Start by marking “Textbook Amy Krouse Rosenthal” as Want to Read:
Textbook Amy Krouse Rosenthal

Textbook Amy Krouse Rosenthal

The bestselling author of Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life returns with a literary experience that is unprecedented, unforgettable, and explosively human.

In the ten years since the publication of her beloved, groundbreaking Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life, #1 New York Times bestselling author Amy Krouse Rosenthal has been quietly tinkering away. Using her distinct blend
Published August 9th 2016 by Dutton

To ask other readers questions about Textbook Amy Krouse Rosenthal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Textbook Amy Krouse Rosenthal

Michael
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, 2016
This is book is very short, when you consider the amount of white space. But it contains so much. So much love, so many thought-provoking passages, so much of all of our lives.

In retrospect, the white space is there to allow you time to think, and to soak it all in.
Gretchen Alice
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This should have been just another volume in the Amy Krouse Rosenthal collection. Instead, a month after the release of this book, Amy was diagnosed with cancer. She published the article "You May Want To Marry My Husband" at the beginning of March and when it went viral, I avoided it for a while because 1) it sounded depressing as hell and 2) I didn't realize it was written by one of my favorite writers. Then someone made the connection and, well, cut to me clicking on the article in the middle ...more
Linda Hart
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this quirky, fun, sweet, optimistic, highly relatable book. An "experimental memoir," it is a wonderful glimpse into a woman's life and feels like chatting with a best friend. It is an interactive book that contains a pre-test, midterm, and post-test for the reader. It can be read in just a few hours, but if you are like I, you will want to get your own copy, reread it, and give it as a gift to people you love. It is whimsical, poetic and unlike anything I've ever read. It will make you ...more
Janis
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
How to describe this entirely delightful and lovely book? I guess I’ll call it an interactive memoir. The author shares thoughts and vignettes from her life, sometimes using diagrams and drawings, and invites the reader to participate with texts. She made me laugh and think, and broke my heart a little, and made me glad that the world has Amy Krouse Rosenthal in it. Look for it on its publication date of 8/9/16.
Thom
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
FTC Compliance - this review of of Textbook Amy Krouse Rosenthal is for an Advanced Reader Copy received from the author.

This author is a textbook case of positivism, and this book is her latest attempt to reach out and touch her audience, making their lives better.

I enjoyed the layout much more than her previous book, Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life. The various anecdotes and experiences are categorized into "subjects", which could allow the reader to set their own course curriculum. I read it
Marilyn
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a message from a friend to whom I had given a copy of Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life several years ago--I think I had multiple copies of it. She informed me of the death of Ms. Krouse Rosenthal. I spent some time watching her alive and well on youtube--TedTalks etc., read her poignant posting in a recent New York Times,then downloaded this on my Kindle, and spent the afternoon reading it. It seemed the least I could do to honor her name. Pure delight. Oh how she will be missed--not ...more
Jen
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, memoir, nonfiction
Sometimes you mean to read a book. You've heard a few friends and even some patrons mention it, but it just keeps slipping beneath your radar until one day you finally pick it up off the shelf and dig in.

Why did I wait so long to read this? It may be the best book I have ever read, ever. It's a quick read but I found it best to savor each entry. I, of course, am reading it after Amy's death but can FEEL her on every page. I never met her, but I'll be damned if reading this isn't a glimpse into
Catherine
Nov 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, non-fiction
Much like Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life, this book is sweet & quirky. It feels like chatting with a friend you don't see very often, but always remember how much you like her when you do bump into her.

I mean, look at the author with her dog:

photo IMG_20161125_160917660.jpg

Who wouldn't want to hang out with this woman?

But notice all that white space? That's not unusual in this book. It's heavy on the cute quirkiness & pretty light on the actual content.*

Organized into "subjects" (Geography, Social Studies, Art, Sc
Devin
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If I could write a book like this, I would be happy. It's a perfect memoir/collection of snippets of life. And like my friend said, "small snippets > big stories." I think AKR and I would be friends. I HONESTLY cannot believe there is another soul who looks at boxes of Qtips the same way I do. Very quick read.
Jill Pickle
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I have no idea how to describe this book, but I know it made me very, very happy.

I was trying to read, text the author, and hold the straps on the train so I don't fall down which meant that...well, fall down it is.

Please don't deny yourself the opportunity to text a self-portrait to the author or vote on the curly/straight bracket bracket game.

Some of my favorite stories were the ones about serendipity. And the purple flower moments--wow. It's so heart squeezey to see an author's interaction
Rebekah O'Dell
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is utterly magical. I was even more charmed by this than Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life. And her death has made this book even more heartbreaking -- and also life giving. A must read, and one I will joyfully return to again and again and again.
Tamara
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: being-human
Kind of like a book version of the movie Amelie? Or like the best game of what-shapes-do-you-see-in-the-cloudst? Not really at all like those things, but it gave me the same warm-and-cozy feel. Spoonfuls of whimsy and playfulness.
Paula
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh, I loved this book!

I picked it up on the recommendation of my nephew. I wasn't familiar with Amy Krouse Rosenthal or her books, and I was so sad to learn that she passed away shortly after writing this one. I obviously never met Amy, but she seems like the kind of person I would have been friends with, or wanted to be friends with. She seems positive, funny, witty and kind. I can't help being sad she is no longer here.

