Start by marking “You Don't Want a Unicorn!” as Want to Read:
You Don't Want a Unicorn!

You Don't Want a Unicorn!

Be careful what pet you wish for in the newest picture book from fan-favorite author Ame Dyckman and rising-star illustrator Liz Climo.

When a little boy throws a coin in a well asking for a pet unicorn, he has no idea what kind of trouble he's in for. Unbeknownst to him, unicorns make the absolutely worst pets: they shed, they poke holes in your ceiling, and they make a bi
Published February 14th 2017 by Little, Brown (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about You Don't Want a Unicorn!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Don't Want a Unicorn!

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
YOU REALLY DON'T! Read this book before you make one of the biggest mistakes of your life!
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books

You Don’t Want a Unicorn! is a fun, colorful take on be careful what you wish for.

One “PLIP” of a coin in the wishing fountain can cause all sorts of mischief. Super fun adventures too, but mostly trouble. Everything from burping colors to bring-the-house-down unicorn parties! Colorful parties! The clean white backgrounds ensure that every pink, purple, and orange pops to vivid life on the page.

BUT trust me. Unicorns may not be exactly what you hoped and wished for in a house pet. Maybe an abomi
Pooja
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Poor unicorns!

So fun to think of them and yet they can cause you troubles of a lifetime. You certainly don't want that!

Before wishing for a unicorn to be your super best friend, go through this please!
Diana
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, picture-book
I love pretty much everything Liz Climo draws - it always makes me smile - so I was definitely excited to see a new picture book on the shelves. Ame Dyckman is also great so this should't disappoint. Similar to some other cutesy, cartoonist-based picture books, this one is adorable and funny. The unicorn poops cupcakes and gets it's horn stuck in the ceiling every time it tries to jump - Hilarious!
Christina
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I only review a select few children's books, although I read a ton for my job...but this one is terrific. I love funny books that parents will enjoy just as much as kids and this one fits the bill. The illustrations are great, and I think the kids will giggle over all the naughty things this unicorn and it's friends get up to. I have a new favorite Easy Reader.
Rachel Watkins
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
You may THINK you want to have a unicorn for a pet, but trust me, you don't. Did you know they poop pink cupcakes and shed massive amounts of glitter? This colorful picture book was a huge hit at story time and will delight any young reader.
Lauren
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I laughed so hard I snorted and then choked on my own spit.
MissBecka
Seriously?
All this did was make me want a Unicorn more!!!
Steve Holden
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm taking a weekend break from baseball book reviews - will continue throughout next week as I begin my unit. This is my challenge, and I get to make the rules!

Anyways, we visited our favorite store in town last night - Joseph-Beth Booksellers - with the task of picking out a book as a birthday gift. I love the children's section and enjoy perusing the new selections. Picture books are awesome right now!

This was our selection for the gift. It's for a wonderful young girl, after all, who is ver
Michele Knott
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I first read this book at NCTE. I have trouble concentrating on what I'm reading when I'm in public - too much going on around me, I guess. But this book, I laughed the whole way through and then found friends to share it with. I knew right then and there this was a special book, because kids are going to want to read this over and over and share it with friends. Just like me.
Casandria
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I knew it! Unicorns really ARE annoying!
Carrie Gelson
THE best! Couldn't stop laughing. Kids are going to go crazy for this book! Can't wait to share it as a read aloud.
Scottsdale Public Library
For everyone whose child has ever asked for a pet because it’s cute, we have the book for you! As we follow the humorous adventures of a small boy and the unicorn he wishes into existence, we are shown the downsides of pets, from scratched furniture (that sofa will never be the same) to house training accidents (cupcakes surrounded by flies) to the need for more than one pet in case the first gets lonely (unicorn party!). The illustrations by Climo are fun and colorful, while the story, with its ...more
Cassandra Gelvin
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Boys can like unicorns, too.

It's cute. There's a little boy who loves unicorns, so he makes a wish in a fountain and he gets a unicorn. It's awesome at first. The narrator is consistently warning the young boy that he shouldn't wish for a unicorn because they're just too much of a pain. Unicorns make a mess and scratch things with their horns. And since they live in groups, when they get lonely they call other unicorns, and then you get a whole bunch of unicorns having a unicorn party, which jus
Margie
Feb 19, 2017 added it
The thing about wishes and wishing is they can be a tricky enterprise. When we wish for something we tend to think of the outcome and not how it is achieved or what may happen if and when a wish comes true. It's hard to remember it's a rarity if something happens in isolation; good or bad, there are consequences.

Nevertheless if we see a falling star, the first star of the night, or witness a rainbow or when it's 11:11 on the clock, we pull a turkey bone, we find a penny, or when we blow out birt
Amy
Dec 15, 2017 added it
Shelves: j-picture-books
Two of my fave images from the book (the jumping, chewing, and burping remind me of my cats):

photo 20171214205205380-page-001_zpsbpxunkqg.jpg

photo 20171214205205380-page-002_zps2cofq6df.jpg

Chelsea
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is guaranteed to be hilarious for both children and adults alike! I feel that, at some point in every child's life, they wish that some type of magical animal would appear. Well, this book mentions just that AND everything that happens after. I would absolutely recommend this book to others looking for a lighthearted and laughter inducing read.

To read during Preschool Play.

Read during Toddler Time on December 4, 2017.
Becky B
An ill-informed child wishes for a unicorn against the narrator's advice and suffers many of the hidden pitfalls of having a unicorn as a pet.

Oh dear. This appears to be a very important warning announcement. Who knew? As a fun compare/contrast, read this with Uni the Unicorn or some of the Phoebe and Her Unicorn series. (Phoebe might agree on some of these points, disagree on others, and have whole list of never explored before things to consider before unicorn ownership.) This is a fun "other
Jenn
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this! The artwork, the humor, and the ending were great.
Veronica Manthei
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Comical. Pet ownership pitfalls. UNICORN PARTY.
Amanda Blau
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rainbow cupcake unicorn droppings - that's all you need to know to know if this one's for you or not.
J
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this to a group of elementary school-aged kids. It was a delight.
Bekka
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very fun! Kids will love this, and adults will enjoy the humor. This would stand up to repeated readings.
Kristen Thorp
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Unicorn party!!
Becki
You know, I picked this up for nieces birthday present but I think I have to keep it for myself. It was just too funny.

And what a great way to tell children be careful what you wish for.
Suzie Bookgirl
Okay so actually I really really do want a Unicorn, the party looks amazing! Fun and laughs. Love the poop too.
Goshen PL Childrens
Read for Storytime, April 18, 2017
Theme: Funny Stories

I did a slight disclaimer before reading in case some of our more conservative adults might be offended. The cupcake droppings made most of us laugh. It took the kids a moment but then the giggles started. We liked making the plip and poof sounds in the story too. It is a fun read.
Alisha
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
But I do want a unicorn

unicorn

Lisa
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a kid that will never learn his lesson. The unicorn was just being a unicorn, mind you not a very magical unicorn, but awesome. Will the author write a dragon or dinosaur book next?
Taylor Hart
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ed-204-books
You Don't Want a Unicorn! is a sweet little book about fantasy. The colors throughout the book, starting with the cover, are vivid and eye catching. The story is rather simple and understandable for a young audience. Although the book is fiction and about mythical creatures, there is a message to be found. The message being that even the grandest of things can have negative aspects to them. It's important for children to receive this message early on so as not to spend their lives chasing after ...more