Start by marking “Pulse” as Want to Read:

Pulse

Rowan Platts is addicted to success.

When she's presented with the chance to work on a top secret project fronted by her idol, renowned virologist Dr. Margot Miller, Rowan signs her life away without second thought. The realization she’s gotten in over her head comes only after the subject of their study is revealed: a boy with a bad attitude and an uninhibited taste for
Published January 1st 2018 by Danielle Koste

To ask other readers questions about Pulse, please sign up.
Danielle I used Eureka, California as bases for the setting, but most of the novel takes place within a fictional research center so the city is not vital to…moreI used Eureka, California as bases for the setting, but most of the novel takes place within a fictional research center so the city is not vital to the plot.(less)

Start your review of Pulse

Author: Danielle Koste
Genre: Paranormal, Contemporary
Publication Date: January 1, 2018

ARC

That was unexpected. I'll be honest, I went into this without much expectation, I just NEEDED to read a book that was from a different genre. I've been bombarding my brain with a little too much mafia related books lately... not complaining but still, we do need "fresh air" once in a while. hahaha!
Pulse was unexpectedly good. I honestly don't know which category to put this book under. It
Laura B.
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I’ve put a lot of effort into trying to convey what I appreciate about PULSE, but the most truthful way to put it, is this: Every single time I have read this book, I truly enjoyed it.

Confession: I have read it a lot of times.

I have read this book in a single night, I have read it twice in a row, and how I have never once gotten bored with it or simply not felt like reading it again, eludes me. Even when I thought I wouldn’t, when I started it and put it down because maybe I’m just not feeling
Meggan Turner
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
REVIEW CAN BE FOUND HERE: https://betweenthepages13.wordpress.c...
Melanie A.
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 STARS!
"Sometimes, it feels like the hunger is something inside of me. A beast, growling in my gut, and when I feed it, it just gets more angry."
Rowan is a PhD student, working late at the lab one night when a mysterious 'body' is brought in under armed guard. She is quickly sent home and told to forget the whole thing. . . but being ambitious and inquisitive is not a combination she can easily put aside.

I really liked this one! It had a great creepy vibe to it, especially in the first
Alexandra
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1018, 2017
I received an e-ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review. Review, blog tour and giveaway can be found on *Milky Way of Books*

You do realise that you actually miss a specific genre when you finally get a chance to read it again! For the lovers of supernatural and vampires, I give you PULSE! Danielle Koste manages within a standalone(?) novel to recreate an atmosphere of mystery gritty details, gory scenes and a hint of romance.

Rowan is a scientist who is eager to learn and to please.
Rapid Reader
In-depth and beautifully written.
Jordan Gormley
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've had the privilege to read Pulse through multiple editions and the editing process. Let me tell you, the work Danielle has put in has not been in vain.

When I read the book for the first time, I stayed up all night (despite it being a school night) and consumed it in 7 hours. Rowan is a strong protagonist who takes command of her story and sets the tone, both for the characters around her and the writing style.

Many people point out the fact that it's obvious what Lyall/paranormal genre is
Tapasya
This book was.....Incredible.
Going by the cover I thought it is some dark romance. But I was so happy that it was not.

It was a long time since I had my last book on my Top Sci-fi shelf. It's very rare to get a sci-fi book like I want. Usually sci-fi books are either young adults or too much erotics. I wanted a good romance with a bit of science. And I got exactly what I wanted.

Coming to the story. It was awesome. Rowan is a PhD student working in a laboratory. When a body is bought on a gurney
Jack Stark
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.08267473 stars.

You can read my more in depth review of this on my blog - Random Melon Reads!

I really liked this. Not your average vampire story. A dark, gritty story with a good blend between science fiction and fantasy that challenges the reader to question their own morals whilst being terrified. Jam packed with action and really strong characters. I did have a couple of minor dislikes with the story towards the end, but nothing that made a noticeable impact on my enjoyment of this.

Random
Danielle Steenrod
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I originally sawPulse over on my friend Meg's blog. I just so happened to comment on her posts (she has two posts about this book up on her blog: a review and interview) and Danielle saw my comment about wanting to read this book for myself. She reached out to me and asked if I would like an eARC of her book in return for an honest review. Of course I said yes! She sent me this book right away. I finished this book in less than 48 hours upon receiving it! Like, it was that good! Seriously. I ...more
Bree Howland
*received this book for free from the author in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts here are my own and are not influenced by receiving the book for free.

Why is every time I finish a really good book, the only thing I can think or say is ‘Holy Shit’. It’s like words completely fail me and I can’t form sentences anymore.

Let’s give this a try…

This book is not what I was expecting at all. Like… 100% I was completely expecting some paranormal romance trash (said with utmost love, because I
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
DNF @ 25%

I just could not get myself to be interested in this book.
Fleur (FranklyBooks)
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Humans are the worst kind of monsters.

I would just like to let everyone know that I received an ARC of this from the author in exchange for an honest review. Because I know we all like to spill tea every now and then, I’m going to start with the negatives and work my way up to the positives.

psst if this is too long and you want to read something that's structured a little better, this will be up on my blog soon.

Negatives

First things first, the prologue definitely needs some work. It’s a good
Julia (BrightBoldAndBookish)
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.75/5

This review maycontain mild spoilers for this book (What I consider spoilers might not be what you consider spoilers but I thought that I'd put it out there just in case). READERS YE BE WARNED!

(view spoiler)
Elif Caynak
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have had the privilege of watching Pulse grow from a rough draft into a complete, polished novel. I could hardly contain my excitement when I finally had my hands on a published copy of the novel that I first began reading back in 2013. Pulse and its author, Danielle Koste, did not disappoint. I read the entire book cover to cover in one afternoon. The sophisticated writing and development of the characters throughout the book keep you hanging on and craving more. The book is a must read for ...more
M.N. Arzu
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book as part of the blog tour to review. This in no way affects my opinion of the novel.

See my blog tour post and review on Books and Ladders!
S.Shade
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-books-read
It has been a while since I have read a book about the paranormal, but this was the perfect book to jump head first into and reignite my love for everything paranormal. It was very beautifully written and strong in the way of bold characters who stood for what they believed in.

Rowen is a scientist, ready to learn and please those around her. When a mysterious subject is brought to the facility she works at, she pushes herself onto the project to work with some of her greatest idols. Not all is
Jessie Seymour
I received a copy for an honest review

I gave this book 5 stars. It was one of those books I was unsure about but ended up not being able to put down. It was such an engaging sci-fi/new adult romance. I would highly recommend it.

Lyall was unexpected. I thought because of what he was, that he was going to be a basic brooding bad boy that was so moody that would be the only thing anyone could focus on. This was not the case. Lyall was such a little shit. Playing without protagonists emotions and
Shirley Cuypers
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, arc-beta, 2018
4.5/5*

Original review

This book was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Danielle Koste!

Pulse
tells the story of Rowan, who’s offered to work on a secret project involving a subject with supernatural abilities. The more she studies the subject, the more she’s fascinated, but is it safe for Rowan to study the subject?

I really liked the concept of this story because it’s about a woman and a monster, that feeds on human blood and has supernatural abilities, and not
Meagan
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I stayed up the whole night to finish this. All I can say is how PERFECTLY AMAZING this book was!!! The only thing I hated was that it ended. AGH! I just might have to re-read it.
chri
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: inkies
[1.5] So, IDC what they’re saying about vampires being an early 2000’s trend, over and done - give me a book about them and I’ll still read it happily. Enter, PULSE.

