Start by marking “Earthcore” as Want to Read:
Earthcore

Earthcore

Published October 15th 2005 by Dragon Moon Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Earthcore, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Dea
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Andrea Henger
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Earthcore
Scott Sigler
Dec 13, 2008 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
UPDATE: June 1, 2018
The good folks at Amazon have put the EARTHCORE Kindle version on sale for $1.49 (US only) for the month of June, 2018. If you haven't read it or want it for your Kindle library, now is the time!

Click here to snag EARTHCORE for $1.49.

UPDATE: March 27, 2018
The EARTHCORE paperback will be in stores on April 3, 2018. Boom! You can pre-order now from Amazon, Barns & Noble, or get autographed copies from Mysterious Galaxy Books in San Diego (where I live). All of those links
Joseph Spuckler
A fair book overall. Although there are many characters in the story, I didn't feel attached to or even like most of them. The story was OK, but reminded me of others. I was hoping for more geology and much less science fiction. Sci-fi, action adventure, staple.
Jeremy Hawthorne
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Holy Shit Mr. Sigler!! This is the best book I've read this year!! You are one of my favorite authors and Earthcore is now firmly in my top five favorite thrillers of all time, along with Infected! That makes you the only author with more than one title in any of my top five lists! I've been reading 3-4 novels a week for the past 35 years so shining brighter than all the rest is no small achievement sir!
Mel
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I did it, son...now you have to read one I choose for you!
✿ℎazℯℓ - thℯ ℛock Cℎick ℱairy✿
This book felt like an epic race to the finish line!

Earthcore is one of those books that you enjoy reading because of the thrill and mysteries. It was like watching a movie unfold, complete with mad scientists, an ambitious misguided businessman, an assassin and bizarre creatures! LOTS AND LOTS OF BIZARRE CREATURES!!!

The story revolves around a mining area which is supposed to give off a lot of money. It was a great vision and everyone felt excited for it. However, it turned out to be the cause
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary | "Empathy" - Look it up.
Earthcore is an interesting, much more foul-mouthed take on Journey to the Center of the Earth in my opinion. Except, in Sigler's version, it's not dinosaurs you come across, but something much more shiny and squishy. Once things get rolling (it takes a while), it's an action-packed adventure. There's one flight from danger after another, and several surprises await you.

And that's about all that I can say that's nice about Earthcore .

One of the things that annoyed me about Earthcore was the
Tammy
Mar 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, sci-fi
2.5

Book Summary:
Deep below a desolate Utah mountain lies the largest platinum deposit ever discovered. A billion-dollar find, it waits for any company that can drill a world's record, three-mile-deep mine shaft. EarthCore is the company with the technology, the resources and the guts to go after the mother lode. Young executive Connell Kirkland is the company's driving force, pushing himself and those around him to uncover the massive treasure. But at three miles below the surface, where the
O.S. Prime
Jun 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
Starts out as clash of stereotypical characters. Never stops being a big bore, partly because none of the paper-thin characters is the least bit likable. Even when the action and gore was at its fastest and most furious, I didn't care whether any survived.
Bill
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Billions of dollars worth of platinum, 3 miles below the surface is up for grabs. A ruthless mining company is staking its claim, but first a group of EarthCore employees and scientists will need to find a way to survive the night and quite possibly save the planet in the process.

I really enjoy Scott Siglers work. The guy can definitely tell a story. This may not have been my favorite so far, but it was fast, fun and entertaining. There were some genuinely likeable, as well as, (signature
Miriam
5 awesome anther discovered favorite narrator stars audio!

4 stars story. Everything about this story was awesome especially the wonderful cast of characters. My only issue was the length. It was too damned long. Some parts could've been shortened or taken out completely.
Jeremy
Dec 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: My fans and anyone who likes a fast-paced, fun thriller
Recommended to Jeremy by: The Author, Scott Sigler
Man, I'm glad I snagged a copy of this book before it became unavailable. Scott Sigler is a friend and Crown recently scooped all of his books, including this gem. The good news there is that we'll probably see it again, the bad news is that it's no longer in print...for now.

