Start by marking “A Dash of Trouble (Love Sugar Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Dash of Trouble (Love Sugar Magic, #1)

A Dash of Trouble

(Love Sugar Magic #1)

Leonora Logroño’s family owns the most beloved bakery in Rose Hill, Texas, spending their days conjuring delicious cookies and cakes for any occasion. And no occasion is more important than the annual Dia de los Muertos festival.

Leo hopes that this might be the year that she gets to help prepare for the big celebration—but, once again, she is told she’s too young. Sneaking
Published January 2nd 2018 by Walden Pond Press

To ask other readers questions about A Dash of Trouble, please sign up.
Amy-Jo Conant Perfect for grades 4 and 5. One of the characters has a small crush on a boy which results in some interesting magical spells. It's all very innocent.…morePerfect for grades 4 and 5. One of the characters has a small crush on a boy which results in some interesting magical spells. It's all very innocent. All in all a very clean book. My review mentions that it mentions seances to summon spirits for Dia de Muertos. It's all very benign though. They summon their Abuela to help with some magic gone wrong. (less)

Start your review of A Dash of Trouble (Love Sugar Magic, #1)
Fafa's Book Corner
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner!

Beware spoilers ahead!

Trigger warning: Death mentioned, mention of cancer, bullying, physical violence, and abuse of magic powers.

A Dash of Trouble was read for the theme January Jam Jar. For a book group called Devour Your TBR on GR.

Leo's family runs a bakery. As she is too young Leo isn't allowed to partake in the bakery activities. Leo soon realizes that there might in fact be another reason to it. With the help of her best friend Caroline, Leo discovers
Zoraida
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
LOVE LOVE LOVE. A smart, clever debut. Perfect for fans of Wizards of Waverly Place and The Book of Life.
Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)
Loved loved loved.

A family of brujas who channel their magic through baking, and the youngest member of the family learning how to deal with her newfound powers. So many hilarious moments, and a big focus on family and friendship.

Some of the funny moments reminded me of one of my favorite tv shows when I was growing up: Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

It comes out in 2018, and I can't wait to reread it when it does!
Donalyn
An adorable and exciting debut. I can’t wait to get this one into the hands of kids.
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
Such a delightful book! A Dash of Trouble is filled with magic, the sweetness of family and growing up, and filled with cute surprises. I adored this!

- Follows Leo, a young Mexican girl who discovers that her family are brujas! With her newfound powers, Leo tries her hand and magic at fixing things - only to create chaos that spirals out of control.
- This is just such a feel-good and sweet story. The story is filled with so many funny and earnest moments - and I absolutely adored Leo. She's tryi
Kaye
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
Wonderful, warm and utterly brimming over with magic! This is a middle grade that is best served with your favorite sweet treat and a mug of hot chocolate, on a day when you can really sink into your sofa cushions and savor it.
Enne (they/he)
5 stars

Can I just say that I absolutely have to start picking more middle grade up because this book is absolutely amazing and also the most adorable thing that I've read in a long time, so clearly, middle grade is getting something right that's totally missing in YA.

I thought everything about this book was absolutely perfect. There is not a single thing that I would change about it. I adored the family dynamics that were present in the story. I love any and all family dynamics in general but t
Janani
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this middle grade novel about Leo, a young Bruja who is navigating her newfound powers and family secrets. The dynamics of her large, loving, and hilarious family were an absolute delight to read, and I especially adored Leo's relationships with her sisters. I just want to hand this book to kids everywhere.
Jenna (Falling Letters)
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, cybils, 2019
Review originally published 28 July 2019 at Falling Letters.

The Love Sugar Magic books exemplify some of my favourite elements of middle grade fiction: the fun combination of magic and baking, strong family relationships (with well-defined personalities for all seven family members!), a protagonist who demonstrates empathy and care for her best friend, and the incorporation of the protagonist’s family heritage and culture (Mexican in this case).
That ‘one little spell’ mentioned in A Dash of Trou
Jessica Woodbury
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a winner for everyone. The kids have taken an interest in baking (we watch Great British Baking Show together) and this book about a family of baking brujas was a great way to scratch that itch. It wasn't uncommon for them to ask to bake something from the book after we read about it. And there are recipes in the back if you want to! The kids in particular want the flying-pig cookies from the cover.

This book has such a great sense of family and even though Leo is the youngest in her fam
Cindy
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Every now and then a book comes along that is just so purely delightful that you can't help but grin while you read it. Anna Meriano's debut novel, A DASH OF TROUBLE, is 100% one of those books. Leo and her large, loving, wonderful family are characters that I already miss, and who I can't wait to meet again in the next book in the series. At times funny (I laughed out loud a TON as I read), at times heartstring-tugging, and at times tender, the voice and the plot in this book perfectly capture ...more
Roxanne (The Novel Sanctuary)
Loved this so much! It was so sweet and I love the family, the magic, the culture, all of it! Definitely recommend.
Jinckee
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
4,5 stars!
Xueting
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
A cute and fun story about a family of brujas (witches)! The youngest daughter discovers the family secret and sneaks around trying to cast a few spells, with some unexpected but amusing results.
Jessica
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was the sweetest book to start off with! It also confirms that I really wish my family had a bakery so I could work in it.
Def a book I plan to pass along to my 10 year old cousin, I think she’ll really enjoy this.

