Start by marking “The Hero Is You: Sharpen Your Focus, Conquer Your Demons, and Become the Writer You Were Born to Be” as Want to Read:

Imagine having your own personal mentor--someone encouraging yet honest, supportive yet empowering, who could help you set and achieve your goals, turn your moments of doubt and fear into sources of strength, and discover what you're truly capable of when you're at your best.

Kendra Levin is that mentor. And with this book, she's here to help you do the best wri
Published November 1st 2016 by Conari Press

Start your review of The Hero Is You: Sharpen Your Focus, Conquer Your Demons, and Become the Writer You Were Born to Be
Murat S. Dural
Hep Kitap'ın takdir ettiğim "Atölye Serisi"nden çıkan, Kendra Levin'in "Sen de Kendi Hikayenin Kahramanısın" kitabını büyük beklentilerle almıştım. Fakat ne yazık ki hayal kırıklığına uğradığımı söylemeliyim. Bir türlü anlattıkları ve anlatım şekli ile uyuşamadım, önerdiği yöntemlerden hoşlanmadım. Öncelikle tüm anlatı yeni bir şey getirmiyor ve tamamen Joseph Campbell'in "Kahramanın Yolculuğu"na dayanıyor. "Kahramanın Yolculuğu"nun içindeki başlıkların altına bir takım hatırları -ve beni en çok ...more
Leila
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have long been the beneficiary of Kendra's wisdom and insight; her questions that cut right to the heart of the matter; and her boundless commitment to helping writers. I'm so glad she now has a book out so that more writers can learn from her. I wish I could give everyone a one-on-one coaching session with her, but reading THE HERO IS YOU is the next-best thing!

There are lots of books and classes out there that teach you how to get published, or how to improve your craft and becom
Tetyana Dubyna
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-writing
"Я никогда не падал в такую яму, из которой, написав что-нибудь, не мог бы выбраться". Крис Рок
Celil
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edebiyat tarihi çözümlemesi içinde, hiç ummadığınız bir anda, sevdiğiniz başka bir yazarın -eşi münasebetiyle de olsa- karşısınıza çıkabileceği bir kitaptır. (bkz. Brian K. Vaughan) Tekinsizdir, kördüğümdür, postula durumundadır. Okumayın derim... :)

Tatyana Naumova
Мой любимый совет - про то, что нужно обзавестись внутренним конем
Terresa
May 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017, writing
Not my cup of tea.

This book is, in many ways, a sad recycling of other writing books. Although she has some nice ideas and is a "life coach" (!!), so points there.

Instead, consider reading these books written by stronger writers with much more clarity:

Ray Bradbury, "Zen in the Art of Writing"
Anne Lamott, "Bird by Bird, some instructions on Writing"
Annie Dillard, "My Writing Life"
Natalie Goldberg, "Writing down the bones: Freeing the Writer Within"

Deborah
Writers have so many creative ways of sabotaging themselves...
Well, Kendra Levin has your number. And ways to battle the hydras, gorgons, and tricksters that are blocking your writing journey, keeping you from being the hero of your own story.
Linda
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In THE HERO IS YOU, Kendra Levin takes a construct we writers are familiar with -- the Hero's Journey -- and applies it to the writing and revising process. The book offers excellent advice and encouragement, punctuated with dozens of anecdotes about real-life writers and their often harrowing journeys. The exercises suggested throughout the book help take each piece from the conceptual to the practical. Highly recommend!
Lita Judge
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Few books offer such insight into the heroic challenges of writing. I feel fortunate to have this gentle and kind guide next to me as I approach each new project.
Michelle
Nov 11, 2018 rated it liked it
This book would probably be more well-appreciated by those who write non-fiction, because even though some points and exercises are more universal, business writing, in particular, doesn't always fit in with the author's suggestions. That said, there were some helpful nuggets.

