Start by marking “Control (Star Trek: Section 31)” as Want to Read:
Control (Star Trek: Section 31)

Control

(Star Trek: Section 31)

From the New York Times bestselling author David Mack comes an original, thrilling Section 31 novel set in the Star Trek: The Next Generation universe!

No law…no conscience…no mercy. Amoral, shrouded in secrecy, and answering to no one, Section 31 is the mysterious covert operations division of Starfleet, a rogue shadow group pledged to defend the Federation at any cost. Th
Published March 28th 2017 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Control, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Control

Daniel Kukwa
Apr 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Well, that was...not what I was expecting. As a thriller, it sets a good pace and keeps the reader interested. But as to the final resolution of Section 31 and the power behind the throne, I'm left feeling a bit...uncertain. There's something almost "Battlestar Galactica" about this finale, and its darkness leaves me with mixed emotions...did I actually enjoy it? Was I disappointed or simply surprised? The novel itself seems to be satisfying a great many readers, and intellectually I can underst ...more
Christopher Leto
Wow.

I laughed and cried. Good book. I love how this storyline has now wrapped up. We need heroes like these in America today.
Danny
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dan
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, star-trek
Control is a novel that redefines much of what we think of the Star Trek universe. While this may irk some fans, I loved this novel. The emotional and physical sacrifices that the characters have to make to achieve their goals and the nature of the enemy they are fighting were very compelling to me. A perfect Trek novel, and the best of the year's crop so far.

Full review (video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9tX8...
Chinchintiger
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek
Unbelievable. I have read about 50 Trek novels and this one is easily one of the best I have read. It may in fact be the best. David Mack is a fantastic writer and knows the characters inside and out. Stop what your doing and read this book.
Brian Stuhr
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek
Wow...if only the new movies had followed this direction and utilized David Mack's writing skills.
Christopher
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Omar Rivero
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek-read
David Mack has never shied away from telling a big story with huge ramifications for The Federation, the Alpha quadrant, the Milky Way galaxy, hell, even the universe(s). The story in "Control" is yet another example of his expansive storytelling. Like his previous Section 31 related books, the main protagonist is the long-suffering Julian Bashir and his quest to rid his beloved Federation of the scourge of clandestine organization that pre-dates the Federation itself. As usual, Mack has a knack ...more
Brian
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book. This book makes me glad I decided to fall down the rabbit hole of the extended Star Trek Litverse.

***Spoilers Below***

"You will never get them all, and those who escape will embed themselves even deeper than they were before. Mark my words, Doctor: try to purge this cancer from your body politic, and all you'll do is drive it into the marrow of your bones." - Elim Garak

The use of Section 31 in Deep Space Nine was masterful almost exclusively because of its light touch, and the philoso
Aron
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: st-ds9
Awesome! Disavowed is one of my all time favorites, so I've really been looking forward to this book. I'd heard some mixed reviews about how this book ends, but I thought it was a great ending. There are so many really great writers writing for ST these days, but I think David Mack is my favorite. His style, knowledge of ST & his perfect grasp of the characters always make for an entertaining read. Highly recommend!.
John
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best Section 31 novel yet!

Excellent novel with just the right balance of action, intrigued and ST technobabble. David Mack has taken the 31 concept far, and again added to his impressive collection of works.
Kevin E Griffin
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Even after putting it down, I was still compelled to continue reading it after a brief respite. I hope to read more like this.
Denes House
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
(Originally posted at https://trekmovie.com/2017/05/09/revi...)

The moral and ethical nature of Section 31 comes into question in the latest Trek novel from author David Mack.

“I can’t deny there’s rot in the core of Starfleet. In the heart of the Federation. I’ve seen it.’ [Bashir] looked up at Garak, and his eyes had the hard, unyielding focus of a man ready to go to war. ‘I came to you because I need to know how to stop it. How to end it. How to destroy it.’

‘Well, that’s simple, Doctor. What wo
Nicky2910
Star Trek: Section 31: Control by David Mack Bashir and Sarina learn of a secret programme that pervades systems throughout the Federation (and beyond) and has been in place for centuries. Nominally it registers threats and brings them to the attention of the authorities - but it has long since developed a mind of its own, acting on its own... and creating Section 31, calling itself Control. Bashir engages Data's help in finally bringing down this machine.

First of all, the idea of the machine U
Daniel
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continuing the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine relaunch is Section 31: Control. Though this is part of the DS9 series, only Bashir and Garak are mentioned in this one. Star Trek rarely does thrillers and goes very dark, this is one of those occasions. At the birth of the Federation, humanity, desperate to never again face the dark times of its past, either through its own doing or through alien influence, secretly creates a program to monitor audio and visual inputs, parse the data, analyze it, then, ...more
Carol Gibson
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge Bashir fan he was my favorite character on DS9 this book continues his story after the end of the TV series. Bashir working with Sarina the woman he helped bring out of her catatonic state or double agents hoping to bring down Section 31 from the inside.

