Start by marking “Launch: Using Design Thinking to Boost Creativity and Bring Out the Maker in Every Student” as Want to Read:

We Need More Creative Schools

Something happens in students when they define themselves as makers and inventors and creators. They discover powerful skills—problem-solving, critical thinking, and imagination—that will help them shape the world’s future … our future.

If that’s true, why isn’t creativity a priority in more schools today?

Educators John Spencer and A.J. Juliani
Published May 26th 2016 by Dave Burgess Consulting, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Launch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Launch

Kris Patrick
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the second and probably last book I've read from Dave Burgess consulting. Both labeled Reading as a consumptive activity. I fiercely disagree.

I believe reading is an act of creativity.
Nat
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Flew through this just this morning; I have four pages of crazy color-coded notes in my Moleskine, and tons of ideas/questions/connections about authentic audiences, problem-solving, and experimenting in EVERY core subject. Two take-aways: 1) RESEARCH is NOT READING, and 2) there are numerous reasons why marketing should be taught in schools (I clapped, cheered, did a cartwheel for that section!)... looking forward to discussing this book with colleagues.
Greg
Jun 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
solid read; treat it like the handbook on design thinking for the classroom. lesson plans, scaffolds, and more. very practical and strong reference material to spark ideas and provide appropriate structure for your next LAUNCH cycle!
Erika
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, 2017
I wish I could get more excited over this book. I really had high hopes but it didn't inspire me. Passed it on to a colleague who is just starting to learn about this type of teaching. Hopefully he'll get some new ideas.
Liz
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thinking about leading a group of K-12 teachers through an optional book study to expand our understanding of design thinking. Definitely a good option with actionable items.
Laura Howell
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal reading. This book has become an invaluable resource as I prepare to move my teaching staff from a traditional mindset to a culture of practicing design thinkers. It was especially important to me to have a better understanding of what the design process entails and Launch has thoroughly answered all of my current questions and more.
Trever
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Loved the design learning process all rolled up into a book, definitely will use this next year, just wish there wasn't 1 paragraph about design learning and math.
Kate Laird
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good concept but could have been half the length and still as helpful. The first couple chapters are basically “cheerleading” to get you to understand anyone can be creative. The remainder are spent discussing the LAUNCH steps. The first “L” step is in my opinion the best to parse ideas and conceptualize how you could implement this.

The main issue I have is that the book keeps stating that saying “but I have a curriculum I need to address” or “but I have standards I need to address” is essential
Quinn
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, how-to
We are all creative, but not all of us are makers. Why do we find it so devastating to fail, when that is the path to understanding and improving? Why do we push children away from creativity and into conformity that leads to groupthink?

This book isn't a philosophy book, although there is a lot of background into the authors' thinking. This book is designed to teach middle-school children design thinking. I find it useful to read books written by teachers for middle-school kids. It's a way for
Lisa Kraus
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book had great information about how to lead students through the creative process and all of the risks that are part of it. The authors emphasized that students need authentic experiences and research doesn't need to be something that occurs just once a year. Major takeaways - even when using a process like the Launch Cycle one has to be realistic, we don't live in a 'utopia' and it won't always be perfect. We also have to be patient, the cycle uses a series of skills that take time to dev ...more
Melody Riggs
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
This took me a while to get through as I was digesting the information. I found the idea of taking students fully through the design thinking process (the LAUNCH cycle) to be intriguing. There are definitely elements I want to incorporate in my classroom. However, I think the authors had some pretty ideal situations and students. I teach in an urban school and only see my students for 45 minute chunks-- those two factors right there make a lot of what they propose seem out of reach. However, I'm ...more
Marc
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Design Thinking is an industrial model that has been adapted to fit all manner of applications including education. Some would argue that an off-the-shelf application of Design Thinking to teaching is entirely ineffective. I looked to Launch! for a more thoughtful approach, and for the most part, found it. Filled with many sound educational principles, Launch! provides some great fodder for thinking and great ideas for application directly in the classroom.
Holly Mueller
I enjoyed this book we did for a Hamilton County ESC Instructional Center book study. I love the innovation, creativity, and design thinking Spencer and Juliani teach us about - taking risks in the classroom keeps passion alive for teachers and students! Students need choice, opportunities to create, and support from a passionate educator.
MyNguyen1709
Really great book for educators who desire to using design thinking as a framework for Maker and unleash creativity and innovation in each students. Launch cycle: Look, listen, learn; Ask lots of questions, Understand the problem or process, Navigate ideas, Create, Highlight what's working and failing.
Tara Schuhmacher
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The awesome detailed lesson plans at the end really put this book (which I already had learned so much from) over the top. They not only give me a great blueprint for creating my own LAUNCH projects, this project in and of itself is great!
Darren Dennstedt
Oct 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Simplistic ideas presented in the book rehashing what others have already done.