The premise was really cool! I really liked the idea of approaching the trope from a medical perspective, and appreciate the effort that went into setting up an overall atmosphere to match. But, while the writing didn’t hinder the story, and the set-up was interesting, the overall execution fell flat: it came off as a little
Lashanah Tillar
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cover-spazz
I won't beat around the bush: I've read this book many times and I even helped do the final beta read. For the potential bias, I took off one-star. This review will also be short because Pulse is best read with no fucking idea of what you're getting into.

So what can I say about Pusle?

1. This is not a vampire novel. Yes, the book has a bloodsucker of the violent variety, but you won't find any swooning heroines or brooding bad boys. This is story about science, violence, and morality.

2. This
Emily Taylor
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Overall: an enjoyable and easy reading YA story that doesn't try to be more than it is, doing well to keep focus on its centre: a dance between an young and ambitious scientist and a romanticised, dangerous subject.
Marit
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I won't beat around the bush: the book disappointed me. 2 stars for the potential. I desperately wanted to like it... I'm sorry, Danielle!

I was one of those Wattpad readers who has been awaiting this book for years (not even sure how many years, but too many nonetheless). I remember this story as unique, a new vantage point on vampires and it inspired me to write my own story. Over time details always become vague, but the idea was there. I really couldn't wait to read the finished, revised
Joanna Lopez
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love. Love. LOVE!
First let me just start by saying the reason I got this book was because I saw it was a new author and I like to read/support newer authors. Once I ordered the book, I seen some reviews about the book and couldn't wait to read it.
I started reading and immediately got addicted! I could not put the book down. The whole book was just well written and has a great flow. I've had so many mixed emotions while reading this book! It just gave me an awesome feeling while reading it. It
Jonathan Carter
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: A copy has been given to me by the author in exchange for an honest review. This did not affect my criticism towards the book. Any opinions I have made are mine and mine alone.

The writing of the book is great. It is very much fluid and really easy to get into, which is what we are looking for in a book. We don't like something that takes time to get to the point, and once it is there it could have been better without being too long.

Although, I think that it could have been better
AnneMarie
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The premise of the book is positively amazing. Where does one even begin for the book? There is so much to consider regarding character development, story, pace and more. The Author does such an amazing job crafting this piece of work that is, PULSE. There were multiple times I had to put the book down and go back to work, or having to do any other adulting.

But each scene on my mind regarding where the story would go. This wasn’t a book that you just put down, forget about, and then end up
Steph Spitzy
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was given a free kindle copy in exchange for an honest review.

Evil scientists and vampires, oh my!

Rowan Platts is working towards her doctorate. She's focused on one thing, and one thing only... success. She must have it, she will make a name for herself among her idols. Rowan is working late one night, and sees something she wasn't meant to see.

Rowan is given an opportunity that could very well make her career, and she's not even officially a doctor yet. As is often the case, what seems

• ; (Semicolon)
  • Under the Trees
  • Kingdom of Scars
  • Broken World (Broken World, #1)
  • Things That Go Bump in the Night (3:15 Season One)
  • Homer's Odyssey
  • Elementary, She Read (A Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery, #1)
  • Fire in Frost (Crystal Frost, #1)
  • Pumpkins in Paradise (Tj Jensen Paradise Lake Mystery #1)
  • Wesley the Owl: The Remarkable Love Story of an Owl and His Girl
  • The Dead House
  • Aliens Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • The Great Escape
  • Dirty Halo (The Forbidden Royals Trilogy, #1)
  • Malakai (Malakai #2)
  • Malakai (Malakai #1)
  • A Murder on Long Island (A Joey Mancuso, Father O'Brian Crime Mystery Book 2)
  • What We Do in the Light (Day to Night, #2)
Danielle Koste is a born and raised Canadian, but currently lives with her significant other in the equally snowy and cold Stockholm, Sweden. While working a day job and learning the language of the locals, she spendsher free time honing the craft she's always had a passion for.

When procrastinating, Danielle likes to enjoy other forms of rich story-telling, besides the obvious abundance of novels