Start by marking “The Chosen (Night World, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Chosen (Night World, #5)

The Chosen

(Night World #5)

Vampire Slayer She stalks the lonely back alleys of Boston, the deserted industrial docks of the harbor, seeking revenge on the vampires who killed her mother. Rashel Jordon knows where they live. But they don't yet know that the black-haired, green-eyed girl is as deadly as she is beautiful, killing the Night People one by one. Armed with a wooden stake, martial arts, and ...more
Published February 1st 1997 by Archway Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Chosen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chosen

jenice
what a throwback

i read the night world books when i was really young and i remembered being completely obsessed with this one in particular. i was feeling a bit nostalgic so i picked this up. it wasn’t great, but i had fun with it
Kushnuma
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
24 May 2019

The Chosen is book 5 in the Night World series.

This book is one of my most favourite books of all time. I absolutely love the relationship between Rashel and Quinn.
Elizabeth
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Argie Maniati
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Re-read
Because I was in the mood!!
Petra
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Re-read
Aileen
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
First off, the character. I felt that most of the character were very real and believable. There was quite a bit of character development, especially compared to L.J.Smith's other Night World books and considering its size. I loved how Rashel actually tried to do something about her bad situation. I also loved Daphne. She was a real breath of fresh air in this series of hunters and fighters. She's not a fighter. She's not a hunter. She's just a regular teenage girl. And the relationship that blo ...more
Leeanna
Dec 03, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own
Night World #5: The Chosen, by L. J. Smith

When she's 5 years old, Rashel sees her mother and her friend killed by a vampire. The vampire tries to get her as well, but even at 5 she's strong enough to resist his mind control. Fast forward twelve years and Rashel is a vampire hunter, existing on the fringes of the Day and the Night worlds, keeping humans safe.

Rashel is a very strong character, comfortable in her body and determined because of her past. She's a great fighter and has a sense of hon
Claire (bookscoffeeandrepeat)
REREAD as of July 2019
I realize that I have to deduct a star for this one. It wasn't as amazing as I thought when I first read this short book. To start, while this book had the "enemies to romance" trope, the characters didn't even spend a lot of time together. I think that you'll need good character development when it comes to writing an effective story including the enemies to romance trope, which was unfortunately lacking in this story.

Additionally, the story was super slow and it felt like
Daniellesof2014
Feb 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Rashel is a vampire hunter. She started training ever since her mother and brother died when she was 5, and so she had been killing vampires at the age of 12 and getting a reputation making her be known as the cat, because she would leave a mark on the vampire she killed that looked like a cat had scratched it. She was one of the most feared vampire hunters in the night world. Well since she is the most feared vampire hunter there was also the most feared vampire and his name was Quinn and he ki ...more
Claire Frances
Jul 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: vampires
I liked this book but I wouldn't say I was crazy about it. I liked the first few chapters best and I liked the outcome. But I was a tad annoyed by Nyala's character, but then I suppose every book has one character you don't quite gel with. On the other hand I really liked the character of Daphne, I could relate to her and she was just nice. The kinda girl you could imagine being friends with. I have to say its not as good as Secret Vampire or Dark Angel. But its OK. A quick read. I was sometimes ...more
Summer
Mar 18, 2010 rated it did not like it
One star may be considered a bit harsh... but it's really because the book had so much PROMISE. I absorbed the first half of this book, excited for how it was going to unfold, how it was going to be less predictable than the other books in the series. I felt... well, I suppose I felt that the book had a sense of maturity that the others lacked due to the YA audience focus.

*Sigh* But the ending just had me so terribly disappointed by shattering my expectations that I just couldn't give it two sta
♥Xeni♥
Oct 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love Rashel! She is strong and brave and courageous and does the right thing. Exactly the type of hero for me! On top of that, she finds her soulmate and finally accepts him (at the end, duh. Just like all the other books). Rashel makes this book come to life!
E.C. Newman
Jul 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Action packed and strong. One of the better of this series.
Ky
Feb 18, 2011 rated it liked it
This is the second time reading the book, but I needed a way to have it on my reading challenge, since the first time I read it was sometime last year.
Amy
Character Building
Roser
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
General review, spoiler-free:

The Night World is the world with every dark creature you can imagine. Every "fictional" creature you know came from somewhere: The Night World.

Now, something weird, even for the Night World, is happening. Soulmates are appearing again. Two beings so connected, they are just meant to be. Every story of this series meant to culminate with the end of the world as we know focuses on different characters and how all these end up meeting.

Amazing narrative. Interesting c
⋆☆☽ Kriss ☾☆⋆
Now, I will say that this book still was really rapid and short not as developed as I would have liked, but, it did have a much better narrative and plot. Raschel's backstory is explained, she has conversations with her love interest, she has goals to match, and ultimately she doesn't have a radical change, but rather allows herself to feel and accept more after finding an equal in a vampire.

