Jump to ratings and reviews

Forever #1

Serenity

This is an alternate cover edition for ASIN: B01GKDJGUK

To say I know where this story begins is to say I  remember what lifetime started it all…and why. What I do know is this lifetime is hard and cruel…maybe like the rest. That is until I meet him–the light that shines and guides me. To where, I don’t know, but my soul chooses to follow regardless. I believe my soul has done this before. I believe I will follow him…forever.

"The toll on my spirit had slowly broken me down—day by day, night by night, drink by drink, hit by hit—to the limp, fragile, lost girl that Dereck Hamilton . . . carried away."

A destructive home life silently destroys Serenity, a 16-year-old girl, until her broken spirit is given a gift in the form of an old journal that sends her a visitor in the night. The cloaked woman teaches Serenity that the lingering feeling of missing a part of her soul may not be a figment of her imagination, and with these words, Serenity’s journey, of this lifetime, begins.

"Away from the sun I close my eyes

About the author

India R. Adams

45 books1,248 followers
Souls on fire…

USA TODAY bestselling author India R Adams writes stories of souls on fire. Whether India’s characters are feeling the heat from hell or the wings of grace, they are all transforming and want to share their journey with you. Her novels range from Dark MC, Paranormal, to Contemporary, but each story is either a path of destruction or a road to redemption.

Sometimes both.

So, if you want to read about voyages of the heart, the grit to rise from one’s knees, or the strength to break free of the binds of a spirit, then pick one of India’s stories because she believes damaged souls are worth saving and that there is nothing more beautiful than a soul on fire.

One of the best ways to follow India and stay up to date with her latest work is her newsletter. As a thank you gift, she is presently offering Hostile Illusions with the signup!

NEWSLETTER : https://bit.ly/2IszVH7

WEBSITE : https://indiaradams.com/

MORE WAYS TO FOLLOW!

AMAZON : https://www.amazon.com/India-R-Adams/...

INDIA’S FLAMES : https://www.facebook.com/groups/17666...

BOOKBUB : https://www.bookbub.com/authors/india...

TIKTOK: http://www.tiktok.com/@indiaradams

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 (1%)
1 star
1 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 81 reviews
Profile Image for SueBee★bring me an alpha!★.
2,417 reviews13.8k followers

Genre: Paranormal Erotic Romance
Shh… ARC Giveaway: https://goo.gl/uqgC3u
LIVE! | AMZ US | AMZ UK |
Blurb:
To say I know where this story begins is to say I remember what lifetime started it all…and why. What I do know is this lifetime is hard and cruel…maybe like the rest. That is until I meet him–the light that shines and guides me. To where, I don’t know, but my soul chooses to follow regardless. I believe my soul has done this before. I believe I will follow him…forever.

"Away from the sun I close my eyes
and release myself into the unknown
I hope she is there
I hope she is there…"

✿ ✿ ✿ ARC Giveaway! ✿ ✿ ✿
❀ Shh… Summer Buzz Book ARC Giveaway: https://goo.gl/uqgC3u
Join for direct links to work. GR redirects all non-members.
❀ Join Shh…: http://goo.gl/OmQUZv
❀ RSVP: https://goo.gl/bvZGC3
❀ Author sign-up: https://goo.gl/uUUetK
Profile Image for Snow.
2,188 reviews632 followers
April 17, 2017
So, India R. Adams , challenged me to see if her book Serenity can make me cry. Now my besties Shanny and Denise ( Sirens Book Reviews http://sirensbr.wix.com/sirensbookrev... ) know that - me crying is like that sayin "when hell freezes over" but I'm up for the game, just so I can see how far emotionally I can go 😏😈 LOL

Let's do this!!!

Reading finished April 14, 2017.

I didn't cry per se, but this was one of the most emotionally fulfilling books I have ever read!

India R. Adams writes a poetry in motion while she presents events that are painfully real, devastatingly cruel in grasp, hard to process and yet she gives us hope, deliverance and catharsis through out love and devotion beyond any measure, beyond comprehention!

This is a story about being different and being placed in a cruel and abusive environment that will test the border lines of these two beautiful teenage girls and shape their paths towards the freedom of their physical lives, mental and emotional states annd inner spiritual connection, through out reviving friendship, special bond that transcends time, as they find strength in each other and the few special people around them, they would find love. But before that can happen, the hardship of growth, of life itself, of circumstances that are destined, of faith that can NOT be avoided, after the pain of loss and suffering the meaningful essence will come through and it will shine through the dark...
To love someone, truly love someone, means that self sacrifice is sometimes the choice that has to be made.

I can't really explain everything that transpires through out the story, I just let go and felt it. I was placed into these alternate world of painfully beautiful experiences...and the only segment reliable that can't be taken for granted as it connects every sphere, spirit, material, non-material, palpable or not...is the notion of transcendence of eternity - TIME - eternal love - TIME
"Not even death will part us, will it, Dereck?" He smiles.
"No Baby Doll, we are forever."

I honestly feel like I can't find words worthy of this story. I can only express my own emotional state and appreciate the fondation I keep Building this notion upon, and keep on cherish the beauty in everything.

You dont want to miss out on this experience. You won't be sorry if you decide to enter this catharsic world, in fact just the opposite. You will feel alive and grateful for the little things you should cherish as precious every single day.

India R. Adams is an author worthy of your attention and time, I know she enriched mine.

***Complimentary COPY given by the author in exchange for an honest review***

photo IMG_3173_zpserfdzm2a.jpg
Profile Image for Irena BookDustMagic.
603 reviews472 followers
Read
August 21, 2016
DNF

I gave up when I reached sth about 20% of the book.

This was just not for me. It was way too cheezy for my taste and I found myself lost at times bc all the love scenes made me feel like the time passed bc it felt like love statements were just too strong for this short amount of time in which they were made.

The main story seemed like it had a potential but I knew I wouldn't like it as much as I would like to bc I kept rolling my eyes over and over again.

I decided that the fairest thing would be just to stop wasting my time, dnf it and give it no rating then to finish it and give it a low star(s) rating when in the reality the main reason I did not like this book has more with me then the story itself.

I have to state that I can see some younger readers could enjoy this book, especially fans of the Twilight Saga.
Profile Image for Carrie.
3,040 reviews1,502 followers
July 28, 2016
Sixteen year old Serenity hides her secret of her abusive home life well. She only has a handful of friends that she trusts but even they do not share in that horror which haunts her. Serenity also know there's something a bit different about her than others. She can see the dark or light that surrounds a person and has visions of other lives and a woman that she feels connected to.

Serenity is a book that holds so much in the pages that it's hard to describe and do it justice. It's definitely an emotional roller coaster ride from start to finish that will have a reader laughing and crying at any given moment. Serenity will hook you into her story very early on and have you guessing until the very end on just where the book will take you.

As usual with a book from India R. Adams I felt like she lives and breathes her characters and brings them to life to tell their stories. With such emotional and tough subjects involved such as abuse, rape and alcoholism it's a tough read in spots but also there's a light to the characters as they find a way to deal with all that is going on and some very heartwarming moments. A touch of fantasy involved in this one was just the icing on the cake to make this a very unique and wonderful read.

Overall, great writing that makes you feel every emotion along the journey and that brings the characters to life. Definitely one I'd recommend checking out.

For more reviews please visit https://carriesbookreviews.wordpress....
Profile Image for J. Kahele.
Author 13 books439 followers
July 28, 2016
beautiful waters photo: Peaceful Waters BlueAniLake.gif

This is the best way to describe this book, serene and filled with such beauty.
Serenity is a very special seventeen-year old girl, who lives in a not so special home with a mother who completely drove me crazy in the story. She knows she is different, she feels things and can see the light(good) and darkness(bad), in every living thing. She stumbles across a diary that she is amazed by because the words written on the pages are so similar to what Serenity is experiencing in her own life. She begins to dream about the girl who wrote the diary and feels instantly linked to her, emotionally.
Like her, Serenity’s best friend Sky also has a not so pleasant home life. But they are both very lucky because they have a couple, Josh and Jolene, that helps to take care of them. It’s this couple that introduces them to Dereck and Rocco. Serenity is smitten with Dereck almost immediately and it’s when the visions begin and Serenity is thrust into a world of the unknown.
4.5 Stars.
Profile Image for Dianne.
6,765 reviews579 followers
October 3, 2016
Once again, India R. Adams blazes her own trail with depth, drama, charm and suckered punched my heart with the raw pain and a beautiful soulmate connection for a girl who sees emotions in colors, has dream visions and lives in a brutal reality. Serenity goes beyond an emotional rollercoaster as Ms. Adams exposes the ugly truths of dysfunctional families, child abuse and alcoholism, while giving a teen girl the support system few people truly have from unlikely sources, other teens and a secret diary.

