Start by marking “Fat Tuesday” as Want to Read:
Fat Tuesday

Fat Tuesday

Cop Burke Basile has nothing left to lose. Marriage and career over, he focuses on nemesis Pinkie Duvall, flamboyant lawyer who saves killers from justice. Burke kidnaps Remy, Pinkie's trophy wife. Their attraction is electric. Remy will do anything to save her innocent sister, still in her alumni convent school. On Fat Tuesday, masks are stripped away.
Paperback, plus preview "Unspeakable", 458 pages
Published 2001 by Warner (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Fat Tuesday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fat Tuesday

Start your review of Fat Tuesday
♥Sharon♥
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it

Anywhoooo, in Fat Tuesday we meet Burke Basile and Remy Duvall. I’d be amiss if I didn’t mention the rather repulsive Pinkie Duvall and Wayne Bardo too. These two just bugged the crap out of me. There was not one thing I like about them but I am su
Mo
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I should do my reviews straight away. LOL, I know I liked it but not sure if it was a 4 or 5 star read. I read it over 3 weeks ago... I know, I know, my memory is dreadful. It was good though, I do remember that.

Burke Basile is a cop with nothing left to lose. Haunted by his partner's death, his marriage and his career over, he focuses on his nemesis, Pinkie Duvall, a flamboyant attorney who helps killers evade justice. Burke's shocking revenge centers around kidnapping Remy, the lawyer'
-ya
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sandra-brown
The villain was a completely deranged psycho.
The heroine was boring.
The hero was unstable.

I had a hard time believing the roles of these three characters in book. Also, there wasn't any strong connection between H/h. No chemistry whatsoever. The mystery did help move story forward, but everything else seemed flat. This book was not a good read for me.
Ingie
Review was written October 9, 2018

4 Stars - Thrilling good and perfect for me today

I listened to the 13:30 hours audiobook narrated by Jack Garrett.

Always glad to be back to a romantic suspense book by Sandra Brown. — Two and a half hour in and I was hooked to the story, liked these main characters and enjoyed listening to this for me new narrator.

Fat Tuesday is from 1997 and is the story about the cop Burke Basile who wants to get revenge. A, in his opinion, very corrupt and evil lawyer has
Carol Storm
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've seen Sandra Brown's novels around for years, but I always avoided them, probably because I was afraid there would be too much boring police work and icky crime scenes (like in Laura Griffin's technically excellent but romantically dull TRACER series) and not enough hot-blooded sex and steamy sexual tension.

Well, I was really wrong to avoid Sandra Brown, because FAT TUESDAY is an amazing book! And yet what shocked me as I kept on reading was that I loved this book precisely because it's NOT
Amy Metz
Jun 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
Ridiculous is the word that comes to my mind for this book. I like Sandra Brown, I really do. I've read a lot of her books and have loved them. Which is why I chose this one--because of her name and my past experience with her books. But I wasted my money. She insulted my intelligence with this book, and I'm not that intelligent. It angers me that a bestselling author can put out stuff like this. And I will be wary of future books by her, which is a shame.

The male mc is a mean, cantankerous, un
♥ Sandi ❣
3 stars
Read in March. Completed March 10, 2020

It has been some time since I have read a Sandra Brown novel. She used to be my go-to author when I needed something light or a change of venue. For years I read every single book she wrote, then about 20 yrs ago I started to expand my list of authors. This is the first Brown book I have picked up since and it is an older publication - from 1997.

I see why I went to Brown as a pallet cleanser. Her books are easy reads, no big twists or turns, everyt
Jackie
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
First part of the book is slow but it picks up after 150 pages or so!
Julie
May 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Sandra Brown is one of my favorites. I had not read this one. ( She has a lot of books!) It is an older title, 1989. But, it wasn't dated like many from that era can be. It was an uplifting story, which has been written many times over, about a woman who is able to escape a powerful, emotionally abusive husband and find true love, but it is also a crime novel with a few big surprises along the way. Romantic suspense is always a big favorite of mine, and so I really enjoyed this one. If you can f ...more
Aug 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
I won this book from Goodreads First Reads last month. Once I had a day or two to read, I finished this book in one sitting. The characters are interesting yet imperfect which makes the story that much more interesting. I found this to be a page turner with a unique premise.

Burke Basile, a New Orleans Detective, leaves the police department in the aftermath of a drug bust gone bad in which he accidentally kills his best friend and partner. In order to get revenge against the criminal attorney h
Cristina
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r-suspense
3,5 stars
Cheri
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit slow at the beginning but worth sticking with. A good crime drama set in New Orleans and the bayou swamp.
Jenna
Nov 16, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i wasn't sure about this b/c at the beginning both Basile & Remy are married and i didn't want to read about 2 people falling in love while having an affair.
But this wasn't what i expected and that wasn't quite where the characters were or went.
the writer was respectful of that and the story flowed naturally.
good suspense. the usual great twists & turns expected from Brown.
also, i liked the main characters more than i expected to.