I did appreciate reading the reinforcement of my belief that "... the Internet is no replacement for the world IRL [In Real Life]. Online activity doesn't feed all five senses, and even the most emotionally intense web int
Ali
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Having this book is like having my own personal mentor sitting atop my bookshelf—there to provide insight, clarity, motivation and encouragement whenever needed. I’ve read a lot of books about writing for writers and this one absolutely tops my list! It’s not only inspiring, it’s empowering because it provides actionable exercises at the end of each learning segment. Often times a book can be great in theory but the reader is left to figure out how to implement learnings on their own—not the cas ...more
Damndy
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Since this book came into my life, i've started to become like a hero of mine.
It's like; this book is Dr. Xavier's X-Men Mansion, and you feel safe there and you believe that you'r worth it. You know that you need to work hard, you know that you have to win the battles that you think you can't. And you start killing your demons that whispering that you ain't gonna make it. But YOU WILL actually. And obviously. It's all in that book. Every "God damn but HOW?!" question is answered quite cle
Rhonda
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
Lots of sensible advice from an author who understands what writing is all about, and has a range of experience working with many different authors. The hero's journey approach was a bit laboured for me in places (the steed? really?), but still good advice. I wonder whether the slightly obscure title will miss its target audience. The bottom line is if you want to be a writer you have to actually write, not hope, talk or think about it, and some self-awareness helps too.
Kimberly Sabatini
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft-of-writing
An excellent read--motivating and supportive with lots of tools to add to your tool box for becoming the writer you want to be. I really enjoyed how Levin provided lots of research and personal vignettes to allow her guidance to be relatable to the reader. This one is a little bit different than the craft books I've read and that makes it well worth the read.
Karen Stensgaard
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
She expounds on how every writer, writing on away on their next masterpiece, is on a hero/heroine journey which is based on myth guru Joseph Campbell's framework. Interesting take on it and useful ideas. Thanks!
Katie
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
The gimmick of seeing yourself, the writer, as a hero on the archetypal hero's journey wears a bit think sometimes, but this still has some good advice with specific, real-life examples. I'm definitely going to take note of some of the suggestions in here.
Amanda
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a really good writing companion. I like that Levin goes through the writing process with the lead of archetype characters. I will probably go back to this one for inspiration as I get bogged down in different areas of the writing process.
Elizabeth Van Tassel
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely recommend this for your writing journey. Wonderful insights and I will revisit this book again in future endeavors!
Evrigon
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A life-saving instruction in your writing journey. The greatest.
Rachel Slote-Brown
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Really helped me focus on what I want to do as a writer.
Lisa
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Review to come!!
Julie
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
This book is one I know I will be returning to, one that will mean different things to me at different times in my writing journey. Right now I'm in a place where I like all parts of writing, and am able to get the words out and revised pretty well. But I definitely suffer from major lacks of focus and constant distractions, and while I do get my writing done, I have a huge backlog of stories that need to be written or revised, and this book helped me see that it is in my power to get more writi ...more
David
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I would recommend THE HERO IS YOU as standard equipment to take along on your writing journey. The book can be used as a writers’ compass. It will not only give you direction, but will also get you around and through the many pitfalls that all writers encounter. The book is also packed with great writing exercises. I picked one of my favorites and we used it at my last writers’ critique meeting. We followed a formula for creating our opposites. Not only did it give us a better perception of ours ...more
Joel
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Got an advance copy, and I will admit to being a bit biased (those of you who know me will know why), but as someone who's spent a lot of time reading about craft and the hero's journey, I don't feel particularly conflicted in saying this is an excellent book. If you've ever called yourself a writer in any sense of the word and have a story to tell, this book is for you.
Katrina Ayala
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Will update review closer to the publication date
Susan Shapiro
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very helpful inspiring writing guide from a Penguin book editor who knows what she's talking about!
Jenn Hillman
Jul 04, 2018
Tracey
Nov 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »

• Second Sight: An Editor's Talks on Writing, Revising, and Publishing Books for Children and Young Adults
  • Writing Picture Books: A Hands-On Guide from Story Creation to Publication
  • We Are Not Alone: The Writer's Guide to Social Media
  • Never Flirt with Puppy Killers: And Other Better Book Titles
  • Writing Irresistible KidLit: The Ultimate Guide to Crafting Fiction for Young Adult and Middle Grade Readers
  • Thrice Told Tales: Three Mice Full of Writing Advice
  • Inside Story: The Power of the Transformational Arc
  • The Writer's Portable Mentor: A Guide to Art, Craft, and the Writing Life
  • Feminism: Reinventing the F-Word
  • Patience and Fortitude: Power, Real Estate, and the Fight to Save a Public Library
  • The Power of Point of View: Make Your Story Come to Life
  • Plot Perfect: How to Build Unforgettable Stories Scene by Scene
  • Tarot for Writers
  • Narrative Design: Working with Imagination, Craft, and Form
  • Naked Reading: Uncovering What Tweens Need to Become Lifelong Readers
  • Writing Deep Scenes: Plotting Your Story Through Action, Emotion, and Theme
  • remembered rapture: the writer at work
  • Reading Picture Books With Children: How to Shake Up Storytime and Get Kids Talking about What They See
Kendra Levin is a certified life coach for writers, as well as a children’s book editor, teacher, and author. Since 2008, she has helped writers and other creative artists all over the world meet their goals and connect more deeply with their work and themselves. She has been an editor at Penguin for over a decade. Kendra has taught classes for a range of populations from media professionals to pr ...more