Serenity and her best friend have been tied at the heart for years. Each lives a secret life of abuse and for so long had only each other to cling to. When older teens become their surrogate family, an unbreakable bond occurs and they find a safe place to land in the storm. When Serenity meets Dereck, she feels she has always known him and his kind and protective aura. When life reaches crisis-nightmare level, it is Dereck and his family that become her true shelter from the storm and they will go to any length to remain together. Is Dereck really Serenity’s future? Have the Fates saw fit to give a young woman the life she deserves or will they have one more mountain for her climb? Will she be strong enough to meet the summit?

When it comes to deep and meaningful writing, India R. Adams knows how to dig in and present a tale of heart that exposes tough topics while still bringing the joy of great reading to all who open her books. Her attention to setting a tone and then changing it up just a touch is brilliant as what starts out as a group of teens together, seemingly a little over the top in their exuberance reveals the true story of the value of support through hard times. Add in some romance, sadness, humor and wonderful characters and you’ll be hooked on the magi that is India R. Adams’ writing.

I received this copy from India R. Adams in exchange for my honest review.

Series: Forever - Book 1
Publisher: India's Productions; 1 edition (July 26, 2016)
Publication Date: July 26, 2016
Genre: Fantasy - Magical Realism
Print Length: 509 pages
Available from: AmazonBarnes & Noble
For Reviews & More: http://tometender.blogspot.com

Profile Image for L.N. Denison.
Author 5 books198 followers
June 29, 2017
Heart breaking in places!

I know I have probably said this before, but i'll say it again! I am a great fan of India R. Adam's work and always will be. She has a unique style and the way she translates her stories to paper is nothing short of amazing. I think she is one of the only people I know who can pull off the first person POV properly.

Now to the nitty gritty! Serenity deals with many different topics. Some of them I can relate to, but won't divulge, as it is a part of my past that I choose not to openly discuss.

The main character, Serenity was doing really well hiding her homelife from her friends until an incident involving her close friend, Sky was brought to light...then everything seemed to be more open. She had some great support from her friends, especially her boyfriend.

Again! I think I felt every emotion possible as I read this book...and felt a little uncomfortable...but that is what makes a good book. I'm now working my way through the second book in the series. This is a must-read, and it will break you...mark my words!

140 reviews3 followers
July 26, 2016
Actual rating: 4.5 Stars

Full Review on my blog: http://kaitbooktopia.blogspot.com/201...

Serenity was such a beautiful and carefully crafted story that you are bound to fall in love with. You will feel so many emotions that keep you invested in the story and characters. I 110% recommend this story. It is definitely one I will re-read over and over again.
Profile Image for India Adams.
Author 45 books1,248 followers
Read
January 31, 2020
Serenity is a very heavy book. I warn, she is NOT for the faint of heart. This novel will show sides of people that are not pretty, and that is the point. It will also show support through beautiful characters, representing the wondrous depths of the human heart.
Help children that are facing abuse at home.
This novel was written by me, as an adult, for the child I was… who wished for more…
Profile Image for Mimiorphee.
482 reviews22 followers
October 10, 2018
This book is a true UFO, as I've never read that kind of story before. It's long, very long, and emotionationally intense. Don't think you'll get through it unfeeling, this is a moving story! With the spiritual/ magical/ mystical and very enigmatic tone, we are plunged into the heroine's cruel life.

Serenity is a teenage girl who lives with abusive parents, she deals with domestic violence and alcohol. From the beginning you know that it's going to be a difficult read, and the heart-wrenching scenes   will soon confirm the sensation.

But there is so much more beyond sorrow and pain! The resilience and incredibly strong feelings binding Serenity and her friends feel like a much needed reprieve from her horrible family. Very few authors have that ablitily to make you see and feel the light in the most sad and painful moments. India has that gift. She will make you cry and then smile, she will make you feel her character's distress and then their healing love toward one another. Their connection, compassion, empathy and  kindness form a shield around Serenity, one that feel like a soothing balm. I don't know if I'm making much sense here, but if you give it a try (you need to), you'll instantly recognize what I'm talking about.

Serenity is a profound read about survival and the power of love, of being surrounded by the right people and the purity of feelings. Something to think about, I sure did!

I VOLUNTARILY REVIEWED AN ARC COPY OF THIS BOOK. THANK YOU!!!
Profile Image for Sharon Mariampillai.
1,964 reviews85 followers
July 1, 2017
I received a copy from the author, in exchange for an honest review.

