Start by marking “Make Your Own Neural Network” as Want to Read:
Make Your Own Neural Network

Make Your Own Neural Network

A step-by-step gentle journey through the mathematics of neural networks, and making your own using the Python computer language.

Neural networks are a key element of deep learning and artificial intelligence, which today is capable of some truly impressive feats. Yet too few really understand how neural networks actually work.

This guide will take you on a fun and unhur
Published April 16th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Make Your Own Neural Network, please sign up.
Jake Snyder Part 1 of this book does a really good job of breaking down the theoretical Mathematics of neural networks. You will end up with abstract formulas for…morePart 1 of this book does a really good job of breaking down the theoretical Mathematics of neural networks. You will end up with abstract formulas for each of the calculations that you can translate over to R.

That being said, almost all of the Math used for this implementation revolves around heavy use of matrices and Linear Algebra. Python is extremely well suited for this job. This makes for code that is so simple it seems unfair.

I've never used R, so I can't speak to the difficulty of an R implementation from a coding standpoint, but this book will certainly help with the concepts and Mathematical principles of Neural Networks. (less)

Start your review of Make Your Own Neural Network
Noura Hussein
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great introduction to explain main fundamental concepts of neural networks, the graphs are pretty and explain the ideas in good way. highly recommend to those who wanna understand Neural network and the math idea behind it.
William Anderson
This was a very gentle/step by step walkthrough of building a neural net using python for recognizing handwritten numbers. While I recommend following along in code for this type of book (one third is code based) even if you are a commute reader, you will get a lot out of this.

After reading this (carefully) you will most likely be able to converse and talk about neural nets from an implementation point of view with other engineers.

The tone is approachable, and despite the subject, the book is a
Kiran Gangadharan
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice and short introduction to the fundamentals of Neural Networks. The writing is clear and the content is easy to grasp for a beginner. There were a few issues with typos and formatting, but overall , I had a good time with this short book.
轩辕御龙
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: machine-learning
It's a great book to get an overview of the concept of neural networks, and there're lots of vivid graphs to help you understand various ideas from bio, computer, and maths. It's newcomer-friendly and I recommend all fresh learners who wanna know why and figure out some simple mathematical principle behind the surface of AI. Although they are a little simple but are the bedrocks.

I'm a newcomer too. Thanks to the sharing from author Tariq.
Tony Poerio
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great little book. Details how to build a working neural network in simple Python, building up intuition from scratch. If you've studied Neural Nets, this won't be new--but if you've never seen the material before, this might be the best place to start. Very good treatment of the subject.
John Pollard
May 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for understanding how neural networks work at a practical level using python. Tariq Rashid explains the steps in a detailed and interesting way with a reassuring hand-holding style to take you with him. Having said that I did get lost a bit in some of the maths, but I was able to keep going anyway and still get great benefit. The bits I loved were his experimenting with tweaks to the neural network parameters to show very clearly how they impact outcomes, with graphs. The re ...more
Evan Bonsignori
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Refreshing to read a difficult concept explained in such an easy to understand way.

Not once did I have to Google a concept since everything you need to know is provided.

Sure, there were some typos and other problems with this book. For instance, he put the calculus for gradient descent in the appendix while dedicating a section to matrix multiplication (which is more appropriate for the appendix since readers are more likely to know matrices than integral calculus).

Still, this book deserves f
Abdulaziz Hasan
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
Wana know the basic theory and background of neural networks and deep learning with absolutely no background in CS? well look no further than this book. Tariq really outdone himself on presenting a complex subject in simple math and English even high school students can read and understand. He went straight for what neural networks are and what domain they dominate. But if you have any CS or programming background you will skim this book within hours and get all the basics straight. Well for me ...more
Oleksandr Bilyk
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book on the planet for absolute beginners. I have implemented F# Neural Network for MNIST database https://github.com/oleksandr-bilyk/Ma...
When training process uses epochs and other tips then recognition score is above 97%. Source code uses Math.NET matrix calculus.
All neural network ideas are from "Make Your Own Neural Network" book with Python source code https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
I have decorate implemented it using lovely functional F# and other .NET Framework stuff.
F
David Paton
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great intro into neural networks

The author laid out his plan to teach the basics in a hands on approach. The progression through the material was smooth and easy too make progress. A motivated, advanced middle school student could work thru the concepts and code with perhaps a little help if he/she gets stuck.
Excellent material for a science fair project.
Extending the code to save the machine "learning" so that it can be read in instead of relearned would be useful. Also automating the image i
Don Norris
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent Introduction to Artificial Neural Networks

Highly recommend this book. The author makes the ANN concepts very clear and easy to follow. Readers should try to duplicate the book examples to get the maximum benefit from this book. I duplicated the MNIST demonstrations using a Raspberry PiI 3 and can positively state they all work as shown. My results were identical to those discussed by the author.

Again, highly recommended.
James Igoe
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book itself can be painful to work through, as it is written for a novice, not just in algorithms and data analysis, but also in programming. For the neural network aspect, it jumped between overly simplistic and complicated, while providing neither in enough detail. That said, by the end I found it a worthwhile dive into neural networks, since once it got to the programming structure, it all made sense, but only because I stuck with it.
Arjun Nayak
This is a good book with beautiful diagrams . But , it is a watered-down approach. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who wants to get started with machine learning. If you want to do ML , you SHOULD know the math.And this book kinda runs away from it.

