Start by marking “Crick Crack, Monkey” as Want to Read:
Crick Crack, Monkey

Crick Crack, Monkey

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  501 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
A revealing novel of childhood about Tee who is being made socially acceptable by her Aunt Beatrice so that she can cope with the caste system of Trinidad.
Published February 21st 2001 by Heinemann Educational Books (first published January 1st 1970)

Jen
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
honestly I liked this book a lot, I felt like I could relate to tee and her struggle of being caught between western and nonwestern cultures. idk. this is a pretty easy book to read in terms of the text but the issues it confronts are a lot more difficult imo - like I finished it and I just felt sad for her and for tantie and in general the whole system, the idea of never belonging to either culture and wanting to escape but we as readers know she really can't

also this book did a really good jo
Don Corcoran
Sep 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Crick Crack, Monkey follows a little girl in her struggle between the two matriarchs in her life. It revolves around the lives of post-colonial Trinidadian children, in this case a girl named Tee. Its a harsh but authentic critique of post-colonial education and a damning example of institutional racism and classism, pitting the identity of this little girl between indigenous culture and colonial culture. Hodge develops a narrative that is both accessible and sometimes difficult to read. A must ...more
Maria C
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I found this book to be surprisingly repeatable. Especially at the end. Many of the things Tee comes to realize and the decisions she makes about the two worlds she is part of are very similar to what I experienced when I moved to the US.

Crick Crack Monkey follows the story of young Cynthia or Tee during the years she spends without her parents. tuck living with extended family, Tee finds herself struggling to fit into Tantie's rural,carefree world and Aunt Beatrice's educated but still Caribbe
Jamie Gonzalez
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is by far one of the best books I have read. I feel a back story conning on but I will spare you from it. I first read this book in my second year of high school at Edward p Yorke.
Veronica Olivera
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Crick Crack Monkey is a really great book because uses words that appeal to your visual sense. It creates imagery flashing back to our childhood. I like the use of dialect and the words that I have never seen before. Not having the power to make a decision leads Tee accepts to live with her Aunt Beatrice when she wins a scholarship to keep studying. Tee's life is a tremendous change.
Ansana
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much.
Stephanie Folarin
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Tee is a child trapped between two worlds, the haves and the have nots. Her father emigrated to England and his sister Tantie remained behind to help raise Tee. Tee’s mother is deceased and her sister, Aunt Beatrice, is left behind to aid in Tee’s upbringing as well. Tantie cares for Tee when she is young and then Aunt Beatrice gains custody of Tee during her formative years. Tantie fills Tee’s childhood with joy and simplicity. Tee is able to enjoy the world and the people around her without bi ...more
Saheeda
I remember reading this book back in 2007. Being a person of the West Indian heritage,(Trinidad and Tobago) i could have empathized with the characters through out the novel. I really sympathized with the main protagonist Tee. Her life was really a challenging one. Merle Hodge really captured the Caribbean spirit in the writing of this book and the scenes are really true to typical Caribbean life, so for all readers who do not have a first hand experience/knowledge of Caribbean life, Merle Hodge ...more
Nancy
Oct 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Book no. 5 in preparation for a class that begins in a few days - probably the weakest of the group. Great for atmosphere, dialect, coming-of-age experiences in the West Indies. Particularly strong in portraying conflict between country and city, lower class and middle class, color barriers and prejudices. A little disjointed. Dialect a little tough to follow.

Much anticipation of the comparisons between these books - certainly when contrasted with "A Mercy." Toni Morrison looms large over these
Anna Aerys
Mar 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Caribbean Natives
this book is seriously a very good book. i love the use of creole in it... that is so different for what i am used to in a book. i really appreciate that. the story is so awesome and i can relate to the girl in so many ways. the drama with Tantie and Aunt Beatrice and the way how caribbean people try so hard to be american/english in the way the live, speak etc. it highlights all of this foolishness. the book makes me proud to be who i am for some reason.

outside of this, the story itself is very
Aj
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
At first I didn't like this book. I couldn't get past chapter 2 as I couldn't understand the Trinidadian dialect or anything at all. But since this is a literature book for me, once my teacher explained some stuff I could understand.
The only reason I finished thus book is because I have exams actually. Anyway once I went up to chapter 10 it became interesting and I read everything in about two days.
The ending of this book made me cry as Tee is now confused and doesn't want to identify with Tan
Sally Whitehead
I first read this almost twenty years ago and absolutely loved it, but at the time I was wholly immersed in my own personal discovery of Caribbean Women's Writing.

My re-read was enjoyable, and I can still fully appreciate the coming of age of Tee and the conflicting duality of her upbringing in two very different settings. But it didn't grab me in the same way second time around.

Perhaps I will read Hodge's only other novel, written 23 years after this one...
Russ Weems
Apr 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the contrast between Tee's two childhoods in Crick, Crack Monkey. The life Aunt Tantie gives her is urban and lower class. Her life with Aunt Beatrice is urban, upper middle class, and Eurocentric. This contrast allows Hodge to look at race, gender, and identity in and interesting way. Also, the use of a child narrator who is often not fully aware of her situation gives the novel an interesting perspective. I enjoyed the style and subject matter of Crick, Crack Monkey.
Liz
Nov 26, 2007 rated it liked it
This is one of those books that looks small and then once you get into it you realize there is so much meaning stuffed into every page. About a girl originally named Tee, it tells the story of her life as she travels from the home of her Tantie to the home of her Aunt Beatrice. In her travels she struggles to realize her identity and is constantly left with a feeling of outsider and other.
Karen Davis
Aug 02, 2015 rated it liked it
I once used this as a reading in my Caribbean Humanities course. Although Merle Hodge's writing can stand on its own, this book pales (no pun intended) in comparison with Toni Morrison's The Bluest Eye, which has a similar theme. General rating, 3 stars, but increased to 4 for followers of Caribbean history, culture, society, and literature.
Ramona Chanderballi
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Now I love Caribbean books and this was one of those goodreads. It's sad compared to the general cheery tones one would come to expect from coming of age Caribbean books but it's a feminist's awakening. It's a young girl's struggle to find the good life that she knows she deserves.
Sam Gilbert
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was my set literature book for Form 3. I like the synopsis for this book. I remember being frustrated while reading this book. The protagonist is so confused and I did not understand her at all. But then, I live a charmed life.
Arshaad
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
As with any locally authored work, an easy read due in part to the familiarity of the various themes being explored.
Pretty Prim
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: crick
i dont lik this i cant even read the book
Nesrine Flower
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Good
Amy
Jul 11, 2012 rated it liked it
I was surprised that it was so good as I had to read it for a school assignment. It really portrayed the West Indian culture. Thumbs up to Merle Hodge!!
Shan
Apr 22, 2012 added it
dunno
Kris
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Short little book with a big message about social stratification.
Samantha
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was great, although slow at parts, it was an interesting journey with Tee.
Kimoya Reads
this was the first school text book given to read, that I actually read and I'm glad I did, I enjoyed this book up to this day I cant believe I read it all to the end. that's how it good.
Reesa Kamaluddin
Kelley-Ann Lindo
Jan 14, 2016
Wjeanv
Dec 24, 2016
500 Great Books B...: Crick Crack, Monkey - Merle Hodge 1 9 Jul 13, 2014 05:42PM
Tantie and Tee's relationship 1 4 Mar 16, 2013 02:13PM
  • In the Castle of My Skin
  • Harriet's Daughter
  • The Wine of Astonishment
  • Forget Sorrow: An Ancestral Tale
  • American Knees
  • Working IX to V: Orgy Planners, Funeral Clowns, and Other Prized Professions of the Ancient World
  • Abeng
  • Beka Lamb
  • Minty Alley
  • Can the subaltern speak? : Postkolonialität und subalterne Artikulation
  • Postcards from Tomorrow Square: Reports from China
  • Green Days by the River (Caribbean Writers Series)
Merle Hodge (born 1944) is a Trinidadian novelist and critic. Her 1970 novel Crick Crack, Monkey is a classic of West Indian literature.

Merle Hodge was born in 1944, in Curepe, Trinidad, the daughter of an immigration officer. She received both her elementary and high-school education in Trinidad, and as a student of Bishop Anstey High School, she won the Trinidad and Tobago Girls' Island Scholars
More about Merle Hodge...