Thank you India R. Adams for the opportunity to read your book. This was an amazing read. The concept really intrigued me. Also, after reviewing her novella, Blue Waters, I really fell for the author's writing. The story was a beautiful masterpiece. The characters were wonderfully developed. Serenity is a special girl who lives in a not so loving home. I felt bad for the things she went through. Her best friend, Sky, also from a rough home life, has been through a lot of things. Their friends, Josh and Jolene, aka the Wise Ones, take care of them and act as their mother and father in a way because they are really caring and nurturing towards them. They meet Josh and Jolene's Crew: Alex, Payton, Dereck, and Rocco. Rocco becomes smitten with Sky, while Dereck and Serenity have a special attraction. The story was heartbreaking at moments, especially close to the end of the book. I cried a bit during the ending chapters. The ending was beautiful. I can't wait to read Book 2. Overall, an incredible read.
Profile Image for Yesha- Books Teacup and Reviews.
621 reviews127 followers
May 10, 2017
(Note: I received book from the author, in exchange for an honest review. I am glad I got a chance to read this book. Many thanks to author.)

This book is about social abuse and bully, how that can affect so deeply to a person, struggle of coming out of that suffering to a whole peaceful person. How friendship and love that can heal anything in life.

This novel featuring Serenity, who was born different, had a gift to see aura of people, having a dreams of brown cloaked woman who giving signs to her in her life. She living in house that her parents has turned into dark battle ground and even at school she is facing bullies. In this lonely, tormenting, terrifying world, her best friend Skyler and young couple- Josh and Jolene- are life boat for her. They are like family to her who fill the gap that her own parents had given. They eventually bring a life savior in her life, Dereck. When they first meet, they feel they know each other from many life times. Can Dereck and Serenity's friends save her from the darkness of her life? Are Dereck and Serenity meant to be together? Who is that cloaked one in her dreams?

Characters: Crew - the Wheel of this ship - Serenity, Dereck, Josh, Jolene, Rocco, and Skyler- they were so adorable. I wish such friends in everyone’s life. The boys were so loving and I could feel the pain of girls. I loved Josh and Jolene the most in the book, without them I can’t imagine the life of other crew member. The love between these couples- Josh and Jolene, Dereck and Serenity, Rocco and Sky- was incredible.

What I liked in this book- Everything...! Characters, their powerful emotions, love and friendship of crew- they just drew me in their world and I was lost in them. Poems and songs-they were remarkable. I like how India include music in her books, it make them so unique. Deep moral behind the story that can motivate children/women who has faced abuse in life.
I was literally crying from climax to the end. This part of the book touched me the most. I am going to read this whole series.

I recommend this book to everyone.
Profile Image for Sage Knightly.
524 reviews26 followers
August 1, 2016
4.5

Serenity is a heartfelt journey that takes you on an emotional ride through hopelandia. Even when your heart is broken, you're healing from all the hope this book gives you. Even when you're surrounded by the darkness, the light always finds a way in.

Serenity is a 17-year-old (she starts off 16) girl who is abused and has an alcoholic for a mother. She doesn't tell anyone, not even Sky, her best friend who she can't live without and is connected to in a way that they feel what each other feels. Their journey is a tough one, as they make new friends, find love where they never expected it, and secrets come tumbling out while more are made. Darkness attacks them, and sometimes they get lost, but the hope and light keeps them together.

WRITING
The author's writing is brilliant. I laughed, I cried, I cheered. I became so invested in these characters and their lives that I forgot I was reading a book. The writing sucked me in and didn't let me out until I finished the book. I thought about the characters constantly while I wasn't reading and imagined the different paths the author could take them. The writing is simply amazing.

CHARACTERS
They were great. At times their voices did seem to blend, and the shorties did seem a bit too childish and dependent after they met Rocco and Dereck. Otherwise, they were all strong, compassionate, selfless characters.

Jolene and Josh were the parents of the group, protective and watchful, understanding. They listened to their friends and got them back on their feet every time, even if it meant giving them a reality check. They fought endlessly for their friends.

Serenity and Sky, the shorties, were the babies of the group. They were the shortest, but also the most sorrowful as they both have tough home lives. Glued together, they're attached at the hip and feel everything the other feels. They're both compassionate characters who appreciate their friends. They make others see the beauty in things. Sky is a bit more outgoing, but they're mostly similar.

Dereck and Rocco are the romantic interests, the main protectors of the shorties. They find out what true love is and they treasure it. They are everything a girl could want in a boyfriend, understanding, gentle, kind, loving. They made their girls feel treasured.

ROMANCE
There is a bit of a love triangle with Dereck and Rocco's exes, and the romance is instant, but it doesn't feel like it. We have visions and chemistry that make it seem like it was meant to be, and it was. I adored every moment of the romance, and I'm not usually a big fan of it. I was rooting for people, wanted a pair together and another to make it out of the darkness. I never stopped caring, I actually cared too much.

PLOT
I didn't predict anything correctly at all. There were twists and paths that I never saw coming. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time, and I loved it! It did get dramatic at times, but I didn't really care because I enjoyed the story too much. And while I hate that something so sad had to happen, it brought this story together in a tighter, hopeful way. I can't wait to see where the author takes us in book two!

OVERALL
Serenity takes you on a journey of heart ache and hope, where you learn to treasure things in life and appreciate what you have. The author wasn't scared to give us details about the abuse (though it was only a few scenes), or the darkness of depression and sadness. Healing takes a long time, but with loved ones by your side, fighting for you, you'll make it through.

*Review originally posted here
*A huge thanks to the author for providing me with an eARC in exchange for an honest review!:)
Profile Image for Briana.
498 reviews19 followers
August 12, 2016
Wow. I am utterly speechless right now. This novel has everything in it; love, disaster, heart ache. It had funny moments and sad moments. But overall, every emotion/every situation was written beautifully.

When I started this book, I was not prepared for the intensity it portrays. At times I had to stop reading for awhile and then come back because of its realism, and since some of the experiences Serenity went through India went through as well got me...

While reading I laughed, pouted *ahem*, cried, almost threw my kindle at the wall. Overall just an amazingly written novel with real situations in it that isn't sugar coated.

The writing style of India Adams is spot on. I love the characters and their personalities. Each character is unique and has their own story, which I thought was planned out brilliantly.

The fantasy portion of it was written uniquely as well. Like I said before I wasn't prepared for the intensity of it, but overall incorporated beautifully. And will love to read the rest of this series

I don't really have any big critiques that influence my rating. At times the story was dragged on in some parts where I could see the author was trying to portray a certain emotion, but at times I felt like we got the point a chapter before. I also think some questions Weren't answered in this book, but hoping they will be answered in the next books in the series.

A heart wrenching story. A must read. Thanks India for allowing me to read your book. And thank you for allowing me to be the first to receive an arc copy. I absolutely love your bravery with writing this book. I applaud you.

5 star rating

**ARC provided by author for an honest review**

Profile Image for Roya.
120 reviews5 followers
May 21, 2017
I received this in exchange for an honest review.

This book is about a group of teenage friends and their lives together as they struggle with issues of bullying, abuse, opening up, and growing up. The main character can see auras and has strange dreams and visions that lead her to figure out that she is connected with her lover and friends through past lives.

My main issue with this book was the characters and the dialogue.

All of the friends are good people that are amazingly kind and talented. No one ever tries to hurt anyone and they're all friends forever (it seems literally). Pretty much everyone outside of
the friend group is just bad and have murky auras. In short, one-sided characters.

The dialogue - there's a lot of it, it's repetitive, and it doesn't do much to move the story along. Much of the book is them living out their daily lives and their daily lives are pretty boring. I get that the time they spent together and the dialogue were supposed to help me get attached to the characters. It was supposed to make me laugh, or cry, but most of it fell flat for me. Instead it was all very cheesy and I couldn't stand reading over and over about how great a person everyone was and how much they loved each other.

So to sum up, the one-sided characters and repetitive dialogue made for a very boring and painful read.
Profile Image for DMCechak.
1,113 reviews15 followers
March 7, 2018
“Sky wants us to be happy today,”

I have to admit that I had to give myself a lot of breathing space after reading Serenity. Even as I start to write this review, my heart flutters with love for the characters, Serenity and the other part of her soul, Skyler; Derrick and Rocco; and Jolene and Josh.

This book made me believe in love more than any other I have ever read. The deep in your heart, magnetic pull, emotional clashing of love. Love that ties you, whether in its healthiest form, or not.

