Start by marking “Simplify: How the Best Businesses in the World Succeed” as Want to Read:
Simplify: How the Best Businesses in the World Succeed

Simplify: How the Best Businesses in the World Succeed

Are you ready to become the next market leader?

Investor and successful entrepreneur Richard Koch and venture capitalist Greg Lockwood have spent years researching what makes successful companies—such as IKEA, Apple, Uber, and Airbnb—achieve game-changing who status. The answer is simple: They Simplify.

Take Your Business from Startup to Game Changer. Start simplifying today
Published October 11th 2016 by Entrepreneur Press

To ask other readers questions about Simplify, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Simplify

Darren
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Here’s a powerful book that you may not want to miss, written by a serial entrepreneur and a venture capitalist, which looks at how to drastically increase the volume of your business by simplifying your product or service. For those who can change their offering, there can be a significant upside.

The authors carefully explain their methodology and process and show how other companies have successfully used a similar approach to great effect. A range of case studies adds great background knowled
Eugene
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-to-read
Hadi Sinaee
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Simplify" is a book about how most successful businesses in the world approach the customer and market. The authors believe that successful businesses are price-simplifiers or proposition-simplifiers. The book covers with lots of examples demonstrating successful businesses approach.
João Cortez
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This book takes the ideas that Michael Porter brought forward in the 80s that a company should decide to compete on price or on quality. In the book, two different strategies are described: Price Simplification, which means a price reduction of 50% or more (e.g.: McDonald's and Southwest Airlines) or Proposition Simplification, which means making the products simple and a joy to use (e.g. Apple). As stated, the ideas presented in this book are not original, and the book picks on a dozen of succe ...more
Monika Sembiring
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pm
I think Richard Koch uses his theory 'Simplify' in his own book. He makes it so understandable for general people like me. Very basic theory but yeah it's the fact: If you want to win the market, you must choose one, price-simplify or proporsition-simplify.
Steven
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
I think this book is one of the best books in explaining how to assess the potential and situations of every business.

I was initially hesitant to read this due to the varying comments from the review but I was glad I was able to read the review of Perry Marshall.

The book discusses that there are only two ways to gain SIGNIFICANT competitive advantage in your industry - price simplification (at least 50% reduction in price of your product as compared to your industry's standard price) or proposit
Aaron Lim
2 ideas of implementing simplicity:

1. Compete by reducing prices
2. Compete by identifying voids in the market, and innovate
Федор Кривов
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Книгу сократить бы раза в 2: мысль про ценоупрощение и принципиальное упрощение можно было бы развернуть и короче.

Благодаря упрощению и масштабу производства цена модели «Т» опустилась к 1914 году до 550 долларов, а количество проданных автомобилей составило 248307 штук. К 1917 году цена упала еще больше – до 360 долларов, а продажи подскочили до 785432 штук. В 1920 году было куплено 1, 25 миллиона машин модели «Т». По сравнению с 1909 годом цена машины снизилась на 63%, практически до трети пер
Michael Carter
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
The core advice in this book is profoundly useful for entrepreneurs, CEOs and consultants, but it could be half the length — like many business books it got repetitive in the second half. The challenge of focusing and simplifying — in effect, succeeding by doing less, not more — is a juicy paradox. The authors acknowledge that their Price Simplifier and Proposition Simplifier strategies are not the only available strategies but they give enough examples to prove their point that they should be c ...more
Jerome Campbell
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is solid. It provides concrete examples of how different businesses have created and expanded upon specific consumer markets (and some B2B). The number of businesses it covers is not expansive but it does give an in-depth look into the strategy each of these businesses put forth to dominate their prospective markets. The businesses it focused on are definitely "unicorns" but the book's principles can be applied to many business applications. Overall, it's well worth your time and you w ...more
Naomi
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite business books, as of recently. I found myself highlighting and making notes throughout the book, which I have not found lately. Numerous new concepts came to light for me with excellent and thorough descriptions. Can't forget the takeaways and assessments to get a deeper understanding of one's business.

This book will find its place on my office bookshelf and be pulled down for reference.
Kenneth Mack
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply makes it simpler. Clear and concise.

Koch did a great job of using stats and stories of iconic businesses who "simplified" as a strategy for stratospheric success. They described two dominant methods of simplifying and spoke from many viewpoints supporting each.

I'm a better entrepreneur after reading this, as it is much more clear on "what to do now" than say, after reading 80\20. Thank you authors, this is great work.
Muhammad Khan
I'm a huge fan of Richard Koch's work starting with his 80/20 principle.
Simplify is one book every CEO must read! Highly thought provoking, backed by case study analysis of some of the world's most successful companies. And the interesting but is it all comes down to two simple patterns: price simplify or proposition simplify.
A must read for anyone finding themselves needing to explore new product and business ideas.
Peter
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-for-cash
There are two ways for a company to Simplify and win big. Choose one (or die).
1. Price. Cutting the price in half can expand the market and increase sales by hundreds of times. Focus on the essentials can make this possible.
2. Proposition. Make your product simple to use. Make it elegant and awesome.

