Start by marking “The Algorithm Design Manual” as Want to Read:
The Algorithm Design Manual

The Algorithm Design Manual

Book by Skiena, Steven S
Published April 27th 2011 by Springer (first published November 14th 1997)

Start your review of The Algorithm Design Manual
Ivan
May 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in algorithms and data structures
Shelves: computer-science
When you want to read a good introductory book about algorithms and data structures the choice comes down to two books: Introduction to Algorithms, Second Edition and this one. I especially liked The Algorithm Design Manual because of the author's writing style, the "war stories" (that are some clever and practical applications of the data structures and algorithms the author tries to teach you) and the second half part of the book which is a sort of encyclopedia of problems.

I used the "introduc
Christian Brumm
Dec 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cs-software
In comparison to "Introduction to Algorithms" (the other algorithm book I had significant exposure to) this one is faster to read, easier to digest and more tailored towards applications.

I found the "Hitchhiker's Guide to Algorithms" in the back to be extremely useful if you really find yourself tackling an algorithmic problem in practice.

The main part (maybe skipping/skimming down a few chapters) is a very good preparation for algorithm-heavy job interviews (e.g. Google, Facebook etc ...).

Very
Francis
Jul 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a practical, example-driven book on computer science algorithms, which is very readable and has a wealth of ready-to-use examples. The tutorial material in the first half of the book covers the essentials: data structures such as lists, arrays, stacks, queues, binary trees, etc. The book spends a lot of time emphasizing the utility of graph algorithms and how to model various classes of problems with them, as well as lot of time on dynamic programming and backtracking/enumeration. A ...more
Josh Davis
I can't think of an occasion when I'd recommend this over Intro to Algorithms (CLRS). It does a fraction of what CLRS does and worse in most cases. And in the rest of the cases, it does them exactly the same. There were some instances (graph algorithms) where the code in Skiena was taken straight out of CLRS. Not only did CLRS explain the algorithm better but it had the proofs to back it up.

Speaking of proofs, this is what I hated about Skiena. It has barely any proofs in comparison to CLRS. A l
محمد
This is not an introductory book. You should have some previous knowledge of algorithms to enjoy it. The book builds a way of thinking towards solving algorithms problems, instead of just stating the algorithms and data structures in a mechanical way, but in many parts it is not very clear and you have to read a passage multiple times to understand what the author meant.

The book can be used as a reference that you can use to understand a specific topic.
Badarudheen Kunnathodi
Highly recommended for anyone interested in practical algorithm implementation.
Valia
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
A rare book on algorithms that is actually fun to read :)
Alexander Osmanov
Very good examples and explanations of algorithms that are commonly asked in interviews.
Joe
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Joe by: Fivebooks
The rare computer programming book that I finished start-to-finish.

The first half of the book tells you why some things take longer to compute than other things. This helps data scientists / statisticians / analysts who work with large amounts of data.

In the first half, the math and the computer code can get pretty heavy. But I found the text around it was written so you could skim the hard stuff, get the idea, and keep going.

The second half of the book is a reference. As Hadley Wickham said in
Danial Kalbasi
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A useful read for anyone who likes to have a deeper understanding of algorithm design. The book covers many aspects such as time/space complexity, NP-completeness, and many other concepts. The part that I personally really appreciate was the first few chapters about how to set our mindset to design an algorithm.

This book, like most academic books, is hard to read and comprehend and needs the reader to do more research about the subjects. I wish people who write these books, they come out of thei
Alexey Zorin
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is just a bit less academic and a bit more casual than the famous "Introduction to Algorithms" however it's all about applications.
Every chapter starts off with a problem statement, then questions are asked to help identify hidden nuances of the problem, followed by a "War story" showing where exactly that particular algorithm found it's application and tricky exercises of course.
Author provides dozens of references to each topic so the reader could study the particular subject in deta
Corrado
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best Algorithmic Design books out there: not only does it approach every problem with the consideration of heuristic and through reasoning and demonstrations, but it also helps with writing simple code.

What makes this book better than most other books about the topic is the scrupulous definition of each term, and the absurdly clear explanation of every problem and heuristic that's presented throughout the volume.

Overall, i'd definitely suggest this book to anyone interested in algorit
Scott Holstad
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technology
A pretty good resource and one of the better books on the subject, in my opinion. However, many describe it as "introductory" algorithms, and I'm not sure I totally agree. Unless you already posses a solid foundation in related areas, a newbie will often find it hard to walk into this and immediately understand it. And maybe some will say that would be unrealistic, and I would be one of those. However, I actually have heard and seen others say exactly that, and again, I don't agree. Nonetheless, ...more
Snotnose
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy crap, wish I'd found this book before I retired. I've been recommending Sedgwick's book for 30 years, this one is even better.

Something I really like is how he shows how useful graph theory can be. If you can turn your problem into a graph (and you'd be surprised how often you can) there are a lot of non-obvious algorithms that will beat the pants of any non-graphical algorithm. I got a B.A. in math, the most useful class I took was graph theory.
Priyanka Shah
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Amazing and informative book for anyone interested in knowing how algorithms shape the world we live and power almost all the electronic machines we interact with on day to day basis. Most importantly gives you a zoom out version to analyze and breakdown big problems into small informative chunks which can then be processed to get a value.
Mayur Patil
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Book but obviously not for beginners. You need to do refresher course in Algorithms or take one if you are graduating. You will become good problem solver and algorithmist after completing this text. Go for it if you want to challenge your algorithmic learning.
Dawn Drain
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Skiena is an extremely likeable author! I loved his stories and sense of humor. I think I'd recommend this book over CLRS, although I could imagine a past version of myself being frustrated by the practical lack of detail.
Vikas Srivastava
An excellent book taking a hands approach on solving algorithmic problems. A brief introduction to the algorithms followed by specific implementations of everyday problems makes it truly a ‘Hitchhiker’s Guide to Algorithms’
Ben Yang
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best algorithm book I read, ever.
Fatima
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer-science
My favorite Algorithms book. I will always read and re-read it.
Jared Tobin
Not bad, but I preferred CLRS. Okasaki is miles more enjoyable than either of them, but of course has a different scope.
Samuel
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rather good as a cover to cover read and as reference as well. It might get a bit too fast paced towards the end, but still loads of good information and ideas
Yasser
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Explanation is an art and Skeina is a master on it.
Natu Lauchande
Good go to book for algorithms !!!
Arun Ravindran
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very conversational and witty style of writing. I finished only the first ten chapters. Plan to keep revisiting it.
Elkhan Ibrahimov
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: algorithm
explanation and examples are really good
Sebastian Baker
Aug 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
My
Edmund Martin
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best introductory texts to Algorithms, and introduces many of the topics in an easy to understand way.
Alex Bulankou
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Algorithm books are usually not meant to be read fully as a novel, but used as a reference. Skiena's book is both. It focuses on real life practical examples. It even has some measure of good humor and memorable quotes.

It is amazing how often the reason you can't find a convincing explanation for something is because your conclusion is wrong.
This book makes you feel actually thrilled about using algorithms to solve practical scale problems and feel invigorated, not all bored, about software eng
Saul
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great overview of the many families of important algorithms in computer science. The explanations and motivations are clear and engaging; I particularly liked the little "war stories" that accompanied each section, showing real-world applications of the algorithms being discussed and detailing the thought-process behind the matching of problem to algorithmic solution.

The only downside is the author's glib dismissal of the importance of parallel computing and the realities of hardw
« previous 1 3 next »

• Elements of Programming Interviews: The Insiders' Guide C++
  • Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code
  • Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »