Start by marking “Idle Ingredients (Sin du Jour, #4)” as Want to Read:
Idle Ingredients (Sin du Jour, #4)

Idle Ingredients

(Sin du Jour #4)

Catering for a charismatic motivational speaker, the staff of the Sin du Jour catering agency find themselves incapacitated by a force from within their ranks. A smile and a promise is all it took.

And for some reason, only the men are affected. It’s going to take cunning, guile and a significant amount of violence to resolve.

Another day of cupcakes and evil with your favor
Published February 7th 2017 by Tor.com

To ask other readers questions about Idle Ingredients, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Idle Ingredients

Start your review of Idle Ingredients (Sin du Jour, #4)
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/03/02/...

Put on your chefs hats and smocks, because it’s time for another crazy adventure starring the ragtag crew of New York’s most exclusive kitchen and catering company. And if the first three books of the Sin du Jour series can be considered the early courses of a meal, then with this fourth installment we have come to the entrée—the meat of this story arc, so to speak.

The last we saw these characters, Lena had just dropped th
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
It's really hard to put into words why I like this series so much. I was afraid that as the series progressed, I might lost interest, but that simply isn't the case and once again, Wallace had added to his already quirky and often dangerous Sin du Jour world.

In this installment, the team is back at Sin du Jour trying to recover from the escapades in the last book. All is going fairly well, or as well as it can go when your catering service's primary customers are demons, trolls, witches, banshee
Donna
The chefs of Sin du Jour cater a meal for political schmoozing, demon-style.

I am happy to say that this series continues to get better. While the first three books seemed like flashy little action/cooking vignettes, this one shows some plot backbone. The author is building to something and I'm willing to continue to read to see where it ends up. I do get tired of the female chef who gets pissy every time the fact that she sleeps with some of the men she works with comes up. None of the male chef
Jen
Have I mentioned how much I am loving this series? This fourth book was just as excellent a read as have been the previous three books. :-)

In this one, Sin du Jour is faced with catering events for an upcoming election. . .an election for the supernatural sort. ;-) And they're being sabotaged by "a force within their ranks," a force that only affects the men. ((view spoiler)) ;-)

At the one catering event that was held, we got to meet gnomes, undines, sylph
Devann
Although still a pretty good book, this is definitely a low point in the series for me so far. Super unfortunate since the ladies take center stage in it, which made me really WANT to love it. I think at its most basic level Idle Ingredients just suffers from 'middle book syndrome' because it doesn't really feel like a complete plot in and of itself, just a bridge to elevate the stakes for the later half of the series. And while I do understand the title and I guess it works okay enough, this fe ...more
Vinay Badri
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read
Awesome fun as always even as it remains clever (too much at times), sly and engaging. The nature of a novella implies that certain things are resolved much quicker than in a typical book but the best part about the series has been the slow burn nature of certain threads that seem to be coming together.

By now, the personal quirks and relationship between the crew should have been known and yet Wallace throws in more color and different pairings. The central conflict wasnt as subtle as before but
Maggie Gordon
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Idle Ingredients is a fun addition to the Sin du Jour series that I have a love-hate relationship with. I really do not like the sex magic that keeps getting brought up, largely because consent is usually an issue. Fortunately, despite this being a book about a succubus, there was surprisingly little of that. Just some pretty awesome magic and the women of the book taking lead! This book also made book 5 make more sense, funny that :D (Silly library not ordering novella 4 and confusing me).
Alan
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Another thoroughly enjoyable adventure in the Sin du Jour series. Matt Wallace treats readers to new tasty layers of each characters' stories when some of the team members fall prey to an unexpected foe, and then rally together, kick demon butt, and show once again why they are the most bad-ass caterers in this or any other world.
Ellana Thornton-Wheybrew
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks-i-own
This series is weird. I love it
Kdawg91
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Sin de Jour series should be on TV, PERIOD. Massively fun series, great characters, tons of action and wild situations, it is tailor frigging made for a netflix series.

Perfect stories, in a semi perfect package(I do have one..small..gripe)

So, if you haven't read these, why are you still reading my review? hit your method of book purchase and spend that cash, I mean...what are you gonna use it for? Food? rent? come on already.

