Start by marking “An Almond for a Parrot” as Want to Read:
An Almond for a Parrot

An Almond for a Parrot

‘I would like to make myself the heroine of this story – an innocent victim led astray. But alas sir, I would be lying…’

London, 1756: In Newgate prison, Tully Truegood awaits trial. Her fate hanging in the balance, she tells her life-story. It’s a tale that takes her from skivvy in the back streets of London, to conjuror’s assistant, to celebrated courtesan at her stepmoth
Published November 3rd 2016 by HQ

To ask other readers questions about An Almond for a Parrot, please sign up.
Emily I don't believe we ever did. Captain Truegood, when he told Tully, announced that Tully was already 'aboard' when her mother met him.

Start your review of An Almond for a Parrot
Amalia Gavea
‘’Alas, we players are unaware that the curtain goes up the minute we take our first gulps of air; the screams of rage our only hopeless comments on being born onto such a barren stage.’

This novel was a severe case of ‘I fell in love with the cover and I regret nothing.’ Instant love. When I read the blurb, I thought this was a great opportunity to renew my relationship with Historical Fiction works set in the 18th century, an era when seduction, decadence, and the joie-de-vivre- way of life
An Almond for a Parrot is an interesting mix of erotic romance, historical fiction, and magical realism set in 18th century London. This novel opens in the story's present-day with our narrator/heroine in prison for murder. She takes readers back to the beginning, where everything began...when she was married off at the age of 12. Don't worry, you won't be reading anything sexual at this age, but as with many women of that time who sought both survival and independence, her sexual awakening bega ...more
Aditi
“The gods made our bodies as well as our souls, is it not so? They give us voices, so we might worship them with song. They give us hands, so we might build them temples. And they give us desire, so we might mate and worship them in that way.”

----George R.R. Martin

Wray Delaney, pen name for Sally Gardner, an award-winning British children's author, has penned an intriguing and a very sizzling historical fiction called, An Almond for a Parrot that revolves around a young woman in London locked
Alex
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
2.5*

This book has a wonderful idea of a story. But it was executed in a poor manner, leading to low stars.

Tully Truegood is in jail, expecting a baby. She will also be executed if she can't prove her innocence in the murder of her husband Captain Spiggot. She is an orphan and a whore and she wants to tell us her story...

What I liked about this book:

1. The title was unique and interesting.
2. The book cover was beautiful (mine had embroidered art work)
3. There is magical realism
4. This story is se
Aoife

I received a free copy of this book from Harper Collins in exchange for an honest review.

Video review (spoiler free): https://bit.ly/2XfhxYx

It’s 1756 and Tully Truegood is languishing in prison, accused of murder. In Tully’s own words, she writes down her story so those reading can understand her actions. From ignored daughter to famed and beloved courtesan, the reader follows Tully through the high and lows of your young life until eventually arriving to how she ended up behind bars.

Th
Michael
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1756, London in Newgate prison, Tully Truegood is awaiting trial for the alleged shooting of her husband. How she got to be in the position is an exuberant and titillating story of despair leading to debauchery, magic, and murder. Tully faces a world full of misogyny and hypocrisy as her father puts her through misery as a child and then at the age of 12 is married off to clear a debt.

Tully's change from being the daughter of a drunken gambler to one of living a life of indulgence as a sought-af
H.A. Leuschel
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sexy, fun, magical - in one word: entertaining!
Annie ⚜️
Well, that was weird. It reminded me a bit of Crimson Petal and the White. Just a bit. Which, I admit, I kinda hated.

The magic and ghosts stuff? Um, cool but weird. The resolution? Um, WHAT? I can't even. The sex, meh, I was expecting to be titulated but a lot was sad and gross. Definitely, trigger warnings here. The stuff that happened to those four girls was horrific.
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
DNF at 24% (Audiobook via BookBeat UK!)

Well, this was a huge shame. I was expecting a creepy historical thrillery mystery, with a hint of a romance and hearing from the POV of Tully. Tully is serving time in Newgate Prison and is on the list of potentially being hanged due to a murder charge. The background of her life was harsh, scary and ultimately tragic. This looked like the makings of a fantastic read... but around 12% in, the content became very adult and erotic. In fact, far too erotic fo
Triduana
May 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017
Having read the premise of this book in the library, I was expecting some kind of historical crime mystery. What I got was part crime mystery, part fantasy, part erotic novel and part family saga. It seemed as if the author wasn't entirely sure which genre to follow, and so it became a bit of a muddle. The different genres never really blended together, it was either one thing or another, so while we were trying to work out her past the crime got forgotten, while we were 'entertaining' her past ...more
Allison
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pure erotic historical fiction goodness. A touch of magic as well!
Karen Mace
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paperbacks, arc
Lucky enough to be sent a copy of this from the publishers, Harper Collins, in return for a fair and honest review.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book!! Set around 1756, it starts in Newgate prison as we meet Tully Truegood who is awaiting trial for murder. So she sets out to tell us her story - and what a story it is!!

