Ali's Reviews > The Hero Is You: Sharpen Your Focus, Conquer Your Demons, and Become the Writer You Were Born to Be

The Hero Is You by Kendra Levin

U 50x66

Having this book is like having my own personal mentor sitting atop my bookshelf—there to provide insight, clarity, motivation and encouragement whenever needed. I’ve read a lot of books about writing for writers and this one absolutely tops my list! It’s not only inspiring, it’s empowering because it provides actionable exercises at the end of each learning segment. Often times a book can be great in theory but the reader is left to figure out how to implement learnings on their own—not the case with this book. There are specific examples, exercises, and practices that give the reader the ability to understand AND apply the information. Genius! The exercises are not only useful, they are revealing. Many “ah-ha” moments in this one!

Levin encourages the writer to explore being a Hero in her/his own writing journey – a topic that was so interesting to explore. As writers we are so focused on our characters’ journeys that we forget (or do we even realize?) about our OWN journey. Exploring a different – more personal – side of the hero’s journey helped me become a more aware, focused, passionate, dedicated and driven writer. I learned how to work with myself and how to strengthen, manage, and nurture the hero within for the betterment of my writing...and my life!

I walk away from this book with a great deal of gratitude for having read it. I highly recommend this book to all writers in all genres!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hero Is You.

September 1, 2016 – Started Reading