The book has plenty of examples, and includes a section on how to survive when your competition simplifies.
Lukas Slavik
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book is very structured and well thought. The author sticks to its principle, does not complicate, provides clear, specific examples and easy-to-follow quantified research results. Therefore it was easy for me to finish the book in only 4 days, whilst the value added remains very high! My background and persuation (a fan of simplification since ever) may have helpef, but I am sure, everyone can understand the book and have much fun reading it!
Darren Chuah
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it
A few simple concept revolves mainly around McDonald, Ikea, Ford, Apple ...most of the chapters are using repetitive examples, same theory in different context. Author could’ve simplified this book into 100 pages. These basic concepts such as price simplifier and proposition simplifier are indeed life changing tho, I’m just saying that it could be done without repetition of stories and philosophy.
Antonín Sander
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, non-fiction
I cant say that this book has discovered America, but it still brings many impulses and stories from the business world. I especially liked the stories about the companies that grow, grow and grow thanks to simplifying. I recommend this book for everyone who is interested in bringing new ideas into his business or just for getting more all-round knowledge. ...more
Mitchell Walker
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you are in business for yourself or have a major role in the strategic choices made in a business, you better read this book. This explains both the rise and the fall of an empire in a competitive environment.
Lynn Dorman, Ph.D.
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting take on business with many "sort of" case studies. Not my kind of book as it is filled with stories of VERY large businesses and how they implement simplification... but it has some good ideas for solo-entrepreneurs as well as mega businesses.
Josh  Spurlock
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Concepts just make sense. I would recommend to any entrepreneur. Straightforward and practical with interesting case examples to illustrate the concepts.
William Ng
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating book. Made me see business from a new perspective.
Amith Guthi
Oct 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Rens Krijgsman
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Simpel
Rhythima
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business-startup
Nice structure of examples and then the strategies. Recommended for better understanding your own businesses and markets.
Erdem Ekinci
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading the book, I said myself that "I know what to do hereupon".
Kwang Wei Long
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Valid and insightful concepts.
Simplify applies to identifying the next big thing and dominating the market share. The concepts has it's merit. The book also went on to cover some aspect where the theory does not apply.

Only 2 ways to simplify, through price or proposition but almost never both at the same time.
Ismail Elshareef
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: business, nonfiction
To simplify is to make tradeoffs in either pricing or the value proposition of your product. Tradeoffs are hard to make and require effective decision making skills. Read this book after reading the Effective Executive. The dots will connect better, I believe.
Nathanael
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Inspiring and insightful. A great review of how many businesses have succeeded.
Hossein Nasrabadi
Feb 23, 2018 marked it as to-read
کورس مدیریت محصول
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Grid: The Decision-making Tool for Every Business (Including Yours)
  • You Are a Brand!: How Smart People Brand Themselves for Business Success
  • The Sticking Point Solution: 9 Ways to Move Your Business from Stagnation to Stunning Growth InTough Economic Times
  • The Neo-Generalist: Where You Go Is Who You Are
  • Likeonomics: The Unexpected Truth Behind Earning Trust, Influencing Behavior, and Inspiring Action
  • The Promise of the Grand Canyon: John Wesley Powell's Perilous Journey and His Vision for the American West
  • Design, When Everybody Designs: An Introduction to Design for Social Innovation
  • The Kelly Capital Growth Investment Criterion: Theory and Practice
  • Rise of the DEO: Leadership by Design
  • How to Measure Anything in Cybersecurity Risk
  • The Financial Times Guide to Investing: The Definitive Companion to Investment and the Financial Markets
  • FIRE: How Fast, Inexpensive, Restrained, and Elegant Methods Ignite Innovation
  • Art Thinking: How to Carve Out Creative Space in a World of Schedules, Budgets, and Bosses
  • Investing in REITs: Real Estate Investment Trusts
  • Buy It, Rent It, Profit!: Make Money as a Landlord in ANY Real Estate Market
  • Rolling Rocks Downhill: Accelerate Agile using Goldratt's TOC
  • The Last Safe Investment: Spending Now to Increase Your True Wealth Forever
  • The Strategy Book
“being mostly correct and decisive typically yields better results than taking the time to figure out what is perfectly correct.” 3 likes
“Almost anyone can think up an idea. The thing that counts is developing it into a practical product. 4 Henry Ford” 1 likes