This isn't a light and fluffy book! It features some very graphic sexual scenes, but not over the top as Tully starts her journey from her very grim background, with a
Angie Rhodes
Sep 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: owned
Tully Truegood is an orphan, and a whore, she also sees ghosts, works with an ageing Magician and is soon the talk of the town.
I found this hard to read, for the simple reason, it tried to be too many things, and it was all jumbled up. Some readers will love it, I personally would not have picked it to buy,
Renita D'Silva
Oct 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Absolutely brilliant
Nicki Markus
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-historical
An Almond for a Parrot is an interesting book that blends magical realism into a tale along the lines of Fanny Hill. The story entertained me from start to finish and I was keen to see how Tully's journey would end. I did find some of the sexual euphemisms a little too flowery language-wise for my taste; its purple prose dragged me out of the story several times. Also, the ending, when it came, felt a tad rushed compared to the earlier pacing. However, regardless of these minor gripes, it was en ...more
Kris - My Novelesque Life
DNF @30%
2017; Mira/HarperCollins

I loved the cover to this novel and that it seemed to be a historical fiction with mystery and romance. Alas, this novel tried to do too much all together so it becomes muddled and also a bit much. There is romance, eroticism, mystery, magic realism, fantasy, historical fiction, and then I gave up. I tried reading one a month ago and was having difficulties, so I thought I would try audio but my mind kept wandering. I am calling it, DNF.

***I received a complimenta
I love a good historical smut book, but I couldn't handle all the talk of body parts being root vegetables. I was giggling and rolling my eyes, which probably wasn't what was supposed to happen.

And, ewww, child prostitution.
Emma
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting departure for Sally Gardner in this raunchy, magical, Georgian set novel with a lingering mystery at its heart. Incredible writing, an unforgettable character evolution in the lead, Tully, and an ending so bittersweet it's hard to know what to think.
Maja Ingrid
This book was a straight up bought-it-because-the-cover. Also the historic crime murder mystery part intrigued me as well, as I've noticed I kinda like that type of genre.

Had I know more what the book was about. I would not have read it at all. I didn't think a lot about the back saying Tully was a whore and courtesan. I should have. There was little about the murder-mystery and the stuff of what led up to the murder. It was however lots of sex. I was bored.

Also, there's rape in the book, and w
Joana
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not my type of book.
Noodles78
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Found this an interesting read. Part Crimson Petal and part Night Circus, this took me on a journey that I sometimes found a bit anxious and I had to put down. But I always had to pick back up again as I HAD to know what happened next.
Hannah
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I mean, I do think this book does have a lot of flaws - such as like some characters having more development than others, lots of underdeveloped plot lines, introducing a character and developing them and their relationship to the main character; only to barely write about them later in the book, and an ending that felt too neat to belong to this novel.

I note I did really enjoy this book, especially the writing in this book, the atmosphere, as Sally Gardner/Wray Delaney's books kind of pale in c
Elaine
This is the jail cell story of an 18th C woman's brief, strange life. As a girl, motherless Tully Truegood thought she could fly and see ghosts. Her father first turned her into his maid and then married her off at the tender age of 12. The rest of what I endured just seemed to be a chronicle of her sexploitation at the hands of adults. There's not much more to this story than that; not my cuppa.
Story❤
Crimson Petal & the White meets Tipping the Velvet with a dash of magic to spice the mix. 3.5 stars of enjoyable reading. ...more
Naomi Ferrao
Jun 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book... some hilarious descriptions of body parts and acts of naughtiness. A nice easy tale that had a little bit of everything, fantasy, love, friendship and humour.
Jane
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ooo errr vicar......... an absolute hoot of a book. Loved the storytelling, I was totally immersed in Tully’s life and just loved how unabashed she was. Quite sexy in places and I’m just very relieved I didn’t choose it for book club!
Benjamin Thomas
The novel opens in the year 1756 with the heroine of the story, Tully Truegood, locked up in Newgate prison, awaiting trial for murder. I don’t use that word “heroine” lightly but even though Tully herself denies it, I disagree and think the term is appropriate. The story is told in the form of a first person written account of what led her to be incarcerated at Newgate, but just whose murder she is accused of remains a mystery for most of the novel.

To be honest, I didn’t expect to like this nov
Tracy Rowan
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance readers, historical fans
Recommended to Tracy by: advance reader's copy
I began this with a certain amount of uncertainty because I had the sense that it was a Moll Flanders knock-off. And certainly there are echoes of Moll's story in this piqaresque novel/romance of Tully Truegood, but the tale here is warmer and much more appealing to the contemporary reader than Defoe's novel. Tully is warmer, certainly than the eponymous Moll, and while she loses her innocence and becomes a worldly woman in the course of the novel, she never becomes hardened to life.

Briefly, An
Shelbycat
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this book from the publishers in return for an honest review.
This is the story of Tully Truegood a young girl who has the power to see and make others see spirits, which she uses to great effect during this book. During her life she is a drudge for her drunk and violent father, she is a loved step daughter, and a whore of great repute.
I really enjoyed this historical novel by Wray Delaney, her first adult novel so far, and i hope not her last. The only reason i knocked off one star w
Kristen McDermott
A formulaic romance, but a well-told one that finds a clever balance between the supernatural and the historical. The eroticism is handled with taste and emotion, and the main character is predictably but believably plucky. Pleasant, escapist fare.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• A Shadow on the Lens
  • The Lost Ones
  • Blackberry & Wild Rose
  • The Corset
  • The Foundling
  • The Familiars
  • The Bone Shard Daughter (The Drowning Empire, #1)
  • The Miseducation of Evie Epworth
  • The Binding
  • Bone China
  • The Once and Future Witches
  • Rivals (Rutshire Chronicles #2)
  • In the Company of Strangers
  • The Burning Bride
  • Dear Zari: The Secret Lives of the Women of Afghanistan
  • The Dollmaker
  • The Lantern Men (Ruth Galloway, #12)
  • The Thief on the Winged Horse