The insta-love is still there, but at least this time you can at least accept that Raschel and Quinn migh
Daphne
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Okay, so I read this skipping a few books for the Night World series- the only one I read before this one was book 2- Daughters of Darkness, and this one has got more of that dangerous vampire feel that that one. The MC, Rashel, is interesting, strong, and likable while having a messed up past, some demons of her own, but also determination and honor despite being a vampire killer. The first two chapters actually kind of freaked me out just a tiny bit- the horror of her situation, especially as ...more
Fleur
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
After seeing her mum killed by a vampire, Rashel becomes a hunter and kills creatures of the Night World. Until she meets Quinn, a vampire caught up in a crime ring who she can't bring herself to kill.

The focus on Rashel's abilities is nice. There's a lot of action scenes where vampires aren't a match for her. It's complicated by the crime ring which is an unusual idea. It makes her lack of connections with other people feel clearer.

Could have done with more detail. Rashel's history is very vagu
Lil_socks
it was really cool to see the night world portrayed from a different side. Rashel is also such a strong
and brave female lead with too. I also liked getting to see the inner workings of these vampire hunters and what drives them. The plot was good too, though given the stakes( that pun was not instead of but I'm not changing the wording either ) and the time frame it made it seemed rushed.

This may be a small thing to a lot of people but one the thing that didn't like about the book was how the
Denise
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Is it me or are these just getting better?! This was cheesy, but less so than the other books. Like I always say, I just wish these could be longer..

*Minor Spoilers*

I'm hesitant to give this book a 5 stars because of the "shortness". I really love the soulmate theory, but sometimes I just feel like it's an excuse to not write more conversations and interactions between characters. I mean the two characters barely spoke casually, they always argued about death.. They really didn't know each other
Amanda
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely my favorite so far. I loved the main character. She's so badass. Her backstory was super dark, and I liked that this story went much darker than the others. It's also the first one to leave on a bigger cliff hanger, which I appreciated.

The fact that this book was about the humans who know about the Night World was also great. I liked getting to see a perspective that hasn't really been addressed before. I also really liked that these people weren't weak and cowering. They wer
Melissa
Full review for this series found here:
Night World, No. 1 (Vol #1-3):
Night World, No.4 (Vol #10):
Strange Fate
Saradine Nazaire
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Okay, so I really just finished this book in three hours. I was looking for something satisfying to read after I finished the Selection by Kiara Cass for the umpteenth time. This book popped up and I thought why not? Anywho, very easy to read. Cheesy and obvious. I wish there was more of it because the ending was wrapped up to fast. I feel like I just watched a movie that should've been a show with at least 20 episodes.
Sadie
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book, The Chosen by L.J. Smith, was something new for me. I’ve never read a book about vampires. The story keeps really good energy throughout the time you read it. The unexpected come a the perfect times. I really enjoyed this story and I look forward to reading more books from this author, also more books from this series. This book has a darkish vibe and anyone who enjoys stories about vampires and the night world would enjoy reading this book.
Queen Soleil
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
rating: 3.8stars

i don't know why this book is the least of my favorite, so far for this series. is it because i got numbed with the "soulmate" thing or i just didn't find any chemistry between rashel and quinn while i was reading it? i did like how the story turned out/ended and that's good enough for me.

i am off to the next book and will most likely finish the series in a few days.
Ilana
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
DFSHKJJHBJSDHVJHKDHBVHDJ this might be my favorite of the night world series so far. It was much more action packed than usual and I loved Rashel and Quinn (even if their relationship seemed somewhat underdeveloped).
Signe
Aug 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Cheesiest shit i've read in a while, but i had a lot of fun and really liked the main characters humor. Can't recommend if you're looking for something with a well build and thought-out romance plot though.
Brody
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Currently doing a kind-of reread of the Night World series, and I would like to say that Rashel Jordan is one of the most (if not most) dynamic characters in the series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Evil Thirst (The Last Vampire, #5)
  • Heart's Ease
  • Vampire
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Just One Taste (Recipe for Love #3)
  • Whisper of Memory (Whispering Woods, #2)
I have a new blog about my Vampire Diaries fanfic.

L.J. SMITH, Lisa Jane Smith, is the New York Times #1 Bestselling author of The Vampire Diaries, The Secret Circle, The Forbidden Game, Dark Visions, Wildworld and Night World series. She has written over two dozen books for children and young adults, and has enjoyed writing every one of them. She lives in th

Night World (10 books)
  • Secret Vampire (Night World, #1)
  • Daughters of Darkness (Night World, #2)
  • Spellbinder (Night World, #3)
  • Dark Angel (Night World, #4)
  • Soulmate (Night World, #6)
  • Huntress (Night World, #7)
  • Black Dawn (Night World, #8)
  • Witchlight (Night World, #9)
  • Strange Fate (Night World, #10)
“This Kitten Has Claws” 144 likes
“It took me a while to get myself untied. Every time I meet you , I seem to end up hog-tied and unconscious” 7 likes