Oh yeah..my minor gripe, too short, stories are very episodic, whil
Bridget Mckinney
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Matt Wallace’s Sin du Jour novellas have been consistently excellent from the first page of the series, putting them at the top of my list of most anticipated releases at all times, and Idle Ingredients is another great installment. This one is perhaps lighter on plot than the previous three, but it more than makes up with it with some compelling character work, especially for Lena who continues to emerge as the dominant character of the ensemble cast. Idle Ingredients also has an excellent vill ...more
Roberto Garcia
Feb 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Definitely fun, I love these series; the characters, the scenario, the cooking, everything…

But, this has been my least favorite of the four, it has a very simple plot and lacks the special sparkle Mr. Wallace has shown us in his astonishing writing. (My opinion).

That does not mean I’m not looking forward for the next delivery “Greedy Pigs” or that I’m going to stop reading the Sin du Jour series.
Mary Saha
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

Every time I get one of these I tell myself I am not going to read it in one sitting and every time I do anyway. I love this series and am both looking forward to and dreading the last three. Hopefully there will be more than just the seven. Am I the only one who thinks this would make a great TV series?
JustSomeGuy
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it
These novellas are easy reading fun - with the first in the series being the best. The two books that followed were a mixed bag for me - touching on the first book's creativity but never quite reaching that level. I went into book #4 wondering if the downward trend would continue, or would things pick back up. Unfortunately, not a heck of a lot happens in this book, unless you count the total wuss of the earlier installments, Darren, growing a beard and pair of balls. The strength of the previou ...more
Ben Truong
Idle Ingredients is the fourth novella in the Sin du Jour series written by Matt Wallace and centered on the ongoing adventures of the magic-wielding culinary catering company Sin du Jour, starring Lena Tarr and Darren Vargas.

It has been over a month since Lena Tarr left the apartment that she shared with her friend Darren Vargas and took a job at a diner called the Ugly Quesadilla. When Sin du Jour’s head honcho, Bronko Luck, tracks her down and tells her that she and all of the Sin du Jour gan
James
May 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
I have several issues with this book, first it's not obvious from the physical book that it's part of a series, a blurb on the back mentions "I fell in love with this series..." but I don't usually read those. Second much of the character development and relationships have (possibly) already been developed and you are left floundering if you haven't read the first books. Lastly there are chapters included that have nothing to do with this book's plot, they don't interact in any way with characte ...more
J. April
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Actual rating 3.5.

If you've made it this far in the Sin du Jour series, you know what to expect. "Idle Ingredients" does what the series does best. Quick-paced action, bizarre scenarios, laugh-out-loud dialogue, and deus-ex-machina-style solutions that work because, hey, it's fantasy! Of course there are convenient rules and fixes that exist without prior reader knowledge or backstory. You even see some character development in this one, as Lena, Darren, and Bronco all quietly acknowledge the st
Angie
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, paranormal
My Review: I find that I am oddly drawn to this series even though it is very quirky, has an odd sense of humor and is outside my normal reading preferences. I am glad I have continued to read this series though as this was my favorite of the books so far. I loved that Lena attempted to make a stand and the rest of the line let her take that time. I also really enjoyed the integration of a lot more mythical and magical creatures in this one, we only get a little glimpse of some of them but still ...more
Lisa Cobb Sabatini
I won Idle Ingredients by Matt Wallace from Goodreads.

Idle Ingredients is a quick read that is super-packed with fun, monsters, adventure, heroes, action, and a wonderfully unique storyline. A catering company that services non-humans is under attack, but is the enemy one of them? It is up to the women on the team to figure it all out.
Readers will devour Matt Wallace's books featuring Chef Luck and his unparalleled crew at Sin du Jour catering.
Constanze Scheib
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
There's a new employee at Sin du Jour and she means trouble!
Idle Ingredients doesn't dissapoint, if you enjoyed the other books. But there's a note of sadness, the crew doesn't remain unaffected by their adventures. By the end of the novella, you're a little bit scared and anxious what will happen in the next book.
Sin du Jour always means fun, excellent fight scenes ( Cindy and Ritter!) and loveable characters. It brightens my day, whenever I pick it up!
Marc
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best one yet!

Wallace did a great job in easy us into the story and into the characters life after the events of the last story. I enjoyed seeing the characters grow and their relationship change. The plot was straight forward but the pasting was great, and it set up something grand in for later books.

Gave it a 4.75 out of 5 Cupids.
Pat
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ebooks
The further along in the series I get, the more I'm enjoying the books, which have shifted from (sometimes awkward and badly written) humor to humor + plot arc. Not especially sure what's so "slothful" about this one, but the overarching plot is interesting, and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
Ashley
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Felt a tad more rushed than the others. Some of the sentences' wording made me have to reread a couple times before understanding properly. All in all, still quite a good addition to this novella series. Still a fan & very much looking to the rest! ...more
Amy
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I love paranormal books, however IDLE INGREDIENTS read kind of like a script. Which I'm not a big fan of at all. The characters are interesting and there is action, I just couldn't get past the script feel. The over descriptiveness. I won this book on a goodreads giveaway.
Zaphied
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
There is a scene early on that is completely vivid in the mental imagery it invokes. Involving several homeless and air elementals. I wish I had brain bleach for it because I keep flashbacking to it. Good job!
Wiebke (1book1review)
I left too much time between book 3 and 4, I forgot so many things that happened and this one was referring to.
Nevertheless this was a quick fun read with a lot of fantastic mouthwatering food. I can only recommend getting into the series.
Emma
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
It’s been too long since I read a Sin du Jour book and I totally forgot how much fun they are. This one was particularly fast-paced and had lots of my favorite characters — like Lena, Nikki, and Jett — at their best.
S. Nash
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
Quick review: This is kind of a "catch your breath" installment in this series, but you'll only get a little respite. As the crew shakes off the disaster of the last hellish attack, a new, subtle danger threatens the solidarity of the kitchen. This book does a lot of moving the story along and building up to a larger conflict that (hopefully) will come to a head in Greedy Pigs. It spends a lot of time on the crew and their relationships to each other. IMO, it's not a standout in the series, but ...more
Peter Hansen
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kobo, 2017
Didn't enjoy this as much as previous books in the series but as this book had more setup and less plot. I am glad book five is already out as this one ended in a surprise cliffhanger.
Izzy
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z-2017
Great addition to the series. A little slow at parts, but I still really enjoyed it. Excited to read book 5!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Sooner or Later Everything Falls Into the Sea
  • Ronan Boyle and the Swamp of Certain Death (Ronan Boyle #2)
  • Sailor Moon: Eternal Edition 1
  • Sailor Moon Eternal Edition 2
  • Sudden Backtrack (The Hollows #13.1)
  • Broken Metropolis: Queer Tales of a City That Never Was
  • Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. The Stupid Stinkbugs from Saturn (Ricky Ricotta, #6)
  • Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Uranium Unicorns from Uranus (Ricky Ricotta, #7)
  • Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Jurassic Jackrabbits from Jupiter (Ricky Ricotta, #5)
  • Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Mecha Monkeys from Mars (Ricky Ricotta, #4)
  • Taste of Marrow (River of Teeth, #2)
  • Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Voodoo Vultures from Venus (Ricky Ricotta, #3)
  • Singing the Dogstar Blues
  • Unbound (Magic Ex Libris, #3)
  • Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Mutant Mosquitoes from Mercury (Ricky Ricotta, #2)
  • Strong Female Protagonist: Book Two (Strong Female Protagonist, #5 and 6)
  • Shattered Warrior
  • An Orc on the Wild Side

Sin du Jour (8 books)
  • Envy of Angels (Sin du Jour, #1)
  • Lustlocked (Sin du Jour, #2)
  • Pride's Spell (Sin du Jour, #3)
  • Greedy Pigs (Sin du Jour, #5)
  • Gluttony Bay (Sin du Jour, #6)
  • Taste of Wrath (Sin du Jour, #7)
  • Sin du Jour: The Final Course (A Sin du Jour Affair)

News & Interviews

“Fear is a tool, like anything else. The trick is learning to use it without it turning on you.” 0 likes