Start by marking “Up and Coming: Stories by the 2016 Campbell-Eligible Authors” as Want to Read:
Up and Coming: Stories by the 2016 Campbell-Eligible Authors

Up and Coming: Stories by the 2016 Campbell-Eligible Authors

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  22 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
This anthology includes 120 authors—who contributed 230 works totaling approximately 1.1 MILLION words of fiction. These pieces all originally appeared in 2014, 2015, or 2016 from writers who are new professionals to the SFF field, and they represent a breathtaking range of work from the next generation of speculative storytelling.

All of these authors are eligible for the
Published March 3rd 2016

Bridget Mckinney
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Currently reading through and reviewing this ten authors at a time over at SF Bluestocking.

Part 1: Charlotte Ashley, John Ayliff, Lucas Bale, Nicolette Barischoff, Sofie Bird, Derrick Boden, Stefan Bolz, David Bruns, Martin Cahill, Aaron Canton

Part 2: D.K. Cassidy, Zach Chapman, Curtis C. Chen, Z.Z. Claybourne, Liz Colter, Nik Constantine, Daniel J. Davis, S.B. Divya, Margaret Dunlap, S.K. Dunstall

Part 3: Jonathan Edelstein, Harlow C. Fallon, Rafaela F. Ferraz, Sam Fleming, Annalee Flower Horne,
Kalin
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
The anthology has been taken offline (with nearly 16,000 downloads ... making it the most popular book in which I have a hand :). If you still want to read it, drop me a note.

Cynical. Cold. Confused. Cringeworthy.

... This is not the future of my favorite genre.

I'm getting nauseous of postapocalyptica and paranoia and psychopathologies. This is not the future I'm going to live, to make, to take part in.

I'd like to thank S. L. Huang and Kurt Hunt for their tremendous effort in compiling this antho
Lisa Feld
Mar 21, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm not even sure how you rate something like this--unlike most collections, it's not based around a common subgenre like vampires or steampunk, an editor's personal taste, or even a quality bar like all the award winners of a particular year. It's simply all (or almost all) the authors who managed to break into the field in the last couple of years, and because of how online markets have shifted what eligibility means, there's a massive range of quality and style here. But several of these auth ...more
Mel
Mar 04, 2016 marked it as abandoned
I've had this for two years or what and didn't once have a look inside... It was free when I got it and, well, should there ever be a time when I don't have enough SFF (short) stories to read, I guess I will remember that I shelved this somewhere ;-)
Marie-Therese
When I began reading this book I did something I virtually never do: I gave myself permission to skim and even skip works almost entirely if I felt they offered little or nothing to me in terms of art and/or pleasure. I had to do this a bit more often than I would have liked (there are some seriously unimaginative and clumsy writers out there that somehow manage to get published) but, overall, the weeks I spent reading this massive anthology were well worth it.

I'm not going to call out the bad
Emy
Jun 23, 2016 marked it as to-continue
Comments in stages as this is a VERY long anthology (120 authors!). I think this will take me a long time to read all the way through, but it's a very good pick-up-and-put-down book to have. Works are arranged alphabetically by author, which is annoying to some, but perfectly logical and unproblematic to me as I can read one author and then do something else/go to sleep.

Review 1
I'm currently at the 12th story / 8th author.
Read so far:
Charlotte Ashley; John Ayliff; Lucas Bale; Nicolette Barischo
Rebecca
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Oh dear god this took forever and ever and ever to finish reading. There were some great short stories, ones that I keep thinking about, and some really really awful ones (which I also think about). Is it worth reading? If you really like short-stories and you already have a copy (because this was only available for a short time), probably. Don't put up with the mediocrity though, just go to the next story if you're not enjoying the story you're reading.
Gloria Webber
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lots of times with anthologies I like a few stories but skip most. Not this one. This was filled with so many good stories! I did skip a few, but there is a huge amount of content in here.

These seem like the kind of stories you'd get from people who grew up on CS Lewis or Tolkien, who played video games, pen and paper RPGs, and watched anime. I mean that in the best kind of way - there are D&D-isms, mashups of fantasy and scifi elements, steampunk, and references to classic scifi and fantas
Ron
Mar 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
Dryness, death, despair, dystopia, defeat, ‘droids, despair.

I soldiered through over half of this dog’s breakfast of short stories, hoping it would get better. It got worse. These folks may be eligible for recognition, but most don’t deserve it. They don’t deserve to be published. (My apologies to those whose surnames fall in the latter part of the alphabet; I gave up.) I can’t believe there was any selection process involved. This is not a scatter gun collection; it’s a hand grenade.

There are
Ronald Stickney
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the majority of the stories in this anthology. A few of them just didn't entertain, but that is to be expected. Too bad it came in electronic form; I much prefer reading a physical copy.
John
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Extremely uneven. There were a few great stories and a few more truly awful ones. Most where just in the middle. It was barely worth getting through this for the good ones which is a shame since the best stories in it were very good.
Sam
Dec 04, 2016 added it
Shelves: 2016
I'm pretty sure reading this was a significant contribution to why my total book count for 2016 is distinctly lower than previous years.
Cass Morrison
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a great holiday book. such a wide range of short stories and a smattering of poetry. I had read many of the novels featured but it was nice to revisit them.
Logan
Mar 10, 2016
Gordon Love
Jun 25, 2016
Colin
rated it did not like it
Mar 13, 2017