Start by marking “Deacon Locke Went to Prom” as Want to Read:
Deacon Locke Went to Prom

Deacon Locke Went to Prom

Promposals are taking over Deacon Locke’s high school and there is no place left to hide. But even with graduation looming, shy and unusually tall Deacon doesn’t think he can get up the nerve to ask anyone to the dance. Especially given all the theatrics.

It isn’t until Deacon confides in his witty and outgoing best friend Jean that he realizes she could be a gr
Published May 9th 2017 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Deacon Locke Went to Prom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deacon Locke Went to Prom

“Like the universe, my future is limitless. And like the universe, my future is mostly uncharted and kind of scary.”

This was a YA contemporary story about a boy who took his grandmother to prom.

Deacon was an okay character, he wasn’t very confident when it came to girls and I understood how nervous he got when it came to asking one to prom.

The storyline in this was about Deacon taking his Grandma to prom because she missed her ownEdelweiss.)
Lucy (That Book Gal)
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Before this book, I had never heard of Brian Katcher. And honestly? I feel like his book must be ridiculously underrated. This book, at first, comes across as if it will be some funny story of a teen boy going to his first prom. While it is that, it's also a lot more than that.
I really want to talk about the Muslim love interest, Soraya who I loved and is a TOTAL badass, but I've decided not to say a ton, just because of some backlash and accusations I've received on Twitter for stating opinion
Jennie
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
You know, even when you consider an author your friend, and you both write for the same website, you just don't read a book and expect to see your name--and the names of other FYA ladies--used for exuberant internet commenters. :D

This is a cute story about an awkward high schooler who takes his grandmother to prom, gets the courage to go out with someone closer to his own age, and stumbles into accidental fame. Katcher's sense of humor is the best part about this book, especially in
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Jennie
Cover Story: Puttin’ On The Ritz
BFF Charm: Let Me Love You
Swoonworthy Scale: 5
Talky Talk: I Came, I Danced, I Went Viral
Bonus Factors: Kick-Ass Gram, Internet Fame
Relationship Status: Drinking Buddy

Read the full book report here.
Karla Mae (Reads and Thoughts)
*ARC Kindly provided by Katherine Tegen Books thru Edelweiss for review*

Deacon Locke is probably one of the awkward-est but cutest characters I’ve ever encountered and his story is as well one of the cutest & simplest story I’ve read this year!

Deacon Locke Went To Prom is a story about a shy guy who decided to bring his grandma to his prom and ended up being instantly internet famous. Ohhh, yes, that quick. This is not the first insta-internet-famous story I’ve read. There are
Mehsi
Jul 05, 2017 marked it as sorry-couldn-t-finish-these  ·  review of another edition
I got to 35% and then I just gave up. When I started this book at 2.30 am (I couldn't sleep) it was funny, hilarious, and I really liked it. But during the day, when I read parts of it, I just couldn't understand why I had liked it. Deacon is annoying, cringey, bleh and I was just so frustrated with how he acted. I would much rather have a book about Elijah, he is interesting and fun. Or maybe about Jean, the grandma. Even she has more interesting things to talk about than Deacon does.
I ju
Quirky characters and conflicts
Quality ideas
Quick, optimistic read
Quibbling reviewers

Deacon, the main character, is remarkably blasé about all sorts of social pitfalls, yet ridiculously insecure about other interactions. This level-headed attitude and anxiety-prone behavior combine to make Deacon a believable guy. I am also fond of the side characters. Each member of the supporting cast is distinct from the others
grieshaber.reads
I absolutely love the premise of this book for many reasons but the biggest one is that
everyone can relate to Prom. If you are young, you either can’t wait to go or you are dreading it. Everyone who is post-Prom age has a Prom story - either why you didn’t go to Prom, what your dress looked like, how hard you partied, what went wrong, etc. Personally, I think about Prom at least 8 months out of every year because I am the Prom co-sponsor at the school where I teach. So, other than the fact that
Maggie
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun read. Katcher continues to bring humor and life together in a way to keep a reader wanting to turn pages. I loved the comments at the end of chapter, putting into print what my mind was saying. That's like having a friend finish your sentence and then laugh because of the special connection. The serious side is not heavy handed. Any group wanting to use this book for shared reading or book discussion groups will find much to discuss. Recommended for all secondary school libraries. Can ...more
Michael Jensen
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Deacon Locke does go to prom in this book, but he does so much more. He comes of age, falls in love, learns to reach farther than he thought he could, and will touch your heart. At times funny, touching, and profound, Deacon Locke is one of the most appealing 18 year olds I've met in a long long time. You should definitely go to prom with Deacon.
Carolyn Carpenter
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
With prom coming around the corner, Deacon Locke needs to find a date. After his best friend/crush gets asked by someone else, Deacon decides to ask his grandmother, Jean, to prom. She's funny, cool, and Deacon feels relaxed around her. Then, while taking a dance class with Jean at the YMCA, Deacon meets Soraya, and he falls in love. Brian Katcher writes a hilarious novel that will knock you socks off with laughter.

I loved this book! It was so funny. The humor in this novel was phenomenal. If I
Erin Logan
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
It all started when Deacon Locke decided to bring his 60-year-old grandmother to prom. After this, Deacon's life is suddenly crazier than he could have ever imagined. I was a little worried when the prom happened less than halfway through the book - what would happen after that? Deacon's life turns upside down when he becomes a viral sensation. The book touches on aging, racism, judgement, confidence, and letting go. I rather enjoyed this high school read.
Rosemary H
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-contemporary
This was so cute! And set in Fayetteville, Arkansas, so I loved seeing all the Arkansas stuff mentioned.

