Start by marking “The Hidden Memory of Objects” as Want to Read:
The Hidden Memory of Objects

The Hidden Memory of Objects

Megan Brown’s brother, Tyler, is dead, but the cops are killing him all over again. They say he died of a drug overdose, potentially suicide—something Megan cannot accept. Determined to figure out what happened in the months before Tyler’s death, Megan turns to the things he left behind. After all, she understands the stories objects can tell—at fifteen, she is a gifted ...more
Published March 21st 2017 by Balzer & Bray

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden Memory of Objects, please sign up.
Danielle Hi Jace! Definitely appropriate for high school and up. There is some swearing (including the f-word) and vague mention of drugs/violence. No sex. If…moreHi Jace! Definitely appropriate for high school and up. There is some swearing (including the f-word) and vague mention of drugs/violence. No sex. If parents of junior high students are okay with swearing, then it's probably fine for them, too.(less)
Lord of Shadows by Cassandra ClareKing's Cage by Victoria AveyardCarve the Mark by Veronica RothCaraval by Stephanie GarberFlame in the Mist by Renée Ahdieh
YA Novels of 2017
1,086 books — 8,426 voters
Caraval by Stephanie GarberThe Hate U Give by Angie ThomasWintersong by S. Jae-JonesGilded Cage by Vic JamesBlood Rose Rebellion by Rosalyn Eves
YA Debuts 2017
220 books — 1,563 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Hidden Memory of Objects
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
This is a beautifully written young adult mystery with historical ties with Abraham Lincoln, and John Wilkes Booth.

Megan Brown, 15 years old, is suspicious from what she was told is the cause of her brother's death. They say Tyler, died from a drug overdose. The police and parents believe his death was suicide.

Through Megan's personal detective work....we enter an outlandish world.
You really need to get out of your head - with reason - when you read this novel....
Megan can see
Kate Quinn
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Danielle was my PitchWars mentee and even though I've read multiple versions of this book multiple times (with it getting more amazing with each round of revisions) I cannot wait to read it again once it comes out in hardcover. Not only does this book boast a really cool mystery, touches of the supernatural, a brilliant and snarky main character with a voice that shines from the first page, and a super sweet romance - but it also ties in Abraham Lincoln and John Wilkes Booth in a way that is ...more
Carlie Sorosiak
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most compelling YA mysteries I've read in years. The historical elements are tied in so skillfully that it really left me in awe. Fantastic writing, original voice, arresting concept. You're going to love it!
Rosalyn Eves
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have wanted to read Amato's book since I first heard of it, nearly 2 years ago! I was lucky enough to read an advanced copy of the book and I tore through it--I loved it.

Megan Brown is reeling from her brother Tyler's unexpected death. Yet as the police reveal more information around the circumstances of his death, things don't quite add up. The Tyler that the police see is not the Tyler that Megan remembers. So Megan takes it upon herself to do some sleuthing into Tyler's things.

But events

"And that was the moment. The moment Tyler died all over again. It was bad enough that I'd never see him again, but now... he wouldn't even be the person I remembered. My brother wasn't just going to die; I was going to lose everything I had left of him."

This was a YA story about a girl who saw flashes of memories from objects associated with deaths.

Megan was an interesting character, and she certainly
Katie Nelson
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky to get an ARC of this gorgeous book!

Megan Brown's brother just died. Nicknamed "Red" for his red hair and charismatic personality, it's hard for Megan to believe he's gone. When details about his death emerge, the police, as well as Megan's parents, are quick to call his death an overdose or suicide, but Megan can't accept that. With the help of two friends, she tries to unravel the mystery, but finds so much more in the process.