**First book finished for Latinx Heritage Month
Mojan
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was all sweetness! :)
Paula Stokes
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was so lucky to read an early draft of this and THIS BOOK IS ADORABLE! It's funny and heartfelt and interesting and diverse and it taught me cool stuff without seeming like it was trying too hard.

I almost never read MG, but I cannot wait to add this book to my collection. All the congrats for Anna, who wrote a book that I wanted to hug, but could not, because I read it on the screen. Soon, little pretty. SOON YOU WILL BE MINE! :D

4.99 stars*

* Minus .01 star because this book is full of COOKIES
andrea caro
Love, love, LOVED this.

I first read this because brujeria has always interested me and as a big fan of Sarah Addison Allen's Waverly series, I loved the idea of magic + food.

But this series is about so much more than that.

It's about growing up and family and love. I am obsessed with this series. It's strange, whenever I love something this much, it's so hard to talk about it because I feel like it should be read and experienced for the first time without a lot of preamble.

But this book, this SER
Carolina
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
yes, i would indeed like to be the 6th child in the logroño family. pls and thank u.
Katie
Apr 12, 2020 added it
This was absolutely delightful and absolutely what I needed right now.

This story follows our main protagonist Leo, who is a 12-year-old mischievous and determined youngest child in a large family of brujas. Leo didn't know that her family could do magic and when she discovers that she has to try it herself and ends up causing so much trouble.

The setting of this wasn't a huge part of the book, but it was fine regardless. One other thing I loved about the setting though was all of the culture th
Arlene
This was a very cute book. A young girl of 11 finds out that her mother and sisters can do magic and that she too holds the power to do magic through cooking (think Like Water for Chocolate) but she is told that she must wait till she is 15 years old. But after her best friend has a very awkward encounter with a boy she likes, Leo, takes it upon herself to try and flex her newly acquired magical skills and tries to help her friend out but of course, hijinks happen. I thought this was very cute, ...more
Ashley Tidwell
I love a good middle grade and this one was a delight. Leo and her family are brujas who own a bakery and bake magic into sweets. She’s eleven and wants to do all that her sisters do, there’s a good bit of snooping and sneaking around and accidental spells. All of it was fun and sweet and I love that there are recipes in the back. It gave me Coco vibes with the family element and both are set with Mexican main characters. It’s adorable.
Morgan (The Bookish Beagle)
I loved absolutely every bit. Review to come.
Onka
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, english, own, mg
This was the cutest and sweetest (literally) book I've read in a long time! Now, the only thing I need is more cookies!
Julia (Shakespeare and Such)
Jun 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.6/5 stars, full review to come! This book was the sweetest (pun 100% intended)

Plot: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Pacing: 4/5
Writing: 4/5
Enjoyment: 5/5
Kevin
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya
Witches, sugar and magic baking what's not to love.
Gabriela Pop
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
One of the loveliest middle-grades out there!
Strong family bounds, countless sisters to either argue with or have your back (depending on the day and the mood), a cozy family bakery and the loveliest magic system I've read in ages; baking and magic were always meant to go hand in hand and this book if the ultimate proof of it.
I loved Leo and all those around her and I found her to be such an endearing character to follow. Her curiosity and drive know no bounds, albeit at the cost of mischief a
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
Why You Might Bump This Up On Your TBR:
The Mexican representation seemed well done to me (but I'm not Mexican). I liked how the author used Spanish words without translating them. I appreciated the hardcore girl power in terms of sisterhood and female friendship. The magic system and the characters/family dynamics were the best part for me, since they were layered and I wanted even more information about them. I also appreciated how the author was able to write healthy parents while still includ
Emily
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was very cute and very sweet, but ultimately the narrative voice was just too young for me. I don't mind middle grade that skews older, but I'm finding that middle grade that skews younger just doesn't work for me.

THAT SAID this is 1000000% a book that I would recommend to younger readers. I didn't love it, but it's not FOR me! I think younger readers would really enjoy this, and the content is generally delightful. The family dynamics, the emphasis on friendship, and oh my goodness the coo
Latinx Book Club: March 2020- A Dash Of Trouble 11 36 Mar 30, 2020 08:00PM
Sirens Conference: A Dash of Trouble 1 13 Jan 18, 2019 02:25PM

• Power Forward
  • Chester Nez and the Unbreakable Code: A Navajo Code Talker's Story
  • Hope in the Holler
  • Animals by the Numbers: A Book of Infographics
  • The Ambrose Deception
  • Stef Soto, Taco Queen
  • A Whole New Ballgame (Rip and Red, #1)
  • Finding Langston
  • Wedgie & Gizmo
  • Drum Roll, Please
  • Otis and Will Discover the Deep: The Record-Setting Dive of the Bathysphere
  • Spirit Hunters

Love Sugar Magic (3 books)
  • A Sprinkle of Spirits (Love Sugar Magic, #2)
  • A Mixture of Mischief (Love Sugar Magic, #3)