I feel blessed to have read India’s story
Profile Image for Tamara Harrington.
512 reviews27 followers
March 8, 2018
I am not even sure that I can put into words how absolutely amazing this book is!
The first thing that you need to know is that this is a super intense book, and as per the usual with India, there is her own brand of magic that goes into it. You need to delve in with an open mind and an open heart.
This is not a sexy book and is all about the feelings. India writes from a truly amazing place with friendships that you can only admire as they are closer than most families, and love that knows no bounds. I don't care what religion or background you have, this book puts your head into a whole new way of thinking, using the power of positivity and connection to guide you through it.
Having said all this, I do not think that I have ever read anything like this and I probably never will.
It is impossible for me to try and explain how this book works so take my advice and just go forward with an open heart and an open mind, if you have those things then you will seriously be able to enjoy these beautiful, gut-wrenching words. This book is not for the faint of heart and is heavy, so taking her on is not to be taken lightly.
India puts her own uniqueness into every word that she writes and it makes me happy to be able to read them. Though this is only book one, I will be climbing into book two shortly to see where this journey is taking The Crew.
This is my honest and unbiased review.
Profile Image for BethAnne Wright.
Author 11 books18 followers
February 19, 2017
I genuinely enjoyed this book even more than I expected! India captures the perfect mix of good story telling, dynamic relationships, real life issues, and supernatural/spiritual tones. The heartbeat of Serenity is not just in the beautiful story it tells, but in the deeply human experiences and themes shared throughout the book. Serenity has reminded me all over again that love is always stronger than any darkness and that resilience and healing are always possible- no matter what someone has been through. I picked up this book expecting something interesting and entertaining for my mind. I closed the last page and set down this book realizing it left me with something good and healing for my heart. I look forward to reading India's other works!
Profile Image for Bonnie.
302 reviews8 followers
September 12, 2016
OMG!! This is a must read I loved the book. It really pulled at me, and it made me bawl. I am someone that I dont always show a lot of emotions when I read, but if someone would have seen me reading this book they would be wondering what was wrong with me. IT touched me so much and it is an amazing book. India R. Adams is new to me author and I will be reading more books by her.

I give this book an A++++ I mean just theres not enough star to give it but do give 5 but would give more if if I could.
Profile Image for Cecily Wolfe.
Author 14 books492 followers
February 22, 2017
Wow. This is crazy intense and while difficult to read, impossible to put down.

Serenity's terrible life is only eased by her friendships, which mirror reality in how many abused and neglected children find and support each other, without the benefit of adults in their lives to care for them. While the fantasy aspect is compelling - and Serenity's dreams and ability to see emotions in color are fascinating - the relationship between these teens and the characterization is what makes this story stand out.

Adding book two of this series to my Goodreads TBR list for sure!
Profile Image for Sarah-Jane.
32 reviews
January 20, 2017
This was the first book I'd read in a while that dealt with abuse (the other being A Child Called It, which was completely different) so I knew I'd be going through a lot of emotions while reading. I thought the subject was handled well. It was beautifully written and led nicely onto the other books in the series. I definitely want to know more about these characters.
Profile Image for Erin Figueiredo.
2,311 reviews37 followers
March 2, 2019
Unbelievably Beautiful!

This was a truly gut wrenching, tragic and beautiful story. India R. Adams is a true master of storytelling. With this book she captured my heart and made me feel such pain, sorrow and love for all of the characters. Her words are poetry to my heart! I have never felt so connected to a book in my life.

I honestly cannot wait to keep reading this series to see how the main characters develop and change.

This book is bursting at the seems with the amount of love and sorrow that is written in it.

India is truly my favourite author of all time. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Profile Image for Adrienne Carrieri.
153 reviews6 followers
September 26, 2018
I must say that this book gave me a run of emotions that I didn't expect. I truly love the bond that Skylar and Serenity share. I love how although they have rough home lives, serenity especially, they find salvation in each other. Then to have parental guidance in their older friends is truly amazing. When Serenity and Dereck meet and share that pull to each other it gives me hope. Serenity has love and protection with Skylar, Josh, and Jolene but the love and connection she feels to Dereck is breathtaking. I fell in love with Serenity and all the light in her life. This damn series has brought me to my knees in emotions. Bravo to the amazing author!
Profile Image for Helen M.A.
197 reviews19 followers
October 28, 2018
THIS BOOK!!!!!!
Oh man, what an emotional ride it took me on. I think I felt EVERYTHING reading this. I laughed so hard, I was so angry at one point I couldn’t even talk right. I cried like a baby, I loved immensely.
India R Adams is such an amazing writer. Everything she spoke about felt so real. I felt like I could relate to a lot of the character there.

I can’t wait to jump into the next book Destiny. That small cliffy/not cliffy has me begging for more of The Wise One, Protectors, The Shorties... ALL OF IT!