This book via flashback tells how Section 31 came to be. It does an excellent job filling in the history we also get to see Garak, Data his daughter Lal and brief appearance by Ezri Dax. These novels all set after Nemsis have expande
Brad Reid
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Stephen
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
For four years, Julian Bashir has yearned to destroy the malicious intelligence-and-covert ops organization known as Section 31 from the inside. A rendezvous with a desperate journalist in the frozen wastes of Andor, however, makes him realize more than ever that he is over his head. Running in the background of the entire Alpha Quadrant's technical infrastructure, from replicators to warp cores and shuttle transports is a common code, creating a massively distributed superintelligence which is ...more
Charles
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great riveting book. Mack is unafraid to weave a wide-ranging tale and cut down beloved characters to size.

Only thing that bugs me is the big plot hole at the end (spoiler alert),

Option 1 - Control is actually devoted to the Federation and wants to ditch Section 31 as a threat. If that were true then all it had to do was let Data/Bashir insert their data cards, not go through the bloody theater. Not to mention the brainwash and self-disembowelment of you-know-who.

Option 2 - Control is a self-ce
Maurice Jr.
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Section 31 has been the invisible power behind Starfleet Intelligence for far too long, and Dr. Julian Bashir has had enough of letting them have their way.

He and his lover Sarina Douglas (formerly of Starfleet Intelligence) are currently double agents, pretending to serve Section 31 while scheming to bring it down at the first opportunity. When ace investigative reporter Ozla Graniv comes to them with a 200 year old secret, Bashir sees his chance to bring 31 down once and for all, no matter th
Krista D.
Jul 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
My biggest problem with this book is that I simply don't like Data stories. Plus, there were too many new characters that I just didn't care about. I found myself skipping and skimming most of the book - a first for a David Mack book and I admit I felt guilty doing it.

The ending was incredibly sad, though I was quite okay with that specific event that happened. I'm curious about where this leave Bashir and Garak now, too.

Mrklingon
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Calling Wintermute....

There's a hint of Neuromancer in here, though a far, far different story.

Mack plays fair - there's a lot of Trek history (both film/tv-canon and novels, including Mack's work). It's part spy thriller, part caper. I haven't read/seen everything referred to, but the author plays fair I think, filling in enough detail that you don't get left behind.

All in all a good Trek story - and I suspect there's still more to come.
Alessandro
I'm not exactly sure what to think of this book. It is written well as we have come to expect from the author. However, the end leaves me in doubt on what it means for the future and past of the federation. I would have given this a five star rating if wasn't for the, slightly predictable, and troubling plot. I'm curious to find out how this will be picked up in other books from the same and other authors.
Sharon
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek-ds9
David Mack always delivers a riveting read. This had all the elements I like in a story. Human interest, adventure, danger, intrigue, an out of the box bad guy, it's all there. I HOPE this story line is continued and not left dangling for years as has happened before.

George Flannary
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Timeline a little off but otherwise pretty good

We know that Malcolm Reed was a member of 31 before the NX-01 was launched. This book makes it seem like section 31 began with the Xindi attack on earth.
Angela E Gilbert
Although this is a good story, I dont feel it fits in the Star Trek Universe. If it were Original Fiction I would probably have given it 4 or 5 stars. Star Trek is meant to be a beacon of hope. This book is too dystopian.
Abigail Brown
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Very interesting and lots of items tying in. David Mack as always supplies a thrilling read. Can't wait for the next stories
Chrisopher
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

..jh hhh hhhgg fgfff gggd vgfd ggggf gyjjg cjchh dhdhh dhhd h d h j h j h j h h
Murray Moore
Control is very good,a fast paced,exciting book.
Dustin
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Federation is not as peaceful as you might think.

The Federation is not as peaceful as you might think. Everything you know about Star Trek is based on a giant secret.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please update page count 2 13 Apr 17, 2017 05:20PM
  • The Poisoned Chalice (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • The Jackal's Trick (Star Trek: Prey #2)
  • Plagues of Night (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #6)
  • The Crimson Shadow (Star Trek: Typhon Pact)
  • The Light Fantastic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Headlong Flight
  • Forgotten History (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations, #2)
  • A Pocket Full of Lies
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
David Mack is the New York Times bestselling author of more than thirty novels of science-fiction, fantasy, and adventure, including the Star Trek Destiny and Cold Equations trilogies.

Beyond novels, Mack's writing credits span several media, including television (for produced episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine), film, and comic books.

Follow him on Twitter @davidalanmack or join his fans on Fac
“Naturally, the majority of the population observed this historic milestone for their species by inebriating themselves halfway to the point of blindness and filling the streets with vomit. Far from all that madness and debauchery, Aaron Ikerson stood in the center of the ballroom” 0 likes