions and equations missed the mark in my opinion. In the same vein, I didn't believe Birdie as a nerd. It was only on the surface - glasses, a math t-shirt, good grades. I didn't buy it. It also didn't feel realistic that a minor was living on his own with no money, ...more
Dory
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
There is no book better to pull you out of a reading slump than one that will move you, break you and inspire hope. The Inevitable Collision Of Birdie & Bash did just that to me, marking the beginning of a great summer with this fabulous read. However, with character to watch as they go through trauma and a slow burning but glorious romance, the beginning failed to intrigue me and keep me reading.  Lucky for me it was the only book I had for a long car ride, so I pushed myself through those ...more
Samantha
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Inevitable Collision of Birdie & Bash took me by surprise in the best of ways. This cute, shockingly deep contemporary is the epitome of not judging a book by its cover. You look at the pretty swirls, the bright red and purple, and the roller skates, and you think it's just another sugary contemporary - oh how wrong you are.

This book leads you in through a double-helix spiral. It is an emotional roller coaster that shakes, turns, and spins you out of sorts in the best way possible. The I
Ellen
Apr 07, 2017 rated it liked it
First two chapters are really rough, but if you can power through that, it's a good story.

I received this ARC from the publisher.
Sara
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Birdie and Bash meet at a party on a night that will change both of their lives -- not because of their meeting, but because of the tragedy that befalls them later that night. Although both are dealing with their own separate problems, fate seems to be throwing them together. With everything stacking up against them, can they overcome all the obstacles they face and be happy together?

So, first off, we all know that we’re not supposed to judge a book by its cover. I judged this book by its cover
Janenne Chambers
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
On a warm September day I driving back home from college, opened the front door, and at that moment the phone started ringing. It was a green dialer, long cord and mounted on a wall. If you lived in the late 70's you know that phone. I answered it and on the other end a girl was crying. She asked for my mom. Mom was part of a church prayer chain. Old church ladies called our house all of the time. But never a girl and never crying.
Mom came to the phone and was very concerned, very sympathetic.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Finding Freia Lockhart
  • Woven in Moonlight
  • The Art of Feeling
  • Night of the Living Cuddle Bunnies
  • While You're Away (While You're Away, #1)
  • How to Be Brave
Candace Ganger is a mother, blogger, contributing writer for sites like Teen Vogue, TWLOHA, Bustle, Romper, XO Jane & Hello Giggles. She’s also an obsessive marathoner and continual worrier (yay!). Her debut YA novel, THE INEVITABLE COLLISION OF BIRDIE & BASH, is out now via St. Martin’s Griffin, and she’s part of a YA mental health anthology, LIFE INSIDE MY MIND, out April 10th, 2018 via ...more
“Release the negative. Live and let die. Throw caution to the wind. Be the best you you can be. Have it your way. Because you’re worth it.” 0 likes