The authors attempt to create a new Engineering Design Process and call in LAUNCH. Simplistic ideas presented about innovating in the classroom.
Amelia
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read for the 2019-2020 school year. It was pretty interesting, but got a little over-explanatory. After a while I got the point, but it just kept going. Will be interesting to see what conversations we have this year in our PLCs.
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I used to hate teaching research. This book shows teachers how to go about tapping into students' passions to complete authentic inquiry and discovery with an authentic audience. I have about 57 sticky notes in it now marking awesome ideas. If you teach, you need to read this book.
Julie
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nice how to for classroom in need of structure in design thinking!
A. Somers
This was a worthwhile read for anyone involved in creating maker spaces, or implementing design challenges for students.
Kendall
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education-books
ABSOLUTELY INVALUABLE for anyone looking to advance learning in the classroom. Takes inquiry and design and merges them into a process easy for teachers to implement and for students to understand.
Lindsay
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Explained how to do a lot of the things I felt my classroom was missing. Excited to implement new ideas this school year!
Kathy Gorski
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nothing new to me, really, but practical thoughts for immediate implementation.
Chris Loeffler
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education-books
Helps you determine how to incorporate design thinking in your classrooms.
Tonya Shaw
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: professional
Solid read that outlines the creative/design process. It gives practical classroom examples and steps for teachers to use to implement a more inquiry based classroom culture.
Alice
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
Easy to read book about design process and supporting students in understanding it
A
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very practical explanation of how to implement design thinking in schools with lots of helpful tips and links to resources.
Lynn
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Every educator must read this book! It's a game changer for our teaching, for our learning spaces, and most importantly, for our students.
Jessica Evans
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I used this book along side service learning. It works!
Molly Dettmann
Jul 24, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5- I liked the overall concepts and think some compliment GID. Need to read a physical copy so I can mark it up and take better notes.
Region 10 Prof Reads: Resources for Launch 2 9 Mar 08, 2017 04:23PM

• The Innovator's Mindset: Empower Learning, Unleash Talent, and Lead a Culture of Creativity
  • Passionate Learners: How to Engage and Empower Your Students
  • Who's Doing the Work?: How to Say Less So Readers Can Do More
  • Kids Deserve It: Pushing Boundaries and Challenging Conventional Thinking
  • Nonfiction Craft Lessons: Teaching Information Writing K-8
  • Disrupting Thinking: Why How We Read Matters
  • Who Owns the Learning? Preparing Students for Success in the Digital Age
  • Creating Cultures of Thinking: The 8 Forces We Must Master to Truly Transform Our Schools
  • Better Conversations: Coaching Ourselves and Each Other to Be More Credible, Caring, and Connected
  • The Curious Classroom: 10 Structures for Teaching with Student-Directed Inquiry
  • The Digital Writing Workshop
  • It's Not All Flowers and Sausages: My Adventures in Second Grade
  • Ditch That Textbook: Free Your Teaching and Revolutionize Your Classroom
  • Wondrous Words: Writers and Writing in the Elementary Classroom
  • Lifelong Kindergarten: Cultivating Creativity Through Projects, Passion, Peers, and Play
  • What Connected Educators Do Differently