Sonia189
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More a 3.6
I know this was written in the late 90s and it's not that far from the author's usual style but it just didn't win me over as easily as other novels by her did.
Megan Giles
Oct 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I really enjoy reading books by Sandra Brown. This one in particular had a few rough talking characters in it that made me cringe with some of their language from time to time though. I did especially love the ending of this, I guess all’s well that ends well!
Kristýna
I love Sandra Brown's books.Absolutelly!
Shirlene
Captain Douglas Patout was commander of Narcotics and Vice of the New Orleans Police dept.
Burke Bastile's partner, Detective Sergeant Kevin Stuart, had been shot in the line of duty by Burke Basile when Patrick (Pinkie) Duval used him as a human shield. Nanci was his wife. Burke's wife was Barbara.
Pinkie Duvall was the prosecuting attorney for Wayne Bardo who was found innocent of his death. The verdict was read on Feb. 5th. He technically hadn't been the shooter. Kevin's death was the result o
Alissa
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to agree with another reviewer's comment about this book: "After a very slow start, I ended up really enjoying this one. I do have to say though, if you are already a Sandra Brown fan I'm guessing you’ll enjoy it too but if you have never read any of her books, this one might not be the best one to start with."
Judy Churchill
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Even though I had some difficulty getting into this book it got very exciting about a third of the way in. New Orleans, which never fails to enchant, was the setting for a classic dirty cop story. Action and many colorful characters made this a superb read.
Nicole
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was such a page turner. Filled with many twists and turns it kept me guessing what was going to happen next. I'm definitely going to read more of her books since I enjoyed this one of hers so immensely. Excellent book!!
Tracy Smyth
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It started out fast paced but then it got bogged down a bit in the middle but then the action picked up again.
Kathe Pines
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sandra Brown has a formula that works. Combining murder, mayhem and an unlikely love tryst is guaranteed in each installment. Knowing that doesn't make it any less enjoyable. I know what I'm gonna get and Fat Tuesday didn't disappoint.
Inge
Jul 15, 2020 rated it liked it
I like Sandra Brown's writing and probably always will. However, I do find myself questioning the deep love that develops in a day plot as I get older. Maybe I'm just becoming a cynic!
Kristeen Hughes
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
round up to 4.5 stars.
Kate McDougall Sackler
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lending-library
What can I say, another Sandra Brown book where someone kidnapps someone else and then they fall in love. Same formulaic plot, but likeable characters and steamy love scenes. Works for me.
Jay
DNF at page 50 or 13%

I'm having rotten luck with books this week - I've marked at least 4 as DNF and the ones I DID finish were lukewarm at best. I thought a Sandra Brown would help me get out of this reading slump. I was wrong :(

The only thing I liked about the main characters were their names: Basile (hero) and Remy (heroine).

Cool names for everyone.

Except for Pinkie. I mean, he was supposed to be an evil hot guy (practically bursting with charisma) but I kept picturing him as Danny Devito.

Co
Amuelle Aguilar
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!

If you're an avid reader of Sandra Brown then you'll know how this girl can keep you on the edge of your seat through out the story!

This book has no boring scene. I just hate that her male leads have the ability to become verbally abusive at times. Yes, they do not hurt the women with their fists, but they are abusive with their mouths and I hate it.

Romantic aspect aside, the suspense is so LIT. I cannot bring the book down. This is one of my favorite SB books, next to French
Kristen
Apr 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
In Sandra Brown's Fat Tuesday, she wrote a steamy hot and suspenseful romantic suspense novel set in New Orleans. For cop Burke Basile, he had nothing to lose and focused on Pinkie Duvall, a lawyer who saved killers from justice. When Burke kidnapped Remi, Pinkie's wife, they had an electric connection, when she would do anything to save her sister, who was stashed away in a convent. During Mardi Gras, the masks were stripped away and secrets would be revealed to others.
Pat aka Tygyr
Jun 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
New Orleans is a character in this book. All of the characters in this novel are flawed to some extent. Many by their association with the city and its darker sides. All of the action leads up to the unmasking and learning who are the bad guys and the good guys on Fat Tuesday. I always enjoy Sandra Brown and I will definitely keep this one and reread it some day.
Sanda Brown Super...: Fat Tuesday 2 4 Jul 30, 2014 12:25PM

• The Devil's Own (Hellraisers, #2)
  • Eloquent Silence
  • A Treasure Worth Seeking
  • The Silken Web
  • Love's Encore
  • Words of Silk
  • Led Astray (Hellraisers, #1)
  • Honor Bound
  • Hidden Fires
  • Sweet Anger
  • A Secret Splendor
  • Seduction by Design

Sandra Brown is the author of more than sixty New York Times bestsellers, including STING (2016), FRICTION (2015), MEAN STREAK (2014), DEADLINE(2013), & LOW PRESSURE (2012), LETHAL (2011).

Brown began her writing career in 1981 and since then has published over seventy nove