This book pulled me in from the first chapter. The
Melissa
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This ARC was given to me in exchange for an honest review.
Megan Brown, 15, has been led to believe that her beloved big brother, Tyler, has died of a drug overdose. The problem is, knowing Tyler - as well as digging up a host of clues that don't add up - Megan begins to become suspicious. In doing so, she discovers more about her brother than she had originally bargained for - as well as hidden revelations about herself. A gorgeously written roller-coaster ride of a debut. Highly and
Tracie
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get my hands on an ARC of this book. It’s an absolute rainbow of delights: a time-hopping mystery, a super-hero origin story, and a throat-tightening example of how quickly everything we know unravels when someone we love dies. But mostly it’s about how a girl discovers that, beneath all her protective brown feathers, she’s got a whole palette of vibrant colors to share. Watching Megan paint her freak flag in cerulean and heliotrope and, best of all, bright, bold red, is ...more
KT
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The premise was so cool, I couldn't wait to dive into this book. I was thrilled that it delivered on the coolness front, but on many more, as well. Megan's quest to find out what happened to her brother was also a quest to discover herself, and I found the way that both storylines played out to be immensely satisfying. Eric was a fabulous friend to her, and the texts between her and her BFF were hilarious and real (seriously, the author threw in the funniest 80s/pop culture references--they may ...more
K.A.
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book from beginning to end. From the history to the mystery, the characters, and the prose, it was beautiful and kept me guessing the whole time. I cannot recommend it more.
Amanda Searcy
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book grabbed me from the beginning and wouldn't let go! It is part mystery, part political thriller, part ride through some of the darker (and stranger) parts of U.S. history. It is a one-sitting read. You will absolutely need to know what happens next and how it will all resolve. (Plus, it will make you want to plan a trip to Washington D.C. to check out some of the things mentioned in the book!)
J.C. Davis
I have wanted to read this book from the moment I read a summary months and months ago. When I finally got my hands on an ARC, it didn't disappoint. Amato weaves a beautiful, intriguing, heart-rending mystery and then gives us unforgettable characters to bring it all to life. The main character, Megan's, grief and determination come across from page one. This is such a unique story! I love how beautifully Amato shows us Megan's perspective on the world around her, how Megan's art influences so ...more
Nic Stone
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Breeana Shields
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2k17-books
I loved this book for so many reasons--beautiful prose, fantastic characters, a compelling mystery, and little tidbits of history that are both wonderful and strange. But it’s the honest, aching portrait of grief, along with the exploration of the way we remember the people we love, that will stick with me for a long time. Highly recommended.
Megan
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been wanting to read this book since I first read a summary ages ago and it didn’t disappoint! It’s captivating and unique with a well-drawn plot and unforgettable characters. I can’t say enough good things about it—just read it!
Allison
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing debut with gorgeous writing, a gradually unfurling mystery, and masterfully handled relationships. Really loved Megan, Eric, and Nathan.

Longer RTC!
McCall Hoyle
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Genius! Pure genius! Fresh concept and beautifully written.

The protagonist, Megan, wants to know the details surrounding her brother's death. She's a collage artist with the unique ability to "read" certain objects. She uses the things her brother left behind and enlists a couple of characters readers will love to answer the questions surrounding her brother's death.

I feel so lucky to have gotten a sneak peek at this work of art!

Kudos, Danielle Mages Amato!
Madison
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Hidden Memory of Objects is a modern-day mystery with a grounding in American History, a touch of the paranormal and a bit of romance. But it is ultimately a story about a girl's quest to uncover the truth about her brother, how he really died, and the events leading up to his death, and maybe even discover who she is outside of people's, especially her brother's, expectations of her.

Megan's brother is dead. The police say he died of a drug overdose and Megan can't reconcile the images she
Destiny
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Man oh man! Fast-paced, awesome historical intertwining, fantastic characters... this book has it all! I loved it!
Sonia
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I loved this book! It is so many things: a fast-paced and exciting thriller; a moving portrait of grief; an off-beat and adorable romance; a fascinating history lesson; an awesomely cool piece of world-building. Also, it is set in DC! As a native Washingtonian myself, I wrote a YA novel set in DC partly because I was sad there were so few of them in the world, and I'm delighted to see DC get its due here. Not many books are able to show DC for the complicated/bizarre/amazing place it is: both ...more
Dayla
Mar 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
I received a copy via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review

If there is one sentence I could confidently put as a tagline for this book it would be "The Book that Tried". The Hidden Memory of Objects by Danielle Mages Amato has so much going on that you're either torn between trying to figure out what is actually happening with the protagonist's psychic ability, or just trying to figure out what is happening in general. This book was insanely hard to take seriously.

And that's without
Elise (TheBookishActress)
I've always loved books that are multiple genres, especially when mystery is one of those genres. Fantasy suspense novels are my absolute favorite. This book is a historical mystery, and while that may not be my immediate favorite genre, it was definitely an interesting mashup.