I wish I could give this book more than 5 Stars.
Profile Image for Rosie Amber.
Author 0 books114 followers
July 26, 2017
Serenity is book #1 of the Forever YA fantasy series. This is at the top end of the YA genre as it deals with some very mature issues and might be less suitable for some younger readers.

Serenity was five years old when she became aware she could see auras around people, but we don't meet her until she's sixteen. Home events, which we learn about later, have created a timid teenager who clings to her relationship with best friend Skyler. Inseparable girlfriends, the pair are linked by their neglected childhoods, shaped by traumatic experiences; they are surviving—just. Discovering a hidden journal, the words inside connect to Serenity’s own life and link with her spirit which roams as she sleeps. Here she finds friendship and safety in the form of a cloaked figure.

The girls are befriended by Josh and Jolene, older teenagers they’ve named as “The Wise Ones”. This pair look-out for the girls with Josh being particularly “parental” in his care for the pair he calls “His Shorties”. We’re not told, upfront, how this relationship began or why, so at times his possessiveness was almost creepy. I think it wasn’t helped by my own mental image of Serenity and Skyler being about nine or ten because of their associated nickname. However, I learnt to overcome my own personal stumbling block.

With Josh and Jolene in their last year of high-school and a move away to college imminent, Josh is concerned for the safety of Serenity and Skyler. He introduces them to friends in their own school year, these are members of his 'crew', a strong group of loyal teenagers who see Josh as their leader. Even though they don’t attend the same school, their purpose will be to look after the girls when Josh can’t be around. Dereck and Serenity feel they’ve known each other before; touching causes flashback memories, for Serenity, of past lives they have shared. The author’s skill lies in making this deeper than an insta-love scenario. Dereck’s compelling need to protect Serenity offers her a door to step away from shocking domestic scenes she finds hard to admit are happening.

Rocco gives Skyler hope that her own home and school life can be left behind. But a brutal event in Skyler’s life has her spiralling downward into a dark place, hiding from her friends, turning Serenity away as she struggles to take the blame for someone else’s wrong.

The story takes the reader deep into several themes: relationships, reincarnation, astral travel, alcoholism and domestic abuse. Serenity is where she is in this life time, its purpose becoming clearer as the story unfolds, as is the reason she is with the group of people in her life today.

One of the strengths of this author is her ability to draw the reader in, so that you are right there riding the emotional roller-coaster, rocketed by the revelations, tearful with the tenderness and outraged by the abuse. This book can be read as a love story, but it is much more and as the first in a series, I’m sure we’ll be hearing more from the characters from within. I’ve now read several books by the author and enjoy her style; however, if you are new to her writing, I would suggest starting perhaps with her novella series and the first book, Blue Waters; this would enable you to get the most from later reading this, which is actually her first book.
August 21, 2016
This was a very different read for me. I went into it blind, which I prefer with most of my books. I knew it had some paranormal elements to it, so I was prepared for that. The beginning was very exciting to me, so much so that I immediately messaged a member of my review team about how the premise of the story had my mind going crazy. Our main character, Serenity, has visions from what appear to be past lives. Aside from her gifts that she keeps secret from others, this is the only time we really hear much about this, which was surprising because the visions were in great detail. I was really hoping there would be more to it... in a 509-page book. That being said, I'm hoping it is something that will be visited later in the series. So I'm not unhappy about it, just anxious to know more.
I really got hooked into the story about Serenity and her unusual bond to her lifelong friend and neighbor, Sky. They are relentlessly bullied in school and have horrible home lives, more so for Serenity, because hers is ongoing and violent.
There is a special parental relationship with older friends, Jolene and Josh, who make sure the girls have what they need both physically, academically and emotionally. They are like the touchstone for Sky and Serenity, their safe haven. When Josh and Jolene prepare for the coming year when they will be leaving for college, they introduce the girls to their other friends, The Crew, so that they can take over keeping an eye on them. There is an immediate, electrifying connection between Dereck and Serenity that throws Serenity into those visions of the past. There is also an attraction between Sky and Rocco. From there the story is quite gripping and emotional as the group endures social drama, bullying, violence, and harassment.
I did feel like the book was a slow paced read. As others have agreed, the book did drag on a bit with situation after situation making certain points to us that were already made. With so much of that going on, I kept asking myself, "When are we going to learn how exactly are these people connected on this spiritual level? What are they? What is Serenity? Why do they have his allegiance to her? How does Faith (Dereck's mom) already know sho she is?" That part of the storyline, how the group is connected in this weird way, to me is vague and unanswered and was my personal focus as a reader....What are they!? I needed to know... and this was what made the story so gripping to me LOL
I did love this book don't get me wrong. The issues of physical and emotional abuse and harassment were very real and raw. It was an incredibly emotional read. When tragedy strikes toward the end of the book, I was shocked and disbelieving. The author does not mince words. I felt like I was there!
I can't wait to read the next book and find out what more is in store for this tight-knit group and their unique relationships!
*Reviewed for Sweet Spot Sisterhood*
Profile Image for Cat Imb || The Reading Cat ||.
416 reviews35 followers
September 28, 2018
Because I realized I hadn't posted my review here a year ago *facepalm*