But,let's say you wanna do something fun for a week like building an image classifier . Then , go for it . It simplifies the math and at the end you'll feel proud.
Alvaro Aguirre
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good introduction to Neural Networks. The Python section is nice, although someone that had never seen python before might struggle a bit. Concepts were well explained for non-tech backgrounds and it was a fast read. Leaves you with a decent understanding of the basics of a neural network. Would recommend it.
Vishwa Deepak
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Deep dive into neural networks with so much ease

I have read very few (or none) books which explains the mathematics of neural networks keeping novices like me in mind. Author has meticulously broken down all the complexities into simple mathematical equations. I recommend this book to all the people who want to go beyond the black-box nature of deep learning.
Martin Krauskopf
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ml-ai, cs
Elegant introduction into neural networks where we end up with simple NN recognising hand-written numbers. And vice versa, in the last section we will see how trained NN "writes" numbers.

Also quite concise if we subtract code samples, formulas, drawings and two appendixes (calculus and Raspberry Pi) from the 222 short Kindle pages. Really worth it as a starting point into NN.
rebecca
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
completely forgot to update this many months ago, but this book was great!! the theory section in particular was very informative & clear. the python section was good, particularly considering this isn't a book about python, and gave me a decent groundwork for using numpy which has since been quite useful for me on my physics course. would definitely recommend for super super beginners like me. ...more
Anita
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the fastest I've ever read a book! In just two days I finished the whole book and actually understood the concept. The author is a genius! He takes a "complicated topic" such as a neural network, and describe it like it is a piece of cake. You would understand everything right away. For everyone that is just starting to learn machine learning, I totally recommend it!
Luk
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At times it is a bit too easy (especially if you either have a programming or mathematics background), but it's fairly easy to skip ahead to the important parts.
It does a good job of explaining how a neural network works in layman's terms and how to implement it. I certainly have a better understanding of the inner workings of a neural network after reading the book.
Alex Rosenstein
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent overview and intro to python and neural networks

This book was just what I needed. I have formal education in computer science and mechanical engineering, I needed to learn python and neural networks. This book did exactly that. It was well thought out, clear and well paced. This author should write more texts
Jason Wheeler
I don't know how to program, however the theory behind neural networks fascinates me. Creating algorithms which mimmic certain processes of the mind is a powerful idea, one which is playing a significant role in increasing the reach of the human species.
Nor Oh
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful super easy to follow way to understand how Neural Nets work

A very light way to introduce yourself to the fundamental practical understanding of why Neural Nets work without jargons. A big bonus is the layman overview of what Calculus is for non-technical people.
Alan Wang
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Greate book in a weird format

This book is a great starting point to study neural network, but the format of this book limited the way people can enjoy this book (no kindle e-reader for you)
Kristof Mihaly
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazingly clear and good kickoff for someome who just gets started with neural networks

This book is a great example of careful and thoughtful technical writing. Thanks for the author for putting this much thought in creating a comprehensive guide on this subject.
Brandon
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beginners Guide to Neural Networks

I have some hands on experience with neural networks but don’t understand them as well as I would like. This book definitely helped to improve my understanding.
Michel dos Santos Mesquita
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very practical way to learn about neural networks

This is a wonderful book! I especially like the idea of using a Raspberry pi. This is a gentle and practical introduction to neural networks. The example of image recognition is fun and engaging.
Eugene Chang
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very brief but concise book for machine learning

I just browse it with my kindle unlimited membership found it not compatible with kindle paper white. I read it with my iPad. The book clearly states the fundamental of AI.
Wiezman Kimchi
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very structured

The book is very structured and brings you into the world of neural networks including some supplements in calculus. The bonus is creating a code for hand written numbers recognition. Very helpful for beginners.
Dieter Van Den Broeke
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
fantastic book

the concept of neural networks explained in the simplest way possible. verry satisfied having read this book it's just fantastic! best book ever as an introduction to neural networks.
Chu Kuang-Yu
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I like it.

The book is very easily to read for me, a Chinese programmer. It helps us quickly understand neural network and open a door for machine learning. I like to read it.

• Make Your Own Neural Network: An In-depth Visual Introduction For Beginners
  • Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn and TensorFlow
  • The Anti-Christ
  • Python for Data Analysis
  • The Hundred-Page Machine Learning Book
  • Hidden In Plain Sight: The simple link between relativity and quantum mechanics
  • Kindle Paperwhite User’s Guide, 8th Edition
  • First Encounter
  • Math on Kindle: How to Make Equations and Figures Look Good on Any Kindle Device or App
  • Core Python Programming
  • Machine Learning For Absolute Beginners: A Plain English Introduction
  • Deep Learning
  • Big Data: A Revolution That Will Transform How We Live, Work, and Think
  • Machinery's Handbook
  • Computer Science Distilled: Learn the Art of Solving Computational Problems
  • Python Crash Course: A Hands-On, Project-Based Introduction to Programming
  • A Handbook for New Stoics: How to Thrive in a World Out of Your Control—52 Week-by-Week Lessons

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »