Start by marking “After All These Years” as Want to Read:
After All These Years

After All These Years

The day after her lavish wedding anniversary bash, Rosie Meyers gets a big surprise: her nouveau riche husband, Richie, is leaving her for a sultry, sophisticated, size-six MBA. So, when he's found murdered in their exquisitely appointed kitchen, no one is surprised to find Rosie's prints all over the weapon.

The suburban English teacher is the prime suspect -- the police's
Published June 24th 2008 by Harper Perennial (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about After All These Years, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After All These Years

Margaret
After All These Years is one of my favorite Susan Isaacs books, a wonderfully witty and entertaining murder mystery. Rosie Meyers is in the middle of a messy divorce, which gets suddenly messier when she goes down to her kitchen for a midnight snack and finds her husband Richie dead on the floor with a knife in his chest. Unfortunately for Rosie, she's the prime suspect. Since she knows she didn't do it, she goes on the lam, investigating Richie's life and tracking down the real murderer.

Whodun
HeiLi
Sep 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller
It's a long time that I read this book, and I remember that I did not like it that much, but there's one sentence/quote from the book that stuck in my memory:

Said by one of the female characters: "I really wish God had created an interesting alternative to men."

Yeah, you bet....
Thelma Long
Apr 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was the book that made me decide I would read anything by Susan Isaacs. She is very funny
Priscilla
Nov 02, 2009 rated it liked it
this was cute and enjoyable. not exactly first class literature, but a fun plane ride kind of book. basically this woman finds her ex-husband murdered and then she is framed for the murder and has to go on the lam and find the killer herself. i'm not really spoiling anything; that's basically all on the book jacket. murder, mystery, rich people, and a little sex - what more can i ask for?
Mary
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Funny and smart
Debra
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Right after celebrating their twenty-fifth wedding anniversary, Richie Meyers declares his love for another woman and leaves his wife, Rosie. Rosie’s devastated, but she has good friends and neighbors in Cass, Stephanie, and Madelaine, plus a teaching job she enjoys, two fully grown sons, and a very large home in the ritzy Shorehaven Estates at Long Island. Several weeks later, Rosie wakes up in the middle of the night and stumbles across Richie’s body on her kitchen floor. In her shock, Rosie t ...more
Ann Herrick
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing mystery and witty, read it at a time when I really needed a laugh and this definitely provided that. :)
Bonnie Wilson
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a silly story full of preposterous characters and a plot so ridiculous that it requires about fifty pages of denouement to explain at the end. And it's still fun to read. The convolutions of the plot almost defeated me, but then I would come across a sentence like this: "her sweater ... was tied around her shoulders in that secret knot only people who have gone to prep school know." Yes! I knew it! A secret knot! A just-for-fun quick read.
Julie
Apr 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: funny, crime-mystery, 2010
I finished this book up this morning on my bus ride into work. It took me five days to finish this, which is a little long for me. That could be an indicator of how well I liked this book. This is a difficult review for me because I did like the story overall, just some parts were a little much.

The book was a fun read, just not a real page-turner. It wasn't calling to me to continue reading and forget about doing the laundry like some of the other books I have read in the past.

The story was writ
Aaron Marvel
May 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Only read this book b/c it's on my LOST list, and it wasn't that great. I thought there were several plot holes that you could drive a truck through and it just didn't strike me as all that believable of a story, even in a pre internet pre cell phone world. Not very suspenseful or interesting as far as murder mysteries go. Which is just as well considering its minimal LOST relevancy. This book was seen in The Swan station near Sawyer's bed while he is recovering from injuries. Most think it was ...more
Lisa Eagle
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laugh-out-loud

This mystery was so funny I really did laugh out loud during parts. The premise seems quite depressing, but the book isn't at all. The descriptions and the thoughts of the main character keep the tone light. I brought it to the beach and couldn't put it down.
Ronja (queer-is-the-universe)
OK so that was terrible. First of all i must say that i only listen to this audiobook because it was read by Christine Baranski, which is also the only reason why it has 2 stars. Her reading like always was really enjoyable however the book itself especially the storyline was nothing new and u could see the plot coming from miles. Also the main character was really annoying and it happened quite often that i found myself screaming why or just simple answers while listening to it.
So overall 2 st
Judy Evenson
Dec 18, 2017 rated it liked it
A witty search for who killed the husband when we know for sure the wife didn't do it. She's on the run from the cops trying to figure out who Mandy is while having amazingly good fortune avoiding getting caught. A former high school boyfriend and a former student, now turned to crime for a living provide a safe haven and good advice. Fast paced, easy read!
Becky Schulman
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rosie Myers is a housewife whose husband moves out the day after their big 25th wedding anniversary party and later turns up dead in their kitchen making her the prime murder suspect. This English teacher becomes a detective and eludes police as she looks for the real murderer.
Fast paced and entertaining.
Kate
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's not great literature. I could probably find faults with it if I cared to try. I correctly suspected the culprit long before the truth was revealed.
But the characters were colorful and the humor often saucily expressed-- and the pages just kept turning and it was a heck of a lot of fun.
Desi
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
To be honest, I didn't really expect to like this book. But despite of that, I found it very intriguing and caught myself wondering what will happen next. Before I knew it I had already dived deep into the story, up until the very end. A book that was definitely worth my time!
Linda L
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great mystery . Suspenseful. Fast paced.
Chick Marks
Aug 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
This was painful. I was 100+ pages in before I gave up. The writing was stilted, the plot unbelievable, and the characters were unreal and unable to relate to.
Stevi
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Great short little mystery! Christine Baranski is a great narrator!
Beth
Jul 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Listened in car on road trip. Christine Baranski did a great job with this fluffy mystery.
Marjorie
May 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
The snark was too much for me.
Oct 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting who-dun-it, one that doesn’t take itself too seriously & kept me guessing until the end!
Patty
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Easy reading mystery.
Cindy Spence
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I seen the movie and then read the book

The book is way better than the movie. It leads you on and you're thinking that several people are the murderer, but then when you least expect it, you find out it's not who you thought. Great book to read!
Aimee
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Whatever shortcomings there are in the plotting, and I confess I must not know enough about the lives of the very rich in NYC and Long Island to spot such shortcomings, they're more than made up for by the sparkling, hilarious dialogue and the vibrantly colorful characters. Even bland, boring Carter Tillotson is somehow made memorable. Susan Isaacs shines at character development and scene-setting; I could very easily picture all the places and things she described.
She's really no slouch at myst
Susan
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
I read After All These Years for my book club. We wanted to read something not so serious, we have been reading too much literary fiction and wanted to read something fun. This was a fun, quick read. Unfortunately, I was getting bored. Finally, after the last 3/4 of the book the pace picked up. I will say, I did not love it, but I did not hate it either.

The story was a about Richie, and Rosy. They are both middle aged in a comfortable life. When suddenly, Richie announces to Rosy, he wants a di
Mlg
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, beach-books
Rosie Myers is an English teacher who is pushing 50. Her husband built a new company that did quite well and Rosie is living in a mansion. Her husband found himself a much younger mistress and he and Rosie are in the final stages of divorce when he is found "en brochette" on her kitchen floor with a carving knife stuck in his chest. She has a group of friends who surround her. One a self-styled poet writes her a poem:
"Alone
In the kind-sized cosmos of
The Posturepedic
Why?"
Rosie is about to be
Margaret
Jul 29, 2011 added it
Shelves: 2011
The cover reviews say "relentlessly funny" (which sounds like the humor has to hunt you down) and "laugh until you cry" or something along that line - I thought the writing was a little witty in spots and I was sometimes mildy amused. The main character Rosie seemed rather sex-obsessed for a 47 year old woman who described herself as menopausal. She is not trying to figure out who murdered her husband of 20+ years to bring about justice because she loved him - she's doing the detecting so she wi ...more
Kandice
This was a lite, cozy type of mystery with a lot of humor. The story was entertaining. The characters were interesting. I would read another of her books. However, I would hope this was an earlier book of hers and that her writing has become tighter. My biggest complaint was with the end of the book. The solution to the mystery was given in a monologue by the main character and continued for several chapters. There wasn't any action at the end - just a long description of how the murder took pla ...more
Peggy
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Re-read. Again.

One of my top book favorites ever. A woman goes to the kitchen in the middle of the night for a snack and stumbles on the dead body of her soon-to-be-ex-husband with a knife in his chest. She panics and grabs the knife to try and save him. When the police arrive they find a dead man who's with his soon-to-be-ex's finger prints on the murder weapon. Since the divorce is not final she will now inherit everything. The police have no reason to look further for the killer so Rose has t
  • The Stone Leopard
  • Bad Twin
  • The Survivors of the Chancellor (Extraordinary Voyages, #13)
  • Caravan of Dreams
  • The Coalwood Way: A Memoir  (Coalwood, #2)
  • Lancelot
  • The Oath (Dismas Hardy, #8)
  • The Moon Pool
  • The Shape of Things to Come
  • The Laws of Manu
  • Dirty Work (Stone Barrington, #9)
  • An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge and Other Stories
  • Manservant and Maidservant
  • Laughter in the Dark
  • The Invention of Morel
  • Bonjour, Babar!: The Six Unabridged Classics by the Creator of Babar
  • The Third Policeman
  • Hotel
Susan Isaacs is a recipient of the Writers for Writers Award and the John Steinbeck Award. She serves as chairman of the board of Poets & Writers and is a past president of Mystery Writers of America. She is also a member of the National Book Critics Circle, The Creative Coalition, PEN, the American Society of Journalists and Authors, the International Association of Crime Writers, and the Ada ...more
“She has been excessively cheery. In a white Anglo-Saxon Protestant, that is always a sign of a fairly severe depression.” 1 likes