But aside from the creative genre, I don't know what this book adds to an overstuffed genre. I mean, sure, there's the genre blend, but there aren't any mind-blowing twists or fabulous characters. There's an archetypal
Jodi
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review. Such an awesome page-turner! I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review, and let me tell you, the hype on this book is well-deserved. Loved all the characters (especially Eric, his banter made me laugh out loud) and couldn’t put this one down! THE HIDDEN MEMORY OF OBJECTS has a captivating, twisty, cinematic narrative that chases secrets and objects across state lines and the sands of time right up to the very end.
Trisha
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
"But remembering is important. You're right to fight for how he'll be remembered."

Rating: 3.5
I think this one touched me a little more than usual because of the brother slant. I, too, am the only sibling left from the loss of a big brother. My loss was also sudden and shocking but, unlike Megan, my brother was older (adult) and I got to know him and the family he created. I never had to wonder who he was.

And that's what struck me the most. The heartbreak I felt for Megan as she learned something
Caitlin Christensen
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a surprising gem this book is! You think you’re getting one thing – a YA mystery with maybe a hint of the mystical - when really you are getting so much more than that. This is a romance, a thriller, a mystery, all tied together with a dash of historical fiction, a pinch of political and social commentary, and a heavy dose of magical realism. Oh, and of course there’s the fact that at its heart, it’s about how we process our grief when we lose someone we love. I loved it right from the ...more
3.5/5 stars

The Hidden Memory of Objects is a standalone YA contemporary novel.

The narrator is 15 year old Megan Brown. I actually thought that she was 16 for much of the book. Since her friends drive. And the book started off saying that she was in 8th grade two years before.

Her 17-18 year old brother Tyler has just died. The police say it might have been a drug overdose.

Megan is determined to figure out the truth about her brother's death.

Megan is a collage artist, constantly finding objects
Alexandra Ott
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read an advance copy of this book, and I absolutely love it! It's full of amazing elements: a compelling mystery, an emotional exploration of grief, tidbits of U.S. history, a sweet romance, and hints of the supernatural. It's so skillfully woven and beautifully written that it left me in awe. THE HIDDEN MEMORY OF OBJECTS is a stunning debut. Highly recommend!
Christina
Link for full review to come later.

*Disclaimer: An e-copy of this title was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. However, that did not influence this review in any way. All thoughts, quotes, and opinions will be of this version and not of the published edition.

I thought this was such a fun escapism type novel rooted in contemporary. As a lover of history, I found those slices of time included in this book to be very interesting. The plot of the story was
Summer Spence
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read an advanced copy of this book and was thrilled to have the opportunity!

I absolutely loved this book! The subtle mix of the United States' dark history with the character's troubled present made for a bittersweet read. The author deftly weaves in the reality of what grief looks like and how we try to process it. I was intrigued by the mystery and moved by the character's plight. I can't wait to get my own copy!!
Joanne O'Sullivan
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cool concept and so much intrigue in this DC-set mystery: art, politics, love, and Lincoln! So many twists and turns that keep you constantly on your toes and turning the pages!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Between Two Skies
  • Love and Gravity
  • Notes from My Captivity
  • A Strange Companion
  • The Puzzling World of Winston Breen (The Puzzling World of Winston Breen #1)
  • What Happened on Fox Street
  • Bad Romance
  • To Catch a Killer (Erin Blake #1)
  • Shakespeare's Secret
  • Dark Breaks the Dawn (Dark Breaks the Dawn Duology, #1)
  • Grit
  • The Hush
  • Phantom Limbs
  • This Is Not a Love Scene
  • Advantages of Being Evergreen
  • Gem & Dixie
  • The Wright 3 (Chasing Vermeer, #2)
  • You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone
Danielle Mages Amato works as the dramaturg for a theatre company in California. When she's not collaborating with playwrights on new work or researching obscure facts about theatre history, she writes YA novels about the places where the past and the present collide. Her debut THE HIDDEN MEMORY OF OBJECTS has been optioned for television, and is coming from Balzer+Bray/HarperCollins in March ...more
“Because Tyler isn't who I thought he was. And that means I'm not who I thought I was." I fought to keep my voice steady. "I know this might now make sense to you. But I have to put him back together. Or I can't put myself back together.” 1 likes
“Normal is a statistical invention. Not a desirable personality trait.” 1 likes