First thing, those journal entries are so great! They are poetic and abstract, and I love them. And absolutely adored their presence throughout the novel.

The first words that come to mind after reading this book are: elegant, beautiful restraint, and balance. Yes this book put me through heartache followed by extreme joy, but the overwhelmingly constant feeling was a sense of calm; Serenity.

At first, I didn't know what to expect, and I wasn't too sure I would like this whole "aura seeing" plot line, thinking it would fall into the cookie cutter YA story line trap. Quickly I realized how terribly wrong I was; I should've known India would add her magical goddess touch to it and make it memorable, like every other one of her novels I have read.

(I just realized I wrote the word "first" for my three beginning transitional phrases - oh well haha, I just wanted to say everything first)

I really took my time reading this book so that I could really absorb every little bit of magic India has planted in this novel. The hardship and suffering was shocking yet the writing was enchanting. It ticked all the boxes - even some I didn't know could be ticked.

And last, but not least, even though this book, at its core, is quite dark and serious, and made me want to cry on multiple occasions, it made me laugh many times over! India and I have the same sick sense of humour and I love it! (For those of you who follow me on twitter, you know which passages I'm talking about) At the end of the novel, it is stated: "Her novels are perfectly balanced between laughter and tears, letting readers see how to empower their own perfect imperfections", and I couldn't agree more.

So thank you, thank you, thank you India for this memorable book!
Profile Image for Megan Mary.
906 reviews7 followers
September 24, 2018
This was my first read from this author and man I've been missing out! Serenity was such a heartbreaking, emotional and unique read. The range of emotions whew this story will take your breath away... I'm finding it hard to describe everything that is this book..the tough topics that were discussed, the beautiful bonds of friendship and family, finding someone to love all of you even the broken pieces...So I will simply say this..I loved this book; I'm kind of haunted by it at the moment (the book hangover is real) and I recommend it to any and everyone!
Profile Image for Karin.
2,053 reviews
December 8, 2016
This is my second book by India Adams and, just like the first one I read (Steal Me) the writing is AMAZING!!! India truly has such a gift of writing that makes you feel like you are living among the characters of her books. It's very polarizing in a way.

Serenity is not a easy book to read cause it will bring many many emotions out of you and, it touches among several trigger points that unfortunately to many people have to deal with it.

Serenity is a very gifted individual, I won't elaborate on that part of the story cause you really should find out yourself to get the full impact of how amazing the writing is. As unstable as Serenitys home life is she keeps it under wraps as much as she can and, does have a tight circle of people who truly love her and want the best for her like her best friend, Sky, who unfortunately suffers the same way Serenity does. They have a strong bond cause of what they have to deal with, but aren't jaded about the world.

Outside of the abuse you feel like you are dealing with along with S & S you also feel the romance cause of Rocco and Dereck. This book was like a carnival ride there's incredible highs, but your still worried about what happens when you hit the bottom to quickly.

I was gifted a copy of this book by India for a honest review and India you rock!!!! And I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to read a magical book!!!!!
Profile Image for Annette Brignac.
202 reviews51 followers
September 4, 2018
Purple flame

Good Lord this book.... Holy mackerel. As my first read from this author, I am going to attempt to put into words how amazing this story is... But I don't think I'll be able to do it justice. However, I'm going to try!

This story will take you through every emotion possible. You will laugh, you will cry, you will smile, you will want to throw things. There's also the strong possibility that your chest will hurt. But IT. IS. SO. WORTH. IT.

The writing is superb. A world has been created that's would love to visit one day. People have been created that I want to meet and VERY much want to be friends with. Watching all of the characters grow and change was very entertaining.

There were subjects that were brought up and handled very beautifully and respectfully. It gave the story a realness and I found it so brave of the author to take on these topics.

I absolutely recommend this amazing book!!!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 81 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.