BUT, when it comes back in print, it's well worth reading. It's a subterrainean thriller, which I'm, for some reason, drawn to (my favorite novel is The Descent). Earthcore is fun, inteligent and scary. Three nights in a
David Estes
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Corrupt miners. Murderous AIs. ALIENS! This book had it all and kept me turning the pages late into the night. Trust me, you will not be able to predict who survives and who does not. A great read.
Karen’s Library
Scott Sigler added another 50% to his original EarthCore book and re-released it this month. I bought both the Kindle and Audible versions because I like to read or listen without interruption no matter what I'm doing and will switch back and forth. In fact, I became so obsessed with EarthCore, I couldn't put it down for 3 minutes to get a snack or drink and would have to switch to the audio so I wouldn't miss anything!

And Sigler...! I spent 2 nights ago having nightmares ALL. NIGHT. LONG. What
Wing Kee
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Long winded, paint by numbers SF horror.

World: The world building is fairly solid, it takes it time (boy does it take it’s time...) to explain the locale the history and the pieces of the story. The design of the world on the other hand is a bit unappealing to me, especially the villains of this book their descriptions don’t sound cool, they sound campy in a bad way so instead of cringing from disgust or fearful cause of their description I was giggling cause they sounded stupid.

Story: A fairly
Daniel
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
First of all I am sure that Scott Sigler has poured his heartblood into this novel especially concerning the scientific background. The man has definitely done his homework (though he takes quite some liberties here and there which I am sure he is perfectly aware of).

However the novel suffers from several weak spots that I think could have been avoided if Sigler had been as meticulously with his writing as he has been with his research.

To begin with the plot needed some serious tightening: After
Josh
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is possibly one of the unexpected hit thrillers of 2017, a cross-genre combo of sci-fi, horror, thriller, and paranormal. It behooves one to reveal too much in a review, and I recommend reading without doing too much research into the actual storyline in order to maximize the surprise. Let's just say that the feel of the book, and the scale, definitely changes as it progresses, and takes you into some very strangely cool and unexpected places. Aside from the prologue, the book feels like a ...more
Chibineko
Oct 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'm not joking either- I've yet to read or listen to a Sigler story that has disappointed me. Sure, there's some that I don't like as well as others, but overall I've enjoyed all of Sigler's works in either a book or podcast format.

Earthcore surrounds a group of the world's best & brightest in mining, run by the ruthless Connell Kirkland. Reeling from his own personal losses years earlier, Kirkland thinks only of the bottom line & what profits he can get for his company. When an enormous
Bogdan
This is not by first book by Sigler and, in a way, it has some similarities with the other one that i`ve read.

But i have to warn you, like the book by Laymon that i`ve recently read, the true action starts only after some one hundred pages.

When all the characters are presented and put in their place, only then we will sit calmly in our seats and have a hell of a ride.

i liked that the whole ideea wasn`t something usual and conventional and, in fact, it really worked good for this kind of a book.

Shawn Deal
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is the novel that put Scott Sigler on the map. This particular version is the 10th anniversary version of the novel. Scott Sigler has come back and rewritten the novel, adding lots more detail and trimming here and there to make it flow much better. This is the novel that most people got hooked with and really launched Scott Sigler into writing on a full time basis. This version of the novel is great and better in many ways than the original. This is a great jumping on point if you have ...more
Robin
Oct 06, 2009 added it
Set in Utah, very cool! A real page-turner! I think it'd make a great movie.
Indy Quillen
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate enough to purchase the revised and newly released version of this book at the author's signing. I'd read all three of his books in the Generations Trilogy and enjoyed them so I decided to try this one. Sigler did not disappoint. Stick with the well written but slower paced beginning and set up of characters and you'll be rewarded with plenty of action and tension later. More than a few times I found my heart racing while I read. I quickly discovered that some sections were not ...more
Robert Mingee
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Really waffled between 3 and 4 on this. Very creative story, probably a bit longer than it really needed to be, but still entertaining.