I will admit that I was a *little* bummed when I saw the names of all the FYA girls as Internet commenters and didn't see mine - but Rosemary made her appearance there at the end and I let out a tiny fist pump!
Alissa Jones
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brian Katcher has created a YA novel that accurately depicts the reality of social media, racism, and living with a grandparent. Throw in some humor and awkward Senior moments, and you get a clever, fun novel!
Ida
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure: I was one of the beta readers for early drafts of this book. I enjoyed it enough to read the final version once it was released.

Deacon is a sweet, if sometimes clueless, high school senior. He lived an unsettled life (to put it mildly) with a father who is out of the picture by the time the story begins. Only in the last couple of years has Deacon found any kind of stability, living with his grandmother, Jean, in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

As senior prom approaches, Dea
Heidi Stallman
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure: I am one of Brian's CP's and read early drafts of the first half of this story (but had to wait for the finished book to read the ending, which was torture). I loved the final product.

Brian's ability to create lovable and quirky characters, treated with humor and compassion, is on full display in this feel-good coming of age story. My favorite part of this story is Deacon's relationship with his grandmother, who is also his guardian, and how both deal with the progre
Courtney
Deacon Locke really wants to go to prom. He's missed all of his other school dances and now he's a senior with only one high school dance left. Unfortunately, Deacon is a bit awkward around girls, even those he's been friends with for a long time. The only girl Deacon considers asking winds up with a date before Deacon gets the chance to ask, so he comes up with what seems like an ideal solution to the problem: invite his grandmother, Jean, to prom. It's perfect; she missed her own prom since he ...more
Kay Carman
Aug 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute new YA novel about tall, gangly, self-conscious Deacon, a high school senior whose whole family consists of his grandmother, Jean, with whom he lives. Deacon plays faithful friend and sidekick to perky, assertive, feminist Kelli. It's coming up on prom season and Deacon decides to take a big step outside his comfort zone and ask Kelli to prom which would be his first date in high school. He waits too long, and Kelli asks a football player.

Deacon asks Jean about her prom experien
Tracey
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, teen
teen fiction; awkward teen makes friends, meets girl of his dreams (who happens to be Muslim), and deals with unexpected fame in Fayetteville, Arkansas, among other things. Charming characters and a lot of zinging humor.

From Stonewall-winning author of Almost Perfect (about a boy falling in love with a trans girl in Missouri, though the original synopsis written by the publisher is off-putting and the author advises ignoring that to the extent possible).
Beth Rodgers
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
'Deacon Locke Went to Prom' by Brian Katcher was somewhat different from many young adult novels. Even though there are YA novels that have a male protagonist, many of the ones I read and review on a regular basis have a female main character. It was also interesting to see the angst and lack of self-confidence of a teen boy whom others see as good-looking and capable of popularity.

Deacon starts the novel with two friends, both of whom are girls - his eating and studying partner - Ke
Kim
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yes , a rare 4-stars from rme. I am not being trite when I say, "I laughed and I cried." This book was highly recommended to me by one of my students - a fourteen-year old young man who had never read this type of book before. Katcher's novel has officially party crashed the I-only-really-like-sports book club.
Tari
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such a cute book. I loved the subtle narration in the background. It was kind of like the voice in Kevin Arnold's head in the Wonder Years. A sweet story about a kid who wants to become a man and then realizes he really was a man to start with.
Erin
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I appreciate how true to life it is, everything is entirely plausible and not an idealized version of life.
Rossana Snee
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Katcher does not disappoint. This story is both humorous and heartwarming. I loved it. There's so many good things about this book, I don't know where to begin, so all I'll say is Read it!
Alicia Weaver
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What started as a cute YA romantic comedy became something with so much more depth. Deacon a true underdog, who when dateless decides to take his grandmother to the prom she never attended. What follows is the story of their relationship and Deacon finding first love and true friendships. Beautiful and entertaining storyline.
Kathleen Basi
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brian Katcher is one of my critique partners and I was privileged to see parts of this book in the formative stages, when I enjoyed it very much. I enjoyed it even more in its final form. This is a madcap romp through the life of a young man with a good heart who is nonetheless pretty much clueless about, well, everything. This is his coming-of-age, brought about courtesy of social media bullying, reality TV, bigotry, and mental health issues. And despite the heavy topics in that list, the book ...more
Suey
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this one from the first moments. This dude, this shy tall awkward dude, takes his grandma to prom. And then.. stuff happens that he so does not expect and his whole life changes. And how does he deal with this? Read the book. I loved it.
Michael Prier
Reading Challenge 2017: Book with a title that's a character's name. Brian Katcher does it again! Deacon Locke is a tall, tall, tall student who has no self-confidence when it comes to people. His senior prom is approaching and he does not have a date. When he discovers his grandmother Jean never went to her prom, due to her husband being in Vietnam, he asks her to attend with him. That is a turning point for his life. They take dancing lessons at the YMCA, where he meets his soon to be girlfrie ...more
Kathy Heare Watts
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A quirky young adult tale of Deacon Locke, high school, and young love.

I won an uncorrected proof advanced reading copy of this book during a Goodreads giveaway. I am under no obligation to leave a review or rating and do so voluntarily. So that others may also enjoy this book, I am donating it to a library.
Mary Damiri
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I laughed more than I thought I would. The characters were quirky and cute.
« previous 1 3 next »