I fell in love with this book on page one. It is different, funny,
Peter Derk
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
As a reading experience, it's pretty unusual. It's highly interactive, and more than that, it's a memoir that's more interested in connecting readers to each other than it is in connecting readers to the author.

If for no other reason, you should check it out because there aren't a lot of reading experiences that are different from the left to right, ordered text arranged chronologically. Which is weird, right?

I mean, you've got your Houses of Leaves, which is different. You've got your Ships of
Janssen
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, memoirs, non-fiction
I just really enjoyed this one. Full review coming.
Misty
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is one of the most unusual books I’ve ever read. It’s also a wonder, as much a piece of community art as it is a book. It affirms the small joys and mysteries of life while encouraging us to connect with one another, both through the short observational pieces that make up the book and with its central premise.

I somehow missed the introduction of the book. So I was confused when the book instructed you to text certain words at different parts in the book. I thought it was a literary d
Melanie
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, nonfiction
I read this library book in a day and then promptly got on Amazon and ordered a copy to keep on my bookshelf. This is one of those books that I'll want to read every year. Amy has such a talent for enjoying the moment, for connecting with people. This book is a smattering of thoughts and ideas. There are poems and pictures and interactive portions in which you can text a message or upload a picture. The title Textbook is, in part, a literal description: a book that instructs you to text. One of ...more
Julie
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't think I can adequately describe how and why I loved this memoir so much. I cried about a billionty times and it was worth every tissue. You can text with Amy (from heaven?). She was remarkable and kind and all I want is to rewind time and know her. Or maybe be her. At a time when I had just had long talks with my friend, Kate, about serendipity and coincidence, Amy KR spoke to me about it, too. I finished the book last night and, after climbing back out of bed to go kiss my babies good n ...more
Mary
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book. Its message of gratitude and being present is made all the more poignant and urgent knowing that the author died shortly after the book's publication. What a lovely person she was. Reading this book is like spending precious time with a wise, forgiving, funny, generous, loving, friend.
Mary
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amy is my new favorite author and I'm devastated that she has passed away. I'm going to devour the rest of her books. Her textbook is so real and I can't wait to write "math equations" with my students!
Estee
May 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After I read this book I felt:
a. I liked this book
b. I didn't like this book
c. I am not sure how I feel but I was curious about it
Pam
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Totally unexpected, quirky, and engrossing. Highly recommend.
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is delightful. I was afraid that the texting component would not be available since AKR died last year, but I was thrilled to receive answers to my texts and see current user-generated content to www.textbookamykr.com.

I think I will buy this one to keep on my shelf and visit when I'm feeling down.
Katie Bananas
I just DNFed this audiobook. Absolutely atrocious!! Ridiculous!!! It's not worth rating; it wasn't for me. I'm not sure if she's supposed to be funny or even what the mood of the book should be. As the title implies, it's a textbook, so I'm bored with her talking, because I'm not exactly asking for another monotone professor.
Katie Sluiter
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just like the title, Textbook will be one that sits on my shelf to be referenced over and over. ❤ AKR
Gail Grow
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It seems like cheating to count this towards my 50 books, and yet....I loved it. It made me pause and think and laugh and celebrate being human.
Barbara
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was a beautiful arrangement of words, thoughts, and musings, and I loved it! I find that now I am eager to watch videos and read articles about Amy! The fact that she died at such a young age makes the book even more meaningful. I’m so happy that I was encouraged to read this one.
Joelle
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It's unlike any book I have ever read, and is touching, funny, a little strange, and true all at once.
Thekelburrows
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The passing of Amy Krouse Rosenthal makes me incredibly and insanely sad. May she be granted an endless supply of yellow umbrellas and pecan pies in the afterlife.
Meredith
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
AKR was a genius. Before her death, I only knew her as a children's picture book author. ("Exclamation Mark" is one of my favorites.) But when I read her Encyclopedia, I realized that she was a quirky, deeply sensitive, inventive, funny person. Textbook is even better. I'm so sad to know that she is gone, and we won't get anything else from her brain. The Art chapter and the Science Experiments were amazing - she was kind of a performance artist as well. Using words mostly.

Definitely go to the
  • Last Things: A Graphic Memoir of Loss and Love
  • Heating  Cooling: 52 Micro-Memoirs
  • Brave Jane Austen: Reader, Writer, Author, Rebel
  • Catastrophic Happiness: Finding Joy in Childhood's Messy Years
  • Anything But Ordinary Addie: The True Story of Adelaide Herrmann, Queen of Magic
  • The Scraps Book
  • I Can't Complain: (All Too) Personal Essays
  • Some Writer!: The Story of E. B. White
  • Ruth Bader Ginsburg: The Case of R.B.G. vs. Inequality
  • Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six-Word Memoirs by Writers Famous and Obscure
  • Into the Minds of Babes: How Screen Time Affects Children From Birth to Age Five
  • Slaughterhouse 90210: Where Great Books Meet Pop Culture
  • The Best Cigarette

SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was.
She divided her time.

NOT SO SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was a person who liked to make things.
Some things she liked to make include:

Children's books. (Little Pea, Spoon, DuckRabbit)
Grown-up books. (Textbook Amy Krouse Rosenthal, Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life)
Short films. (The Beckoning of Lovely, The Money Tree)
Guided journals. (The Belly Book)
Something o
“Just look at us, all of us, quietly doing our thing and trying to matter. The earnestness is inspiring and heartbreaking at the same time.” 25 likes
“Nothing > Love.” 4 likes