My biggest issue was that while having some REALLY unlikable characters can be a good thing, nearly every character in the book was a selfish, arrogant prick I was hoping would get eaten, even before I knew what the monster was. In some cases it was so extreme it was almost comical.

Still, I did enjoy it, and plan to read more of Scott Sigler's work, as I've heard
BigJohn
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books, e-books
The 2017 rewrite of Earthcore is a behemoth that gives readers more meat to the original story. There’s tons of additional information that manifests as character development, making the overall story much stronger.

The story itself is one most fans of Scott Sigler are quite familiar with; after all, this is the one that started it all. The basic structure is the same, but the entire story has been shaped and molded into a more mature telling, reflecting Sigler’s own matured writing style. The
Todd Oliver
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book! As always, Scott Sigler does not disappoint! I listened to the original podcast version of this a few years ago. This has been updated and narrated by a great narrator, Ray Porter. Sigler is one of my favorite authors and Porter is one of my favorite narrators, so of course I loved this book! Ray Porter does a great job with each of the characters. I'm very happy that his book ends with the possibility of a sequel!
Dea
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
It was an OK read. It would have benefited a lot from a more aggressive editor, who was willing to chop off unnecessary lines like the monsters were willing to cut off limbs. For example, if someone calls someone else a “Son of a bitch” I don't need to be told they are angry, I know this from what they said. The only time I need to know how they feel is, if it is the opposite of what one would expect. If you cut such obvious lines from the narrative not only will the book shrink by 1/3 but the ...more
David Graham
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'd never heard of the author before picking up this book. He clearly has quite a following in the USA who I'm sure admire his macho, all guns blazin', gore-splattered approach to story-telling. Earthcore was his first novel and originally written in 2001. The version I read is 50% longer but I can't quite see why he bothered. Characters are typically stereotypic and blatantly homophobic. It's rather an old style of writing that doesn't sit well in 2017. The story itself is fine, although ...more
Ruthie Jones
Jan 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ruthie by: John Miller
I really like this author. Earthcore is fantastic. Sigler definitely doesn't follow the same or similar path that other sci-fi writers follow. His subjects/concepts are so unique and fresh that they keep the reader interested and guessing the whole way through. Earthcore also has that anthropological element that makes me love this book even more. Anything I say about the plot will be a spoiler, so I will just say that this book is well worth it, and it's certainly action movie-worthy. I have ...more
LeFromage666
I'm a new Sigler reader, but I found Earthcore to be slow and boring. Things don't really begin to get interesting until somewhere in the middle, and, even then, some parts just drag on. I really liked the first two Infected books (the third, not so much), then I listened to Ancestor, which was super boring. I thought maybe this would be better than Ancestor, and it was, but not nearly as engrossing--and definitely not as fast paced--as Infected and Contagious.
Chris
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to be able to read the new rewrite early. As fantastical as Scott's books are, this one has a level of human realism that surpasses all the others. I think this now beats out Ancestor as my favorite Sigler book. Also, it completely rocks. Junkies will devour this one. For anyone new to Sigler's work, this is a great place to start.
Really, Veronica? 2 23 Apr 23, 2019 06:42AM

• The Others
  • Infinite
  • Dead Moon (Threshold, #3)
  • Commune: Book Four (Commune #4)
  • Paradox Bound
  • 7th Son:  Descent (7th Son, #1)
  • Outland
  • The Singularity Trap
  • Commune: Book Three (Commune #3)
  • Commune: Book Two (Commune #2)
  • Commune: Book One (Commune #1)
  • Level Five
  • Hell Divers (Hell Divers #1)
  • Reset
  • Ghosts (Hell Divers, #2)
  • Space Force
  • MirrorWorld
  • Existential (Crucible #1)

Get Scott's free, unabridged weekly audiobook episodes from iTunes by subscribing to his podcast.

#1 New York Times best-selling author Scott Sigler is the creator of fifteen novels, six novellas and dozens of short stories. He gives away his stories as weekly, serialized, audiobooks, with over 40 million episodes downloaded.

Scott launched his career by releasing his novels as