Start by marking “Make Your Own Neural Network” as Want to Read:
Make Your Own Neural Network

Make Your Own Neural Network

4.4  ·  Rating details ·  273 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
A gentle journey through the mathematics of neural networks, and making your own using the Python computer language.

Neural networks are a key element of deep learning and artificial intelligence, which today is capable of some truly impressive feats. Yet too few really understand how neural networks actually work.

This guide will take you on a fun and unhurried journey, s
Published March 29th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Make Your Own Neural Network, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Make Your Own Neural Network

Noura Hussein
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great introduction to explain main fundamental concepts of neural networks, the graphs are pretty and explain the ideas in good way. highly recommend to those who wanna understand Neural network and the math idea behind it.
Kiran Gangadharan
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
A nice and short introduction to the fundamentals of Neural Networks. The writing is clear and the content is easy to grasp for a beginner. There were a few issues with typos and formatting, but overall , I had a good time with this short book.
Minh Nhật
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
lần đầu tiên review 1 sách liên quan tới công nghệ/lập trình dù hơn 1 năm qua đọc cả núi sách về mảng này :v

nói chung là step-by-step thì cũng khá dể hiểu cái cốt lõi của một neural network từ dạng cơ bản nhất của nó gọi là perceptron(tin mình đi là nó đơn giản lắm, dùng toàn toán cộng và nhân thôi) rồi đi lên phức tạp là một mạng các neural, tới đâu thì vẫn còn đơn giản là, áp dụng thêm tí tính toán bằng ma trận mà bạn sẽ thấy thật sự thú vị là ma trận sẽ giúp quản lý cái đống neural kia để nó
William Anderson
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a very gentle/step by step walkthrough of building a neural net using python for recognizing handwritten numbers. While I recommend following along in code for this type of book (one third is code based) even if you are a commute reader, you will get a lot out of this.

After reading this (carefully) you will most likely be able to converse and talk about neural nets from an implementation point of view with other engineers.

The tone is approachable, and despite the subject, the book is a
Tony Poerio
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a great little book. Details how to build a working neural network in simple Python, building up intuition from scratch. If you've studied Neural Nets, this won't be new--but if you've never seen the material before, this might be the best place to start. Very good treatment of the subject.
Evan Bonsignori
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Refreshing to read a difficult concept explained in such an easy to understand way.

Not once did I have to Google a concept since everything you need to know is provided.

Sure, there were some typos and other problems with this book. For instance, he put the calculus for gradient descent in the appendix while dedicating a section to matrix multiplication (which is more appropriate for the appendix since readers are more likely to know matrices than integral calculus).

Still, this book deserves f
Abdulaziz Hasan
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech
Wana know the basic theory and background of neural networks and deep learning with absolutely no background in CS? well look no further than this book. Tariq really outdone himself on presenting a complex subject in simple math and English even high school students can read and understand. He went straight for what neural networks are and what domain they dominate. But if you have any CS or programming background you will skim this book within hours and get all the basics straight. Well for me ...more
Oleksandr Bilyk
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The best book on the planet for absolute beginners. I have implemented F# Neural Network for MNIST database https://github.com/oleksandr-bilyk/Ma...
When training process uses epochs and other tips then recognition score is above 97%. Source code uses Math.NET matrix calculus.
All neural network ideas are from "Make Your Own Neural Network" book with Python source code https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
I have decorate implemented it using lovely functional F# and other .NET Framework stuff.
F
David Paton
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great intro into neural networks

The author laid out his plan to teach the basics in a hands on approach. The progression through the material was smooth and easy too make progress. A motivated, advanced middle school student could work thru the concepts and code with perhaps a little help if he/she gets stuck.
Excellent material for a science fair project.
Extending the code to save the machine "learning" so that it can be read in instead of relearned would be useful. Also automating the image i
Don Norris
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Introduction to Artificial Neural Networks

Highly recommend this book. The author makes the ANN concepts very clear and easy to follow. Readers should try to duplicate the book examples to get the maximum benefit from this book. I duplicated the MNIST demonstrations using a Raspberry PiI 3 and can positively state they all work as shown. My results were identical to those discussed by the author.

Again, highly recommended.
James Igoe
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book itself can be painful to work through, as it is written for a novice, not just in algorithms and data analysis, but also in programming. For the neural network aspect, it jumped between overly simplistic and complicated, while providing neither in enough detail. That said, by the end I found it a worthwhile dive into neural networks, since once it got to the programming structure, it all made sense, but only because I stuck with it.
Alvaro Aguirre
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good introduction to Neural Networks. The Python section is nice, although someone that had never seen python before might struggle a bit. Concepts were well explained for non-tech backgrounds and it was a fast read. Leaves you with a decent understanding of the basics of a neural network. Would recommend it.
Jason Wheeler
I don't know how to program, however the theory behind neural networks fascinates me. Creating algorithms which mimmic certain processes of the mind is a powerful idea, one which is playing a significant role in increasing the reach of the human species.
Alan Wang
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Greate book in a weird format

This book is a great starting point to study neural network, but the format of this book limited the way people can enjoy this book (no kindle e-reader for you)
Eugene Zhang
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very brief but concise book for machine learning

I just browse it with my kindle unlimited membership found it not compatible with kindle paper white. I read it with my iPad. The book clearly states the fundamental of AI.
Brandon
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beginners Guide to Neural Networks

I have some hands on experience with neural networks but don’t understand them as well as I would like. This book definitely helped to improve my understanding.
Nor Oh
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful super easy to follow way to understand how Neural Nets work

A very light way to introduce yourself to the fundamental practical understanding of why Neural Nets work without jargons. A big bonus is the layman overview of what Calculus is for non-technical people.
Kristof Mihaly
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazingly clear and good kickoff for someome who just gets started with neural networks

This book is a great example of careful and thoughtful technical writing. Thanks for the author for putting this much thought in creating a comprehensive guide on this subject.
Michel dos Santos Mesquita
Very practical way to learn about neural networks

This is a wonderful book! I especially like the idea of using a Raspberry pi. This is a gentle and practical introduction to neural networks. The example of image recognition is fun and engaging.
Abdul Qavi
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-ml-dsp
A very good and simple step-by-step development of Neural Network, covers basic theory behind it and also implementation. A quick read, recommended for people starting with Neural Networks.
Kory Kilpatrick
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great, accessible intro to neural nets
Xinhai
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Crystal clear.
Amaresh Patnaik
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice Explanation of Neural Networks

For someone who wants to learn from the beginning what a neural network is, and how it does what it does, this book is a very good read.
Fakhreddin
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
very good intuition, but not deep enough.
Duhart Vader
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice!

Really good introduction to neural networks! Calculations are easy to follow and the ideas are clearly shown. One doesn't need to be an expert mathematician to understand it.
Paweł
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming, math
Very gentle introduction to neural network.
Chu Kuang-Yu
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like it.

The book is very easily to read for me, a Chinese programmer. It helps us quickly understand neural network and open a door for machine learning. I like to read it.
Cristian Orellana
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book!
It really is a gently intro to neural networks, now I'm eager to keep learning!
Bryan
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I Like this book very much
Matthew B.
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! I have walked through a few machine learning tutorials, which I felt I didn't learn anything. I was just duplicating code and read things like "now you built your own neural network". After reading this book, I feel as if I really do understand how it works. Soon I will be revisiting all those machine learning tutorials with this new understanding, so I can master the subject!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »